Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Try Something New [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I can do them. They just suck. ;-) I know it's a matter of practice and this will be the perfect venue for improvement. (Nothing like being the only open turner in the pool... )

Thanks for the words of encouragement, ladies!

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... I had my first yoga class today. My company has an instructor that comes in to our office every Friday and you get 10 sessions for $75. I warned her I was the newbie and she said do as little or as much as I felt comfortable doing. Well, I was able to nail a lot of the advanced poses and holds, and even though I didn't really like the 5min of laying around at the end, overall it was a good experience and I think it will help with my tight hips/back. After the class, the instructor said that I had very good leg & core strength and did way better than most new folks.

Now: how stiff (and in what weird places) will I be tomorrow?!? :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
and even though I didn't really like the 5min of laying around at the end,

So this is the part you really need!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know, I know... just like what my master's swim coach used to say - "the drill you hate the most is the one you need to DO the most..."

I have not really learned how to turn the brain off, unless I am physically exhausted (or better put, I have trained myself to only unplug once I'm really tired). I think if it had been a longer or more intense session, then perhaps the 5min of laying around might have felt more "useful"...

Something to practice I guess? :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I learned to turn my brain off with guided meditation. Because I feel you...laying around doing nothing?...ack, that was annoying to my brain! But the health and performance benefits of getting in touch with the peaceful, meditative side of our brain/mind...I finally couldn't stand to not have those gains anymore, so I dove in with (don't laugh) one of the Oprah & Deepak ones. They were so easy to listen to compared to other chanting type ones I'd tried before. I bought it to save on my phone and would listen to it and sometimes "meditate" and other times just sit quietly reflecting. Either way, it helped me get much more comfortable with turning my brain off.

Kate Galliett
Strength & Conditioning Coach
Creator, Fit for Real Life
http://www.fitforreallife.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you feel today? I took my 3rd Barre class today and it was way tougher than earlier in the week. I felt a little barfy at one point. But I'm woefully out of shape especially with repetitive, tiny motion squatting and lifting sort of things. We do yoga inspired cool down at the end and I wish it included 5 minutes of laying!

(I took a different class a few years ago that ended with 5 min of quite time and I hated it! Now I want it :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can feel a bit of stiffness in my 1st (front) head of my shoulders! (delts) - I am pathetically weak up top so this is not really a surprise to me. And my left glute a bit - the skating is imbalanced R vs L so again not a huge surprise.

I grew up doing ballet so the thought of being at the barre again... hmm... :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
I can feel a bit of stiffness in my 1st (front) head of my shoulders! (delts) - I am pathetically weak up top so this is not really a surprise to me. And my left glute a bit - the skating is imbalanced R vs L so again not a huge surprise.

I grew up doing ballet so the thought of being at the barre again... hmm... :-)

AP

I enjoyed it. It hurt, but I enjoyed the barre classes more than I thought I would! Also, it made me super toned. Not strong, but toned.

I was actually just thinking bar method might be good ankle rehab in about 6 months once I can stand on one foot and have some ankle flexibility. Should thank QRgirl for the reminder. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not totally new, but a return to the velodrome after more than 2 years. I'm slow and out of shape, but it was great. Now if we only had one in Nashville.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa! You're doing track cycling? I think that's really brave.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Whoa! You're doing track cycling? I think that's really brave.

My #1 love and did it extensively 2008-2012 until I moved. Now I'm stuck with no velodrome. :-(

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I think that is really bad ass. I'm afraid to ride within ten feet of another bike.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went and did single track mtb for the first time in my life yesterday. What a hoot!!

Of course, being a roadie triathlete I did everything wrong. Put my seat up nice & high, pumped my tyres up nice and hard. Had no idea those fork things on the front were s'posed to be set up so they could go bouncy bouncy :-)

Luckily I went with one of my best bike buddies and he got me sorted out with mtb 101 pretty quickly. Dropped my seat, let the air out of my tyres, did whatever he needed to do to get some bounce in my forks, swore at the LBS 'coz they didn't do that before I left the shop.... Gave me about 30 seconds of instructions - at least one gear down from what you think you need all the time, arse in the air as soon as it it gets lumpy, get the elbows out. Off we go...

