Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire is gone or still good?
Quote | Reply
I noticed yesterday my front tire has this small tear. Should I replace it ASAP or you think I can continue riding like it's not there? I know safest route is to replace it (make it a trainer tire) but just wondering if these little tears are somehow normal. It's holding air-pressure OK. Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: Tire is gone or still good? [aca-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replace. You will get a flat sooner rather than later with a tire like that. Fixing flats during a ride is no fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indoor trainer tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I was young and broke....stick an empty Gu pack in there and you're good to go.

A little older with a few dollars.....replace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had this happen to a couple of GP4000S before. The sidewalls are thin and cut easily.

Both times I assembled a beefy boot (usually a large tube patch) and glued in place inside the tire and rode it out for the rest of the operational life without issue. I would definitely not ride this outdoors without getting a boot of some kind in place. Once you do, check and monitor to make sure the tube isn't trying to force its way out and the tear isn't getting any worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire is gone or still good? [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Jesse, like this one? See below. I can get creative and put something in the inner wall. Yeah I know any scratch on any tire will equal getting rid of it but I'm just checking if others have had similar experiences (like you with these Continental tires) that show evidence of still usable with some minor modifications. Physically speaking it looks like just the outer layer got scratched but tie is still good.

Thanks for the feedback all of you gentlemen

http://www.amazon.com/...62&robot_redir=1
http://
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the number one and most important bit of safety equipment on your bike. It's not worth the risk, and should be replaced immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd put a piece or 2 of electrical tape behind the hole and ride it the rest of the year. If you're concerned about it, relegate it to a trainer tire, or put it on the back. I probably wouldn't race with one this way, although I have in the past.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't see how big the bulge is, but even if it is bad and cut all the way through, you can get some heavy duty nylon thread and sew it up, then put gorilla tape on the inside of the tire.

If it is minor, just use gorilla tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire is gone or still good? [InWyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InWyo wrote:
That's the number one and most important bit of safety equipment on your bike. It's not worth the risk, and should be replaced immediately.

^^^This. At a minimum, don't use it on the front. If you're reticent about the cost of replacing it, think of it this way: How much would you be willing to pay to STAY out of a hospital visit?

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply