Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava users crack me up [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
... or edit the Garmin file and munge the time stamps? (said without any knowledge of what the file format is ... but I would guess that is possible).

yeah that is easy

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
This is a really cool program a pro on Kenda (who is also finishing his PhD in applied math) wrote. You can compare Strava segments and see where you gained/lost time on others who've ridding it: http://raceshape.com/

oh
my
god

ha

X2
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, yeah, it takes the obsession level up another couple notches.

Some courses are more interesting than others to compare, like a RR we recently had that starts with a 20 mile climb and then long descent. You could see where the goats pulled away and then the good descenders closed in on them. Same for TTs, especially those that have wind/hill/technical sections.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
BrianB wrote:

... or edit the Garmin file and munge the time stamps? (said without any knowledge of what the file format is ... but I would guess that is possible).

yeah that is easy

If you google Strava, the 3rd result is How To Cheat At Strava.

How to Cheat at Strava | Marc Pro - Strava
That IMC cheater doode is gonna have a field day with this!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
jackmott wrote:
BrianB wrote:

yeah that is easy

If you google Strava, the 3rd result is How To Cheat At Strava.

How to Cheat at Strava | Marc Pro - Strava
That IMC cheater doode is gonna have a field day with this!!

That's comedy!

Quote:
To insure you have a KOM that no-one else can break, create one that ends inside your house. That's right, ride straight through your front door (lock it behind you) and end your ride at the refrigerator. As long as you keep your doors locked, no-one will beat the KOM that ends at a sandwich in your kitchen.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in an area with limited riding opportunity (read: city), and most of the places to ride also have frequent races. I would venture a guess that 100% of the KOMs on my typical rides are won during races with huge draft benefit. You just aren't going to head out the door on a training ride and get anywhere close.

Just something else to consider when looking at some of the times.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i especially like the fact that with the "segment search" function I've found new hills to climb. Its helped me to mix it up & not just ride the exact same roads all the time.

But I got a bunch of KOMs on the Rev3 Quassy course "stolen" from me by Jesse Thomas two weeks ago... darned pros come into town and steal my local thunder :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [slimfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with any of it. I love strava. When people post "nice easy spin" and you can see they freakin hammered it, I just don't get the logic.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other side of the coin is - if people dont' have a powermeter most of the time - they have no comprehension of what "easy" is, and even then sometimes they don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm going in right now and labelling every workout as "Easy spin, mountain bike"

ROFL

I love me some strava, but I only compare myself to my previous times to see when I get better. KOM's ain't happening so I don't worry about it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a handful of KOM's, but they're all on hills that I GO DOWN. Not sure how Strava turns that into a KOM.

-----------------
Dale Stephanos (Formerly PappaD)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've become a pretty big fan of strava. I'm usually riding solo, so finding some good motivation can be a challenge. What I've been doing the last couple of weeks is plotting rides to go KOM hunting. I'll plot a ride that hits a bunch of segments and do them pretty much all out and then ride easy between them. For me, that ends up working out to be much better interval training than I usually do; I've averaged higher TSS and IF on these type of rides than most of my normal rides. It was a little disheartening when some tri pros uploaded their times on top of my few KOMs, but I'm slowly getting some back by waiting for good wind conditions. Not sure if I'm supposed to feel guilty about that or not ;) Just glad that the really fast pros didn't upload their untouchable times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last night on a group ride I lost a KOM I previously had to another guy in our group who entered the segment on the back and ended on the front. I took a couple of hard pulls during the segment. This is basically like taking a few pulls when you have a teammate in the break, except in this case the teammate was me.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
but, there are plenty of 'legit' ways to game the system. getting a leadout for a KOM, waiting for a hurricane blowing in the right direction, strapping on the race wheels and a skin suit, etc

When someone grabs one of the more popular local KOMs, there is typically a little online interrogation that goes on in the comment section of their ride. They are pretty funny as people ask about all those "cheats". Most of the cheats don't have as big an impact on actual climb segments, but I think I owe a couple of my downhill/flat KOMs to good wind conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a frequent Strava user but I decided to use for a little while just to mess with some douche that was showing up to one of the group rides that I frequent. All he could talk about was his Strava results, the KOMs he was bagging, blah, blah, blah. Honestly, he's a faster rider than me and I would have had a hard time actually knocking him down the standings. But, I got so sick of his bragging that over the course of a month, I took my Garmin for several drives in my car and broke all of his Strava "records". I didn't go out and drive 50mph and blow them away. Instead, I drove just fast enough that the times/speeds were within the realm of possibility, but still just of reach for him. Pissed him off to no end. I don't see him around much anymore and I deleted the account anyways so I'm not sure if he's bragging about his success again.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
How does Strava prevent people from gaming the system? Couldn't you just take your Garmin with you in your car or motorcycle and win a KOM (obviously you would have to gauge it so it was not totally preposterous).

Is it totally on the honor system?

Bingo. It happens. There are sad little men (and women) the world over. They all pile onto the lap skipping, pull buoy carrying loser pile IMO.

It's just a fun little way to log workouts and get a little competitive juice flowing now and then when someone snags your KOM.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [bm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess who is a bigger douche then the guy talking about his strava results?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was funny, but to each his own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm going in right now and labelling every workout as "Easy spin, mountain bike"

You are on a roll today. Put down the aero helmet and pic up a microphone. Comedy needs you :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone should create a Strava challenge. See who can hunt the most KOMs in two weeks or something.
Since I started Strava if I go for a ride and don't come home with a KOM I feel like I completely failed, even if it is an easy spin like today.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava users crack me up [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Guess who is a bigger douche then the guy talking about his strava results?

+1
I was kinda hoping he was just joking and that he didn't really do that, but I guess not.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Someone should create a Strava challenge. See who can hunt the most KOMs in two weeks or something.
Since I started Strava if I go for a ride and don't come home with a KOM I feel like I completely failed, even if it is an easy spin like today.

So when you are planning your ride, what gets you more motivated, stealing some low hanging fruit KOM, or bumping your rank on some highly contested segment that you know you have no chance of KOMing?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

So when you are planning your ride, what gets you more motivated, stealing some low hanging fruit KOM, or bumping your rank on some highly contested segment that you know you have no chance of KOMing?

Low hanging fruit. Every day, and twice on Sunday.

I've done some segments I'd never even thought of riding, simply to nab an obscure local KOM. Ya never know for sure if you'll get it or not, so having to hammer your azz off anyway is always fun.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
jbank wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:

Low hanging fruit. Every day, and twice on Sunday.

I've done some segments I'd never even thought of riding, simply to nab an obscure local KOM. Ya never know for sure if you'll get it or not, so having to hammer your azz off anyway is always fun.

Nice. I like the low hanging fruit too, although what often happens is that someone else notices that I went cherry picking and then the battle begins. Part of the fun for me is trying to defend my "turf". The really fast guys I know don't seem to notice any of this; they KOM all over the place without even trying. I have to plot my course carefully and then turn myself inside out ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next