Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Yoga vs Weights
Quote | Reply
I am not a huge believer in strength training for triathlon "performance."
But I do be believe in the "use it or loose theory" of strength.
I am moving into my late 40s. I realize that swimming, biking, and running might not prevent all loss of strength.
It might also be fun to do some different workouts this "off season."

Weight training advantages that I see-
1) Supposedly heavy weights increase natural testosterone?
(Not sure if this is a likely benefit or not).
2) Measurable and systematic- will provide more finite gains in strength.

Yoga advantages-
1) Increases flexibility
2) Improves balance
3) Uses different muscles in different ways- maybe this is the kind of strength training I need most.

I am favoring Yoga.
Maybe - I want to do a 10 week training block where I:
1) improve my swimming sprinting, 2) do yoga, 3) increase my 10s power on the bike, and 4) try not too loose too much bike and run fitness.

Any ideas. Thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:
I am moving into my late 40s. I realize that swimming, biking, and running might not prevent all loss of strength.

Yoga advantages-
1) Increases flexibility
2) Improves balance
3) Uses different muscles in different ways- maybe this is the kind of strength training I need most.

I am favoring Yoga.
1) improve my swimming sprinting, 2) do yoga, 3) increase my 10s power on the bike, and 4) try not too loose too much bike and run fitness.

Any ideas. Thoughts.

I may get lit up for this from more seasoned and knowledgeable people than I. But, I never understood this almost fear of strength training in endurance sports. Not saying you go that far, but if I could get a bit stronger by lifting weights and continue building my endurance engine why not? You don't have to be a body builder but strength training has it's place. Although a much smaller place than other sports.

In short, do both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Pilates, best of both worlds. Call around your area and find a certified instructor who works with athletes. It's great for all 3 sports. First few sessions are hard but once you get the moves, your fundtional strength will improve dramatically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to build strength (or prevent loss of strength) and help prevent injury, then lift weights. Yoga is good for flexibility and focus but it probably won't increase your strength at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you do both?

The problem with lifting weights is that most people think you need to do 2 body parts a day or something like that.

Why not throw 1 or 2 days a week where you Lift Weights for 30 mins a day, I do 4 sets of chest, bi's, tri's back, shoulders, legs, super set everything, for example 1 set of flat bench followed by a set of flat bench flys immediately, x2) I also do a set of core or functional strength in between each super set if that makes sense, like 20 sit ups, 20 push ups, dips, pull ups, core work, etc

Do yoga once or twice a week for flexibility...and the other stuff you mentioned
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to admit I have tried, desperately to like yoga. But truthfully it drives me round the bend. As far as weights are concerned, aside from the fact that all of the three sports, have always used weights and in distance running are beginning to use them even more, I have found that the muscle loss from aging can be slowed with weight training. It is not a replacement for aerobic fitness, but if you don't have the strength to apply, I cannot see how the aerobic fitness can be fully utilized.

From my own experience I have managed to maintain similar times for several years in an age group where even a couple of years sees a precipitous fall in performance. Mind you, I still run like a duck, with or without weights.

Take the first ten weeks over Christmas and January and try it. But as a word of warning, if you don't eat properly use proper supplements (protein add nauseum seems to be the underlying requirement) you won't gain anything. Find a good program that is sport related and go for it. Stay the heck away from maximum weight programs and work within your limits, otherwise you will almost certainly bugger something up. Every heavy lifter l know is walking wounded.

Free weights adding testosterone is a stretch (what one thing does the other taketh away) but it does do a lot for bone density.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:

Yoga advantages-
1) Increases flexibility
2) Improves balance

I am favoring Yoga.

Any ideas. Thoughts.

I would say that you should make sure your yoga outfit matches your purse. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
I have to admit I have tried, desperately to like yoga. But truthfully it drives me round the bend. As far as weights are concerned, aside from the fact that all of the three sports, have always used weights and in distance running are beginning to use them even more, I have found that the muscle loss from aging can be slowed with weight training. It is not a replacement for aerobic fitness, but if you don't have the strength to apply, I cannot see how the aerobic fitness can be fully utilized.

From my own experience I have managed to maintain similar times for several years in an age group where even a couple of years sees a precipitous fall in performance. Mind you, I still run like a duck, with or without weights.

Take the first ten weeks over Christmas and January and try it. But as a word of warning, if you don't eat properly use proper supplements (protein add nauseum seems to be the underlying requirement) you won't gain anything. Find a good program that is sport related and go for it. Stay the heck away from maximum weight programs and work within your limits, otherwise you will almost certainly bugger something up. Every heavy lifter l know is walking wounded.

Free weights adding testosterone is a stretch (what one thing does the other taketh away) but it does do a lot for bone density.

