Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Just to throw this even more sideways, Track and Field Olympic Trials start in just a few days.
Can we start a bunch of threads about that?

I'm more upset no one is talking about the Women's Gymnastics stuff going on. Oh wait I'm probably truly the only one that cares about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't hear any complaints when the runners posted about the Marathon trials in here.

I don't hear complaints when the cyclists put threads about the TdF in here.

Almost nobody here races draft legal ITU, but we post about that because it's triathlon related.

Despite how shitty most triathletes are at swimming... and cycling too, the sport is SWIM, BIKE and run. I don't see a problem. A few fresh topics are nice break from doping, power, aero, training questions.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [Cyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cyz wrote:
You are the primary offender. Jesus Christ dude, don't you have a life? Paragraphs do exist, IF I WERE WRITING A BOOK. It's a forum moron. Seriously go glom on to a swimming forum. People should care about swimming tips from a dude from Halifax about as much as they should care about budgeting tips from your congressman.

Jason doesn't need my help, and, Father forgive me for talking nicely about a swimmer, but I have gotten some great tips from Jason (and others) and my swim times have improved because of them. Ugh, I feel dirty just saying that.

I know you are trolling but I'll take the time to answer from a runner's perspective why I get my swim tips from here. The swimmers here largely don't answer questions like former D1 d-bags. Said another way, I get it, you can swim a 100 in the time it takes me to swim a 75. Whoopee. Try to keep that fact out of your answer to my question about how to use a pull buoy to help correct my awful body position.

Having never been to one of those swim forums, I assume they are a lot like LetsRun where every poster is a sub-4 miler. I imagine the swimming advice goes something like, "The best way to improve your pull is to do what I did when I won Conference Champs four years consecutively..."

Oh, and since you seem to be new here, I'll let you know wearing the former D1 swimmer tag just means you weren't athletic enough to play any real sports. Swimming is what the rest of us do to cool off after we actually exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyz wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DesertFox wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DesertFox wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
The trick to disguising a backdoor brag is not to put it in your first sentence. But I do give you credit, I think this is the first time I have seen the cover up for a backdoor brag to be, "I am going to act like a self-righteous turd."

okay, seriously, you've posted here just a few times what's your story.

It's not a backdoor brag. It was more of a "holy than thow, I have a right to speak on the matter". I didn't post any times or anything like that. I certainly don't mind bragging, but didn't feel it appropriate in the context of the post. I totally agree there should be a substantial smattering of swimming stuff in a triathlon forum, duh! But post after post of trials related mumble jumble, cmon. Thats for swim swam and the other forums. I don't want to have to dig and dig for stuff about triathlon. Basically missed the info yesterday about the Oceanside change b/c the swimming garbage.

Wait, are you doubling down on the self-righteous turd act because again to cover up the backdoor brag? It didn't work the first time, playing it again is just, no offense, a little obvious.

Careful, you keep using the self-righteous turd card and we might actually think you are one....

Sine this has gone so sideways, would it hurt to triple down.

That is more like it. Alright, you are chomping at the bit, out with it. 500/1650 times:

500 - 4:36.08, 1000 - 9:16.07

Are you a girl? I've been referring to you as a "he" but that's perhaps a faulty assumption on my part.

Those are really solid times for women's swimming, the 500 gets you a D1 "A" cut.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
Just to throw this even more sideways, Track and Field Olympic Trials start in just a few days.

Please do! I don't know anything really about T&F but am intruiged with it's going's on.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
same here.

Especially with some of the more obscure events that you never really hear about outside the Olympics. javelin, discus, steeplechase, etc....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyz wrote:
As a former DI distance swimmer, swimming has done a ton for me, but seriously this is a triathlon forum. There are swimming forums on the world wide web. Yes, yes it's true. A quick google search yielded a litany of results for "swimming forums". I know I know, it's crazy. Now it is also true that triathlon does have a swimming element to it, and that some here would be interested in learning about swimming, get swimming tips, etc. But if you wanted to know more about Trials why wouldn't you go to a SWIMMING FORUM. It seems like many triathletes are not awesome swimmers, and the swim is simply an avenue to the bike or run. It's a mild inconvenience for many. I'm assuming 90% of triathletes care about swimming trials as much as I care about the NBA playoffs, last second of the last game of the season, sure I'll watch (but I'm switching the channel immediately after it's over). Further, if you're looking for swimming tips and tricks, or coaching advice, wouldn't a better place to go be a swimming forum? This would be place where people who are good at swimming post, write articles, etc. Nothing against slowtwitch at all, but if you want to be a better swimmer go to where the real swimmers are. If you want to be a better biker, go to a cycling forum, etc. Same in the real world. Join a masters group, ride w/ a group and I'm not super sure what you do about running. If you want to continue to simmer in a stew of swimming mediocrity hang out w/ triathletes (kidding, sort of). But really, can't we focus a bit more on Jesse Thomas, and the awesome things he's doing, Andy Potts, Ben Hoffman, Keinle, Frodeno, Carfrae...etc etc? I've never seen anyone one a swimming forum post about Olympic Triathletes. Anyway, there's my $.02, now feel free to tell me how wrong I am. I'm going to go get started readying a bunch of posts for the TDF. Out.

