Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG
Quote | Reply
I am looking for opinions / advice on the coaching thing. I have been self coaching / doing tris for approx 2 to 3 years, I have done 5 to 10 short sprint distances, 5 or so Olympic and 2 x HIM. I just completed the last HIM in just under 5 hours which I am happy with, based on past performances. My main training program has been the Tri dominator which I followed for the just finished HIM, all good, no issues, if it is a good or bad program I cant say I have the specific knowledge to judge, but it seemed ok. Next step is first IM which I have signed up for next May so I have time to sort things out.

Swimming is my weak leg, below average atm 8 to 10km per week via 2 x swim squads and one on my own. This is the leg I would like to improve on the most. I feel better in the water over the last year or so but dont really seem to get any faster.
Bike is a bit above average in my AG mostly done on own following the program
Run is a bit above average in my AG mostly done on own following the program

I am not trying to qualify for anything here or break any records, I guess my main aim is to be a decent age grouper and better my own performances. With work etc I can commit 12 to 15 hours per week, maybe a little more in the peak weeks of a program. I understand this is not as much as some but it is the most I can commit to. So the idea of a coach was for more specific work outs, as I dont have the 20 to 25 hours per week I want to make the most of my training hours. I dont mind spending the money on a coach as long as it pays dividends. I just feel it is maybe it bit much for MOP age grouper to have a coach, if I spend x amount per year and save 5 mins, is it worth it (I know I can only answer that). Just looking for a bit of feedback on how many MOP AG have a coach and if they saw significant gains over time.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [Jazwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jazwolf wrote:
I am looking for opinions / advice on the coaching thing. I have been self coaching / doing tris for approx 2 to 3 years, I have done 5 to 10 short sprint distances, 5 or so Olympic and 2 x HIM. I just completed the last HIM in just under 5 hours which I am happy with, based on past performances. My main training program has been the Tri dominator which I followed for the just finished HIM, all good, no issues, if it is a good or bad program I cant say I have the specific knowledge to judge, but it seemed ok. Next step is first IM which I have signed up for next May so I have time to sort things out.

Swimming is my weak leg, below average atm 8 to 10km per week via 2 x swim squads and one on my own. This is the leg I would like to improve on the most. I feel better in the water over the last year or so but dont really seem to get any faster.
Bike is a bit above average in my AG mostly done on own following the program
Run is a bit above average in my AG mostly done on own following the program

I am not trying to qualify for anything here or break any records, I guess my main aim is to be a decent age grouper and better my own performances. With work etc I can commit 12 to 15 hours per week, maybe a little more in the peak weeks of a program. I understand this is not as much as some but it is the most I can commit to. So the idea of a coach was for more specific work outs, as I dont have the 20 to 25 hours per week I want to make the most of my training hours. I dont mind spending the money on a coach as long as it pays dividends. I just feel it is maybe it bit much for MOP age grouper to have a coach, if I spend x amount per year and save 5 mins, is it worth it (I know I can only answer that). Just looking for a bit of feedback on how many MOP AG have a coach and if they saw significant gains over time.

If you have the money and can take direction, I guess why not. I have raced for 16 years and have never had a coach. This is a hobby. I have way more family things to spend money on than I have money. :o)

One simple way to get better, just train those 12 to 15 hours a week, all year long, for many years. A lot of folks need a coach to keep them training. I do not seem to have that need.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My two cents; and yes I am going to throw in a plug for my coach:) The Darkhorse Tri guy has improved my performance in all three sports.
I think what you will find with a coach, is not only improvement with what you are already capable of but getting to the point where qualifying for something just might start to creep into the picture.

Your times are solid already but given specific workouts will no doubt make you a better triathlete.The time is not your issue,its WHAT you do with your time. Only you can decide if it is worth the money.

cr

Http://darkhorsemultisport.blogspot.com :Riding the Awesome Train with Darkhorse Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have only been pursuing Triathlon for 2 years, but have really enjoyed being self-coached. For those who lack in motivation, I think the accountability and structure of coaching seems to be really beneficial. With that said, people like me who love to train a lot, could benefit from being told when to go hard and when to go easy etc. When it comes to the basic structure of training, I've really enjoyed reading Joe Friel.