Hardest thing was the mental hurdle that comes with riding 20mm tyres on nice smooth hard bitumen... "Oh my fucking God, will you look at the size of that rock!!! I'm never going to go over that without falling off!!! Fuck!! I got over it!!! SHIT!! Look at that tight little dirt corner full of tree roots!!! I'm never going to get around that!!! Bloody hell, I made it!! Jesus wept, look at that friggin' steep bit with all the ruts in it, I'm never going to get down that!!...." and so on..

One banged up elbow, massive black bruise on my hip, scratches all down my legs. Haven't had that much fun in a long time! :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I love mtb - only started doing it myself ~4 yrs ago. I don't do it as much as I'd like as I have terrible balance and tend to bang myself up pretty good - which is not good when training for big A races. I did train for IMNZ almost exclusively on the mtb as I didn't want to road ride thru the winter... it really does help you with power, climbing.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I could only keep one of my bikes it would be the MTB. I've taught kids MTB clinics and a few intro ones for women.

Getting out on the trails is the perfect combination of fitness, skill & adrenaline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you had a good time!

I really tried to like mt. biking but I HATE IT. Everything different from track riding. I sold my mt. bike.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first trail half marathon today - had a ball!!

It was the Inaugural Surf Coast Trail Marathon event and was super impressive. Fantastic run, great organisation. http://www.surfcoasttrailmarathon.com.au

To make it a bit more interesting, the weather has been super filthy the last week and there were king tides, so there was an abundance of soft sand, rogue waves & the occasional fence clambering (OK, I'm a triathlete, not a seasoned & hairy trail runner and I didn't want to get my precious new trail shoes wet).

Hills, rocks, mud and all that stuff that is totally new to me, along with spectacular views. Well into it as I was twisting & turning through tea tree scrub & trying not to trip on tree roots I was enthusiastically planning doing the full next time.

Road running suddenly feels rather pale & boring in comparison...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks beautiful!!! Glad you had fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrats and BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

The only new thing I've tried lately is disc golf at Solitude (ski mt) in Utah. It was okay; I will admit to having a very sore right pectoral muscle for 2 days after... LOL

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took the full Body Pump and core class on Friday and then made the mistake of going for a swim. Yeah, I can't really move my arms today.

The class didn't get my heart rate up but it was great for my t-rex upper body. I'll go weekly but I'll skip the swim afterwards. Ouch...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trail races are the best!! Congrats.

I did my first multisport race since June 2008. It was an aquabike race in Chattanooga, TN - 1.5K swim and 25.8 mile bike (hilly!). Swim was about what I expected, bike was much slower, but I ended up 8/11.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! Your race sounds awesome.

I took a mountain biking skills workshop over the weekend. It was challenging and amazing. I'll post some photos when I get them.
Quote Reply
Re: Try Something New [benderin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was - and the pic I posted didn't really do it justice - this one gives you a much better idea.

Hoping to do the mtb thing this weekend!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after a nice little trail ride with the husband last night, I finally worked up the cojones to try out the bike park that my city built in the middle of the park at the trailhead. It's only a 2min ride from my house.

Had I actually stopped to read the sign first, I'd have known that I started the intermediate section in the wrong damn direction instead of having a bunch of 15 year old kids tell me. They were kind about it, at least, and when I got out of the way and read the sign I retreated gratefully to the separate beginner track.

I was quite slow, of course, and got no air at all - just riding over the hits was thrilling (petrifying?) enough. It's designed for BMX, and even my 26er hardtail felt a bit big in the tight turns. I'm sure the kids got a good laugh out of the silly woman in spandex making a fool of herself, but I stayed upright and giggled a lot. Husband took a turn through the beginner section as well (on his monstrosity of a 29er) and wasn't much faster than I was, but definitely more confident since he's the one with the off-road skillz.

It was a good laugh, and I'm sure I'll go back. May take me some time before I'm willing to even go hit the intermediate bit again (let alone the advanced track), but it was fun!

Here's what the intermediate line is supposed to look like: video

And the advanced (yikes): video

And first-person view through the advanced - my gut clenches just watching it: video

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
So, my something new...

Well, I might be getting a new ride. It's not what you think though. I might be doing a half lease on a Palomino-Thoroughbred mix. I've been riding (English) for about two years now and it's time to up the ante.

Fingers crossed, I should know more in a week or two...

PS - I'm also impressed with all you mountain bike riders. That just scares me so way to go ladies!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Last edited by: lilpups: Jul 15, 14 13:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next