Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [OldFart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was quite a disappointing stage today - as in the loss of another GC candidate winner. With Froome and Contador out, and Nibali not having any serious contenders, it seems the race may be decided much earlier on for the GC than hoped.

I guess that is good news on the other hand for guys trying to get a stage win via an early breakaway - as long as nobody within 6-7 minutes from Nibali goes in the break there won't be much need to chase them.

Quote | Reply

Looks broken.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Looks broken.

That was his extra bike and it fell off the team car.

I put this link in an earlier post, but here it is again. It shows his bike right after the crash.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...-as-it-happened.html
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. The bike in that photo has number plate ends in 7. Not AC's bike.

The photo I posted has a number plate (and thus his primary bike) that ends in 1 for the team leader- AC.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is his bike after the crash? If you're referring to the McLaren, that's Roche's. The number on the bike is 37, Contador's is 31.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought spare bikes normally do not have numbers on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

The photo I posted has a number plate (and thus his primary bike) that ends in 1 for the team leader- AC.

Maybe I posted the wrong link both times, but they said on the broadcast that the crash was caused by hitting something in the road and wasn't caused by a broken bike. And the cracked frame that you posted was caused when the bike fell off the car. I am just going off what they said on the broadcast and stuff I saw on Twitter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
jmh wrote:

Maybe I posted the wrong link both times, but they said on the broadcast that the crash was caused by hitting something in the road and wasn't caused by a broken bike. And the cracked frame that you posted was caused when the bike fell off the car. I am just going off what they said on the broadcast and stuff I saw on Twitter.

I believe contador crashed on his own #31 bike by hitting a pot hole, then roche lent him his McLaren as he tried to continue to ride on. He then stopped for the medical team to help bandage his knee which is the picture you see with the McLaren on the side of the road. That's my latest understanding.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
I thought spare bikes normally do not have numbers on them.
They normally do not though i seem to recall seeing a video a few days ago that clearly showed spare bikes with team numbers on them as well.

Quote | Reply
I still don't see how a bike could break like that if it just fell off of the car. Something had to have landed on it (like a person) or it got run over, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
trimick wrote:
jmh wrote:

I believe contador crashed on his own #31 bike by hitting a pot hole, then roche lent him his McLaren as he tried to continue to ride on. He then stopped for the medical team to help bandage his knee which is the picture you see with the McLaren on the side of the road. That's my latest understanding.

That makes sense. So is the bike that jmh posted the bike he was riding when he crashed or was it the one that fell off the car like they said on the broadcast?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mile2424 wrote:
trimick wrote:
jmh wrote:

Sounds quite possible, i read Jurgen Van den Broeck said he rode right next to Contador when Contador was riding like an idiot in a decent, and hit a hole in the road which caused him to crash.

Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
mile2424 wrote:
trimick wrote:
jmh wrote:

That makes sense. So is the bike that jmh posted the bike he was riding when he crashed or was it the one that fell off the car like they said on the broadcast?

I am not sure. I highly doubt a bike would do that just by falling off the team car. I think either the bike just failed when it hit the pot hole, or it at least fractured when it hit the pot hole, and then if and when it fell off the team car, that's when it broke in half.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh the drama of real time...

That makes way more sense that he hit a pothole, odd that no one else managed to hit it in the peloton.

was a huge WTF moment that the bike would just totally fail. Guess as more info comes in we find out the real story.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Cobble wrote:
I know i must not be the only one, but seeing Tony Martin doing all the work in the front again smells a little fishy.

shall we bring back this goodie? especially pertinent given that the rider given a score of "9" just got popped

The sad part is I see popped riders on that list with 1s and 0s too.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [ATLTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and then there is VN's version:

