Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
To the OP:

I've checked out swimming forums, quite a few of them, on the exact premise you propose, in that "the best swimmers should be on swimming forums, so you'll get the best advice there."

The reality though:

- Most swimming forums are almost entirely frequented by competitive swimmers. Meaning that these folks have been RACING swimming for years, if not since childhood, and very seriously as a single sport. This almost always means as well that these same folks are (very) naturally gifted at swimming or else they'd have quit long ago, even if they're not just 'joe-average' on their competitive swim team.

- When you ask a group of very gifted athletes for advice on basics, you often get the WORST advice, despite these gifted folks meaning well.

They'll say stuff like "if you're not swimming sub 1:20/100m for distance, it's all a technique problem for you, forget about effort, fix your technique', which is a load of crap for the non-gifted triathlete swimmer. They'll also attribute almost all their swim speed to "I worked so hard, which is the ONLY reason I'm so great at swimming", and/or "I refined my technique so will, which is the ONLY reason I swim 1:00/100 and you swim 1:45/100" - both of which are patently false.

The MAIN reason they're fast (like collegiate fast), first and foremost is their genetic advantage. After that, sure, hard work and technique count, but those factors will never make a average AG triathlete a D1 swimmer, no matter how hard they try. These gifted swimmers would have been FFOP triathlon swimmers with zero coaching, minimal training, even without their swim background, once they started training, thanks to their natural gifts, which they will NEVER acknowledge. Even D1 swimmers here routinely say they have no swim talent.

If you want to see this in force in running, just go to letsrun.com and watch the advice of these gifted 15-16 min 5k runners to 24+ min 5k runners - they'll say "I run 15 min 5ks on <20mpw, so at the LEAST, you should be able to run a 17-18 on <20mpw - you're just training all wrong or too wimpy to push it hard enough." Yeah, right.

- I actually am pretty sure that in terms of swimming forums, unless you're a gifted (collegiate swimmers are gifted in my book!) swimmer, triathlon swim forums give your best bet for getting practical advice for a real joe-average ability swimmer trying to improve.

Really good post. The exact same thing that swimmers would tell me to do, I'd flip it around and tell them that if they can't jog a sub 5 min mile as a warmup, then they have not put the work in. I was born as a runner (although pretty useless now, sometimes 40ish years of competitive running is the end of the road)...some are born swimmers. They can get their body shape into that of a speedboat that some will never be able to hold due to bone geometry, joint flex etc etc etc.....and then some are born with massive engines but will claim it is all hard work. No most people "relatively" suck because their engines are small and their bodies are built wrong for the sport.....now let's try to get Hicham El Gerrouj to crank off a sub 4 min 400m free.....he's a 3:26 1500m guy who has the engine, but I bet you he can't contort his body to swim fast....likewise I suspect it woudl be comical to get Ian Thorpe to run the 1500m on the track...probably can't break 6 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [Cyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As a former DI distance swimmer, swimming has done a ton for me

Slowtwitch is where you give back bro ;-)

And, I was a D1 distance swimmer too! Tip on that though - there are tons of us former D1 swimmers out there and a fair number here. "As a former D1 swimmer", is kind of like starting a conversation with "I played AA ball with the Erie SeaWolfs . . . ." Mildly interesting and you obviously have some level of talent. But the rest of the story better move quickly to a bar and some girls if you want to hold our interest.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lightheir wrote:
To the OP:

I've checked out swimming forums, quite a few of them, on the exact premise you propose, in that "the best swimmers should be on swimming forums, so you'll get the best advice there."

The reality though:

- Most swimming forums are almost entirely frequented by competitive swimmers. Meaning that these folks have been RACING swimming for years, if not since childhood, and very seriously as a single sport. This almost always means as well that these same folks are (very) naturally gifted at swimming or else they'd have quit long ago, even if they're not just 'joe-average' on their competitive swim team.

Really good post. The exact same thing that swimmers would tell me to do, I'd flip it around and tell them that if they can't jog a sub 5 min mile as a warmup, then they have not put the work in. I was born as a runner (although pretty useless now, sometimes 40ish years of competitive running is the end of the road)...some are born swimmers. They can get their body shape into that of a speedboat that some will never be able to hold due to bone geometry, joint flex etc etc etc.....and then some are born with massive engines but will claim it is all hard work. No most people "relatively" suck because their engines are small and their bodies are built wrong for the sport.....now let's try to get Hicham El Gerrouj to crank off a sub 4 min 400m free.....he's a 3:26 1500m guy who has the engine, but I bet you he can't contort his body to swim fast....likewise I suspect it woudl be comical to get Ian Thorpe to run the 1500m on the track...probably can't break 6 minutes.

