Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist
Quote | Reply
I was away on business last weekend and didn't get a chance to watch until today. I noticed some of the women that usually wear triathlon shorts are wearing a high cut swimsuit. Jodie Simpson as an example. I can only image that the organizers requred it. Sad that we still live in an age where world class athletes are pimped out as sex objects. Yes, I know that the belief is that it will get more viewers. However, that decision should be left to the individual athlete.

My 25 year old feminist daughter would be very proud of me for this post.
Last edited by: RallySavage: Oct 8, 17 11:37
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you assume something, and then call out an organization for being sexist based on that assumption? Yes, I can guarantee all feminists are very proud of you
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I can guarantee all feminists are very proud of you

In general, that response seems often used by people who don't understand feminism. Not assuming you don't, just saying it's not really clear what aspect of the OP post that would actually apply (in its sarcasm) to.

I saw at least a few comments from athletes about having to "get used" to wearing the uniforms. I think probably the substantive thing is that while some of the female racers that did super league seem to favor suits with legs in other races, I'm pretty sure only one racer in super league wore a suit that had legs.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The men's kit was all uniform and the same cut/style though so obviously a kit style has been dictated for both males and females racing.

I didn't see males complaining about having to adjust to wearing a sleeved top compared to normally racing in a non-sleeved.

If they want to compete for the big prizes offered by superleague then having to adhere to wear kit produced by superleague is a price they pay.

If they don't like the kit, don't race the series...

Powered by Rocket Science Sports
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just watched day 2 and saw that one woman with the shorts. So maybe I did jump to the wrong conclusion. I guess Jodie just decided on her own to wear a different kit.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is ridiculous. Remember the story of the boy who cried wolf. When people overreach to find something politically incorrect it hurts the case for legitimate cases. This is an amazing series and has the best chance of achieve greater exposure for the sport right now. Watching it right now! If upper thigh makes one uncomfortable then watch something else.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [jac2689] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jac2689 wrote:
The men's kit was all uniform and the same cut/style though so obviously a kit style has been dictated for both males and females racing.

I didn't see males complaining about having to adjust to wearing a sleeved top compared to normally racing in a non-sleeved.

If they want to compete for the big prizes offered by superleague then having to adhere to wear kit produced by superleague is a price they pay.

If they don't like the kit, don't race the series...

As it turns out I may have been wrong. There is one woman with shorts. So my mistake. Sincere apologies to the race organization. Having said that, I disagree with your point. They shouldn't have to choice between racing an event versus not being treated like an object.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you watch ITU racing? eta: and know the style of uniforms that the majority of girls are racing in now versus even a few years ago.

http://www.aomultisport.com
twitter; instagram-@brooksdoughtie
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 8, 17 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Do you watch ITU racing? eta: and know the style of uniforms that the majority of girls are racing in now versus even a few years ago.

Yes. That's how I knew Jodie Simpson never wears a baiting suit.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's becoming the style much more these days, as it's really become popular choice I'd say in the last 2 years. SL wants to market their brand, and it's evident they want a standard uniform style/design (notice men all had same style).

http://www.aomultisport.com
twitter; instagram-@brooksdoughtie
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That's becoming the style much more these days, as it's really become popular choice I'd say in the last 2 years. SL wants to market their brand, and it's evident they want a standard uniform style/design (notice men all had same style).

I love the style. I love SuperLeague. That's why after an 8 day business trip in Europe that when I got back to the US I was looking forward to watching it. I think you can keep the style and still give the woman the same opinion they have in ITU for either shorts or bathing suit style.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm confused.....if a girl wore the leggings one, what option did they not have? Because a few wore the bathing suit bottom when they usually don't...that's what you based your thoughts on?

eta: This isn't as if they created some skimpy design to draw viewers in. They've all raced in that style of suit for years now. That's facts.

http://www.aomultisport.com
twitter; instagram-@brooksdoughtie
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 8, 17 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post a picture of your daughter and we'll be the judge of that.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I guess I'm confused.....if a girl wore the leggings one, what option did they not have? Because a few wore the bathing suit bottom when they usually don't...that's what you based your thoughts on?

Yes. See my post a few up from this. I totally blew it. If one woman wore the shorts then it's safe to assume all of them had the same option. Maybe I should just delete this post.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you should. cause I think most people are tired of people like yourself making claims at the expense of others before knowing the facts.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [cjb3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjb3 wrote:
you should. cause I think most people are tired of people like yourself making claims at the expense of others before knowing the facts.

Well, I think the larger point is still valid. Men can be butt ugly and be well compensated for their athletic achievements. For women, not so much. The better looking they are the better compensated.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your whole point is to talk about the injustices that women face, great let's have that discussion. I think you just need to be very careful who you accuse and claim is creating an injustice. In this instance, your dead wrong on the company you are trying to use a point on to say is creating an injustice.

http://www.aomultisport.com
twitter; instagram-@brooksdoughtie
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and men who are less charismatic and introverted have a more difficult time in marketing jobs and meeting girls. Sometimes life is life and may seem unfair. Grow up and see that. What about looks and men? brady, ronaldo, beckham....there are many athletes up there with them, but prettier men get more pay esp through endorsements. This is life and human nature, not a sexist thing.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
delete. your wrong on this one so don't try and change original point to a broader one.
Quote Reply
Re: Is SuperLeague sexist? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
cjb3 wrote:
you should. cause I think most people are tired of people like yourself making claims at the expense of others before knowing the facts.


Well, I think the larger point is still valid. Men can be butt ugly and be well compensated for their athletic achievements. For women, not so much. The better looking they are the better compensated.


"knowing the facts..." There really aren't a lot of facts in this thread on either side, are there?


I don't think the original topic is really so farfetched. Maybe it would have been better to pose the thread title as a question. But is it so wrong to consider why a particular uniform is chosen, or why the guys aren't racing in budgie smugglers? Tim Reed does, so doesn't everyone?

The one racer who was not wearing the standard uniform is from Bahrain, isn't she? I'm *assuming* rather than stating as fact... maybe everyone was told to wear the same uniform and in one case an exception was made.


Sure, it's how things are, but it is a bummer when accomplished female athletes (or other people) are marketed based on looks. I'm sure someone who knows a lot about marketing can explain how having women wearing the racing suit style of their choice would hurt Super League brand recognition or something.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rider17 wrote:
and men who are less charismatic and introverted have a more difficult time in marketing jobs and meeting girls. Sometimes life is life and may seem unfair. Grow up and see that. What about looks and men? brady, ronaldo, beckham....there are many athletes up there with them, but prettier men get more pay esp through endorsements. This is life and human nature, not a sexist thing.


By the way, this is just a brutally inapt comparison. Seriously, not even in the ballpark.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Men can be butt ugly and be well compensated for their athletic achievements. For women, not so much. The better looking they are the better compensated.[/quote]

what I said wasn't relevant to the original post. I was talking about this one
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
I guess I'm confused.....if a girl wore the leggings one, what option did they not have? Because a few wore the bathing suit bottom when they usually don't...that's what you based your thoughts on?

Yes. See my post a few up from this. I totally blew it. If one woman wore the shorts then it's safe to assume all of them had the same option. Maybe I should just delete this post.

Seems highly irresponsible that you have not already deleted the post, or at a minimum, edited the title.
Quote Reply
Re: SuperLeague Triathlon is sexist [Rider17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair enough, but just can't get with comparisons to people who are legitimized for talent and then have opportunities after that (when the issue is something else entirely).
Quote Reply

Prev Next