Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The titanium argument [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look made a titanium monocoque bicycle, at least a prototype before the UCI ban. I haven't seen a picture, but its not particularly difficult thing to do. Google Fab Foes Downhill bikes and you will see similar construction with aluminum. Basically carve the bike out of wood, and bend the aluminum sheet around the various sections then weld together.

The reason we don't see this much is that C is much more suited to these shapes, not that its impossible for Ti. Ti works great for light, comfortable, durable, custom fitted bikes.

Styrrell .

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of course it isn't impossible, it would just be awful, and cost $100k

my point is anyone saying "material X is a superior material for a bicycle" is off their damn rocker, for all materials X.

superior how? nothing else can be shaped as easily as carbon, or as light at a given stiffness

nothing can be repaired as easily as steel

nothing looks as good unpainted as Ti

and so on =)

styrrell wrote:
Look made a titanium monocoque bicycle, at least a prototype before the UCI ban. I haven't seen a picture, but its not particularly difficult thing to do. Google Fab Foes Downhill bikes and you will see similar construction with aluminum. Basically carve the bike out of wood, and bend the aluminum sheet around the various sections then weld together.

The reason we don't see this much is that C is much more suited to these shapes, not that its impossible for Ti. Ti works great for light, comfortable, durable, custom fitted bikes.

Styrrell .

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't doubt that it would cost a lot, but nowhere near 100K, and not nearly as overweight as you think. I just isn't that exotic to form and shape metal into complex shapes, even Ti. The Speed concept isn't particularly complex in shape. Given the same molds that are used for the SC, just make male versions and form the Ti sheet around them then weld it up. The weight difference wouldn't have to be any different % than a round tube Ti bike vs a round tube C bike.

I'm not entirely sure that Ti would be much more if you could sell them in the same quantities. Stamping and welding, even for Ti isn't all that expensive, and C requires molds, autoclaves, refigeratiors, pressure, etc.

There just isn't a compelling reason to gear up for Ti monocoques, but no real technical issues.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
there is some perception that it is more comfortable
tube diameters are smaller than aluminum, so more aerodynamic. usually lighter than steel frames unless the steel frame is just as expensive.

It's not a perception. Ride one and see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chinese made ti
http://www.xacd.com.cn/
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Orcaman wrote:
Ti is an amazing ride. The bike absorbs the road, yet is stiff and compliant.

What a bunch of hooey.

(proud owner of a 1995 Serotta titanium road bike)

I couldn't agree more. I spent some time riding a merlin (borrowed) and I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. It really wasn't very different from my steel road bike, or my P2C for that matter. This comparison was using the same set of wheels on all three bikes.

-------------------------------
Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away.
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Livetotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanium is absolutely my favorite material. There is no finer build and finish then on my Lynskey R320 road, Cooper cross and Pro 29. The ride of titanium is second to none. My tt bike is carbon since nothing can be shaped like carbon and when I'm time trialing I want to go fast and to do that I need proper fit and to be comfortable and aerodynamics. Nothing does this like carbon. When it comes to any other type of bike then a tt or tribike titanium is the best for me for all the reasons already posted here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
I don't doubt that it would cost a lot, but nowhere near 100K, and not nearly as overweight as you think. I just isn't that exotic to form and shape metal into complex shapes, even Ti. The Speed concept isn't particularly complex in shape. Given the same molds that are used for the SC, just make male versions and form the Ti sheet around them then weld it up. The weight difference wouldn't have to be any different % than a round tube Ti bike vs a round tube C bike.

I'm not entirely sure that Ti would be much more if you could sell them in the same quantities. Stamping and welding, even for Ti isn't all that expensive, and C requires molds, autoclaves, refigeratiors, pressure, etc.

There just isn't a compelling reason to gear up for Ti monocoques, but no real technical issues.

