Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Nah, there were various team staff and riders talking *very* early on.

Arch Stanton wrote:

It took fifteen years for the Postal riders to open up and they rode at a time when doping, along with soccer, F1, and women, was openly discussed while riding in the peloton during races.

Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreou, the wife of Frankie, who else?

And look at how they were treated.

Do not forget the time when Armstrong and his apologists would set out to destroy anyone who questioned Armstrong.

Do not forget how anyone who questioned Armstrong was banned from cycling forums.

And triathlon forums, too for that matter.

As for your other points of people not speaking out

Quote:

I don't remember Wiggins or Brailsford defending Emma O'Reilly or Betsy Andreau. In fact I remember Wiggins and Brailsford spouting trash about Armstrong and feigning surprise when the truth came out, a truth every little shit in the Peleton knew all along.

Remember how anyone who questioned Armstromg was called a Troll. Remember how the whole Peleton turned on Bassons and Simoni.

Every little shit in the Peleton knew what was going on, and did anyone do anything - other than Bassons? Complete bunch of cheating scum bag cowards. To a man they were iether cheating or too chicken and didn't have the bottle to speak out.

Name one who confessed before being caught or confronted by the authorities.

Add to the list all those past Tour winners who defended Armstrong. Merckx and Induarain were defending the scum bag weeks before the truth came out.

I would like to think I would have stood up and exposed the sordid details, but that's subjunctive, and we can posit all we want about coulda woulda shoulda. Fact of matter is that life was already hard enough not to cheat, and to expose others means doing so at great risks to your own reputation and financial stability. You may think you will have the swagger to confront rampant cheating, but if you've seen what has already happened to those (e.g. Andreus, Walsh, and Lemond) who confronted the cheats, would you be so brave?

Arch Stanton wrote:

USADA figures what everyone else already knew: That everyone in European pro cycling is doping and the UCI helps riders and teams get around rules that were only made for PR purposes and not meant to be followed. News at eleven.

This demeans the careers of those who eschewed cheating and PED. Names such as Gilles Delion and Tim Johnson. You want your arguments to be taken seriously then cut out the hyperboles.
Last edited by: echappist: Jan 23, 15 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Trev wrote:
jackmott wrote:
Nah, there were various team staff and riders talking *very* early on.

Arch Stanton wrote:

It took fifteen years for the Postal riders to open up and they rode at a time when doping, along with soccer, F1, and women, was openly discussed while riding in the peloton during races.

Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreou, the wife of Frankie, who else?

And look at how they were treated.

Do not forget the time when Armstrong and his apologists would set out to destroy anyone who questioned Armstrong.

Do not forget how anyone who questioned Armstrong was banned from cycling forums.

And triathlon forums, too for that matter.

As for your other points of people not speaking out

Quote:

I don't remember Wiggins or Brailsford defending Emma O'Reilly or Betsy Andreau. In fact I remember Wiggins and Brailsford spouting trash about Armstrong and feigning surprise when the truth came out, a truth every little shit in the Peleton knew all along.

Remember how anyone who questioned Armstromg was called a Troll. Remember how the whole Peleton turned on Bassons and Simoni.

Every little shit in the Peleton knew what was going on, and did anyone do anything - other than Bassons? Complete bunch of cheating scum bag cowards. To a man they were iether cheating or too chicken and didn't have the bottle to speak out.

Name one who confessed before being caught or confronted by the authorities.

Add to the list all those past Tour winners who defended Armstrong. Merckx and Induarain were defending the scum bag weeks before the truth came out.

I would like to think I would have stood up and exposed the sordid details, but that's subjunctive, and we can posit all we want about coulda woulda shoulda. Fact of matter is that life was already hard enough not to cheat, and to expose others means doing so at great risks to your own reputation and financial stability. You may think you will have the swagger to confront rampant cheating, but if you've seen what has already happened to those (e.g. Andreus, Walsh, and Lemond) who confronted the cheats, would you be so brave?

Arch Stanton wrote:

USADA figures what everyone else already knew: That everyone in European pro cycling is doping and the UCI helps riders and teams get around rules that were only made for PR purposes and not meant to be followed. News at eleven.

