Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [DJHollingsworth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJHollingsworth wrote:
Nate,

Sorry if I missed this question already. On the iPhone app, is it possible to put it into horizontal mode and watch Netflix at the same time or is that only on desktop?

Horizontal mode is coming soon on iPhone.

Unless something drastically changes in the iOS ecosystem, we won't ever be able to pay netflix videos with TR data overlaid on them. You'd need to pay netflix on a TV or another computer :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Will the Wahoo RPM cadence sensor work with TR on my MacBook Air?

http://www.wahoofitness.com/...-cadence-sensor.html

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Printer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer wrote:
Nate,

Yup! That one is ANT+ and BT Smart. We use it here at TR and we like it.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Printer wrote:
Nate,

Yup! That one is ANT+ and BT Smart. We use it here at TR and we like it.

Good, because I ordered one yesterday. Thanks for the great work and have a nice holiday.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I buy the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor for use with my
iPhone 5, will it also work with my Garmin HR Strap??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate I have been liaising with Wahoo about the different in measured power between the Kickr and my power2max. They have outlined that firmware has been developed that allows an external power meter to control the kickr. They mentioned that this firmware is being developed in partnership with external partners (such as trainer road) to implement in their apps. Is this something that is being worked up??
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [Julebag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julebag wrote:
If I buy the Wahoo speed/cadence sensor for use with my
iPhone 5, will it also work with my Garmin HR Strap??

Wahoo has a few speed/cadence sensors:

ANT+ Only
BT Only
ANT+/BT Combo

If you get the combo, you'll be able to use it with just about any head unit/phone.

Your Garmin HR strap is ANT+ only. That can be used with any device with an ANT+ stick. So the desktop app or an iPhone with your iPhone via the Wahoo ANT dongle.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [harts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harts wrote:
Nate I have been liaising with Wahoo about the different in measured power between the Kickr and my power2max. They have outlined that firmware has been developed that allows an external power meter to control the kickr. They mentioned that this firmware is being developed in partnership with external partners (such as trainer road) to implement in their apps. Is this something that is being worked up??

We're aware of it :). I don't know how much I can say about it because of NDAs though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would be awesome if this came out sooner rather then later as at the moment I have to artificially inflate FTP in trainer road to be riding at the right intensity as measured by my power2max.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [harts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
harts wrote:

I got the same message from a technician trying to help me. No timeline was given.

Until then I have settled into a particular process.

I use the Kickr to control TrainerRoad in ERG and allow that data to be uploaded to TR, which also passes the same data out to other web based sites like Strava. My FTP in TrainerRoad has been bumped up 11 watts based on several tests between the Kickr and a Quarq.

Use a Garmin Edge to record the power from a Quarq ELSA and upload it to WKO+ and Golden Cheetah. The data in WKO is what I track for training trends and feel comfortable knowing that the data is good. My data shown at TrainerRoad and Strava is inflated for those in my social circle looking. So if you happen to see it I am actually 11 to 13 watts less in performance.

I have to remember to disable Garmin Express when I connect the Edge so it does not duplicate the data on Strava, Connect and TrainingPeaks since that data is synced from TrainerRoad using Tapiriik. I've had to go back through my training activities and delete some of the duplicates because I forget at times to disable Express.

It will be nice when this gets sorted out with the offset value when and if Wahoo gets it sorted out so that I can simply record the data to TrainerRoad and eliminate the step with the Garmin Edge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you run a spindown (paired with KICKR) on the iOS version? I feel like I must be missing something obvious, but spent a few minutes at the start of my workout today trying to figure it out.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're not missing anything! In this first release we didn't get that feature added because of the amount of Kickr users and us wanting to get the app out asap.

For now, we recommend double tapping over to the Wahoo app and using that to do a roll down test in.

Our next release will have an iPad specific layout and landscape layout for iPhone 4/5/5s/6/6+. The release after that will have the roll down stuff.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds good.

Does the workout pause when you switch over to another app?
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Not unless you have auto pause on via cadence.

So if you don't have auto pause on, just hit the pause button before you switch over.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [cmd111183] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
So, also slow on tech stuff with cycling, but on a Road Machine, with InRide, download the software on to my laptop. Plug laptop into TV. Boom I've got live workouts in front of me on my television that will live track HR/Cadence/Speed all while pushing me in workouts built for my specific fitness level? All I need to do is my baselines through InRide and that will transfer setting me up with a workout program?

So with this set-up (now that I got my InRide), how will the InRide communicate with my laptop and Trainerroad? Or should I just push everything through my iPad, in which case I'll need to find a way to link iPad to TV for better experience.

Sorry, just confused on how to tether all of this stuff so it works together. Anxious to get some workouts going!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
So, also slow on tech stuff with cycling, but on a Road Machine, with InRide, download the software on to my laptop. Plug laptop into TV. Boom I've got live workouts in front of me on my television that will live track HR/Cadence/Speed all while pushing me in workouts built for my specific fitness level? All I need to do is my baselines through InRide and that will transfer setting me up with a workout program?

So with this set-up (now that I got my InRide), how will the InRide communicate with my laptop and Trainerroad? Or should I just push everything through my iPad, in which case I'll need to find a way to link iPad to TV for better experience.