Styrrell

Ti is a difficult metal to work with, at least in comparison to steel and aluminum. The ductility, the ability to stretch the material, is very low and would make it difficult to bend the material in the way you are describing. That is the first issue. The second issue is that you are going to be doing lots of welding. The welds will not only affect the smooth lines for aero, but are going to be weakest points for both the ultimate strength of the frame and for fatigue. The stress riser of the welded area will necessitate using thicker material than needed if there were no welds. Also the great thing about carbon is that you can easily change the local thickness of the part easily to account for the stress in that area, so you can have the top tube be really thin in the middle and progressively get thicker near the head tube and seat tube. Sure you could possibly do this with Ti by either acid dipping the sheet, machining, or using different thicknesses of Ti sheet along the tube (but this would add even more welding). All of these methods would also mean you male mold would be more complex, also with the male how would you get the seat tube mold out after forming the Ti around it? Even if you do not weld it first, getting the mold out would be an issue with the curves. Unless you made it in a couple separate pieces and welded those together, but that would mean more welds and that is bad.

The real killer in all of this is heat treating your fabricated frame. When you weld the material, the material around the weld will lose the original temper and be much weaker. So you would need to heat treat the frame after the welding is complete to get the material back to the high strength condition. But you have these very complex tubes and I will guess that all of the tubes have different thicknesses in order to optimize the weight, but that means that they all heat up and cool down at different rates. So they expand and contract at different rates. That makes it very complicated to heat treat the frame without causing distortion of the frame.

This is just a sample of why carbon is such a great material for bicycle frames. You can just optimize the lay up for the specific loads. Look up the material properties of Ti and carbon fiber, then look at how many compromises a Ti frame requires. Do you really think it would lighter, more aero, or cheaper? Sure it would look great unpainted, but I fail to see a real advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Metals may fatigue, but carbon is continually weakened with every scratch, ding, scrape etc. As far as normal usage and frame life carbon and Ti are probably about equal.

Styrrell

Scratches, dings, scapes etc will also weaken metals. In fact due to the way cracks propagate in plastic, those are bigger issue in metals than carbon composite.

Really a well designed carbon frame, made correctly with the correct resin and other protection, will out last even a Ti frame. Now there may be a question whether bike companies are knowledgeable enough to design the frames properly, but ideally there is no reason to believe a Ti frame would out live a carbon frame.
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is more complex than whether they KNOW how to make a carbon frame properly, but whether that is what the market wants.

The market wants an 800 gram frame and they don't want to pay a lot for it.

So you are going to get frames that are delicate in crashes =)

chaparral wrote:
Now there may be a question whether bike companies are knowledgeable enough to design the frames properly, but ideally there is no reason to believe a Ti frame would out live a carbon frame.

Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
You have 3 bikes that you ride every day?? Daaaym. ;-)

I'll bet his wife doesn't get ridden that often.

(ducks)

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [jedi_tri_guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is my 1994-5 EMS fork a crash waiting to happen?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

Apparently not.

http://velonews.competitor.com/...fitting-tools_181993
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
someone earlier said that humans just toss material into a weaving machine and out comes bike parts. lexus did build a machine that can do that sort of, but I'm pretty sure no bike company has one...

Except, apparently, BMC:
http://www.cyclingtipsblog.com/...he-bmc-impec-review/
Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [dk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn!

but then they have to put the tubes in the lugs so its just like making a steel bike =)

I want to learn about the history of looms and weaving now. who know the scariest machines on earth were for SEWING

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:

Scratches, dings, scapes etc will also weaken metals. In fact due to the way cracks propagate in plastic, those are bigger issue in metals than carbon composite.

Really a well designed carbon frame, made correctly with the correct resin and other protection, will out last even a Ti frame. Now there may be a question whether bike companies are knowledgeable enough to design the frames properly, but ideally there is no reason to believe a Ti frame would out live a carbon frame.

Ideally is nice but in reality, there appear to be many reasons.

http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

The manufacturers have a long way to go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to take that risk in combination with frequent inspections to it. There is such a thing as preventative maintenance.

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm nogt suggesting any one do it, as carbon is more suitable, just that it isn't nearly as impossible as either you or Jack make it out to be. Ti can be stamped, drawn, machined, cast etc. It doesn't need heat treatment, and if made by a clamshell method, the welds wouldn't have to be very good as you would have a long weld line along a lightly stressed axis. One reason people familiar with bicycles think of Ti as difficult is because most Ti bikes have been made by people in a garage with relatively simple tools, or small factories.

