Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not envy any of the team's directors tomorrow. They will have one million things coming at them every moment. What sort of plan do you go in to tomorrow with? The safe plan would be just do no lose time to the other GC rivals, but how do you even plan to do that? You can not just say stick by Contador or Froome. As trite as it is to say, there will be a lot to gain with risk, but also a lot to lose. Not to mention watching and reacting to what the other teams do. It is also a very different race than Roubaix, even for those going for the win, since many teams and very strong riders are looking at GC instead.

I think it will be interesting to see who goes into the break tomorrow. If GC teams put some people in the break, that could either result in calm race or total chaos.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [flyrunride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyrunride wrote:
I'm hoping some of the GC guys actually attack. They'll know Froome will put time on them in the ITT and possibly the mountains so if they have the guts and the skill I hope some try to put time on the others who wants to play it safe. FC or Sep VM for the win and maybe Sagan/GVA for the Yellow.

Absolutely. This is their chance to hurt Froome. This stage is a potential gift for Contador who has shown that he can ride cobbles (he just typically doesn't want to). After tomorrow he may be a few minutes out of yellow, but as long as Nibali and Froome are further behind he should be happy.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Doubletime: Jul 8, 14 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
No doubt about that, today was probably the worst possible time for Froome to go down. Will be really interesting to see if he can get through tomorrow, and if the GC teams even contribute to making the stage as hard as possible.

Froome out with broken collarbone tomorrow. Boom!
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
flyrunride wrote:
I'm hoping some of the GC guys actually attack. They'll know Froome will put time on them in the ITT and possibly the mountains so if they have the guts and the skill I hope some try to put time on the others who wants to play it safe. FC or Sep VM for the win and maybe Sagan/GVA for the Yellow.

Absolutely. This is their chance to hurt Froome. This stage is a potential gift for Contador. After tomorrow he may be a few minutes out of yellow, but as long as Nibali and Froome are further behind he should be happy.

The thing is that Contador may not feel the need to put much time into Froome, so should he make a big risk and attack? He probably has the most to lose right now. Not to mention that Saxo will probably be the #1 team being watched by GC teams, so will be under a microscope and any attack will probably be marked. Unless alot of other GC team's moves have failed, then I think Saxo would strike.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
No doubt about that, today was probably the worst possible time for Froome to go down. Will be really interesting to see if he can get through tomorrow, and if the GC teams even contribute to making the stage as hard as possible.

Really or are you just kidding around? I just read on the BBC that he's OK and going to race.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...t/0/cycling/28219348

A little banged up but he spent 20 minutes staring into a 'healing' stem and everything is healed up.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Last edited by: Doubletime: Jul 8, 14 14:02
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, an attack by Saxo would be marked. But, given the inevitable crashes and punctures, it's better to be at the pointy end. Contador has shown that he is fearless, sometimes bordering on reckless. It would be out of character for him to just play defense tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Any of the contenders could crash and end their Tour tomorrow, especially if they get overly ambitious and try to play with the big boys.

If the Wiggo decision kept Brailsford awake last week, today he's lamenting wtf he was thinking listening to Froome on team selection.

Also factor in the fact that they don't have Boasson Hagen to help steer Froome through the cobbles......not many have talked about it, but his presence will be sorely missed tomorrow, I think.

Wiggo must be chuckling to himself tonight....cold comfort, though, sitting at home.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a bigger group will come together than expected (or I'm just playing devils advocate). I think Degenkolb or Kristoff for the win!

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist / Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Froome tweeted @ 14:09hr today, https://twitter.com/...s/486618116156588033
Sounds like he's riding

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure, Eddy Boss would have been a good hand for tomorrow and all these chaotic stages. And of course, Wiggo too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Really or are you just kidding around? I just read on the BBC that he's OK and going to race.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/...t/0/cycling/28219348

A little banged up but he spent 20 minutes staring into a 'healing' stem and everything is healed up.

