Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
davearm wrote:

That's precisely why it's so so important to make them attentive by riding directly in the path of the 4000# vehicle they're not operating safely.

You can eliminate drunk/distracted/drowsy/drugged behaviors by sheer will, determination, and lane positioning.

and a mirror...don't forget the mirror.

OMG this made me laugh.

i have to say though, i'm convinced to ride with a mirror. the other day i had a semi lay on the horn at a van that had just cut him off. it happened behind me so i had no idea what was going on but i could hear the traffic and started to head over to jump off the shoulder into the dirt. before i could react fast enough though, the semi and offending van had gone past me. if i'd had a mirror i'd like to think i would have noticed that and would have been able to react faster and get further away from teh dueling vehicles. so there is that...and it is on the list for the next USA visit.

in other news of the world (since you're asking and all...) YES! we finally got rain! hopefully the state will stop burning now... and the flies that come when it is time to plant corn are here (ick).

You don't want a mirror. Do you really want to see what happens behind you. Every texted that drifts in the lane only to switch at the last minute? Do you think a mirror would give you the time needed to react without taking your eyes and attention off where it needs to be, in front?

Don't get a mirror. Don't listen to this poser.
If you have a mirror, you can quickly learn how your position affects the behavior of traffic behind you, and how best to use your position to your safety advantage. Why would you not want to have that information?

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think you are going to succesfully Godwin this thread. It ha been tried a couple of times already.

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Stuff like that used to happen to me when I rode as close to the edge as this cyclist is, inviting motorists to pass just as this absent-minded SUV driver did. I don't invite them to do that any more, but I do get out of the way, release, when it's safe to do so. They like that. Life is good.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it is truly the thread that won't die!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:

Yep. Stuff like that used to happen to me when I rode as close to the edge as this cyclist is, inviting motorists to pass just as this absent-minded SUV driver did. I don't invite them to do that any more, but I do get out of the way, release, when it's safe to do so. They like that. Life is good.

Any time evidence is brought refuting your assertion you become blind and blame the cyclist. He had the lane, it was unsafe to pass. The driver passed anyway, end of story.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume some of the hundreds who continue lurking on this thread are more interested in learning about traffic cycling safety than reading the inane heckling. With that in mind, here are two articles on the same topic, the first from a UK perspective, the second US.

Cyclists! Why do they ride in the middle of the road?

FAQ: Why do you ride like that?
“Biking in the middle of the lane like that sure looks dangerous.”

And a summary:
https://www.facebook.com/...ype=3&permPage=1

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: Jun 5, 15 12:15
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

Any time evidence is brought refuting your assertion you become blind and blame the cyclist. He had the lane, it was unsafe to pass. The driver passed anyway, end of story.
If you think that cyclist "had the lane", that explains much.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to slowtwitch you might want to get used to it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
I presume some of the hundreds who continue lurking on this thread are more interested in learning about traffic cycling safety that reading the inane heckling. With that in mind, here are two articles on the same topic, the first from a UK perspective, the second US.

And a summary:

You like to presume a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would be wrong. The only reason anyone is still reading this thread is precisely because of the inane heckling.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
I presume some of the hundreds who continue lurking on this thread are more interested in learning about traffic cycling safety that reading the inane heckling. With that in mind, here are two articles on the same topic, the first from a UK perspective, the second US.

And a summary:

You like to presume a lot

I think I presume less than most; I just like to be explicit about it when I do presume. That creates more opportunity for correction of bad premises.

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: Jun 5, 15 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
You would be wrong. The only reason anyone is still reading this thread is precisely because of the inane heckling.
If true, that's pathetic.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call it pathetic all you want. I'm only come to see how others have pointed out your stupidity.

By the way I was listening to hannity today and he was tking about self centered cyclist taking over the lanes so that he has to slow down and how he is that guy beeping his horn at him. That dude has millions of listeners. How many of the. Do you think agree with him? You aren't winning any friends here.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
I presume some of the hundreds who continue lurking on this thread are more interested in learning about traffic cycling safety that reading the inane heckling.

To be honest, I did come to learn about traffic cycling but stayed for the inane heckling.

Just kidding - at his daily sermon Duffy threatened us all with beatings if we didn't continue to read and post.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:

I presume some of the hundreds who continue lurking on this thread are more interested in learning about traffic cycling safety that reading the inane heckling.