Consistency seems to be one of the biggest factors with age-groupers, so if you get that down, the gains will come.

Do you have access to a masters swim group/class? You mentioned swim squad, so I'll assume this is a masters style class. You might benefit from increasing your frequency of swimming.

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [MDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Motivation isnt a problem and I dont mind self coaching just have to admit that I dont know enough to get the most out of or build specific workouts. I know there is alot of free information around but one say this, one says something else, at times I find it hard to decide which direction to take. With my current swim squad, (which would be similar to masters i guess) I can do up to 3 times a week, maybe i just need more time in the pool. I seem to be able to get consistent gains on the bike and running but swimming is a different story. I have done the video analysis, which help alot, I seem more efficient and the swimming coach say my stroke looks alot better but it just isnt transferring over into the times yet. Maybe the changes just need more time to make a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending how you feel about your bike and run training - you could think about using some of the money that you would spend on Triathlon coaching to get some 1:1 swim lessons. You might talk to some of your Triathlon buddies or guys here on ST to see if you can get a good recommendation for lessons in your area. I know what you mean about hearing different theories and methods regarding the training approach. Picking a coach you believe in (if you can afford it) would be one way to pick a method and run with it.

Joe Friel is popular on the forums, I just picked up his book 'Your Best Triathlon' and am planning out my next build using this book. If I wasn't trying to acquire wheels and a power meter, I would probably be more open to coaching.

My Website || Twitter || Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jazwolf wrote:
if I spend x amount per year and save 5 mins, is it worth it (I know I can only answer that). Just looking for a bit of feedback on how many MOP AG have a coach and if they saw significant gains over time.

My aim in the following example is not to advertise myself - just to give context to your mins per$.
BOMOP athlete in his 50s improved FTP by 31% over 11mths (with a bit of a break from the program in the middle thanks to family issues). Which meant his IM target bike time (for first one) dropped by 45mins. Which led to a late change in the training plan as I'd not placed much emphasis on swimming as there was so much room to improve the bike - when he started getting quite good on the bike it became necessary to lift the focus on swimming so that wouldn't be a limiter. For 3k there is no piece of equipment that could make that difference.

Normally I expect to help an athlete who is starting from MOP or poorly trained level to improve FTP by 15-20%. Obviously I think a coach has something to add or I wouldn't be one.

Having said that - if you put a lot of effort into learning how to use available tools (WKO+, power meter, GPS watch etc) you can get all the same benefits. It's just that a good coach will cut through a lot of the mistakes you'll make while learning. I never expect to coach an individual for years and years as usually they learn enough to be happy going self managed after a couple of years - still following the principles I gave them.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [C Rose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C Rose wrote:
My two cents; and yes I am going to throw in a plug for my coach:) The Darkhorse Tri guy has improved my performance in all three sports.
I think what you will find with a coach, is not only improvement with what you are already capable of but getting to the point where qualifying for something just might start to creep into the picture.

Your times are solid already but given specific workouts will no doubt make you a better triathlete.The time is not your issue,its WHAT you do with your time. Only you can decide if it is worth the money.

cr

I have the same coach as C Rose and it has been worth every penny. I have made gains that I did not think were possible and I seriously doubt I would have reached on my own. It is not just doing the training it is doing the right workouts and incorporating appropriate rest. I suspect I would have made improvements without a coach but if you are truly interested in competing and challenging yourself the last 3-5% makes a huge difference. You may surprise yourself if you find the right coach that can really dial in your training and racing. Good luck!

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I self coached, hired a coach, self coached, hired a coach over the part 10 years in the sport.

For me it is very simple. I don't like the nuts and bolts of building my own plan. I don't have the ability to objectively look at my data, benchmarks or adjustments as needed. I am very kik,ey to take short cuts on my own because I have a VERY flexible schedule.

I use a coach because it removes all that for me. I wake up to an email telling e what to do, i go do it and get on with my day. There is no second guessing. It's his job to stress about that. It's my job to train. In the end it completely simplifies things for me.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the big advantage of working with a coach, it removes the "am I doing the right thing" from the equation, and allows the athlete to devote the time and energy to execution, not planning. I do a mix these days, masters swim about 5-7 times per week and a couple more swims on my own. It takes a lot longer to prep for the 2 swims on my own than it does all of the other swims combined.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was 'self coached' from when I started a couple of years ago until recently. First full recently was a <10:30 with a FOP bike and GI problems on the run leading to missing the sub 10. I come from zero athletic background and have no natural abilities.

