Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Ninety5rpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What you guys are totally dismissing is that when you're on a shoulder and the ultra-feared distracted driver is approaching, you're doing nothing to grab his attention. Your position on the shoulder is irrelevant to him, and is not going to distract him from his distraction."

How about if I am on the shoulder with a bright red pulsing light on my seatpost? Am I now doing something to grab his attention?

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [gellerche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both are 30 round magazines for their respective bullets. The guy on the left has a 30 round 5.56 magazine for his AR 15 the guy on the right has a 30 round 7.62x39 magazine for his SKS.

It is bigger because the bullet casing is bigger in diameter and tapers. The bullet itself is 2mm bigger.

I agree and I'm pretty much in favor of NO gun control and UNRESTRICTED carry. But I also value a property owners rights and common sense. These guys had just come from an open carry rally, and that is fine. They should have put there rifles away after the rally. It is one thing to open carry a pistol on your side. Carrying two semi-auto rifles into a private business with patrons who do not understand the laws because you can does not make sense and might even make enemies towards the cause. Then posing with them none the less Even original supporters like me become your enemy real quick.

You know, sort of like pulling into traffic pissing off drivers who will then take it out on other cyclist who don't have anything to do with that interaction.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HS are you guys still here.
You could have got peace in the middle east faster.

Love the segue into a gun column.
Sooner or later the LR nutters come out to play.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phog wrote:
HS are you guys still here.
You could have got peace in the middle east faster.

Love the segue into a gun column.
Sooner or later the LR nutters come out to play.

No thread in the LR has ever turned out like this one.

I was done with it about a thousand posts ago.

Having it turn into a gun control debate would be an improvement.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And on a related note, I saw the story today about the guy who brought his AR-15 with a 100-round drum into Atlanta's Hartsfield terminal, because it's legal. He said the only ones that were concerned were the ones ignorant of Georgia's law. Not picking any sides on this one, just reporting.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
"What you guys are totally dismissing is that when you're on a shoulder and the ultra-feared distracted driver is approaching, you're doing nothing to grab his attention. Your position on the shoulder is irrelevant to him, and is not going to distract him from his distraction."

How about if I am on the shoulder with a bright red pulsing light on my seatpost? Am I now doing something to grab his attention?
Yes, I think a bright red light can't hurt, but still, that only addresses sensory conspicuity, not cognitive conspicuity. To be cognitively conspicuous, you need to be relevant to the observer in question.

Inattentional blindness is all about not noticing things that are perceived as irrelevant. A cyclist on the shoulder, even with lights flashing, is not very relevant to motorists in the travel lanes. That's of course because they don't intend on driving on the shoulder. But an irrelevant cyclist is an unnoticed cyclist - like he's not even there. That's how drift crashes into cyclists on shoulders occur, even cyclists with flashing lights.

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a strong supporter of gun rights but like all legal rights sometimes it is just not a good idea to exercise them...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [joelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a strong supporter of the right to life, but for this particular thread, sometimes it is just not a good idea to keep it alive...
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, notice I wasn't pushing gun rights. I was pointing out how two idiots claiming to exert their rights have now legally denied other gun owners their rights because their actions unreasonable. Yes,
Me theforge acknowledging a gun owners actions unreasonable. I can think of a better analogy. I thought abouth this by page 5, but didn't want to turn this into a gun thread. But these fools kept going. Now they are being compared to people I'm sure they are ideologically against. Let me ask 95rpm, do you think these guys were right to exercise their legal rights to openly carry guns? Do you think it was wise to use weapons like this, while legal to exert their right? Maybe if they used a mirror and saw how ridiculous they looked I could still legally carry a concealed weopon into chipotle. A place I visit at least once a week. Maybe some idiot listening to your gospel will piss off enough people so cities ban bikes from roads altogether if sidewalks, paths or routes are present. I know some cities in florida banned running in the street do I there was a sidewalk. Subject to a 250 fine. What do you think led to that law?

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awe we are having so much fun and also I don't want 95 to be the last post of this thread if possible...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think V shaped rims are fastest.

Also, what is the best saddle out there?

PS- Should I raise my seat a few cm?

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I get your point. Carry on with the party. I'll just go browse for some trucker hats.
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you find a good "trucker hat" please give it to 95 I really think he needs one...

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He prefers his hats to be made of tin foil.

#cyclistlivesmatter

joelt wrote:
If you find a good "trucker hat" please give it to 95 I really think he needs one...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True oh so true LOL...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
davearm wrote:

That's precisely why it's so so important to make them attentive by riding directly in the path of the 4000# vehicle they're not operating safely.

You can eliminate drunk/distracted/drowsy/drugged behaviors by sheer will, determination, and lane positioning.

and a mirror...don't forget the mirror.

OMG this made me laugh.

i have to say though, i'm convinced to ride with a mirror. the other day i had a semi lay on the horn at a van that had just cut him off. it happened behind me so i had no idea what was going on but i could hear the traffic and started to head over to jump off the shoulder into the dirt. before i could react fast enough though, the semi and offending van had gone past me. if i'd had a mirror i'd like to think i would have noticed that and would have been able to react faster and get further away from teh dueling vehicles. so there is that...and it is on the list for the next USA visit.

in other news of the world (since you're asking and all...) YES! we finally got rain! hopefully the state will stop burning now... and the flies that come when it is time to plant corn are here (ick).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jun 4, 15 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SUCK IT SURFING LAMB THREAD!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This video exemplifies one of the dangers associated with edge, shoulder and bike lane riding. He's on a TT bike even.

See also:
https://vimeo.com/74851821

SAVE YOUR LIFE: Know the bike-car crash types and how to avoid them

Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely this thread rocks!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
davearm wrote:

That's precisely why it's so so important to make them attentive by riding directly in the path of the 4000# vehicle they're not operating safely.

You can eliminate drunk/distracted/drowsy/drugged behaviors by sheer will, determination, and lane positioning.

and a mirror...don't forget the mirror.

OMG this made me laugh.

i have to say though, i'm convinced to ride with a mirror. the other day i had a semi lay on the horn at a van that had just cut him off. it happened behind me so i had no idea what was going on but i could hear the traffic and started to head over to jump off the shoulder into the dirt. before i could react fast enough though, the semi and offending van had gone past me. if i'd had a mirror i'd like to think i would have noticed that and would have been able to react faster and get further away from teh dueling vehicles. so there is that...and it is on the list for the next USA visit.

in other news of the world (since you're asking and all...) YES! we finally got rain! hopefully the state will stop burning now... and the flies that come when it is time to plant corn are here (ick).

You don't want a mirror. Do you really want to see what happens behind you. Every texted that drifts in the lane only to switch at the last minute? Do you think a mirror would give you the time needed to react without taking your eyes and attention off where it needs to be, in front?

Don't get a mirror. Don't listen to this poser.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hitler
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Hitler

Weak.

You can't kill this thread that easily.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more I see stuff like that the more I am convinced that I want to do almost all of my rides indoors on my kickr...

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: To the cyclist on Hwy. 1 in Malibu this morning... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Hitler

Weak.

You can't kill this thread that easily.

Lance?
Quote Reply

Prev Next