Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yoga vs Weights [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do yoga regularly for my flexibility, strength, balance, ect. If you don't believe that it doesn't make you stronger then you haven't tried it or tried it to the level of doing balances and hand stands.

I too laughed at yoga while I was lifting weights in my 20's and 30's and was convinced to give yoga a try and it didn't take long for me to realize my ideas and thoughts on yoga were way off base.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Run For Money wrote:
Why don't you do both?

The problem with lifting weights is that most people think you need to do 2 body parts a day or something like that.

Why not throw 1 or 2 days a week where you Lift Weights for 30 mins a day, I do 4 sets of chest, bi's, tri's back, shoulders, legs, super set everything, for example 1 set of flat bench followed by a set of flat bench flys immediately, x2) I also do a set of core or functional strength in between each super set if that makes sense, like 20 sit ups, 20 push ups, dips, pull ups, core work, etc

Do yoga once or twice a week for flexibility...and the other stuff you mentioned

This. You can get an incredible full body workout in 30-45 minutes. Stick to the basics (in order of importance): squat, deadlifts, chest press, pull ups, shoulder press and dips, and superset everything. Doing variations of those will hit nearly everything. If you're worried about core strength or stability, incorporate balance in to the workouts (chest press under a ball, instead of a bench, squat on a half ball, etc). If you work out 2-3 times a week, you really don't have to worry about gaining mass. You just wont (especially if you're still SBR'ing quite a bit).

I used to work out regularly. Not obsessively, but I always played sports and hit the weights as cross training. When I stopped weights 2 years ago to strictly SBR, then went back this summer, I was amazed at the strength I've lost. Never again will I neglect weight training.

Completely agree. Squats and deadlifts are king. I'd suggest a strict press and over the bench press as a superior all-around exercise, but you should do both regardless. Pullups and maybe power cleans.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [lhpoulin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree with the above post. Squats and deadlifts are KING! The biggest piece of advise I can give you is stay away from the machines. They will isolate the larger muscles and take away the use of the smaller muscles used to balance the weight. The more you can do standing and with free weights the better. I currently follow starting strength and it works great for me. The only thing I use a machine for is calf raises and I will probably change that soon. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions or need some suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
For those of you who are more of the DIY here are the 3 sessions I do on a weekly basis in the comfort of my home. You'll likely have seen posts on here from Gary Hall Sr and his wife Amy Hall who produced these wonderful videos. Enjoy!

Shoulders - 18:46
Legs - 17:03
Core - 22:39

I tried the core video the other day. That's a tough one. I was pretty happy I only have one yoga block so I could take a break and lay down and feel sorry for myself while they did scale pose.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:
For those of you who are more of the DIY here are the 3 sessions I do on a weekly basis in the comfort of my home. You'll likely have seen posts on here from Gary Hall Sr and his wife Amy Hall who produced these wonderful videos. Enjoy!

Shoulders - 18:46
Legs - 17:03
Core - 22:39

I tried the core video the other day. That's a tough one. I was pretty happy I only have one yoga block so I could take a break and lay down and feel sorry for myself while they did scale pose.

Yeah there are a few advanced poses in these sessions. They are nothing to scoff at that it for sure. I use the tough ones as my gauge for progress. As I get "yoga fit" I'm hoping these become easier and easier to execute. At the moment there are a number of them that I am just shaking my head and thinking "is that even human"? Glad to see some other folks are getting use of these videos!

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply

Prev Next