Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
And....this thread will probably get destroyed by the anti-disc debate.

Yep, where is Tom? :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He will find the thread soon enough haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

You're just as guilty of turning everything into a disc brake flamewar as the people you complain about.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
He will find the thread soon enough haha

True :)

Still hard to believe no Bike mfg has come out with a middle class priced disc brake bike with Etap for 2018. Oh well, keeps the money in the bank

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hahahaha....ok

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
BryanD wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
These are the kind of stories that want me to stay mechanical. Since electronic does not make anyone faster, just lighter in the pocket book, ......

Agreed. I'm still riding 10 speed Ultegra haha. Electronic is cool but it won't make me faster.

Who are you, and what have you done with BryanD??

Did you miss this gem BryanD?
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it and laughed. I may look forward to disc brakes but I still think electronic shifting is a luxury item.

Last edited by: BryanD: Nov 14, 17 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I can think of nothing more appropos than the anti-electronic thread being derailed by the anti-disc debate.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any reservations I might have had on disc brakes were finally dispelled in my last race; it was very wet & windy with 3 nasty descents on (carbon) rim brakes. Consequently my new Endurace SLX may have mechanical, but it has a very nice set of Reynolds disc brake wheels. I had the choice between the top SL model with Di2, or the base SLX model with the HM frame and Reynolds wheels; I figured electronic wasn't going to speed me up. Horses for courses.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
BryanD wrote:
It's possible than that water got into the unit and is causing issues.

Just more reasons to really ask is it worth the cool factor and cost, when it gives zero increase in speed. If one wants to get faster, sure are ways to spend money that will do this.

And isn't this the same argument that can be applied to disc brakes on the road? This isn't necessarily directed to you--it's interesting to see how some riders will avoid the complexity of electronic shifting, yet still embrace hydraulic road bike discs. It boggles the mind.
You are drawing a false equivalence.
How is the difference between rim and disc brakes equivalent to that between mechanical and electronic shifting?

Brakes: Both are mechanical from lever to caliper. TO the best of my knowledge, both are similarly reliable in terms of actuator operation. No possibility of electrical or software issues.
Derailleurs: One is mechanical end to end, the other is electronic.

Brakes: Rim brakes are deemed to provide sufficient power and modulation by many. Disks offer superior wet weather reliability of effect and overcome the relatively poor braking performance of most full carbon rims at the cost of arguable impact on aesthetics, weight and aerodynamics.
Derailleurs: Mechanical and electronic derailleurs do the same thing in the same way. They move the chain between chainrings/sprockets using a deflection cage/sprockets. The potential benefits of electronic shifting are easier cable routing and cleaner bike setup, quicker and more precise gear changes, perhaps reduced maintenance.

Are you aware of any evidence, or even anecdotes, that either cable or hydraulic disk brakes are more likely to fail than rim brakes?
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Are you aware of any evidence, or even anecdotes, that either cable or hydraulic disk brakes are more likely to fail than rim brakes?

Are you aware of any evidence that electronic shifting is more likely to fail than mechanical? Unlike you, I'm not interested in anecdotes, although I have plenty of those for mechanical shifting failures.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [RP29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been in a similar situation to you so here is my take on this. I had the servo motor go out on my rear derailleur during a race. SRAM was unable to give me an explanation until they had received my old part after getting a warranty replacement from them. They cant really give you a definitive answer without having the part themselves to look at. So here is my opinion. You had an issue during Kona. Yes that is a big deal, and is an odd occurrence. You then got with SRAM and your shop to try and figure out the issue. No real answer was found or given for the situation and no steps were taken to fix the issue. (going ahead and getting warranty replacements and I don't know if you had any subsequent problems between Kona and Los Cabos during training.) You then go and toe the line for another race with the same exact drivetrain parts and not knowing if the problem you had in Kona had been fixed or fixed itself? So seems like a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me kind on thing. I feel that the statement of two Ironman messed up by eTap is untrue. Yes, one was messed up by it, but the other was just as much on you for not completely fixing the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
And isn't this the same argument that can be applied to disc brakes on the road? This isn't necessarily directed to you--it's interesting to see how some riders will avoid the complexity of electronic shifting, yet still embrace hydraulic road bike discs. It boggles the mind.

You are drawing a false equivalence.
How is the difference between rim and disc brakes equivalent to that between mechanical and electronic shifting?

