Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10:23 for a 1000 is definitely good for a 17 year old, but an elite 17 year old would lap that kid twice!

FWIW - there is no way he's throwing down anything close to his best time in a splash and dash. So 10:23 is probably his screwing around just for fun time ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerpaws wrote:
ironclm wrote:
We have a lot of kids who are going to Trials, plus a couple of visiting college kids training here. Fun to watch them swim!

Our Masters coach has a gold medal from the Atlanta Olympics, and, she's just as good of a coach as a swimmer.

Holy geeepers a goldie!! Who is it if you don't mind? That would be crazy to be around that I got to shake Summer Sanders hand once....I forgot most of the entire experience I wanted to ask her to marry me and also to touch.....the medals.

Sounds like our pool. We have two high schoolers going to the trials and our masters coach is Sheila Taormina, who also won her gold in Atlanta in the 4 x 200 free relay.

We also get a lot of college teams that come here for their holiday training trips. Louisville was here right before Christmas and it was great watching US record holder Kelsi Worrell swim fly.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 150th fastest 1000 free SCY this season was a 10:00:01. A 10:23 low would get somene the 313th fastest time of the season. These are 17 yr old male times.

The fastest time so far is an 8:51. His teammate has the second fastest time of 8:58. How would you like to have the ability to swim an 8:58 and know that you've been beaten by half a pool?
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until I stopped swimming, my long time swim coach was Haydn Woolley. For quite a while he had the fastest IM swim split. Unofficial record as he never actually finished an IM.

His time was 43:30 at IMNZ back about 2000 or so.

From time to time he'd hop in the pool and do a session with us. He was off his really fast swim times, but his technique was pure joy to watch. 25 metre pool in 7-8 strokes for as long as you could be bothered watching. Smooth like watching ice cream melt on a hot day. Me as a fat 50+ tri pretender, it was Haydn and his focussing on technique that got me down to sniffing at a sub 60 swim split. (I never got to swim an IM on a good day so was a couple of minutes off the magic 59:59).

Pure swimmers are awesome to watch, regardless of whether it's the speed or technique.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
10:23 for a 1000 is definitely good for a 17 year old, but an elite 17 year old would lap that kid twice!

FWIW - there is no way he's throwing down anything close to his best time in a splash and dash. So 10:23 is probably his screwing around just for fun time ;-)

No doubt...he got out and ran a 21ish 5k on a very hilly course.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What am I missing here? 1:20/100m is about 55min for Ironman swim. Lots of pros swim faster than that. My IM swim was 58, nothing impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the "He was so fast" vein - when it comes to actual race day lay it down............... Years ago at the Donner Lake Tri (bitter cold 6000 ft. alt. mountain lake), when everyone was wearing fullsuits and neoprene caps, the guy who came out first was so far ahead that you could barely see second. He was wearing a pair of knee length cut off Levis. Seriously - think about that - blue jeans. I'm sure he was on a relay team and was probably a college swimmer (he had the look) but there were some good swimmers there that day in rubber but this guy was from a different planet.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
What am I missing here? 1:20/100m is about 55min for Ironman swim. Lots of pros swim faster than that. My IM swim was 58, nothing impressive.

Where are you pulling 1:20/100m from?

A 10:23 1000y works out to about 43:30 in an ironman swim, were he to continue at that speed for the whole thing.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 9, 16 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
A 17 year old kid often swims in our pool. I get in the lane next to him just so I can study what he does. It is insane how fast he is. He takes like 3 strokes (okay exaggerating...) and he's across the 25y pool. He's across in 15 seconds and he looks like he's just gliding. It's insane.

We've got something close in our masters group. A D1 recent grad, only swims in the second fastest lane, takes about 10-13 strokes per 25m and his kick is pretty mild. Never looks like he is trying. Does his own drills which are kinda unusual, but man when he steps on it nobody is faster in the pool. He's the guy who swims really fast but creates no disturbance in the water. I've swam next to him for hundreds of laps as he passes by and I just can't see what he does different versus the other guys in the fastest lanes that are churning water like crazy to be fast.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
softrun wrote:

A 10:23 1000y works out to about 43:30 in an ironman swim, were he to continue at that speed for the whole thing.

OK, I see...the OP was talking Yards while I calculated Meters :(
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
Dilbert wrote:
A 17 year old kid often swims in our pool. I get in the lane next to him just so I can study what he does. It is insane how fast he is. He takes like 3 strokes (okay exaggerating...) and he's across the 25y pool. He's across in 15 seconds and he looks like he's just gliding. It's insane.

