Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott,
As someone who has every issue of Triathlete from the first issue in 1983, your insight will be missed. I realize that business moves on but part of what will help this sport continue to move forward to the next 30 years is honoring and respecting the athletes that took the sport to this point and allowed this group to take over the magazines as a viable enterprise.
Athletes such as Dave Scott, Mark Allen, Scott Molina, and yourself among others are the reason that races fill in hours. Your insight as a former elite athlete as well as your background as sports in our culture made our sport as much intellectual as well as physical. Thank you for your writing and look forward to seeing your writing in future multisport publications.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Stinley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scott, this is terrible. I always look forward to reading your articles! I have been wondering if it is worth keeping all the tri magazines I pay for. What really hit me is when I found 10 years of them in super heavy boxes, and have decided to get rid of them. Such a waste of resources. ST always has the best training inputs anyways.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scott

Loved TT.

Wanna write a column for our website?
We can give you equity! :)

Cheers
Uli

Quote | Reply
Scott - You should put all of your Tinley Talks articles from the past 23 years into a book. Would be a wonderful way to give athletes insight into 23 years of triathlon history, knowlegde and commentary. Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be the only reader of both triathlete and slowtwitch that thinks your writing was senseless dribble and a struggle to read.

However, I do hope you find another venue for your work as it is very popular and there are a lot of people who enjoy reading it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Tricky Dick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I must be the only reader of both triathlete and slowtwitch that thinks your writing was senseless dribble and a struggle to read. "

Even if true, it still put that column miles ahead of 90% of the rest of that mag.

Scott, sad to hear. I quit subscribing to Triathlete about a year ago because your column and Ask the Coach were about the only original material left in it. They were really the only 2 things worth reading on a regular basis. Now, they might as well just start re-releasing old issues with new covers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be the only reader of both triathlete and slowtwitch that thinks your writing was senseless dribble and a struggle to read.

As soon as I saw your name on this thread I knew you would write something like this.

Most people have discretion, it allows us to pick and choose comments but you seem not to have that. Why don't you just keep some of your opinions to yourself and leave it at that?
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

As soon as I saw your name on this thread I knew you would write something like this.

Most people have discretion, it allows us to pick and choose comments but you seem not to have that. Why don't you just keep some of your opinions to yourself and leave it at that?

Nah, it's ST dammit.

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the reasons some people may not have liked Tinley talks is becasue it goes a bit into more of the purity of the sport of triathlon and sport in general. The reason athletes gravitated to triathlon is because of the challenge to push their body to heights they thought may not be possible(ordinary people doing extraordinary things) This had nothing to do with pirchases of the latest and greatest item to make them faster but to use these items to push tehmselves. These athletes of the early day did the 100/100 challenge every day of their athletic lives. They knew what itr was like to race for no awards but who was buying pizza, and beer. They knew that it still was a matter of legs and lungs and were willing to put it on the line for the purity of sport. Well things move forward and athletes like the Tinley certainly deserved to be paid for racing because they were professional athletes in the truest sense. I am so glad that I was part of the sport during it's beginnings. racing was more friendly then. My wife and I met some of our closest friends during that time and traveled the country racing. while I enjoy racing today it is much different. Maybe Tinley is old school in his thoughts but he always remained true to himself and the sport of triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said. You nailed it.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now we have to write only agreeable things? I don't like his writing, big deal. Some people do, others don't.

But I do hope he finds another venue for it as some people really enjoy it. You must have missed reading that part of my initial post.
Last edited by: Tricky Dick: Feb 1, 10 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on Z. Where do we pre-order?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now we have to write only agreeable things? I don't like his writing, big deal. Some people do, others don't.

I have no problem with people who don't like his writing, but is it really necessary to call it senseless dribble?

That's the part where discretion comes in handy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

However, I do hope you find another venue for your work as it is very popular and there are a lot of people who enjoy reading it.

ROFL.

And this is why we should not fault you for your opinion, its not PC to pick on the intellectually disadvantaged, somebody get this guy some graham crackers and put on spongebob.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, I may not have been any help to their bottom line, as I mostly read Triathlete at the bookstore/coffee shop I frequent. I can tell you that if there was a new issue, and I was time-limited, I would quick-check the monthly contents (for the next time), and then read your column. Thanks for years of contribution to that mag.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Scot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This had nothing to do with pirchases of the latest and greatest item to make them faster but to use these items to push tehmselves.//

Dont kid yourself, we were into the latest new gadget as the next guy. And Tinley was the king of the weight weenies. He used more light shit that would break that anyone then, or since..He was obsessed with the scale his bike sat on, and the rest of us were always looking for the latest edge..Only thing back then was that the latest thing was really big usually..First wetsuit, first aero bar, shoe laces, disc wheels, aero wheels,clipless pedals, ect...These days it is all about variations and small improvements on these items, but just imagine the advent of the actual item, and being the first to get it..That was huge....

My take on this whole saga and the jumping of the ship of the old Triathlete crew is, we can say RIP Triathlete mag, you were once great, mostly ok, and now have lost touch with your sport and the worlds advancements in media...And all those that left will land on their feet, and most likely keep all our interests in whatever ventures they pursue..Good luck all and keep us in the loop here...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Now see, ST would know that what you were going for here is "senseless drivel".
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drivel, dribble........whatever. His writing, in my opinion, was horrible.

You people can continue to enjoy it all you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Golly, yer right Monty. I'd forgotton how big shoelaces were when we no longer had to tie them.

That's right, everything was so very new.

"you know, aero trumps training ;-) "
R10C 10/09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was some good shit in those stories.

I'll keep reading ...

JR

PS- Send me a signed copy of your latest book. I'll pay you later. I'm coming out there soon.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still measuring myself by the column "If You're Really a Triathlete..." from about December 1987. Do not go gently, ST. Find another place to write and let us know where that is as soon as you land.

-------------------------------------------
"The hero is someone in continual opposition to the status quo. The hero is always becoming himself." Jos� Ortega y Gasset.

"The enthusiasm (absorbing or controlling possession of the mind by any interest or pursuit) is needed before breaking the milestone and not after." Sergio Escutia, on Lukas Verzbicas' subdued reaction to breaking 4 minutes in the mile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I was like 6 when you started writing but I read everyone of your columns since the first issue of Triathlete I picked up. And wherever you're writing next I'll read that too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think you'd have trouble finding people to agree with your opinion. It's probably more an issue of stating that opinion in the context of this post.

When someone you never liked dies, do you go to the funeral and tell everyone you always thought he was a jerk?
Quote Reply
Re: Tinley Talks RIP [Boudreaux] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,
The original elite group of triathletes which you are included certainly pushed the envelope with equipment but what I meant was there is a certain chase to perfection of that time much like Pre was in track. The athletes were motivated by the competition which ultimately led to paydays but salaries and prize money was low. My point is that for a sport to grow the heroes of the past need to be honored not kicked to the curb. We are still a niche sport and need those who came first to be included if they want to be icluded in the sports future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this. Like others have said, you need a new venue! Here's hoping something works out in the tri area.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next