Brakes: Both are mechanical from lever to caliper. TO the best of my knowledge, both are similarly reliable in terms of actuator operation. No possibility of electrical or software issues.
Derailleurs: One is mechanical end to end, the other is electronic.

Brakes: Rim brakes are deemed to provide sufficient power and modulation by many. Disks offer superior wet weather reliability of effect and overcome the relatively poor braking performance of most full carbon rims at the cost of arguable impact on aesthetics, weight and aerodynamics.
Derailleurs: Mechanical and electronic derailleurs do the same thing in the same way. They move the chain between chainrings/sprockets using a deflection cage/sprockets. The potential benefits of electronic shifting are easier cable routing and cleaner bike setup, quicker and more precise gear changes, perhaps reduced maintenance.

Yep. Everyone will prioritise their needs and base kit choices on that.

For me, staying with mechanical shifting and having hydraulic disc brakes makes sense. I can descend faster and more safely in the wet with carbon rims and wider tyres; the operative words being safely & faster. It's highly debatable that electronic shifting will make me any faster. The only tangible benefit for me in respect of electronic, is multiple shifter locations on a TT bike; I can't argue with that.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with the warning from the OP It is going to take a lot of willpower to put off getting etap for the new IA. As of yesterday I now have it pretty much setup like I want with exception of the drivetrain and maybe a little fitting tweak here or there. I have to admit that the low end mechanical components are shifting very well albeit a little stiff being brand new. So nothing wrong with what is on there, but this will eat at me until I do the last upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Are you aware of any evidence that electronic shifting is more likely to fail than mechanical? Unlike you, I'm not interested in anecdotes, although I have plenty of those for mechanical shifting failures.
I'm vaguely interested, but won't put any stock, in anecdotes.

Of course mechanical shifting can and does occur. I never said otherwise. What's your point?

I was attempting to point out the false equivalency that the quoted poster appeared to be drawing between electronic shifting and disc brakes. They suggested it was somehow inconsistent to advocate disc brakes but not electronic gearing. This was the point of my post and I believe that was clear. What's the point of yours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

I'm vaguely interested, but won't put any stock, in anecdotes.

Of course mechanical shifting can and does occur. I never said otherwise. What's your point?

I was attempting to point out the false equivalency that the quoted poster appeared to be drawing between electronic shifting and disc brakes. They suggested it was somehow inconsistent to advocate disc brakes but not electronic gearing. This was the point of my post and I believe that was clear. What's the point of yours?

Your post was asking if hydraulic brakes had more failures than mechanical. For that to prove that the comparison between mechanical and electronic shifting was invalid, it would imply that electronic shifting fails more often than mechanical. If hydraulic shifting is at least as reliable as mechanical (but "newer and different"), and electronic shifting is at least as reliable as mechanical (but "newer and different"), then drawing a comparison about irrational fear of either is valid. That's my point, and unless you believe mechanical shifting is more reliable than electronic, no, yours was not clear.

Certainly, someone could say "I'd rather have mechanical shifting and hydraulic brakes", but I'd roll my eyes if they said it was because electronic shifting wasn't reliable enough. Which was the original point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

OK, so I'd like to know who has actual objective data on failure rates? I haven't seen anything in the public domain. Bike shops probably have a reasonable idea but I doubt any of them keep actual data. Undoubtedly selling electronic drivetrains is profitable for them as they are very expensive so it's not in their best interest to collect and disseminate such data unless it can prove electronic shifting is more reliable. Manufacturers undoubtedly have warranty claim data but you can be sure they aren't going to share it with us.

So asking for data is a red herring, unfortunately all we have are anecdotes.

I do know that on group rides about which I have direct knowledge, electronic shifting failures are more common than mechanical failures, even though a majority of the people on those rides still ride mechanical. I like the idea of electronic shifting but the failures I see on the road really give me pause.

I pointed out that with proper preventative maintenance, mechanical can be extremely reliable. So the counter argument is made that applies to electronic shifting as well. But one of the main arguments in favor of electronic is that it requires less maintenance. So what preventative maintenance will help reliability? Letting the battery run down isn't preventative maintenance, that's operator error. I can see periodically checking cable connections to make sure they're secure, what else is there? If you're talking chain and cassette wear, that's a red herring as that's the same for mechanical.

