"Just an easy spin" or "morning coffee ride" or "nice easy recovery ride"

meanwhile they PR everything and bag a few KOM's
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Strava users crack me up [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let your legs do the talking come race day. This Strava is fraught with fakers and a lack of accountability. If someone claims to be a badass I'll believe it when I see it. Until then they are full of shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its much easier to beat people when they don't know they are in a race. Stravas business plan is pure brilliance.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
Let your legs do the talking come race day. This Strava is fraught with fakers and a lack of accountability. If someone claims to be a badass I'll believe it when I see it. Until then they are full of shit.

everybody knows everybody in austin
there is no doubt about the legit KOMs

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we talk that shit in person during ACTUAL rides........ "oh, that climb back there that i just crushed you on? I was having trouble getting my gel pack open or i would have pushed it harder"....

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Its much easier to beat people when they don't know they are in a race. Stravas business plan is pure brilliance.

Given that Strava makes exactly nil offa me (and most of the folks I know who use it), I'm not real sure about brilliance of their business plan.

It is fun. And addictive.

But to the OP's point, I've recently seen that same sorta thing. Some local stud labeled his 2+ hour ride a "recovery ride" and he set one KOM and nearly took out another during said ride.

(that 2nd one is mine, which is how I happened upon it. And frankly, had this kid been going for it, he'd probably have beaten my time soundly, as he had just recently won a very competitive Cat3 race, and is waaaaay stronger and better trained on a bike than I'll ever be.)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm going in right now and labelling every workout as "Easy spin, mountain bike"

LOL.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of Strava. There are some really popular routes around here with tens of thousands of rides and hundreds of riders that are pretty fun to try for KOMs on. I have a few on less popular rides (>100 entries), but on the popular rides I can't crack the top 10, or even 20-25 in some cases. It's fun to try for though!

I never label my rides though, they just come titled default as date and time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a few buddies who are using Strava and that's all they'll discuss post ride. One guy even ran a red light in a busy intersection to grab points. Not good.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [art] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
art wrote:
I'm a big fan of Strava. There are some really popular routes around here with tens of thousands of rides and hundreds of riders that are pretty fun to try for KOMs on. I have a few on less popular rides (>100 entries), but on the popular rides I can't crack the top 10, or even 20-25 in some cases. It's fun to try for though!

I have started to use also, in the free mode. A nice place to log all my training. I have no desire to compare anything to anyone else. Only thing that matters is what happens on race day.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are are plenty of legit racers on Strava who will hand you your ass; I race against a bunch of them and they're no joke. Levi also hangs out with an alias and posts some insane times.

That said, I think the KOM hunters can be a little agro but to each his own.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 13, 12 11:49
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
we talk that shit in person during ACTUAL rides........ "oh, that climb back there that i just crushed you on? I was having trouble getting my gel pack open or i would have pushed it harder"....

"I was impressed until I heard you took a gel" (quote from a friend when commenting on another friends half-mary pr).
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Tri Slow Poke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Slow Poke wrote:
I have a few buddies who are using Strava and that's all they'll discuss post ride. One guy even ran a red light in a busy intersection to grab points. Not good.

any kom segment that involves stoplights, flag it dangerous. imho

Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some joker named Juan Pelota has obviously been driving around in his car setting KOMs around here.

http://app.strava.com/segments/630021

I do that one all out in a pack once a week, and I can't beat it! haha
My wife is closer than I am

Carl Spackler wrote:
There are are plenty of legit racers on Strava who will hand you your ass; I race against a bunch of them and they're no joke. Levi also hangs out with an alias and posts some insane times.

That said, I think the KOM hunters can be a little agro but to each his own.

Last edited by: jackmott: Jun 13, 12 11:52
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
art wrote:

I have started to use also, in the free mode. A nice place to log all my training. I have no desire to compare anything to anyone else. Only thing that matters is what happens on race day.

You say that now......

We have a couple of Pros in town that have crushed everything so unless I figure out how to get back to 5 w/kg and still swim and run or hold onto a car on the way up, there is not much hope for me..

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does Strava prevent people from gaming the system? Couldn't you just take your Garmin with you in your car or motorcycle and win a KOM (obviously you would have to gauge it so it was not totally preposterous).

Is it totally on the honor system?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
How does Strava prevent people from gaming the system? Couldn't you just take your Garmin with you in your car or motorcycle and win a KOM (obviously you would have to gauge it so it was not totally preposterous).

Is it totally on the honor system?

it has a flagging system, I assume human review the flagged rides and delete them.

but, there are plenty of 'legit' ways to game the system. getting a leadout for a KOM, waiting for a hurricane blowing in the right direction, strapping on the race wheels and a skin suit, etc

like I said around here we all know each other, so when Jennifer Purcell broke the (mens) mopac TT record by a minute, we knew that was motorpaced. and it is now gone.

that juan pelota guy is cheating though I know it. who does he think he is? lance?

Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got a better shot one-upping the uniballer on a run segment.
kdw made juan pelota his strava-bitch on a run segment in Boston a while back...

The thing is - there are (obviously) a LOT of fast folks who are NOT on Strava. Thank God.
Or I'd never get any KOM's on anything, ever.

I do like finding random local KOM's I never knew about before, and giving 'em a go.
Gets me to push hard(er) when I otherwise might not be motivated to do so.
As a mostly solo trainer, it's a Good Thing.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a really cool program a pro on Kenda (who is also finishing his PhD in applied math) wrote. You can compare Strava segments and see where you gained/lost time on others who've ridden it: http://raceshape.com/
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 13, 12 12:20
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
This is a really cool program a pro on Kenda (who is also finishing his PhD in applied math) wrote. You can compare Strava segments and see where you gained/lost time on others who've ridding it: http://raceshape.com/

oh
my
god

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
This is a really cool program a pro on Kenda (who is also finishing his PhD in applied math) wrote. You can compare Strava segments and see where you gained/lost time on others who've ridding it: http://raceshape.com/

Nice, I have an engineer friend who is obsessed with Strava (he's a fast masters racer as well). He'll probably be up all night after I send him this link..

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:

... or edit the Garmin file and munge the time stamps? (said without any knowledge of what the file format is ... but I would guess that is possible).
Quote Reply

Prev Next