A few months ago I started with a coach and am now considering ending that again. Why? I enjoy training, I like the ability to get up in the morning and look outside and decide it looks like a great day for a long ride in the hills or a hard run session. I enjoy the brutality of a trainer session that leaves me unable to walk. I don't need someone else to motivate me to train and I don't need the feeling of failure when I miss a session because I decide breakfast with my girlfriend is more appealing.

Triathletes often get caught up in the 'right' way to train and forget to enjoy themselves in the process. I honestly believe I can achieve a low 9 in the next few years with a self guided route, training the way I enjoy and backing off when I feel burned out for a while. I may get there a year or two faster with a coach but I may lose the love and the freedom of training that got me training in the first place.

I learned a long time ago that the only pertinent information you offer is found within the last sentence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked up that "Tri Dominator" program you used and got a chuckle to see that it was ST's well known Ben Greenfield as the author. (Should have guessed by the name - was wondering who came up with that!)

He knows a fair amount about tri, but it's the stuff about the magnetic bracelets and other bizarro things he sells as well that has me more than skeptical at times.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [mopshiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopshiv wrote:
Triathletes often get caught up in the 'right' way to train and forget to enjoy themselves in the process. I honestly believe I can achieve a low 9 in the next few years with a self guided route, training the way I enjoy and backing off when I feel burned out for a while. I may get there a year or two faster with a coach but I may lose the love and the freedom of training that got me training in the first place.

A pretty good and astute observation.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought this might pop up, the program seemed ok, i dont really know much about his other stuff so cant comment. I am just looking if there is a next step or just redo the program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In some ways that is kind of what I have been doing, but I made sure i got all the sessions of the program within the week. I am just at the point of wondering if that is enough, maybe I am better with a set program. The other thing is i pretty much train on my own, dont have any friends into triathlons. The coach I am looking at includes all the clubs sessions within the cost and they are close to me, just thought for long rides etc it would be nice to have some other bodies around.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear at least one thing the Ben Greenfield plugs works!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jazwolf wrote:
In some ways that is kind of what I have been doing, but I made sure i got all the sessions of the program within the week. I am just at the point of wondering if that is enough, maybe I am better with a set program. The other thing is i pretty much train on my own, dont have any friends into triathlons. The coach I am looking at includes all the clubs sessions within the cost and they are close to me, just thought for long rides etc it would be nice to have some other bodies around.

If you are looking at coaches expand your horizons and look beyond local coaches. There are some top notch coaches that work with many athletes who are from various locations in the US and some abroad. Just because they are the club coach doesn't mean they are a good coach or the best coach fit for you but they could be. Some clubs are set up really as a training squad for a local coach.

I had a coach every year I did tris. I'm a BOPer person but I like to do the best I can with my abilities. I like having a coach looking at the big picture, planning my training so my job was to execute my training and focus on that. I had coaches that would work well around my schedule to have it fit well in my life and if stuff came up help me work things around or tell me which to skip and which workouts to follow.

Some coaches limit how much contact with you. Others write your plan in long blocks from 2 weeks to a month at a time. But bigger issue I see is some coaches are really plan writers and write your plan and expect you to execute it and don't get or look much at how you did in your block of training and then just write another plan. I don't see those type of coaches as true coaches as they are missing a huge piece of the data on how you are doing in your training and using your workouts to help build your next plan.

Other coaches like to work with fast people or a certain type of an athlete. They may take you on as a client but not be an ideal fit for you.

Look at how they get feedback from you? Email? Text? Do they use an on line type of system like Training Peaks? Or do they just email you your plan and you do it. Do they limit your emails or calls? Do they have various levels of plan and attention.

What are you looking for in a coach? Use that information to look at various coaches to find the right fit. Ask a potential coach about how they have helped other athletes like you improve.

Get references and contact them with list of questions.