I like shiny new technology and would like to convert to electronic. But I also like to have exceptional reliability that's within my control and I prefer to spend money on things that provide actual speed benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread has gone full Derp, you never go full Derp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

It is just another anecdote, but, if it helps, in 30 years of a lot riding, I have had zero mechanical shifting failures. Not a single one.

But, in the end, I think the failure rate is not the issue, the failure mode of electronic shifting is the far bigger issue, at least the one that concerns me.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [SAvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAvan wrote:
Sounds to me like you have one of the following possible issues, any of which could be causing a false RHS shift signal as if you were pushing a RHS blip:

(i) water ingress or a stuck button in one of the RHS blips
(ii) a crushed cable from one of the RHS blips
(iii) water ingress or some other fault in the blip-box
(iv) a combination of the above.

This would explain why your RD keeps shifting down (ie there is a constant down shift signal coming from one of the blips or the blipbox), and when you try to shift up by hitting a LHS blip the FD shifted because the blipbox thinks there is a "simultaneous" shift from both sides. For whatever reason your fault only manifested in the heat / humid conditions while racing.

My guess is it is most likely a bad RHS blip. Change them out and carry on. If the problem persists, then change the blipbox. (Ask your LBS to lend you the parts to try figure it the fault).

And for the record, no system is perfect. I currently run ETap without any issues, but I've also both sheared a Di2 cable (closing a rear QR on the RD cable) on race morning and had a mechanical RD break on me for no reason mid race!

Toby wrote:
Yes, people are "comfortable" with mechanical shifting failures because of familiarity. It's easy to understand what happened (in general), to the point that if someone had two Ironmans wrecked by mechanical shifting failure, 99% of the responses would be "learn how to set up your bike, or pay someone to do it". With electronic, on the other hand (and eTap even more so) people view it as a magic box that either works or doesn't, with no control or responsibility on their part. If there's a failure, the fault lies, or is perceived to lie, with the product or manufacturer.

To the two posts above I quoted...this is where I would like SRAM and Shimano clarify the issues that people are seeing.

I fully agree that mechanical is easy to understand and troubleshoot. If you have some whacked cable runs, worn housing, or ferrules that aren't fully seated in the cable stops then you can potentially have issues that cause a failure. In those cases, we don't blame Jagwire, we blame the user or the installer. The 4 possible causes suggested above, if it were the case to be the problem, shouldn't be any different. And there should be a user guide that is more commonly referenced for users to ensure periodically that an electronic system is set up properly...no different than we periodically check our cables and housings.

If indeed some, or most of these electronic failures we are seeing are due to actual failure of electronics, and not loose cable connections, poor wiring runs, or spraying too much water on certain parts without periodically checking on them afterwards, then sure...electronic can have some failure points outside user control. But really no different than how SRAM was having road paddle shifters suddenly snap off. I should know...it happened to me twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Toby wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

It is just another anecdote, but, if it helps, in 30 years of a lot riding, I have had zero mechanical shifting failures. Not a single one.

But, in the end, I think the failure rate is not the issue, the failure mode of electronic shifting is the far bigger issue, at least the one that concerns me.[/quo

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Just saying.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, agreed about the rate of failure.

However, the failure modes of electronic shifting is, unfortunately, another issue entirely.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

However, the failure modes of electronic shifting is, unfortunately, another issue entirely.

Totally agree. Sort of reminds be back in the late 70's when GM switched their distributor from mechanical points and rotor to HEI. I thought, holy crap, how the heck do I work on this now? I'm not an electronic engineer. Guess what? This new electronic distributor completely blew away the older mechanical one.

Fast forward to today. Deja vu all over again. Don't fight the progress. Embrace it.
Quote Reply
Re: Two ironmans messed up by SRAM Etap in less than one month. BEWARE! [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nolegs wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Totally agree. Sort of reminds be back in the late 70's when GM switched their distributor from mechanical points and rotor to HEI. I thought, holy crap, how the heck do I work on this now? I'm not an electronic engineer. Guess what? This new electronic distributor completely blew away the older mechanical one.

Fast forward to today. Deja vu all over again. Don't fight the progress. Embrace it.

Yes, but what is interesting is that, for piston-engined aircraft (where failure modes are VERY important), the vast majority of them still have all mechanical ignition systems, and dual redundant systems at that. Dual plugs, dual magnetos, dual everything. All mechanical.

It is not about fighting progress, it is more about the right product for the situation. Yes, of course, electronic works better. Except when it stops working. Then it is another issue entirely.

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next