If you eat properly you don't need supplements. Even weight training where you are trying to add bulk, which an endurance athlete will want to avoid anyway, you can easily get enough protein from a reasonable diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a personal experience point of view, which is, as we all know, perfectly scientific, as long as it's applied to only one person, the protein supplements that I used (cheapest I could find at the drugstore) resulted in muscle growth where a particular muscle (or group) was targeted. And no I will not be featured in any magazines as an example of perfect body modelling.

As for bulking up, which again is an assumed result, after 6 months of reasonable training, no particular diet regime (although my wife refuses to eat salad anymore), other than replacing cookies with fruit and adding protein shakes to the mix after a workout, I am about 5 lbs under my normal racing weight.

So I eat whatever I get, supplement lightly, exercise sensibly (like any Triathlete is sensible) and I came out slightly stronger, slightly faster (than I expected) and slightly lighter. As for eating properly so as to avoid supplements, that might require more time than my wife might consider sensible. :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I re read your post, you did say if you don't eat properly.

My point is simple though you don't need supplements. The muscle growth is due to the excersise of the targeted muscles. They would have responded with or without the protein supplements unless your diet really did lack protein which is unlikely as so many foods contain protein.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
From a personal experience point of view, which is, as we all know, perfectly scientific, as long as it's applied to only one person, the protein supplements that I used (cheapest I could find at the drugstore) resulted in muscle growth where a particular muscle (or group) was targeted. And no I will not be featured in any magazines as an example of perfect body modelling.

As for bulking up, which again is an assumed result, after 6 months of reasonable training, no particular diet regime (although my wife refuses to eat salad anymore), other than replacing cookies with fruit and adding protein shakes to the mix after a workout, I am about 5 lbs under my normal racing weight.

So I eat whatever I get, supplement lightly, exercise sensibly (like any Triathlete is sensible) and I came out slightly stronger, slightly faster (than I expected) and slightly lighter. As for eating properly so as to avoid supplements, that might require more time than my wife might consider sensible. :0)

I despair. You agree your don't eat properly so rely on supplements. Learn to feed yourself properly or get a new wife who will feed you properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not doing the right kind of yoga if you really think this.

If you try a vinyasa power flow class, I guarantee you'll build just as much strength - while working on flexibility, balance, body awareness & breath control - as you would with any weight program that a triathlete is going to do.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a rich man with a prenup or unmarried.?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On 4th wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still on my 1st.
Unlikely to change.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

If you try a vinyasa power flow class, I guarantee you'll build just as much strength - while working on flexibility, balance, body awareness & breath control - as you would with any weight program that a triathlete is going to do.

I also did not think of Yoga as a strength building activity.
But last week I went to an advanced class.
"How hard can it be. It is only Yoga." I thought.

I was astounded by my ineptitude.
Lack of strength was certainly the problem.
But it was a weird stength- using weird muscles in weird ways.
Sure- no doubt I could have beaten up 4/5 of the guys in a fight.
But I was the one who looked like a wimpy fool.

It occurred to me that this might be precisely the kind of strength training an aging triathlete needs. Something that works disused muscles in unusual ways.

But I am uncertain. This is why I ask.
Yoga does seem disorganized.
Which might make strength gains unpredictable and fleeting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every try TRX? I'm working on that now, and it seems to really help the core as well as strength. Seems less boring to me than weights and I sure sweat a lot more!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I also did not think of Yoga as a strength building activity.
But last week I went to an advanced class.
"How hard can it be. It is only Yoga." I thought.

I was astounded by my ineptitude.
Lack of strength was certainly the problem.
But it was a weird stength- using weird muscles in weird ways.
Sure- no doubt I could have beaten up 4/5 of the guys in a fight.
But I was the one who looked like a wimpy fool.

It occurred to me that this might be precisely the kind of strength training an aging triathlete needs. Something that works disused muscles in unusual ways.

But I am uncertain. This is why I ask.
Yoga does seem disorganized.
Which might make strength gains unpredictable and fleeting.

There's a lot of strength involved in yoga, and as you get more advanced and get deeper into poses, you sometimes need even more strength to hold them. It's a lot of core strength, but the warrior poses and chair pose do a lot for leg strength. Balance poses are good for calf strength too.

Yoga gives you strength, flexibility, range of motion, balance, etc. You'll discover a lot about your strengths and weaknesses and imbalances between the right and left side of your body doing yoga.

I'm surprised you find it disorganized. There's kind of standard flow to most classes.

fwiw, my best season was the year I got into yoga. I was able to handle more intensity and no injuries or major aches and pains at all that year. I got out of the yoga habit and have come back to it this fall trying to increase my flexibility and overall strength. I usually go to a moderate class, not power yoga, and sometimes yin.

