Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [CreativeInkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The PTO is sorta a 2 way street. Athletes have to be good enough to be in position to receive the PTO "contracted athlete" status (I don't believe he's in the position to get initial auto contract with his current ranking), and imo it has to work for both parties. LS is MOP ability at that distance *currently*. So what is the justification from PTO to bring LS into a full time status when he's likely going to be MOP at best? Can you market his personality if you aren't at the front of the events?

At the end of the day- LS is a professional athlete. This is his job/career- so he's got to make decisions that feed himself and his family. If the PTO contract is only essentially travel funds + some spending money, what is the value to LS when he's racing for what $5k prize money for 10th place? So think of PTO more as a ITU 2.0 style of professional racing (there is a reason he never went ITU ever) and the 70.3/IM the other side of the spectrum. Yes 70.3/PTO are more similiar in distancces but I'm talking about depth/ability that allows you more chances at 70.3/IM than PTO.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jan 12, 24 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [CreativeInkling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CreativeInkling wrote:
One of the positive things I have found about LS is his no limits approach and open willingness to take on the best.

He often states what drives him is racing the best.

But his turning his back on the PTO is the exact opposite of that.

He also bailed on 2021 St George 70.3 worlds the year Iden won and Sam Long took 2nd. He flat out said he didn't feel he had the speed to compete with those guys. And Sam ran his way into 2nd on a course that Sanders has done very well on before. I imagine he was kicking himself after that. Point being is he's obviously been strategic at times with the races he picks and chooses. Usually when he gets strategic, it seems to boomarang on him -- ie, not racing 70.3 worlds 2021 then betting the season on 70.3 worlds 2023 only to get that crazy call. Whatever the pundits say, at least from Sanders he felt like he would have been able to do something special had it not happened. Anyway, he would have made it an exciting race with the front pack running for their lives from him.

I just hope to see him put together a consistent solid schedule of Ironman racing with the necessary 70.3s in there and see where a consistent and focused season of work puts him. Maybe fit a US PTO race in if it's not at all disruptive to the schedule. If his bike does come back to what it once was, hes going to feature in any Ironman race. If it doesn't.... then he wont feature in any of the PTO races thats for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On Talking Triathlon today Tim Ford said Lionel turned down his PTO spot. He didn't know whether it was for the full tour or just a couple of wild cards for the US races, but he said no either way.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lagoon wrote:
On Talking Triathlon today Tim Ford said Lionel turned down his PTO spot. He didn't know whether it was for the full tour or just a couple of wild cards for the US races, but he said no either way.

Awesome! And I'm back on the Sanders fanwagon like that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CreativeInkling wrote:

Otoh 2024 might be his best ever chance of landing a big IM title. Most of the top athletes will be occupied with the PTO. He'll have far fewer contenders to race against.

Sadly, I think that's why he's chosen this path for 2024.
This is where I lie in the assessment of Lionel's 2024. We don't really know for sure who is confirmed in which series but IF the PTO series goes ahead and IF the top 20 ranked are contracted to that series then the Ironman series will be a watered down affair,especially in the USA,allowing Lionel to get some relatively soft wins.Can't see him winning any World Championship races but he will make some decent money which is a sensible goal for any Pro triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CreativeInkling wrote:
One of the positive things I have found about LS is his no limits approach and open willingness to take on the best.

Last September he was all in on middle distance.
Then he finds out the PTO are making this series with the top athletes and now he's all in on ironman.
This is avoiding racing the best and it's a shame.
Otoh 2024 might be his best ever chance of landing a big IM title. Most of the top athletes will be occupied with the PTO. He'll have far fewer contenders to race against.
It's the opposite of "no limits".
The women will be even worse - from what I understand the top 16 are all racing the PTO series. Ironman face massive dilution of standard.

Well, if LS truly believes he has "no limits", then why is he not swimming 15:0X for 1500 LCM and leading the swim from the start??? Why is he not a star at all distances???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CreativeInkling wrote:

Last September he was all in on middle distance.

Then he finds out the PTO are making this series with the top athletes and now he's all in on ironman.

This is avoiding racing the best and it's a shame.

It's the opposite of "no limits".

The women will be even worse - from what I understand the top 16 are all racing the PTO series. Ironman face massive dilution of standard.

How so? Moritz Events doesn't have their things together and athletes will choose. Why you do think Moritz Events will get all of the best? It's January 12th and they haven't announced any of their races that weren't previously announced. (Ibiza and Singapore?) They also haven't announced a single contracted athlete. We have heard a few people who've said they've been offered a contract and Sam Long saying he's going "all in" on the Moritz promotion. Yet...there is not schedule for the Moritz events.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New video

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOLOL I love this guy. Looking forward to jumping on the trainer and firing this one up in a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing to see here............just Lionel being Lionel! LOL!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Expected!

Do we know about his schedule yet?
I assume oceanside and texas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally following the Joe Skipper schedule to match his strengths.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WhittleFit wrote:
Nothing to see here............just Lionel being Lionel! LOL!

I love Lionel, but god damn that guy sticks to a plan like water on teflon!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
New video

I couldn't help but smile when he said the v02 max session was easy so he started skipping the 90s rest. And then said afterwards he had a hard swim tomorrow so he didn't want to over do it. Unless I missed something there....uh, didn't you just run the risk of doing that? Please please please Lionel don't be a training super star that leaves it all on the trainer and shows up to the race feeling fit, but exhausted halfway in from months of digging. Save the "dig deep" days for the race, and don't put yourself into the race of digging deep to crush training days. I hope he can just trust the process of letting the fitness build up and the race will unfold however it does and that's where he can start digging deep.

Anyway, I'm glad to see he's made the correct decision :)

Great shots across the years Talbot!
Last edited by: Lurker4: Jan 15, 24 11:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess he didn't get the contract he wanted from PTO.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will say - he's a homebody and doesn't really love to travel so I wonder how much that also has a lot to do with it, especially with a little one at home.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't there a small matter of qualifying first?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

Not sure how he got a contract when he is ranked 30+? Unless it rolled down to him which will be a shocker!!!! So many saying NO
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
I hope he can just trust the process

he cannot

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTF has happened to his hair??? Calling 1980 - come in 1980...........

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Not sure how he got a contract when he is ranked 30+? Unless it rolled down to him which will be a shocker!!!! So many saying NO

seriously though, i suspect the PTO would want to offer him something - maybe even just appearance money for their north american races. regardless of how you feel about the guy he's a big media draw and he brings eyeballs!

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
asianzone wrote:
desert dude wrote:

seriously though, i suspect the PTO would want to offer him something - maybe even just appearance money for their north american races. regardless of how you feel about the guy he's a big media draw and he brings eyeballs!

I would have just given him a wild card. It’s only two races, pointless having a contract
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [asianzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asianzone wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Mark explained it in the other thread : "4 more who could be of any rank that would add value to the series"
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
asianzone wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Mark explained it in the other thread : "4 more who could be of any rank that would add value to the series"

So top 16 + 4 more of any rank that would add value gets a contract? So no wild cards?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official, All Encompassing, Lionel Sanders Thread [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
WTF has happened to his hair??? Calling 1980 - come in 1980...........

you clearly weren't a swimmer in high school. Chlorine-burned hair is all the rage.
Quote Reply

Prev Next