I'll third that. Ican understand the OP for sure. And I've tried - bounced around on swim forums & they are not very active to begin with and #2 just don't have the multisport- bent or audience of the group here on ST. I will agree that it can be borderline "swim bully-ish" here at times (imo) and I've certainly been a target of it.

It is completely true that swimmers lack the lower body training to run well. And that runners would typically not have the posture and shoulders etc. to swim super fast. It's pretty cool to be working on all three events though. I like the variety!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I ask about flip turns on the swim forums nobody would get all riled up like the die-hard open turn folks here...

It's easy to make excuses, but excuses don't make champions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't this forum actually be more appropriate for triathletes who are looking to improve swimming as it relates to triathlon? Workouts, technique, and the way you approach a race for triathlon is far different than how you would do the same for a swim meet (or even OW swimming for that matter). If you want to improve your Breastroke then sure, a swim forum would be better. But if you're looking to quicken your swim leg while balancing training in the other 2 disciplines, then clearly this forum would be better.

Also, I'm a swimmer turned triathlete and very much enjoy the discussion of swim trials here (as well as discussion of cycling and running events). If we compete in all 3 then we should get to admire the athletes in all 3.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [swimswam1003] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimswam1003 wrote:
Workouts, technique, and the way you approach a race for triathlon is far different than how you would do the same for a swim meet (or even OW swimming for that matter).

Far different? Hmm. I would dispute that to a degree.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sscott43 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DesertFox wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
The trick to disguising a backdoor brag is not to put it in your first sentence. But I do give you credit, I think this is the first time I have seen the cover up for a backdoor brag to be, "I am going to act like a self-righteous turd."

okay, seriously, you've posted here just a few times what's your story.

It's not a backdoor brag. It was more of a "holy than thow, I have a right to speak on the matter". I didn't post any times or anything like that. I certainly don't mind bragging, but didn't feel it appropriate in the context of the post. I totally agree there should be a substantial smattering of swimming stuff in a triathlon forum, duh! But post after post of trials related mumble jumble, cmon. Thats for swim swam and the other forums. I don't want to have to dig and dig for stuff about triathlon. Basically missed the info yesterday about the Oceanside change b/c the swimming garbage.

Wait, are you doubling down on the self-righteous turd act again to cover up the backdoor brag? It didn't work the first time, playing it again is just, no offense, a little obvious.

Careful, you keep using the self-righteous turd card and we might actually think you are one....

Let this be a less to everyone: if you post something stupid but someone is kind enough to give you a door out...TAKE IT.

PS: you leave the thread and change you handle NEXT week.

Or maybe he just realized that it was not the best idea to use a handle that was a common nickname of a Nazi general. (I suppose, to give him the benefit of the doubt, that it is possible that his particular D1 school didn't offer coursework on European history in the twentieth century.)

Whilst Rommel was a german, he was not a Nazi. He actually tried to overthrow Hitler.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lightheir wrote:
To the OP:

The reality though:

- When you ask a group of very gifted athletes for advice on basics, you often get the WORST advice, despite these gifted folks meaning well.

They'll say stuff like "if you're not swimming sub 1:20/100m for distance, it's all a technique problem for you, forget about effort, fix your technique', which is a load of crap for the non-gifted triathlete swimmer. They'll also attribute almost all their swim speed to "I worked so hard, which is the ONLY reason I'm so great at swimming", and/or "I refined my technique so will, which is the ONLY reason I swim 1:00/100 and you swim 1:45/100" - both of which are patently false.

The MAIN reason they're fast (like collegiate fast), first and foremost is their genetic advantage. After that, sure, hard work and technique count, but those factors will never make a average AG triathlete a D1 swimmer, no matter how hard they try. These gifted swimmers would have been FFOP triathlon swimmers with zero coaching, minimal training, even without their swim background, once they started training, thanks to their natural gifts, which they will NEVER acknowledge. Even D1 swimmers here routinely say they have no swim talent.

If you want to see this in force in running, just go to letsrun.com and watch the advice of these gifted 15-16 min 5k runners to 24+ min 5k runners - they'll say "I run 15 min 5ks on <20mpw, so at the LEAST, you should be able to run a 17-18 on <20mpw - you're just training all wrong or too wimpy to push it hard enough." Yeah, right.

- I actually am pretty sure that in terms of swimming forums, unless you're a gifted (collegiate swimmers are gifted in my book!) swimmer, triathlon swim forums give your best bet for getting practical advice for a real joe-average ability swimmer trying to improve.

That's a bit of a strawman though, I don't know anyone who says that the only reason someone gets to D1 level swimming is through hard work and talent isn't required at all.

However, if you want to get to being a semi-decent triathlon swimmer (i.e. MOP), there isn't a huge genetic barrier there. There are outliers, sure, but a lot of that comes down to putting the work in.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted again in a couple of the Olympic Trials threads.