If nothing else, yoga is good for stress relief. I always leave class relaxed and stress free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rough stuff to jump straight into an advanced class. If I did that without about a month of prep I'd be unable to move the next day. That said, one of the greatest benefits of yoga should be the ability to "challenge by choice"...if I'm a more regular student than others I should be able to settle deeper into the poses &/or add more challenging elements - a spinal twist for most may equal side crow for some.

Yoga works on all of the body - but the biggest challenge that multisport athletes will often find is the smaller muscles are the weaker ones, those that control the finer points of movement & balance. Quads of steel, but adductors of jelly.

I promise that there is nothing unorganized about it, typically there is a steady flow designed to move in a progression (depending on the type of yoga). Example: almost every baptiste class will be in a heated (not overly hot) room & follow this general progression: an opening series of sun salutations to warm up, lengthen & loosen, a warrior series to work on alignment & stability, a balance series to challenge equilibrium & fine-tune the "little guys" (this is when my ankles & shins light on fire), an inversion to reverse blood flow & some winding down poses into savasana, rest. Other types follow a prescribed flow of poses. Different yet, instructors will mix different series or poses, but there is always a greater goal & it's not simply a top-to-bottom arrangement. Please don't assume that because you don't know the greater goal that it's a random assortment.

It's the type of strength training that everyone needs. To be better tuned in with your body, aware of the intricacies & more plugged in with your breath. I promise that the gains, if you are even remotely consistent, will be neither unpredictable nor fleeting. The biggest challenge that most triathletes will face is forcing themselves to calm down, to center & to focus. Yoga isn't ever about comparing or contrasting against others - it's about your own self, your own journey, your own ability, always.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think yoga has hidden benefits that many don't consider. Others have highlighted how it gives great core development, how it adds flexibility and balance. If you're doing many hours a week of sessions then it only stands to reason you also have to stretch and work out those kinks and knots. Yoga on the regular does that but adds all the other benefits at the same time so it's time efficient. Two other benefits that I've not seen mentioned is the breathing and leaning and lengthening muscles. Controlling your breath and being very aware of your breathing is key in my opinion. When you've just completed a surge on another athlete you're mind is screaming "STOP HURTING ME" with the breathing practice of yoga I've found that I can just focus on my breath and get things back to a manageable pace before I realize it.

For those of you who are more of the DIY here are the 3 sessions I do on a weekly basis in the comfort of my home. You'll likely have seen posts on here from Gary Hall Sr and his wife Amy Hall who produced these wonderful videos. Enjoy!

Shoulders - 18:46
Legs - 17:03
Core - 22:39

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yoga is a good way to stop certain muscles from disfiguring the body - if I'm not doing yoga and I do a lot of swimming my back becomes very tight, which ruins my sleep, which ruins my health. It's really good for preventing and dealing with running injuries too.

Try it for at least a month, see what it does for you. And try a few different classes in a few different studios. There are a lot of different methodologies and styles, so that "yoga" is as diverse as "running", even though they share a reasonably small number of core activities.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one has more hotties working out around you?

Do that one.

You're welcome.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [Run For Money] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run For Money wrote:
Why don't you do both?

The problem with lifting weights is that most people think you need to do 2 body parts a day or something like that.

Why not throw 1 or 2 days a week where you Lift Weights for 30 mins a day, I do 4 sets of chest, bi's, tri's back, shoulders, legs, super set everything, for example 1 set of flat bench followed by a set of flat bench flys immediately, x2) I also do a set of core or functional strength in between each super set if that makes sense, like 20 sit ups, 20 push ups, dips, pull ups, core work, etc

Do yoga once or twice a week for flexibility...and the other stuff you mentioned

This. You can get an incredible full body workout in 30-45 minutes. Stick to the basics (in order of importance): squat, deadlifts, chest press, pull ups, shoulder press and dips, and superset everything. Doing variations of those will hit nearly everything. If you're worried about core strength or stability, incorporate balance in to the workouts (chest press under a ball, instead of a bench, squat on a half ball, etc). If you work out 2-3 times a week, you really don't have to worry about gaining mass. You just wont (especially if you're still SBR'ing quite a bit).

I used to work out regularly. Not obsessively, but I always played sports and hit the weights as cross training. When I stopped weights 2 years ago to strictly SBR, then went back this summer, I was amazed at the strength I've lost. Never again will I neglect weight training.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do both TRX and yoga (bikram), I never liked doing weights but have seen improved strength from TRX, plus I can easily take it with me where I do a fair amount of travel for work.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Yoga vs Weights [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AWARE wrote:

There's the disconnect, you're comparing it to the strength training a triathlete would do, which is none.
Quote Reply

Prev Next