Stems, Handlebars, rims, aero tubes, doublebutted tubes, spokes, cogs , chainrings, cranks, entire saddles, etc. All have been made out of ti The properties of Al are probably more difficult, which is why Al isn't used by very many custom builders.

At its simplest you could start with a simple round tube ti frame and simply weld very thin, not structural ti foil to the tubes to make a copy of a Trek SC. Likely wouldn't weigh much more than a pound more cost much more (a Motobecane Ti frame is about $1000)

That would be a silly way to do it, but no more silly than how some wheel maufacturers use carbon to make aero wheels.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't welding Ti have to be done in an oxygen free environment. I have alway heard that oxygen weakens the weld. Not impossible by any means, just increased fabrication cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well if you think you can create speed concept level shaping out of Ti I think you should go ahead and do it. The latest blade was maybe halfway there and turned out to be too expensive,difficult for litespeed to handle.

styrrell wrote:
I'm nogt suggesting any one do it, as carbon is more suitable, just that it isn't nearly as impossible as either you or Jack make it out to be. Ti can be stamped, drawn, machined, cast etc. It doesn't need heat treatment, and if made by a clamshell method, the welds wouldn't have to be very good as you would have a long weld line along a lightly stressed axis. One reason people familiar with bicycles think of Ti as difficult is because most Ti bikes have been made by people in a garage with relatively simple tools, or small factories.

Stems, Handlebars, rims, aero tubes, doublebutted tubes, spokes, cogs , chainrings, cranks, entire saddles, etc. All have been made out of ti The properties of Al are probably more difficult, which is why Al isn't used by very many custom builders.

At its simplest you could start with a simple round tube ti frame and simply weld very thin, not structural ti foil to the tubes to make a copy of a Trek SC. Likely wouldn't weigh much more than a pound more cost much more (a Motobecane Ti frame is about $1000)

That would be a silly way to do it, but no more silly than how some wheel maufacturers use carbon to make aero wheels.

Styrrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well there's a good arguement for debating the mechanical properties of a material.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well we had : "its too hard"
and then we had :"no it isnt"
so I countered with "litespeed tried really hard and gave up"

=)

styrrell wrote:
Well there's a good arguement for debating the mechanical properties of a material.

Styrrell

Quote Reply
Re: The titanium argument [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes but many people can deal with that in a garage. It really comes down to availability of manufacturing capability. When carbon and Ti bikes were both predominately tubes connected to one another, Ti was very competitive with carbon in almost every way.

Once more complex shapes became the norm Carbon started to take off, mainly because prototypes were fairly easy to make, and large factories already existed to outsource maufacturing too. The vast amount or aero C bikes are made in a handful of factories. Only a few companies can afford the massive capitol costs needed make a top end aero carbon frame.

Its just not that Ti is difficult and C is easy, just that Ti is difficult and C is difficult, but a lot of the work with C is already done.

Compare the Ti Blade to a Parlee aero bike. Neither are particularly more aero or cheaper. Where the cost savings with C come in is having a factory already to go to make the frame for you.

Styrrell

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I want to learn about the history of looms and weaving now. who know the scariest machines on earth were for SEWING

scariest? how about awesomest! check this loom out; video quality isn't the best but damn: eat your heart out lexus. http://www.youtube.com/...&feature=related what i want to know is how they create the shape? looks like they weave around a mold; opposite the standard carbon production which is to lay up sheets inside of a mold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I am not saying it is impossible, just very difficult and of no purpose. Why would you? Sure you could not heat treat, but you would lose lots of strength.

I can not think why you would think Aluminum is harder to work with than Ti. Aluminum is much easier to machine and weld than Ti. Aluminum is easier to bend and and Ti has galling issues also. It is probably more due to it being silly for custom builders to compete with the big companies Aluminum frames.

First, I think you would be surprised that 1 pound is pretty optimistic. I would guess more. Why even use Ti foil? Why not use carbon fiber, it would be lighter and easier to do. Then why not make this aero part structural, since it is already there and has a larger cross section than the tubes inside also then it is no longer a fairing (so you could race it). Then, why would you even need the interior tubes, just have all the load go through the outside.

You need to understand that burnt string and glue is the best current material for most bicycles. Sure Ti makes sense for a small custom builder making simple round tube bikes.
Quote Reply

Prev Next