No, I'm saying he's going to hit the deck on the cobbles tomorrow. Bye bye Froome.

Sagan in yellow. This is not P-R... Cancellara will not get away, stage is only 155km.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FC stirring the pot- I like it https://twitter.com/...s/486617366504411137

@thejessemoore is Talansky's coach and has thrown a few nuggets from what his power files depict
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
FC stirring the pot- I like it https://twitter.com/...s/486617366504411137

@thejessemoore is Talansky's coach and has thrown a few nuggets from what his power files depict

That is awesome....definitely some guys not sleeping well tonight!!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a team mechanic get fired tonight? Check closely in the secondary crash with Froome. The guy's handlebars look to have come off before he swerves right into the Cofidis guys. Then when the bike is on the ground it is clear it has no front wheel or bars on it. Also no wheel when it is carried off the road. That happened pre-crash.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going with Boom tomorrow, simply because Sherwen will mention that he is a former CX world champion and suited for wet cobbles at least 37 times.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Really excited for tomorrow! Maybe Tony Martin could be a darkhorse. He has the power but hasn't been interested in the cobbles in the past.

I don't see him on the podium, but I do see him punishing people early on and maybe in a break group on behalf of Terpstra et al. OPQ is good at this kind of parcourse.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And! Garmin has cards to play today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 sections of pavé removed due to the weather. Shame really.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...o-weather-conditions

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
For sure, Eddy Boss would have been a good hand for tomorrow and all these chaotic stages. And of course, Wiggo too.

Bernie Eisel is pretty well accustomed to protecting leaders. And Geraint Thomas has a good pedigree on cobbles - top 10 finishes at both Paris-Roubaix and Tour of Flanders this year. So they've got reasonable coverage in that department, and Froome himself is a decent bike handler and tough enough to cope with the cobbles, though obviously he's going to be hurting after that fall.

I really don't think they'll be missing Wiggo at all - much better to get all the media attention about the Wiggins-Froome relationship out the way a month ago than to have it going on during the race. I don't know how much of an asset Wiggo would be today - he had a decent Paris-Roubaix result this year, but struggled badly in the Giro last year when it got wet. That was descending not cobbles, but he had several falls which I don't think were anybody's fault but his and looked to have no confidence on the wet roads at all.

Any team would miss a rider of Eddy's all-round qualities, but I think the scenario they would miss him most is the one in which Froome crashes out and they're left trying to salvage something from the Tour. I really can't see Porte having the consistency to do much better than a top 10 finish, and they don't have any obvious stage winners in the team unless somebody like Thomas gets lucky and gets in a break.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [WILLEATFORFOOD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WILLEATFORFOOD wrote:
Maybe cobble can correct me here, but doesn't Sep have team obligations as well? It would surprise me if he left Mollema unprotected to go chase down FC.
Sep can race for the win today but he'll kind of have to do it on his own, as guys like Wynants need to stay with Mollema.

Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I think you're right about BMC: they have GvA, Schar and Burghardt at the ready to make a move with Tejay. Arguably the best GC group for tomorrow
Well I may be biased but I would put my money on Lars Boom, Maarten Wynants, and the rest of Belkin riding for Mollema. Half of Team Belkin in the Tour is also their squad for Paris - Roubaix.

Quote | Reply
chrica04 wrote:
I think a bigger group will come together than expected (or I'm just playing devils advocate). I think Degenkolb or Kristoff for the win!
Unfortunately, I'm afraid you will be right. I'm also thinking about Degenkolb as maybe THE biggest favorite today.

Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
I'm going with Boom tomorrow, simply because Sherwen will mention that he is a former CX world champion and suited for wet cobbles at least 37 times.
I don't think Boom will get a chance to race for himself, expect he may need to stay with Ten Dam tomorrow.

Quote | Reply
Boonen is home, scratching at the door to be let out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Froome out. Crazy
Quote Reply

Prev Next