Quote:
How those failures occurred, though, is not entirely clear.
Specialized, Tinkoff-Saxo’s bike sponsor, initially denied reports that Contador’s bike had broken at all, either resulting in or as a result of the crash, or via some other externality. The company first stated that a bike had fallen off the roof of a car. That story was then amended — it still involved a car, but instead stated that Nicolas Roche’s bike had been run over earlier in the stage. This broken bike was the start of the rumors, it said.
“We have spoken to Alberto’s brother as well as his personal mechanic (Faustino Muńoz) and the mechanic who was at the scene (Rune Kristensen), and contrary to some early, unconfirmed reports, frame failure was not involved in Alberto’s incident today. Nicolas Roche was involved in a separate incident today and while his bike was laying on the road it was run over by a car causing it to break, potentially giving rise to the initial inaccurate reporting,” the original statement read.
But the photos do not lie. Contador is #31, and his race number is on the broken frame. The Roche incident relayed in this statement may be entirely factual, but it is clear that Contador’s bike broke as well.
Specialized later corrected itself again, stating that Contador’s bike that had been run over as well. A source within the team who was present at the scene of the crash explained that Contador’s mechanic, Faustino Munoz, grabbed his backup bike off the roof, then, seeing the condition of Contador, rushed to his aid, leaving the bike against the team car. The team car drove off and crushed the bike. Photos were taken, and the broken bike story took off.
The alternative potential explanation, of course, is that Contador’s bike broke on impact with a large pothole.
Contador crashed when he hit a hole in the road, according to representatives from his Tinkoff-Saxo team and riders who were nearby.
Movistar’s Alejandro Valverde said he saw Contador’s bars slip, which caused him to crash. “I saw him [Contador] crash right in front of me. His handlebars slipped when he hit a pothole,” Valverde told Spanish radio. “I realized at the feed zone that he abandoned.”
A direct impact with a large pothole could cause a compression fracture in his frame at the aforementioned points, though it is unlikely. His fork or head tube would likely fail first. These frames are not designed to hit solid objects (and the back side of a pothole is a solid object) at 40 miles per hour; most top-level, lightweight frames would likely fracture under such stress.
The likelihood of Contador’s frame breaking before the crash, causing his crash, is close to zero. Munoz is one of the best mechanics in the world; Contador’s bikes are pampered, and Specialized has, historically, designed reliable carbon fiber frames.
The timeline from the crash onwards is now clear.
Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/...#vtUifKfrrX34z10s.99

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who other than former U.S. postal guys?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today Nibali showed the dominance he had at last year's Giro. Unless he crashes, this one's over. //

And how did that give the yellow to some other team so they can do all the grunt chasing work out for ya?? His team was front and center even though he gave up the yellow yesterday, and i think i could feel him saying WTF and just get it back since we have to do the work to protect it or his place either way. I agree at this point it is his to lose, no one showing they can climb with him except of course the guy that just quit the tour.

You know who has really stepped up is Porte. Guy hired to be second banana and now kicking all the other captains asses. If one assumes that each team had a top GC guy, then he is doing about 15 places better than he should be, and not counting all the other LT's on the other teams too..I like his chances for a podium..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the bike that broke in the original crash was actually folded up and put in the trunk of the car.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [gotriit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And then there is this version.

Without a Zapruder film I guess we will never know.

Quote:
According to the company’s team liaison Giampaolo Mondini, the rider fell on a straight road when he was descending at speed. “He was trying to take some bars from his pocket, the tarmac was irregular and he lost the control of his bike and fell,” he told CyclingTips.
“What happened next is that the team car tried to get recover position and get up to him, passing all the other team cars in doing so. The road was really narrow and the second bike on the roof ended up touching those on the Belkin team car. It was going pretty fast and the frame broke on top of the roof due to the impact.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is also better in a TT than most of the other GC guys.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
Who other than former U.S. postal guys?

Lots of formal Postals scattered through the results (on new teams).

F. Schleck, O'Grady are both in a 2/10

Basso and Clioek are at 3/10

Interesting that Tony Martin rated a 7/10 at the time.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Today Nibali showed the dominance he had at last year's Giro. Unless he crashes, this one's over. //

And how did that give the yellow to some other team so they can do all the grunt chasing work out for ya?? His team was front and center even though he gave up the yellow yesterday, and i think i could feel him saying WTF and just get it back since we have to do the work to protect it or his place either way. I agree at this point it is his to lose, no one showing they can climb with him except of course the guy that just quit the tour.

You know who has really stepped up is Porte. Guy hired to be second banana and now kicking all the other captains asses. If one assumes that each team had a top GC guy, then he is doing about 15 places better than he should be, and not counting all the other LT's on the other teams too..I like his chances for a podium..

I wouldn't say the tour is over barring a crash. There's still lots of stages left and Nibali isn't invincible. Just ask some 41 year old guy from last year's Vuelta. While I agree Nibali is a huge favorite right now, Porte can probably pull back 30+ seconds on the TT and you just never know what can happen in the crosswinds. A la stage 13 last year when Froome got gapped and lost a minute and Valverde's GC hopes ended because of an untimely flat.

Astana could have got away with giving up the jersey if Kwiatkowski wasn't in the break. Lotto wasn't going to chase him down, but if the break didn't have any GC threats, then it's possible they could have let the break go, Nibali attacks the last climb but not enough win the stage or regain the yellow...then Lotto is responsible for going to the front on stages 11 and 12.
Quote Reply

Prev Next