Totally agree. I'm here to hear about TRIATHLONS, not swimming, biking, or running. Sheesh. What is WRONG with people?!

P.S.: paragraphs dude, paragraphs.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Jun 29, 16 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyz wrote:
As a former DI distance swimmer, swimming has done a ton for me, but seriously this is a triathlon forum. There are swimming forums on the world wide web. Yes, yes it's true. A quick google search yielded a litany of results for "swimming forums". I know I know, it's crazy. Now it is also true that triathlon does have a swimming element to it, and that some here would be interested in learning about swimming, get swimming tips, etc. But if you wanted to know more about Trials why wouldn't you go to a SWIMMING FORUM. It seems like many triathletes are not awesome swimmers, and the swim is simply an avenue to the bike or run. It's a mild inconvenience for many. I'm assuming 90% of triathletes care about swimming trials as much as I care about the NBA playoffs, last second of the last game of the season, sure I'll watch (but I'm switching the channel immediately after it's over). Further, if you're looking for swimming tips and tricks, or coaching advice, wouldn't a better place to go be a swimming forum? This would be place where people who are good at swimming post, write articles, etc. Nothing against slowtwitch at all, but if you want to be a better swimmer go to where the real swimmers are. If you want to be a better biker, go to a cycling forum, etc. Same in the real world. Join a masters group, ride w/ a group and I'm not super sure what you do about running. If you want to continue to simmer in a stew of swimming mediocrity hang out w/ triathletes (kidding, sort of). But really, can't we focus a bit more on Jesse Thomas, and the awesome things he's doing, Andy Potts, Ben Hoffman, Keinle, Frodeno, Carfrae...etc etc? I've never seen anyone one a swimming forum post about Olympic Triathletes. Anyway, there's my $.02, now feel free to tell me how wrong I am. I'm going to go get started readying a bunch of posts for the TDF. Out.

The same can be said for cycling and running. This is a triathlon forum. Triathlon: Swim, Bike, Run...see how that works??
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrRabbit wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I hope from this point forward this thread will solely be devoted to talking about the trials.

100 free prelims are on.

I'm really hoping Greeeevers makes it on the 4x1 relay. He was pretty quick in the 100 back yesterday, but not quite quick enough.

I hope he grabs a spot too. I wouldn't want to imagine getting that close but missing out.

In case anyone didn't know it was streaming:
http://stream.nbcolympics.com/...-day-4-preliminaries

Not looking good right now. He just squeaked into the semis.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget about triathlon, let's talk decathlon. Those guys are insane.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ColinW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ColinW wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

I'm more upset no one is talking about the Women's Gymnastics stuff going on. Oh wait I'm probably truly the only one that cares about that.

I did catch a bit of the diving trials. I have no idea how the scoring works, but the athleticism is impressive.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyz wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
The trick to disguising a backdoor brag is not to put it in your first sentence. But I do give you credit, I think this is the first time I have seen the cover up for a backdoor brag to be, "I am going to act like a self-righteous turd."

It's not a backdoor brag. It was more of a "holy than thow, I have a right to speak on the matter". I didn't post any times or anything like that. I certainly don't mind bragging, but didn't feel it appropriate in the context of the post. I totally agree there should be a substantial smattering of swimming stuff in a triathlon forum, duh! But post after post of trials related mumble jumble, cmon. Thats for swim swam and the other forums. I don't want to have to dig and dig for stuff about triathlon. Basically missed the info yesterday about the Oceanside change b/c the swimming garbage.

You're sure not going to like the month of July on here, what with it being le tour month and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To the OP:

I've checked out swimming forums, quite a few of them, on the exact premise you propose, in that "the best swimmers should be on swimming forums, so you'll get the best advice there."

The reality though:

- Most swimming forums are almost entirely frequented by competitive swimmers. Meaning that these folks have been RACING swimming for years, if not since childhood, and very seriously as a single sport. This almost always means as well that these same folks are (very) naturally gifted at swimming or else they'd have quit long ago, even if they're not just 'joe-average' on their competitive swim team.

- When you ask a group of very gifted athletes for advice on basics, you often get the WORST advice, despite these gifted folks meaning well.

They'll say stuff like "if you're not swimming sub 1:20/100m for distance, it's all a technique problem for you, forget about effort, fix your technique', which is a load of crap for the non-gifted triathlete swimmer. They'll also attribute almost all their swim speed to "I worked so hard, which is the ONLY reason I'm so great at swimming", and/or "I refined my technique so will, which is the ONLY reason I swim 1:00/100 and you swim 1:45/100" - both of which are patently false.

