Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for?
Quote | Reply
I finished Ironman Steelhead last Sunday. Upon crossing this finish line, I was info informed that they ran out of medals and it would be mailed to me at some point in the future.

Reading some of the threads that I have read, it seems to be a trend that M-Dot frequently does not order enough medals and then takes forever to ship them out to people.

So, it begs the (slightly rhetorical) question. If I completed a race, would it be wrong for me to order a medal off Ebay for that race?

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item3a956ee210
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [Garibaldi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't on principle. The idea of paying for something I rightfully earned just seems wrong to me.

Instead, I'd be sending a nastygram every day to WTC asking "hey, so where's my medal?"; make them remedy their mistake.

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [Garibaldi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you seen Shawshank Redemption?

Write WTC one message every day. Every day until they send you what you want. Feel free to find as many e-mail addresses as you can over there, and CC every one on your request. Until you get what you paid for.

Buying a medal would me a last resort. You could ask someone here if they'd donate theirs if they don't care that much for medals? I'd do that before I bought one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong? No
Stupid? yes

Guess I just got lucky, probably 10 WTC events and never had this happen, or to any of my friends.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Aug 19, 14 14:46
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you really want the medal that badly? Like others said, email them until you get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want it, just buy it and don't worry about what anyone else has to say.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

I tend to agree with this. If it came to it, I'd rather buy it than spend the time and energy trying to track it down. It's a battle that you might win, but will not change anything on their end.

Medals are cool, especially for big events. I'd take a medal over at an ugly t-shirt or I'll fitting running cap anytime.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least you now know how much those things are worth, $59.99 plus shipping.

I guess you could buy that one and bill them for the cost of it. I'm sure they'd be ok with
that arrangement.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect that someone on this forum would be happy to send you theirs if you cover the shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The fact that 5 people are are watching that item at $59.99 is absurd. It cost $2.87 cents to make, even less given the quantity IM buys from the manufacturer.

On a side note, at Raleigh that finisher hats never arrived and I got mine a week or so ago.

On another side note, since the medals come from china you don't know if they shorted the order, lost a few boxes or just messed up. At one of our recents races we were short 1,000 shirts out of 59,000 ordered. We found them on a truck a day later that was not fully unloaded. Being on the other side I know stuff happens but as long as they make it right you'll be ok.

Sending an e-mail every day will not help your cause.

Out of curiosity, what do you want to do with the medal that you want to buy one?
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spider wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

I tend to agree with this. If it came to it, I'd rather buy it than spend the time and energy trying to track it down. It's a battle that you might win, but will not change anything on their end.

Medals are cool, especially for big events. I'd take a medal over at an ugly t-shirt or I'll fitting running cap anytime.

$59 is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay that
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [spider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 times 1000. If it is worth it to you, just buy it. The price paid will be far far below the anger and frustrations you may face trying to get one in the mail from WTC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does a wtc half iron cost these days out of curiosity?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading some of the threads that I have read, it seems to be a trend that M-Dot frequently does not order enough medals and then takes forever to ship them out to people.

Is there any reason that you need the medal now, as opposed to a month from now?

(And, I'm not sure that this is a 'trend of not ordering enough medals')

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's wrong for you to have to do so. Why not just wait?

Garibaldi wrote:
I finished Ironman Steelhead last Sunday. Upon crossing this finish line, I was info informed that they ran out of medals and it would be mailed to me at some point in the future.

So, it begs the (slightly rhetorical) question. If I completed a race, would it be wrong for me to order a medal off Ebay for that race?

http://www.ebay.com/...;hash=item3a956ee210

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I suspect that someone on this forum would be happy to send you theirs if you cover the shipping.

^^^THIS. There are a lot of (generous) people on here who couldn't care less about that medal. Start a thread titled "Steelhead 2014 Finishers Medal". I'm sure somebody will come forward and give you theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could have mine from Racine. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recenly I left my IM Florida 2006 finisher(my 1st IM) hat in a restaurant and nobody turned it in.

I will trawl eBay and sites occasionally as I would like a replacement.

If you earned it you have a right to it, although give WTC time to mail it to you.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
linhardt wrote:
Recenly I left my IM Florida 2006 finisher(my 1st IM) hat in a restaurant and nobody turned it in.

Just out of curiousity, do you usually bring 8yr old finisher medals to dinner?

ETA: Failed to pick up that it was a hat and not a medal. Apologies.

-Andrew
Last edited by: AMT04: Aug 20, 14 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
linhardt wrote:

He said he left his hat, not his medal. At least read his post before you respond sarcastically.
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
linhardt wrote:

He said he left his hat, not his medal. At least read his post before you respond sarcastically.

That makes a lot more sense. An obvious miss on my part, but it wasn't sarcasm as much as real curiousity.

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [Patrick E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Patrick E wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
linhardt wrote:

Maybe he's really this guy:

Quote Reply
Re: Would it be wrong to buy an Ironman medal for a race I actually completed but never received a medal for? [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMT04 wrote:
Patrick E wrote:
AMT04 wrote:
linhardt wrote:

That makes a lot more sense. An obvious miss on my part, but it wasn't sarcasm as much as real curiousity.

Now Finman, he takes his finisher's medals to dinner I bet.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it for Mont Tremblant? If so Sara Gross says she will send you hers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they said they would mail you one, I would just give it a week or two and, if you haven't received it by then, check in with them. If they gave you their word, give them a chance to deliver. I had this happen for a race once, and they delivered - no problems. No need to spend a bunch of money on it.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply

Prev Next