We've got something close in our masters group. A D1 recent grad, only swims in the second fastest lane, takes about 10-13 strokes per 25m and his kick is pretty mild. Never looks like he is trying. Does his own drills which are kinda unusual, but man when he steps on it nobody is faster in the pool. He's the guy who swims really fast but creates no disturbance in the water. I've swam next to him for hundreds of laps as he passes by and I just can't see what he does different versus the other guys in the fastest lanes that are churning water like crazy to be fast.

Some guys are fast but splash a lot, but only a few can swim fast AND smoothly such that they create very little splash. Your guy sounds like a genuine fast "Mr. Smooth", to use Swim Smooth's terminology:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
softrun wrote:

OK, I see...the OP was talking Yards while I calculated Meters :(

If you were using metres, that's even faster.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Jesus this crowd at ST is hard to please....

This.

My wife was a full ride D1 swimmer, and still crushes 99 percent of the men in the tris she does, but I'd be afraid to post her times because guys here would be like "that ain't shit".
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
3Aims wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

Some guys are fast but splash a lot, but only a few can swim fast AND smoothly such that they create very little splash. Your guy sounds like a genuine fast "Mr. Smooth", to use Swim Smooth's terminology:)

and to add to his swim legend his wall is equally as smooth as his swim....two dolphins and he's at the 5 meter mark....versus the violent board bashing karate style wall of the other fasties.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
3Aims wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

and to add to his swim legend his wall is equally as smooth as his swim....two dolphins and he's at the 5 meter mark....versus the violent board bashing karate style wall of the other fasties.

Actually, i would think a guy that fast would be out to 6 m w/ no dolphin kicks, and out to 7.5-8 m w/ 2 dolphins.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Redcorvette wrote:
tigerpaws wrote:
ironclm wrote:
We have a lot of kids who are going to Trials, plus a couple of visiting college kids training here. Fun to watch them swim!

Our Masters coach has a gold medal from the Atlanta Olympics, and, she's just as good of a coach as a swimmer.

Holy geeepers a goldie!! Who is it if you don't mind? That would be crazy to be around that I got to shake Summer Sanders hand once....I forgot most of the entire experience I wanted to ask her to marry me and also to touch.....the medals.

Sounds like our pool. We have two high schoolers going to the trials and our masters coach is Sheila Taormina, who also won her gold in Atlanta in the 4 x 200 free relay.

We also get a lot of college teams that come here for their holiday training trips. Louisville was here right before Christmas and it was great watching US record holder Kelsi Worrell swim fly.

Mark

Our coach (that ironclm is referring to, is Ashley Whitney). She swam with Sheila Taormina on the 4x200 team in '96 as a 16 yr old). Sheila beat her split in the semis so she got to swim in the finals. Here's a pretty interesting podcast where she talks about her career …

http://www.redkitebikes.com/podcast/
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

This.

My wife was a full ride D1 swimmer, and still crushes 99 percent of the men in the tris she does, but I'd be afraid to post her times because guys here would be like "that ain't shit".

This. A lot of arrogant posturing on this thread. Look, we get it that we triathletes generally suck as swimmers but still some serous attitude on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did that same set last night...

Then I woke up
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

10@ stroke drill swim
10@ 1:20
10@ 1:15
10@ 1:10
10@ 1:05
10@ 1:15
10@ 1:10
10@ 1:05
10@ 1:00
10@ 1:20

That's not a bad set, but I am guessing IMer, not freestyler? Out of curiosity, what is her name?
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I am really missing something here...but the TOP 100 age group times (ever) has the 100th spot at 4:56.9
So let's just say it's 4:57
Are you saying your 12 year old boy, over 5 x 100 can (basically) swim a top 100 age group time (in history...) and do it within the context of a 5k yard set AND where he accomplishes this twice AND after doing 5 x 100 previously on a 110 interval...? Or by similar set you mean his intervals are slower?
Im not trying to be a jerk. I am trying to understand. it doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks and kudos to your boy if he can do that. Very impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His name is Joey Pedraza. He spent at least the last few years focused on OW. He told me which events at trials he is doing, but I cannot remember for sure. I think one of them was 200 IM.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not a bad set, but I am guessing IMer, not freestyler? Out of curiosity, what is her name?

I'm pretty sure this was a jab. Given the context of some of the posters, good one.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes.... i should have put that together.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: When a real swimmer makes the triathletes at Masters suddenly understand [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

This.

Well, over half of the ST posters have an FTP of about 6w/kg, the rest are even higher :) People lie all the time, what matters is results at races.
Quote Reply

Prev Next