Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tinley Talks RIP
Quote | Reply
To respond to the many inquires I have received regarding the rumor that I will no longer be writing the back page of Triathlete Magazine, it is true.

I was informed this week that they would like "to bring my column to a close."

It's been real.

Scott Tinley
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems that there is a mass of people leaving triathlete are they going to continue the magazine or are they planning on going in a different direction?

Are you going to pick up a writing gig at one of the other magazines, or maybe on here? =]

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I'm sure many here will say, I always enjoyed reading your article. Many times, its the first thing I flip to when I pick up that magazine. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts, and for giving a unique perspective to our sport. I hope we find your writings again sometime.

All the best.

Jon
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have no insight into corporate strategy with magazine. There are still some very fine people working there and I wish them the best.
I will be writing on a more regular basis (weekly) for CBSNEWS.COM/sports and hope to land somewhere in the multisport arena as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife, who really doesn't get or like this triathlon racing sporting endeavour, tells me each month how much she enjoys reading your column.

She'll be dissappointed and so will I.

---------------------------------------------------

Brawndo's got what plants crave. Brawndo's got electrolytes. And that's what plants crave. They crave electrolytes. Which is what Brawndo has. And that's why plants crave Brawndo. Not water, like from the toilet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last reason to subscribe to Recycled Press Releases Monthly is no longer? Forsooth!

Thanks for the great articles. They'll be sorely missed. Keep ST posted on where you head next.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Your column was the only reason I read that magazine. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott - Thanks for 23 years of articles. Not sure if you remember your first one - March 1987 issue. "Why I'm a Triathlete" - (or, overcoming Little League failure).

My favorite line of yours in the article - "For some reason, this sport offers a feeling of accomplishment and self-worth that doesn't come after a set of tennis or a round of golf."

Still very true 23 years later. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have really enjoyed your column over the years. So here's an idea for the ST posse: how about a regular Tinley column on Slowtwitch???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott, what about a monthly column right here on Slowtwitch. ST = ST. I got into this sport in 85 when you were winning Kona!

Herbert....can you make it happen?
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my 18th season; 18 years X 12 months of reading Tinley first. I have often wondered why other magazines just didn't get it like Triathlete did. Having your stories in the back always got me to look at the whole mag from back to front and really read everything.

Now RIP. Bad move.

Wow.

Thanks for all the inspiration and for the memories.

Totally argee; come to Slwotwitch. We would be honored to have you.

Stindiana
www.munciemultisport.com

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST,

Sorry to hear about this.

Whenever I would get my copy of Triathlete there are three things I would check/read

- Your column
- Position of the Nineteen ad( just to check they did not put it in upside down!)
- Roch & Paul's "Ask the Coach" Column( for the jokes and the laughs)

Thanks. I really enjoyed reading your stuff.

My suggestion - you should be blogging. You have so many great stories to tell and you tell them in a wonderful way.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 1, 10 5:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second Dev's idea...

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have written, your column was the only thing I read every month in Triathlete. Went straight to the back page when I looked at the mag at the newsstand.

Did you get an offer to move the column to Inside Triathlon? That would seem to be a great fit.

ST on Slowtwitch!!!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 1, 10 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will definitely miss your column. Good luck to you in future endeavors.

Support Crew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott, sorry to hear this. I'm also a veteran of many years in the sport, and remember running with Welchie and the gang one early morning to your doorstep in an attempt to wake you up, only to have you opening the door as we arrived. Thank God I had my Tinley running shorts on that day! You have brought lots of memories, fun and passion to the sport. I always admired how you, even above many of the other stars of your day, gave back in an immense way. Appearing at races for no fee to keep it going, and other ways you lead by example. I know you are not done in this arena, so please keep us posted as to the next chapter in the saga. You are a gift to us all, and we want to keep opening that gift.
Be well, and keep us mentally stimulated by your intriguing adventures and musings.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is too bad. It was one of the very few parts of the magazine that still made it worth picking up for me. I still fondly remember those giant blow-up-tinley's at the bud light series (they were over 20 ft tall, werent they?), and still have a pair of tinley jammers with an obnoxious color pattern that I love, and my wife hates.

Good times. Thanks for those.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
First thing I ever did when I got the magazine was look at your article. I have many times even quoted what you have written to friends, this is sad indeed.
Good luck and hopefully we will see you writing elsewhere in the future..:-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Shelleytri's] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have many times even quoted what you have written to friends, this is sad indeed.

With apologies to Scott, the problem with quoting ST to many modern triathletes is that many of these folks don't have a clue who Scott Tinley is! Which is sad and unfortunate, because he is one of the true pioneers in the sport in many different ways and, in my view( and his writing really brings this out) represents the soul of the sport and why we should be doing this in the first place.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 1, 10 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tinley was nice enough to come over to an unknown little race in Roth, put up with a crowd of adoring Germans during the pre-race days, be wonderful about the whole thing - and still put on a show vs. Aschmoneit.

Never will forget the whole episode, thanks Scott.

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ST,

As you well know you are my point of origin for this sport and I want to thank you for all that guidance. My entire first year was under your direct tutelage and following that there have been the nuggets of gold that you continue to pass down over the last decade. Many of those were in your column. I'll miss that and will now have to settle on the bits of wisdom you share in line up at the R. See you there.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your column! Looking forward to reading, where ever you land. Always the first page I turned to.
Rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
To respond to the many inquires I have received regarding the rumor that I will no longer be writing the back page of Triathlete Magazine, it is true.

I was informed this week that they would like "to bring my column to a close."

It's been real.

Scott Tinley

That sucks. IT was the only part of the magazine that I actually looked forward to reading.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thats a dismal decision

a good reason for me not to resubscribe,

sincere thanks for the soulful insight and inspiration and comedy ... so many highlights for me ... quotable, thought provoking and amusing

definately one of my favorite writers

can we at least hope for a giant Tinely Talks compendium ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please let us know where you end up. Like many, I start with Tinley Talks and read the mag backwards. The dumbing down of america continues.
Quote Reply

Prev Next