Is that OK?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [aftrburnrs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and I am proud to say that I exceeded ten (10) minutes in T1 at Alcatraz. Sometimes you just have to stop and smell the roses. Or take a quick nap.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I posted again in a couple of the Olympic Trials threads.

Is that OK?

I'm sure slowman thanks you for generating more clicks!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm more curious about the name change. Come on man, what gives? Did you think you'd bury the original thread and escape under a nom de plume? That always ends well.....

How's that request of yours working out? LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the OP changes his screen name...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
And the OP changes his screen name...

I also think its funny, according to his profile he hasn't logged on since around the time he changed his screen name. Really trying to go into hiding, LOL I wonder what his email notifications look like
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ColinW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dunno but the main reason I stayed in Canada for University/College swimming was the 0.62 Cdn $ in the late 90s. His times are fast by tri standards but very ordinary in the world of college swimming.

Besides I got to spend 2 weeks training with Hackett in his prime. Now that was awesome.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I am saddened to see this belief (and the fact that it has been second-ed and third-ed by others). This is so far off base. It is not some magical genetic swimming gift that makes fast swimmers, or any other great athlete.

Does it take talent or a "natural gift" to show up to the pool and work hard everyday? Twice a day? For years? It does not.

There may have been some small "genetic advantage" - they were a little older/taller/stronger/more flexible than the other 6 year olds - that encourage them to swim (and stick with it) when they were young. What made them fast was years of hard work. I suggest you read 'The Talent Code'.

I was an okay swimmer. If you took a look at me you would not say I am particularly genetically gifted. What I had/have going for me is 10 years of competitive swimming. 50 weeks a year. 4-10 practices a week. 15+ hours in the water a week, and then dryland. Hundreds and hundreds of miles in the pool. And that was the schedule of high school swimmer not fast enough to make it in college. Imagine what the truly dedicated were doing.

You are kidding yourself and taking away from the accomplishments of others if you think that greatness is born.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [mhepp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I stand firm and center by my strong belief that there are real talent differences out there.

There are also folks like yourself who really bust your tail - and I'm sure you got solid results for your work, as expected.

But as you can see, even busting your tail 15 hours a week, with dryland still didn't get you fast enough to swim in college.

I guarantee that there are quite a few collegiate swimmers out there who en route to their college careers, swam half as much as you if you add up all those years. And they still went faster than you.

And ask any youth swim or sports coach if some kids just 'get it' in the water, or their sport. As early as age 5, you can tell these gifts (not all of them, but a fair amount of it.)

I can also guarantee you 100% that if I swam as much as you did, I wouldn't be able to even make a collegiate D3 swim team. I'm a much better runner than swimmer, and even when I ran 70-100 miles per week on the Advanced Marathoning Pfitzinger program, I never even approached even D3 collegiate runner times (18:20 5ks aren't even close for D3 college for men), so swimming which is something I clearly have even less talent in, would be ridiculously impossible for me to reach collegiate level at, let alone D1.

You're also putting words in my mouth when you say I think "greatness was born". Never did I say greatness did not require hard work, and tons of it. World-class greatness requires BOTH genetics AND tons of hard work. But you're kidding yourself if you think all people are so equal that they can be D1 swimmers with enough work - you yourself proved that wrong.
Last edited by: lightheir: Jun 30, 16 13:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there differences? Sure.

Is that the MAIN difference between a D1 swimmer and average joe lap swimmer? No.

It may be a small one, but that was the point I was arguing. Carry on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:
Does it take talent or a "natural gift" to show up to the pool and work hard everyday? Twice a day? For years? It does not.

[..]

You are kidding yourself and taking away from the accomplishments of others if you think that greatness is born.

Of course it takes talent to show up and work hard every day. It's a different type of talent than getting in a pool and swimming fast with no experience. Or being able to train enough to get fast and not get injured. Or to be 6'5" with long arms and big feet. But that motivation is absolutely something that is a genetic gift.

There was a good story from someone on ST talking about swimming with the same group of people from age 6 through high school. While they all did roughly similar training and all got faster, the kids who were fastest at 6 were faster at 12 and 18 too.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhepp wrote:
Are there differences? Sure.

Is that the MAIN difference between a D1 swimmer and average joe lap swimmer? No.

It may be a small one, but that was the point I was arguing. Carry on

Actually, it IS the main difference.

The average joe swimmer doesn't have the desire or ability to even take on that kind of commitment to swimming. Largely because it's pretty clear they won't be that great at it.

But even if you force them to bust their tail and do all those workouts, they won't even be close to a D1 swimmer.

This is more clear in running, where you can't just blame technique on someone's lack of speed. There are plenty of 16-18 year olds who run 15:xx 5ks on under 30mpw of training, and often have been running for less than a few years. Yet there are MILLIONS of kids, who do the same or more training, and can't even break 20 (or even 22).