This demeans the careers of those who eschewed cheating and PED. Names such as Gilles Delion and Tim Johnson. You want your arguments to be taken seriously then cut out the hyperboles.

I'm not familiar with Deloin or Johnson but if they stood up they have my admiration.

I'm very aware of what happened to Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu, Walsh, Lemond and others, that is why I get angry.
Last edited by: Trev: Jan 23, 15 12:05
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [Trev][chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
Herbert wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-suspends-zorzoli-from-anti-doping-work

Zorzoli made headlines again in June of last year when it was confirmed that he had fast-tracked a TUE for Tour de France contender Chris Froome (Team Sky) at the Tour of Romandie. Brian Cookson, president of the UCI later called the episode ‘routine’.

I forgot all about Froom's TUE. Another marginal stain.

From somebody who doesn't really follow cycling: Is there reason to believe the TUE isn't legit? If not, then who cares?

chaparral wrote:
Or them violating the rules of getting food and water from the support car at the end of the race. They knew the rules, but knew that the punishment was worth the risk.

cliff notes on that?
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
cliff notes on that?

tour de france climb
froome was hungry
rules said no more feeds at that point in the race
porte went and got froome some food anyway
froome penalized a few seconds

Seen by almost all people in cycling as no big deal.
But then if you are trying to convince people you aren't doping, you might not commit intentional fouls.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

But then if you are trying to convince people you aren't doping, you might not commit intentional fouls.

If they want us to trust that they are not breaking rules that we cannot see, maybe they should stop gleefully breaking rules that we can see?

They clearly stated after the feed incident that the they balanced the risk of Froome bonking and loosing lots of time against the small penalty they thought they would receive for breaking the rules. Clearly their thought is that rules should be broken if the upside is big enough and the consequence is small enough, not that the rules should not be broken. So whether they are doping or not is probably based on the their belief of the upside of performance versus the chance of being caught and seen as dopers.
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right.

Though we would not suspect a basketball team of doing steroids for intentionally fouling the center when he gets the ball close to the rim.

So I dunno.

chaparral wrote:
jackmott wrote:

If they want us to trust that they are not breaking rules that we cannot see, maybe they should stop gleefully breaking rules that we can see?

They clearly stated after the feed incident that the they balanced the risk of Froome bonking and loosing lots of time against the small penalty they thought they would receive for breaking the rules. Clearly their thought is that rules should be broken if the upside is big enough and the consequence is small enough, not that the rules should not be broken. So whether they are doping or not is probably based on the their belief of the upside of performance versus the chance of being caught and seen as dopers.

Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
OK. I will concede to you. Sky used one leg power meters because with all their millions they could not afford it.

Just throwing some numbers around.

Let's say 25 riders. 3, maybe 4 bikes per rider. (Training, racing, TT and backup racing for at least some of them.)

Let's call that 80 bikes.

Say, half price on SRM's if they are buying them or about $2,000 each for D/A SRM's with PC7's.

That's $160,000.

That isn't chump change. Especially if Stages was not only give them free power meters, but paying on top of that. It could have been a net gain of over a quarter of a million dollars..

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is actually the perfect analogy. That or a brush back pitch in baseball.

Getting penalized for feeds when feeding is closed has been going on since I've been following cycling, which is over 30 years now. Sky did not come up with this. I've seen Indurain do it.

jackmott wrote:
Right.

Though we would not suspect a basketball team of doing steroids for intentionally fouling the center when he gets the ball close to the rim.

So I dunno.

chaparral wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not quite perfect. I think one difference is that an intentional foul is designed to actually get the penalty. The foul is committed in hopes of a penalty. Nobody is trying to get away with anything. The gamble is not whether you might get penalized, it's whether they're less likely to score from the line (and perhaps to regain possession faster). Further, the intentional foul is considered by everyone, players, refs and fans to be a legitimate part of the game. There's absolutely nothing underhanding or sneaky about it.

The gamble in taking an illegal feed in a race is whether or not you'll get caught. Still on a different level than doping, but not the equivalent of an intentional foul in basketball.

nslckevin wrote:

Getting penalized for feeds when feeding is closed has been going on since I've been following cycling, which is over 30 years now. Sky did not come up with this. I've seen Indurain do it.

jackmott wrote:
Right.

