Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm damned shocked WTC actually honored the usada/WADA and therefore usat ban. In fact from a business standpoint, I'm not really sure why it matters that they even use usat for sanctioning. They already have some of their own rules, so I actually applaud them for not caving to the easy route of getting lance into the races.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Garc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lance is worth somewhere north of $100M... I doubt he cares about the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [mag900] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mag900 wrote:

i absolutely want people banned for life who blatantly cheat for years. this has nothing to do with morals and everything to do with the rules and attempting to clean up sports once and for all. what also is absurd is that you are trying to spin this into a morality call when morality has nothing to do with it. comparing a lifetime ban of the biggest drug cheat of all time to the banning of someone who had an abortion is beyond absurd. all cheating is immoral so i don't understand why you are even bringing this up. you also are wrong thinking that i want him banned for life because he is a bad guy (even though i do think he is a bad guy). he could be a saint but someone who so wantonly breaks the rules for so long and who has had such an unfair advantage for so long should be banned for life in all WADA sports regardless of how good or bad the person is.

Ok, but the original statement that I commented on...that you then attacked me for was "Personally (and I have mentioned this before), I would not like to see him in races, whether they are races I compete in or not. Not so much because he doped, but because of his continuous lying, cheating, threathning, bullying, ..."

So if you want him banned for doping...fine. I really don't have a problem with your opinion that he should be banned for life for that. There is certainly enough evidence and now an admission that would warrant it. But my original post, that you took issue with, was that I've seen many posts and comments from people saying that they didn't want him competing, not b/c of the doping, but b/c of the lying, bullying, etc. I took issue with that approach to instituting a ban on an athlete b/c of actions that are not part of the rules.

If his ban is lifted/reduced by USADA/WADA...there is no rule, nor should there be a rule that prevents him from competing. I think what you are saying is that you want USAT to ignore the precedent of "time served" and it's current rules, and issue their own ban. So, in other words, "we don't care if USADA and WADA say he can race, we as a WADA signatory have decided that we will be our own judge and jury on this matter"?
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:

He has sold his private jet and his ranch and is basically having a fire sale on everything.

I'd say stashing his $$$ for all the law suits that are coming.

Sure he will never be poor but he is going to be required to be very creative with his funds going forward.

As for the comments by someone saying prove to me that current pros aren't using, we sadly for you the case is prove to us they are.

You know like they did with Lance and others.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
It isn't. The rules that you two keep quoting over and over to each other cover IN RACE conduct. So your abortion example is patently stupid, unless someone is performing one in the middle of the race, in which case, yeah, I'd call that offensive. The statement is designed so that if you moon the officials in the race or do something equally stupid, they can ding you for it.

I agree with you...that is what I said when the whole sec 3.6 was brought up. That it doesn't apply and that trying to apply that rule here was not only wrong but a complete stretch. My whole point was that there is no rule that excludes him from competing on the basis that he lied/threatened/bullied for years, or was a scumbag, or ran a doping ring. Hence why I've been saying that I don't want a rule like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Garc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garc wrote:
I get a kick out of comments like this from the article:

"Armstrong has won two 70.3 (half ironman distance) triathlons and it is understood he sees the sport as the best way to make money given his sponsors have deserted him. "

Lance's motivations are hard to discern, but I highly doubt that he believes the piddly sponsorship money associated with being a pro triathlete is going to provide him long-term meaningful income.

Assumingly it is a way to get Nike money back. That ain't piddly
Last edited by: SayHey Kid: Jan 22, 13 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

He has sold his private jet and his ranch and is basically having a fire sale on everything.

Sweet! How do I get my hands on some of that gently used high end tri-gear? Do you think he'll post it on the classifieds here or should I look on Craig's List?

"For sale: top of the line, custom built, Trek Speed Concept 9 in black with yellow trim. Includes black banana hammock, used once."
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
PeteDin206 wrote:

I'd say stashing his $$$ for all the law suits that are coming.

Sure he will never be poor but he is going to be required to be very creative with his funds going forward.

As for the comments by someone saying prove to me that current pros aren't using, we sadly for you the case is prove to us they are.

You know like they did with Lance and others.

Dang. I knew he was wealthy, but I didn't know he was private-jet wealthy. That's crazy rich if he's really worth $100M.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Dang. I knew he was wealthy, but I didn't know he was private-jet wealthy. That's crazy rich if he's really worth $100M.

I thought the plane was either Livestrong or Mellow Johnny's, I didn't think it was his personal one.

I could easily be wrong, though.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought it was livestrong's that he just used for "travel". IE, kinda like company golf outings. He could race in livestrong gear and that technically would allow him to use their plane. But as of now with him being out of LS, not sure how legal/kosher something like that is.

But yeah I always thought the jet was livestrong's, or atleast made them foot the expenses.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I always thought it was livestrong's that he just used for "travel". IE, kinda like company golf outings. He could race in livestrong gear and that technically would allow him to use their plane. But as of now with him being out of LS, not sure how legal/kosher something like that is.

But yeah I always thought the jet was livestrong's, or atleast made them foot the expenses.

Owned by Mellow Johnny's Aviation LLC. It isn't owned or an asset of Livestrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [Twotter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twotter wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

Owned by Mellow Johnny's Aviation LLC. It isn't owned or an asset of Livestrong.

Jeez - either way, I can't believe a bike brand has enough capital to own a jet!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:

He passes it on to the causes he's working for. When he spoke at Pelotonia, he got a 100k netjets credit (which i assume was used for maintence and fuel for his plane). I doubt he made them pay for most of the expenses, but I think since he only flies MJA, Im sure he submitted some portion of his receipts, because that's the kind of guy he is. He made guys on the USPS team skip bonuses (documented in tylers book and other sources) to help pay for drugs, instead of taking it out of his share. So while the LS financials dont break it out, it certainly wouldnt be out of character for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And just a note, I wasn't implying that was wrong. That's pretty standard practice, if your are working a race/venue for a company/brand 99.9% of the time said company will pay for those expenses.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't want those people in our sport."

Good to hear her opinion. Thank god this isn't the Soviet Union and we don't have to listen to her.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO it seems like he values titles and racing more than anything. If money drives him, I don't think he would have confessed. This has opened him up to losing possibly most of his net worth, or at least a big part of it.

I expect him to rat out everyone he can in his attempt to get a reduction on his lifetime ban, which is why, IMO, he won't admit he doped during his comeback. He's hoping he gets 8 years dating back to 2005.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Steve-oH! [ In reply to ]
Re: Triathlon Australia CEO & Pete Jacobs say NO LANCE in our Sport (Paper) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I support your no second chance sentiment for drug cheats, I am reminded of the death penalty in many States and Countries. We can all cite the many bad people that have done horrendous things and they deserve to die.

HOWEVER, there have been far too many times when people are on death row, or even been executed and found to be innocent, that I think that a blanket "never allowed to return to sport, for even one infraction" is a bit harsh and unrealistic.

For example. Alberto Contador. The amount of clenbuterol in his system was really low and the reason for the drug is slightly plausible. (not likely but plausible) I don't think he should be banned for life, like long time systematic drug cheat LA. I believe a 2 year suspension is suitable in those kind of cases.

Do you really want the death penalty for a speeding infraction on the highway? No, that would be too extreme. Let the punishment fit the crime. One time drug conviction, sure, 2 years seems reasonable. Second offence? death penalty is probably warranted in that case.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next