Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Triathlon Vehicle
Quote | Reply
so, my wife and I are in the position of seriously considering a second car. I really hoped to never have to get two cars, but here we are, parents needing to coordinate our schedules with his.

I assume many of you are in similar situations with young kids, I'm open to suggestions. I intend to drive to most races in the NW.

two limitations: 1) kid friendly & 2) triathlete friendly.

Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [WaitWhat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaitWhat wrote:
so, my wife and I are in the position of seriously considering a second car.

I can't seriously wrap my head around only having two cars.. let alone getting upset about having to buy a second :)

The one and only real answer is CTS-V Wagon with a 6spd manual.

If snow is a concern, outback
If snow isn't a concern but the awesomeness of the V scares you, jetta tdi wagon

If you don't like wagons (I understand those people even less than 1 car people) then suck it up and buy an odyssey.
Last edited by: mrtopher1980: Oct 16, 14 11:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0best%20car;#5052505

Here's a ton of info. I drive a Prius. With all seats down, one bike will lay flat with both wheels on. With one carseat in the back and one seat down, we can fit two bikes (front wheels off) and frames leaning to the side. However, my bike is a small Shiv and hers is an XS QR. We also have an Outback. We still pack the same, but there's a ton more room left over...and we normally use our Kuat rack on the back of it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ford Explorer. Has a 3rd seat which folds down flat. You can transport your bike in the back standing up with the front wheel off. Fit family of 4, plus bike and all luggage for a week's trip to IMLP in the car. No need for a bike rack.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triflorida wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0best%20car;#5052505

Here's a ton of info. I drive a Prius. With all seats down, one bike will lay flat with both wheels on. With one carseat in the back and one seat down, we can fit two bikes (front wheels off) and frames leaning to the side. However, my bike is a small Shiv and hers is an XS QR. We also have an Outback. We still pack the same, but there's a ton more room left over...and we normally use our Kuat rack on the back of it anyway.

Strange. I did a search for "vehicle" and "car" but did not see this thread. Maybe I didn't dive deep enough....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Edit: Fixed image.
Last edited by: Staz: Oct 16, 14 11:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious answer, whatever car you want. Just get it with a trailer hitch and pick up a hitch mount bike rack.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL, my dad says the same thing. He and my mom have 3 between them, and I can't wrap my head around that! =)

City living with great transportation options made it easy, especially wo kids! 2nd car was never even on the radar as the one car was barely driven. I thought we could always make it that way. Now, needing to in different places at different times and picking him up from daycare...

My wife likes wagons so the Jetta TDI wagon is on the short list ATM. I'm intrigued by your CTS-V suggestion...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WaitWhat wrote:
LOL, my dad says the same thing. He and my mom have 3 between them, and I can't wrap my head around that! =)

Mine have 4, well they just gave me one to fix/sell since they weren't using it so I now have 5 (plus gf makes 6), so I blame them for this problem I have.

City does make sense, it is also why I won't live in one!

Quote:
My wife likes wagons so the Jetta TDI wagon is on the short list ATM. I'm intrigued by your CTS-V suggestion...

on a more serious note..

I have a jetta TDI wagon, I also have a ridiculous jeep with a diesel swap and a car with a 4 cylinder that makes 600hp... the wagon is oddly by far my favorite car I have owned, just wish it was awd (make the new one coming will have a tdi and 4 motion, fingers crossed). The only thing that could get me to part with it are the new all road came with a manual, or the S4 arrived in a wagon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just bought a jetta wagon (gas engine) and we love it. fuel economy actually seems to be pretty good, I'm estimating that we'll be getting about 700kms per tank on the highway, so same as or slightly better than our old Civic.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a ford transit connect recently, its superb!
the bike goes in the back without any hassle
for the price of it and the level of kit it has, its incredibly cheap compared to a car

I love it

and it seats three up front

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Last edited by: Anth: Oct 16, 14 11:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tesla Model X

Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [Anth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
I bought a ford transit connect recently, its superb!

I was like I bet this guy is in the UK, click your blog.. yup :)

You guys sure love your little vans over there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i got a 2015 outback and i am loving it so far...integrated roof rack, so all you need are the yakima/whatever rails or fork grabbers, large trunk, back seat leg room, awd, and 30+mpg...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Honda Fit. With the seats folded down you can just fit two bikes in the back. I can put one in the back and have only one back seat down. I drove a pickup for many years so having the bike secured in the back was a nice change. You can just lock it up instead of hauling the bike into the motel at night. Disk wheel on and ready to go.

I didn't have it until after my kids left home but I think you could easily haul three smaller kids in the rear seat. Not the greatest in the snow. Good gas mileage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diesels are very high. We drive one now, and we love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [JMINPNW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christ on a bike! I get 47(uk)mpg out the van and I drive it like I stole it

-

http://www.thetrinerd.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your gallons are different though, aren't they??

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If snow isn't a concern but the awesomeness of the V scares you, jetta tdi wagon

^^ This

Although I have the TDi Wagon and I live in Fargo ND, it handles the snow and -30° just fine (manual transmission helps)
Excellent mileage, around 50mpg highway in the summer, about 40mpg in the winter.

Don't forget to unclip!
Last edited by: Armstronium: Oct 16, 14 12:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anth wrote:
christ on a bike! I get 47(uk)mpg out the van and I drive it like I stole it

outback is awd and not nearly as light as a gutted connect, and subarus usually really don't get that good of MPG, had an outback XT and it was terrible.

your 47 uk mpg is closer to 39 US

Considering yours is probably like a 1.6 or so diesel? vs his 2.5 or 3.0 that isn't terrible.

edit.. if it's petrol and you want a tune send me a message ;)
Last edited by: mrtopher1980: Oct 16, 14 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Subaru Outback wagon. Add a trailer hitch to it and you've got room for everything you need.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [Armstronium] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Armstronium wrote:
Quote:

^^ This

Although I have the TDi Wagon and I live in Fargo ND, it handles the snow and -30° just fine (manual transmission helps)
Excellent mileage, around 50mpg highway in the summer, about 40mpg in the winter.

The winter drop is terrible, 40 degrees is the switch over point from what I can tell. I actually set myself a reminder in the spring that came up yesterday to start looking into what is changing to see if we can do a tune for it that will get some mpg back in the winter. It's like a light switch for me, it probably wouldn't do much for you at -30 but where I am when it is usually in the 20s or so for a few months it might help.

Mine does ok in the snow as well but it is very hilly where I am, not mountainous but hilly and when you can't safely carry momentum over them you end up getting stuck. A short wheelbase jeep with 500ft/lbs of torque unfortunately isn't that much better either but for entirely different and more exciting reasons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Girlfriend and I just picked up a Subaru XV Crosstrek. Absolutely love the car! Subaru is a huge supporter of Triathlon here in Canada so when it came time to choose a vehicle, it was great to be able to return some of that support. The Forrester or Outback would be a better a option if you have kids as they provide a fair bit more room.

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about Volvo? I love Volvo. XC60/70/90 or V60.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Vehicle [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The VW Jetta Wagon TDI and the Volvo XC70 are my wife's picks at the moment...
Quote Reply

Prev Next