So I dunno.

chaparral wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to have to disagree. The yellow jersey in the Tour de France is never going to get away with something like that in the last 20km on Alpe d'Huez. Everybody knows that. What you are doing is trading a time penalty for an illegal feed for a much bigger time penalty for bonking on a mountain stage. Take the 20 second penalty in order to avoid losing 3 minutes.

BTW, also implicit in the basketball intentional foul is that you are likely trading the at worst possibility of your opponent making both foul shots against what you are presuming is the sure chance of scoring 2 when they are up close. So the worst case is that they still get the 2 points, but more likely than not they don't and you come out ahead on points by fouling.

In either case, somebody is purposely breaking the rules ("cheating") because even the outcome of getting caught is better than the outcome of not doing it.

AlanShearer wrote:
Not quite perfect. I think one difference is that an intentional foul is designed to actually get the penalty. The foul is committed in hopes of a penalty. Nobody is trying to get away with anything. The gamble is not whether you might get penalized, it's whether they're less likely to score from the line (and perhaps to regain possession faster). Further, the intentional foul is considered by everyone, players, refs and fans to be a legitimate part of the game. There's absolutely nothing underhanding or sneaky about it.

The gamble in taking an illegal feed in a race is whether or not you'll get caught. Still on a different level than doping, but not the equivalent of an intentional foul in basketball.

nslckevin wrote:

jackmott wrote:
Right.

So I dunno.

chaparral wrote:
jackmott wrote:

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
They have also gotten away race leader with skin suit rule violations before

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "skinsuit rule" and how did they brake it for advantage / how much advantage do you think it was.

I am curious, I hadn't heard of this before.
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [KevP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are supposed to use a yellow jersey provided by the tour, not your own.

Sky got away with using their own. Sort of semi-shady maybe, as I think they got permission, but maybe a lesser team would not have gotten permission.

KevP wrote:
jackmott wrote:
They have also gotten away race leader with skin suit rule violations before

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "skinsuit rule" and how did they brake it for advantage / how much advantage do you think it was.

I am curious, I hadn't heard of this before.

Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev wrote:
deludedcyclist wrote:
I was under the impression that team sky only used stages for races as they were sponsored and used different power meters for their training to give more comprehensive power information

Is that the case? It is something I think may well be true but I don't think there is any evidence.

I hope you are right because the only reason most people bought Stages other than price is because Sky use them.

Oh, I don't think anyone bought them other than for price and simplicity. Having a pro team sponsored by them, just give some legitimacy I suppose.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Trev wrote:
deludedcyclist wrote:
I was under the impression that team sky only used stages for races as they were sponsored and used different power meters for their training to give more comprehensive power information

Is that the case? It is something I think may well be true but I don't think there is any evidence.

I hope you are right because the only reason most people bought Stages other than price is because Sky use them.

Oh, I don't think anyone bought them other than for price and simplicity. Having a pro team sponsored by them, just give some legitimacy I suppose.

Whenever you point out to anyone in the UK the fact Stages must be less accurate than a complete power meter, the usual retort is 'it's good enough for Sky so,it's good enough for me'
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

The difference between top elites is small. The gains from doping are large. With ineffective doping enforcement, a governing body actively helping riders break the rules, and a sport with history of endemic dope use, doping is the price of admission. Pointing out some poor saps who were not willing to do what is necessary to succeed in their profession does not change that. It is a shitty situation. It was not the riders fault. They just did what they had to do, and if any one of them decided not to then there was a thousand riders with a more realistic view of the sport who were willing to take their spot. Point out someone contending for major wins in the EPO era who was not doping. The top ten list of every GT tells the tale; the Tour's is bad enough but the Vuelta and Giro's lists are a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Tygart comes out of retirement and Team Sky must feel dumb [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would take that to the top half, at the very least presently and 98% in years past.

And I would say the samething for pro Track, and Tri's....

Don't look behind the door you may not like what you see.
Last edited by: Beachboy: Jan 24, 15 10:50
Quote Reply

Prev Next