Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
vmac wrote:
Just curious, can Nina Kraft race Kona again if she qualifies?

Pink on/off.

She can, but that doesn't mean she should. However, that's the way the rules are (currently) written.

If she also had a "lifetime ban", she wouldn't be racing either.

There's always Strava.

She has qualified and turned it down to her credit.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without any doping and as a teenager LA stayed with the best triathletes in the world so it was not ALL the doping. If he isn't earning any money why not let him race.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [sdmike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not realized that she did that...pretty class, FWIW.

Hmmm...if Lance went the way of Sammy Gravano. It would certainly prove that cycling's omertà is a sham. Letting Lance back in the game to take down the 'family' that is the UCI and it's various factions, capos, etc...seems like a small price to pay to finally cure the disease instead of extracting the ultimate symptom.

:)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [dbrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbrunner wrote:
Without any doping and as a teenager LA stayed with the best triathletes in the world so it was not ALL the doping. If he isn't earning any money why not let him race.
It's not at all clear that he wasn't doping as a teenager.

Regardless, not letting him race is punishment for his actions. When you screw up, there are consequences.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't guarantee he was or wasn't as a teenager but I doubt any doctor was funding his doping unless the doctor had a crystal ball that worked and had percentage cut on LA's future earnings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It's not at all clear that he wasn't doping as a teenager."

There was not any money in age group triathlons back in the mid 1980s. So, when
he was 13 and kicking the daylights out of adult men where do you imagine
the funding came from for all these PEDs?

I'm fairly sure his mom didn't have that kind of money, judging by the
car she drove taking him to and from races.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Jan 21, 13 20:15
Quote Reply
Post deleted by kennyDalglish [ In reply to ]
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [kennyDalglish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Doped to the eyeballs but entertaining." I may be changing my signature line!

Damn if I'm not a principled guy, but there's a big part of me that just wants to see LA go all out at IMH. It's like seeing how far Jose Conseco can hit a ball with an aluminum bat. It wouldn't be fair, but you'd see it and go "Holy S4it"!

Has LA/MJ ever posted a training TT on the IMH course?

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age-Group is recreational ?

Well, maybe for 70-80% of the participants, but the other 20-30% who invest a lot of sweat, money and countless hours might see him pop-up in a race and take a qualification-slot they where aiming for.

Let him race AG ? Fine, but ban him from the championships, so even if he makes podium, he can't get a Kona-ticket.

Personally (and I have mentioned this before), I would not like to see him in races, whether they are races I compete in or not. Not so much because he doped, but because of his continuous lying, cheating, threathning, bullying, ... If he wants to race and show his fysical capabilities, let him race the extra-ordinary stuff like NorseMan and stuff. The price-money is small compared, the global glamour is small, but the sense of achievement only that much bigger.

A person I admire (former WC MTB - Filip Meirhaeghe) doped and he admitted. He could even have continued and even go back in the woods riding whilst the testers where waiting at his house until they had left. He felt that he was cheating and the right thing to do was to let himself get caught so he did. He was doing the crime, he did the time. He openly confessed to doping immediately and took it on the chin. After his ban he returned, continued for 4 more years and then retired. I like him for his talent and as a person, but I admire him for his honesty and openess.

GReetz,

S.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

He definiely raced professional as 16 year old for prize money. I'm not sure his status as a 15 yr old.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a Lance hater but arent there plenty of unsanctioned events with pretty good competition that he could do?

It seems that he would be competing in these. We have many triathlons around here taht have good fields that are not USAT?

and there are plenty of mt bike and running races he could do today. What am I missing?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe USADA, WADA and WTC can make the decision, and those who participate can talk with actions. If the governing bodies decide to reduce his penalty, then that is what they think is fair. And for what it's worth, it's their call. If other athletes disagree, then they can walk.

Personally, I don't see them reducing the penalty to the point where Lance will have any affect on Triathlon. Maybe reduced so that he could race in 2 or more years, but by then he'll be older, and if he can still beat the younger pros, then they suck...
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I am a Lance hater but arent there plenty of unsanctioned events with pretty good competition that he could do?

It seems that he would be competing in these. We have many triathlons around here taht have good fields that are not USAT?

and there are plenty of mt bike and running races he could do today. What am I missing?

Thanks for admitting that you hate Lance. That's more than most will do, I admire your honesty. That's sort of what I'm thinking.
What's to keep him from having his own triathlon series? I'm sure very few big named pros would want to race him and
it has nothing to do at all with the fear of him being on PEDs.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have some local pros/athletes that would give him a run for his money that are doing events that are not sanctioned.