To be honest, I did come to learn about traffic cycling but stayed for the inane heckling.

Just kidding - at his daily sermon Duffy threatened us all with beatings if we didn't continue to read and post.

I just came here to see WTF you guys could be talking about after this long and this many replies.

Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Call it pathetic all you want. I'm only come to see how others have pointed out your stupidity.

By the way I was listening to hannity today and he was tking about self centered cyclist taking over the lanes so that he has to slow down and how he is that guy beeping his horn at him. That dude has millions of listeners. How many of the. Do you think agree with him? You aren't winning any friends here.
Great. You're with Hannity about thinking it's okay to honk at cyclists simply because they make you slow down? Wow.

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think Hannity has any idea that the "bicyclists must ride far right" law has a narrow lane exception in it, and that that exception applies on almost all roads (few roads have lanes over 14 feet wide), much less the very good safety reasons for it? Of course he honks at cyclists that slow him down. He's ignorant about the law and cycling traffic safety. Are you?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, here is the text of the CA version of the law with some highlighting:
CVC 21202

And again the summary of reasons for cyclists to use the full lane:

Why is that bicyclist using the full lane?

Are you doing anything to help make the world a better place for cycling on the roads?

Last edited by: Ninety5rpm: Jun 5, 15 17:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ninety5rpm wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Great. You're with Hannity about thinking it's okay to honk at cyclists simply because they make you slow down? Wow.

I didn't say that and you know it. It is a very clear example of the mentality of many motorist and you are a fool for taking unnecessary risk and by promoting the crap you have. As a result people will die. You are a loser just like the guys with guns in chipotle and just like that idiot in Georgia.

By the way, hannity isn't in California.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Last edited by: TheForge: Jun 5, 15 18:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Ninety5rpm wrote:
TheForge wrote:

I didn't say that and you know it. It is a very clear example of the mentality of many motorist and you are a fool for taking unnecessary risk and by promoting the crap you have. As a result people will die. You are a loser just like the guys with guns in chipotle and just like that idiot in Georgia.

By the way, hannity isn't in California.
That mentality of the motorist is a given and understood. For the umpteenth time it's one of the main reasons I use a mirror so I know when to communicate and when to release while I'm using the full lane. It keeps the Hannities from honking. It keeps them from getting angry. It keeps them from getting annoyed. Don't believe me? I don't care. Some people think I might be onto something, they actually try it, and they discover it for themselves. Suit yourself.

People on bicycles die almost every day, and much of it because they're so afraid of being in front of cars that they ride "out of the way" where they're inconspicuous and get HIT and KILLED as a result.

We agree motorists can be inattentive, jerks and dangerous, and and we want cyclists to be safer. We just disagree on how to get there. I believe in my methods from experience. You don't believe they'll work because you try to imagine it and that just doesn't work. Again, suit yourself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're either insane, terrible at having a conversation, or simply cannot read. Perhaps all three. Forge didn't say anything of the like. There was nothing said nor implied about an agreement or disagreement with Hannity. At best you could surmise that Forge was saying Hannity has a wide audience, Hannity was expressing frustration with cyclists riding in a certain way that disrupts traffic flow, and Forge is of the opinion that cyclists would be best served by not stoking the fires of frustration and riding in a way that's respectful and considerate of motor traffic & not even putting the appearance out of impeding that. I believe that's what his comments imply, but I cannot speak for Forge.

You're reaching, or continuing to do so, which is nothing new in this thread given that you compared cycling on roads to the civil rights struggle of the '50s/'60s. By the way--You never did report back on what your token friend had to say about your ridiculous comparison.

Ninety5rpm wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Jun 5, 15 19:56
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad Forge doesn't agree with Hannity.

But you're all still disagreeing with something you don't understand and have not experienced. I'm talking about X, you think I meN Y, and you're disagreeing with Y. It's very frustrating. No matter how many times I explain you still interpret X as Y.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes sometimes the smart thing to do is not to exercise legal rights such as taking the lane all of the time or carrying firearms into an airport... Either way they are both legal but in both cases they are both stupid...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Anyone else read ninety5rpm's post in the same voice as H2ofun? Seems like the same person...stubborn, mirror,happily ignorant?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply

Prev Next