For me having a coach helped me in many ways from taking burden of what to do away, setting up my season, helping me develop race plan based, advise me on equipment decisions, and be a good partner in getting me ready for my races. I felt having a coach was always a positive and improved the enjoyment of the sport. Not all the coaches I had were good but over time I learned what I wanted more and in the end found a great coach who was not a plan writer, but a true coach that worked hard to help me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont think your level of performance should be the decision making in coach or no coach. your committement to stick to a program, willingness to learn are the element that will be critical. I have always enjoy having a coach working for me, someone i could talk to after workout, send a email, talk about the training plan etc.

it s a level of accountability and team work that is fantastic. but it s not for everyone.....

i m having as much fun coaching a first time ironman athlete as a season ironman professional. because i pick athlete with the right attitude and willingness to learn.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
i dont think your level of performance should be the decision making in coach or no coach. your committement to stick to a program, willingness to learn are the element that will be critical. I have always enjoy having a coach working for me, someone i could talk to after workout, send a email, talk about the training plan etc.

it s a level of accountability and team work that is fantastic. but it s not for everyone.....

i m having as much fun coaching a first time ironman athlete as a season ironman professional. because i pick athlete with the right attitude and willingness to learn.

I think your link is broke. I get an error message on my ipad.

Quote | Reply
At minimum I would go with a tri swim specific coach. Just 1 lesson a month improved my confidence and speed in the water. DON'T select a swimming coach who doesn't tri. If they don't understand tri they will have kick focused routines and won't understand wetsuits.

Other than swim I was self-coached through 5 IM finishes, although I did a camp before #2 which helped me a lot.

If I had to do it again I probably would have gone with a coach after I failed to improve between IM #2 and #3. Numbers 3, 4, and 5(and a DNF between 2 and 3) were just going through the motions with NO improvement.

My view of coaching is do it on your own until you are stuck, but don't wait too long as eventually your age or burnout will catch up to you.

Having finished my last IM 5 years ago I have no desire to try another one. Instead I am adopting a running coach to craft a running improvement plan to get me a fast(relative) marathon.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DON'T select a swimming coach who doesn't tri. If they don't understand tri they will have kick focused routines and won't understand wetsuits.

Bull. I think jonnyo swam with a D1 womens team for a few years, his coach may or may not have done tris, but considering that the vast majority of swim coaches don't do triathlons, you are selling them a bit short, IMO.

Swimming is swimming. What you really want is someone who has his/her squad doing a range of distances, not just a sprint-based program.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mopshiv wrote:
I was 'self coached' from when I started a couple of years ago until recently. First full recently was a <10:30 with a FOP bike and GI problems on the run leading to missing the sub 10. I come from zero athletic background and have no natural abilities.

A few months ago I started with a coach and am now considering ending that again. Why? I enjoy training, I like the ability to get up in the morning and look outside and decide it looks like a great day for a long ride in the hills or a hard run session. I enjoy the brutality of a trainer session that leaves me unable to walk. I don't need someone else to motivate me to train and I don't need the feeling of failure when I miss a session because I decide breakfast with my girlfriend is more appealing.

This x100

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The issue isnt so much about swim or triathlon coach but the program. Swimming is swimming as you said. But triathlon only need to master 1 stroke. Most of them are very limited in there weekly hours in the pool. I highly advise to stick to free style and not bother with learning the other 3 unless you feel like it would be fun... Too many misconception in the world of swimming about the ''importance'' of learning all 4 stroke to be good at freestyle.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you were right! thank you for the notice! it s fix now!

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: To self coach or get a coach for MOP AG [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learning different strokes- i have been coaching my kids for swimming for a couple of years and have been primarily focused on freestyle.
I am convinced that this "freestyle only" focus has contributed to a poor "feel" for the water and slower swim times.

There is of course a return on investment argument.
Is learning good breaststroke worth the extra time?
I do not know the answer to this question.

I do see triathletes show up to the pool with kick boards, flippers, paddles, pull buoys, snorkels, drag suits (all for a 30 minute workout). And then they head into the gym to do 20-40 weight exercises (to ensure even muscle development).

6 x 100 IM s might be simpler and more effective than all this.
Quote Reply

Prev Next