It's not going to be the same exact ability curve, but you're fooling yourself to think that swimming doesn't have such a differential between the talented and nontalented. For sure, you're not going to have joe-average swimmer pulling within 5sec/100 of the gifted D1-swimmer by doing equal training. In fact, it'll likely be a 20sec/100 or more gap at all speeds in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
mhepp wrote:

[..]

Of course it takes talent to show up and work hard every day. It's a different type of talent than getting in a pool and swimming fast with no experience. Or being able to train enough to get fast and not get injured. Or to be 6'5" with long arms and big feet. But that motivation is absolutely something that is a genetic gift.

There was a good story from someone on ST talking about swimming with the same group of people from age 6 through high school. While they all did roughly similar training and all got faster, the kids who were fastest at 6 were faster at 12 and 18 too.

It's not just the talent of hard work (which is a real thing - I definitely have that 'hardworking' gene, whatever it is despite trying to deny it for years), but also the reinforcement you get as a talented youth athlete/swimmer that encourages you to commit big-time to the sport early on.

If all your coaches are telling you you're going to have a great future in the sport, with possible shot at the Olympics or college scholarship, your parents are so proud of you on deck, and most imporantly, you WIN most of the events you enter, it's pretty easy to get motivated to spend years of your life and hours and hours.

Compare to if you bust your tail, end up in the middle of every competition you enter (not just the 'elite' ones), have coaches going 'meh' at your ability and spending all their time with the other faster kids, and your parents constantly complaining how much time swimming takes away from your lives, it's pretty easy to see how even the most hardworking and diligent person wouldn't persist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my number 1 key to happiness in life - try a lot of things, and if you suck, quit.

Really if you don't have an aptitude/ability to improve, then focus your time where you can get better. It's more fun to do activities you are good at, whether that is swimming, rock climbing, crossword puzzles, guitar, acting, whatever.

And I totally agree there is a positive feedback loop that stems from natural ability: aptitude --> success --> practice --> more success --> practice harder --> more success --> ...

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this the right thread to talk about the Poland/Portugal match? Can't believe Ronaldo missed that oppotunity. Good runner though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

No, I stand firm and center by my strong belief that there are real talent differences out there.

There are also folks like yourself who really bust your tail - and I'm sure you got solid results for your work, as expected.

But as you can see, even busting your tail 15 hours a week, with dryland still didn't get you fast enough to swim in college.

I guarantee that there are quite a few collegiate swimmers out there who en route to their college careers, swam half as much as you if you add up all those years. And they still went faster than you.

And ask any youth swim or sports coach if some kids just 'get it' in the water, or their sport. As early as age 5, you can tell these gifts (not all of them, but a fair amount of it.)

I can also guarantee you 100% that if I swam as much as you did, I wouldn't be able to even make a collegiate D3 swim team. I'm a much better runner than swimmer, and even when I ran 70-100 miles per week on the Advanced Marathoning Pfitzinger program, I never even approached even D3 collegiate runner times (18:20 5ks aren't even close for D3 college for men), so swimming which is something I clearly have even less talent in, would be ridiculously impossible for me to reach collegiate level at, let alone D1.

You're also putting words in my mouth when you say I think "greatness was born". Never did I say greatness did not require hard work, and tons of it. World-class greatness requires BOTH genetics AND tons of hard work. But you're kidding yourself if you think all people are so equal that they can be D1 swimmers with enough work - you yourself proved that wrong.

lightheir wrote:

Your guarantee is wrong if you are saying that there are quite a few D1 swimmers that maxed out at 7 hours per week. Now you did say "if you add up all those years," so maybe you are suggesting that there are D1 swimmers who didn't train much up to a point. I can buy that. But 98% of D1 swimmers put in 10+ hours per week in HS.

lightheir wrote:

Again some truth here. But l would caution you that your last sentence - "not all of them, but a fair amount of it" - is wrong if you are talking about 5 year olds. Take a kid who is a really average summer league only swimmer at age 9, stick them in a real program, and you find a lot of "hidden" talent.

lightheir wrote:

You don't know that because you started swimming too late in life. Aren't your kids really good swimmers? Hey, they are half yours!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must be confusing me with someone else.

My 5-year old daughter is showing zero signs of talent in the pool. Sure, it's early right now, but as far as I can tell, it's almost negative talent, in that almost all the kids her age are clearly stronger in the water even while just playing around.

Alas, that was the story of my life in sports...

I also admit to not knowing the full history of D1 swimmers and was using my knowledge of folks that probably weren't D1 swimmers and confusing that with the mix. For sure, there are some non D1 college swimmers who didn't train that much for their entire life before college, but it's probably true as you say for D1 swimmers.
Quote Reply

Prev Next