What is keeping him from doing some regional/local run races...trail races....ultras.....seems that that would go a long way in feeding his desire to compete....

Is the problem that the local RD would refuse to enter him?

perhaps this is his back up plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivansie wrote:

people think too highly of stupid age group tri

If that's your attitude i.e. that just about everyone that participates in tri is engaged in a 'stupid' pastime, then why are you a member of this Forum; other than to post 'stupid' comments that is?

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jan 22, 13 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shamerli wrote:
Age-Group is recreational ?

Well, maybe for 70-80% of the participants, but the other 20-30% who invest a lot of sweat, money and countless hours might see him pop-up in a race and take a qualification-slot they where aiming for.

Wait....are we talking about Lance or Kevin Moats?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:

there definitely was money in tris in the 80s and he was winning money to help his mom pay the bills. i think that it's highly likely he was doped back then. i also wouldn't be surprised if he still is doping because he is so used to feeling artificially good on runs and rides that he wouldn't be able to deal with how a natural 41 year old feels during and after workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [dbrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dbrunner wrote:

Because even without prize purses, money is the reason he wants to race. Racing is a vehicle to sponsorship money which is the only thing that he really has in terms of something that will keep him at the level of affluence he's used to.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't make something that is purely recreational although very competitive more than what it is. If you are not racing pro it is what it is

My membership on the forum is non of your concern and my opinions are as valid as yours

My point is again and maybe stupid was a bad choice of word that is same as other organized recreational sports nothing more

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His first tri coach Rick Crawford was just fired for doping his athletes....

http://velonews.competitor.com/...l-accusations_269341

when I saw this I reallized the possibility of him doping pretty early on became much more plausible....
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed, your membership is none of my concern; I just thought it a strange thing to say (even shooting from the hip), given you're obviously an active member of the Forum and Triathlon community :-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's an obvious question.

Can anyone prove to me that Jacobs, Crowie, and Macca are clean?

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [shamerli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shamerli wrote:

Personally (and I have mentioned this before), I would not like to see him in races, whether they are races I compete in or not. Not so much because he doped, but because of his continuous lying, cheating, threathning, bullying, ...

I've seen this type of response more than a few times since the interview. I don't understand it at all. Basically what you are saying is that you think that there should be a morality or ethics test to be allowed to compete? For example, are you going to let dead beat dads compete? What about a white collar tax cheat? In both those people, they did harm to others...possibly great irreparable harm. So should WTC/USAT develop a criteria on whether you can compete based on whether you are a good citizen or not?

It really seems like people don't want Lance to compete b/c they don't like him as a person. In many cases, people have said that they can understand/forgive the doping (everyone was doing it), but what he did to all those poor people....what a terrible person....ban him!! But that's the thing, there's no rule in the sport about keeping a person out b/c they are a scumbag...and I really hope that they don't go down that road. It's not the WTC/USAT, etc job to be judge and jury on someone's ethics. If they want to keep him out by enforcing a ban for doping by USADA or WADA...fine. But if he gets his ban lifted and can race, keeping him out b/c of the lying, cheating, threatening, bullying, etc is BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
Here's an obvious question.

Can anyone prove to me that Jacobs, Crowie, and Macca are clean?

Even more so, some of the top Ironmen of the 90s and early 00s

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
shamerli wrote:

Personally (and I have mentioned this before), I would not like to see him in races, whether they are races I compete in or not. Not so much because he doped, but because of his continuous lying, cheating, threathning, bullying, ...

I've seen this type of response more than a few times since the interview. I don't understand it at all. Basically what you are saying is that you think that there should be a morality or ethics test to be allowed to compete? For example, are you going to let dead beat dads compete? What about a white collar tax cheat? In both those people, they did harm to others...possibly great irreparable harm. So should WTC/USAT develop a criteria on whether you can compete based on whether you are a good citizen or not?

It really seems like people don't want Lance to compete b/c they don't like him as a person. In many cases, people have said that they can understand/forgive the doping (everyone was doing it), but what he did to all those poor people....what a terrible person....ban him!! But that's the thing, there's no rule in the sport about keeping a person out b/c they are a scumbag...and I really hope that they don't go down that road. It's not the WTC/USAT, etc job to be judge and jury on someone's ethics. If they want to keep him out by enforcing a ban for doping by USADA or WADA...fine. But if he gets his ban lifted and can race, keeping him out b/c of the lying, cheating, threatening, bullying, etc is BS.
+1
Quote Reply

Prev Next