The MAIN reason they're fast (like collegiate fast), first and foremost is their genetic advantage. After that, sure, hard work and technique count, but those factors will never make a average AG triathlete a D1 swimmer, no matter how hard they try. These gifted swimmers would have been FFOP triathlon swimmers with zero coaching, minimal training, even without their swim background, once they started training, thanks to their natural gifts, which they will NEVER acknowledge. Even D1 swimmers here routinely say they have no swim talent.

If you want to see this in force in running, just go to letsrun.com and watch the advice of these gifted 15-16 min 5k runners to 24+ min 5k runners - they'll say "I run 15 min 5ks on <20mpw, so at the LEAST, you should be able to run a 17-18 on <20mpw - you're just training all wrong or too wimpy to push it hard enough." Yeah, right.

- I actually am pretty sure that in terms of swimming forums, unless you're a gifted (collegiate swimmers are gifted in my book!) swimmer, triathlon swim forums give your best bet for getting practical advice for a real joe-average ability swimmer trying to improve.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the op also thinks that swimswam has a forum...

He could be right, but I haven't found it.

Quick google on my phone gives me the USMS forum, for a lot of the good stuff you need to be a current member of US Masters Swimming. Also Swimsmooth forum, Total Immersion, and something called D3swimming.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 29, 16 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I hope from this point forward this thread will solely be devoted to talking about the trials.
100 free prelims are on.
I'm really hoping Greeeevers makes it on the 4x1 relay. He was pretty quick in the 100 back yesterday, but not quite quick enough.

I don't know man, it's not looking good for big Matt as he finished 16th overall in the prelims, barely squeaking into the semis. Similarly Cullen Jones was 29th in the 100 prelims so his only hope now is the 50.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Cullen has a chance...IIRC, he only made the B finals for the 50 in the last meet I watched (and didn't win that).
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly, no. I don't think he's gonna make it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoelO wrote:
I don't think Cullen has a chance...IIRC, he only made the B finals for the 50 in the last meet I watched (and didn't win that).

Oh well, i guess he had a great run at the very top for several years. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ColinW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ColinW wrote:
Rumpled wrote:

If we are talking about women's sports, in general which sport has the most attractive athletes. I'm usually torn between tennis and surfing but then Olympics rolls around and I can't decide.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

I don't know man, it's not looking good for big Matt as he finished 16th overall in the prelims, barely squeaking into the semis. Similarly Cullen Jones was 29th in the 100 prelims so his only hope now is the 50.

Did anyone see the close up of Matt after the 100 back? Difficult to describe, but I saw both contentment and sadness in his face...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
DesertFox wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Wait, are you doubling down on the self-righteous turd act again to cover up the backdoor brag? It didn't work the first time, playing it again is just, no offense, a little obvious.

Careful, you keep using the self-righteous turd card and we might actually think you are one....

Let this be a less to everyone: if you post something stupid but someone is kind enough to give you a door out...TAKE IT.

PS: you leave the thread and change you handle NEXT week.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [TriBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBrad02 wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
blah blah blah bikes blah blah ftp blah blah aero blah blah ironman

better?

What time does trial coverage start tonight?
So are we just not going to talk about the elephant in the room: Kevin Durant's free agency? The entire balance of power of the league could shift on his decision.
Smart money says he stays in OKC for one more year then he and Westbrook will be free agents at the same time. The Thunder dumping Ibaka for Victor Oladipo was a real power play. With the way Adam's shored up the middle in the playoffs, I think they will really benefit from Oladipo's slashing ability. Ibaka just seemed like a square peg in a round hole the last two seasons. The Thunder have been to the WCF 4 of the last 6 seasons and Durant was a big reason they didn't make it to the finals this year. He can't really leave for "basketball reasons" when much of the blame is on him. Now, next year, with the cap going up, a lot of players are going to get filthy rich. If the Thunder can keep their core, they should still have space under the cap to pull in a true point guard, someone that will distribute the ball. This will free up Westbrook to play his try position at the 2. Then you have 3 slashers and playmakers on wing. There's a lot of moving parts and a bunch of money to be had next year. Interesting times for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm waiting for someone to crossfit this bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
DesertFox wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

Wait, are you doubling down on the self-righteous turd act again to cover up the backdoor brag? It didn't work the first time, playing it again is just, no offense, a little obvious.

Let this be a less to everyone: if you post something stupid but someone is kind enough to give you a door out...TAKE IT.

PS: you leave the thread and change you handle NEXT week.

Or maybe he just realized that it was not the best idea to use a handle that was a common nickname of a Nazi general. (I suppose, to give him the benefit of the doubt, that it is possible that his particular D1 school didn't offer coursework on European history in the twentieth century.)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming forums do exist, they should be used. [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deleted - getting too LR...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jun 29, 16 12:18
Quote Reply

Prev Next