Sorry, just confused on how to tether all of this stuff so it works together. Anxious to get some workouts going!

I personally like watching TV on the big screen and having an iPhone in front of me on the bike.

But you have two choice to get it going to the TV.

1) Put it all through your iPad and use Apple TV to mirror the display on your TV (btw, we're almost done with an iPad specific release)
2) Put it all through your laptop. A lot of new laptops have HDMI ports that you can connect it with just one cable (no adapter)

If you need any help let me know.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:
cmd111183 wrote:

I personally like watching TV on the big screen and having an iPhone in front of me on the bike.

But you have two choice to get it going to the TV.

1) Put it all through your iPad and use Apple TV to mirror the display on your TV (btw, we're almost done with an iPad specific release)
2) Put it all through your laptop. A lot of new laptops have HDMI ports that you can connect it with just one cable (no adapter)

If you need any help let me know.

Ok got ya there. So how does InRide communicate with TrainerRoad? As far as ipad goes, what are most folks doing? Deff not mounting on bike, just keeping in front of you on a table? Guess that's my main reason for putting on the tv. Being able to see the damn thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're on iPad, it will just connect via BT smart. There's really nothing special to do.

If you're on a laptop it's a little more complicated. If you're on a new mac it will just work. If you're on an old mac it will work with a dongle. If you're on a PC you'll need a specific dongle.

More info here: http://support.trainerroad.com/...h-Smart-Connectivity

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. So ordered the dongle. InRide connects only to iOS currently. So by default I have to use InRide with my iPad, which happens to be a generation supported by InRide but not TrainnerRoad. That said, how will InRide communicate with TrainnerRoad? Will the dongle be enough, in that it will pick up the power data right from the InRide bluetooth and render the actual InRide app irrelevant? That would be ideal, I can just use my laptop for TrainnerRoad and have all data sent there. Or am I stuck bc I have an iPad supported by InRide that won't be able to forward the data to TrainnerRoad?

Again apologies. I just suck w/ tech stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmd111183 wrote:
Cool. So ordered the dongle. InRide connects only to iOS currently. So by default I have to use InRide with my iPad, which happens to be a generation supported by InRide but not TrainnerRoad. That said, how will InRide communicate with TrainnerRoad? Will the dongle be enough, in that it will pick up the power data right from the InRide bluetooth and render the actual InRide app irrelevant? That would be ideal, I can just use my laptop for TrainnerRoad and have all data sent there. Or am I stuck bc I have an iPad supported by InRide that won't be able to forward the data to TrainnerRoad?

Again apologies. I just suck w/ tech stuff.

inRide will connect to laptops with BT 4.0. If you have a mac with BT 4.0, it just works. You can also get a BT 4.0 dongle on a mac ($10) and that will work.

inRide on PC will need a special BT 4.0 dongle. More info on that here: http://support.trainerroad.com/...h-Smart-Connectivity

On iOS, you don't need any dongle to use the inRide with the iPad/iPhone.

There are some caveats with the inRide that you should be aware of. On iOS, there's no way to calibrate the inRide at the moment. That will be in our release after iPad (iPad has like two bugs left then it's going to beta). There's a possibility of getting a bad calibration from the inRide in iOS. That could cause some bad numbers to come up.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using trainerroad with the app on my IPAD since it came out a few months ago. Now I'm considering buying sufferfest videos. If I continue to us TR with the IPAD, do I just do my best to manually start the TR sufferfest ride at the same time that I start the video, which I plan to play on my tv through the Xbox or DVD player? I just want to make sure this will work reasonably well before I buy sufferfest.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [cwhyte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cwhyte wrote:
Been using trainerroad with the app on my IPAD since it came out a few months ago. Now I'm considering buying sufferfest videos. If I continue to us TR with the IPAD, do I just do my best to manually start the TR sufferfest ride at the same time that I start the video, which I plan to play on my tv through the Xbox or DVD player? I just want to make sure this will work reasonably well before I buy sufferfest.

Yes, that will work. Btw, we just released a new iPad specific version to the app store last night! :)

Video support in the iOS app is on the short list of things to do right now.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never been able to get the iOS app to work. I download, log in, it downloads my career data and then crashes. After that, it never even opens, starts to but immediately crashes, every time. Have tried installing multiple times. I have the iPhone 5s running iOS 8.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
cwhyte wrote:

Yes, that will work. Btw, we just released a new iPad specific version to the app store last night! :)

Video support in the iOS app is on the short list of things to do right now.

Nate, thanks, what new benefits will I see from the IPAD app? Also, I'm wondering how helpful IOS video integration will be with the file size of Sufferfest videos? Is there a way to shrink the file sizes down for IOS storage, otherwise with a 16GB phone/IPAD, these videos will take a ton of file space.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad iOS App is out [tpero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tpero wrote:
I have never been able to get the iOS app to work. I download, log in, it downloads my career data and then crashes. After that, it never even opens, starts to but immediately crashes, every time. Have tried installing multiple times. I have the iPhone 5s running iOS 8.

Can you email me directly at nate@trainerroad.com? Sorry about this :(.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply

Prev Next