Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You raced up WF mtn and "got pummeled". So where is the satisfaction in setting a best time amongst random people that happen to upload a workout?

I've often applied this same line of reasoning to my racing. Pretty sure the last time I "lost" my AG was when Greg Billington showed up and pummeled me on an off-day at a tiny local tri, and I'm well aware that Billington and plenty of other ITU folks are out there, yet I still find some satisfaction in placing overall at races. I've realized you have to draw the line somewhere, and where you draw the line is entirely up to you and nobody else. I would be totally hopeless if I never gave myself a small pat on the back for climbing up on the podium at a local race which the Brownlees did not attend, but obviously still could have beaten me. Yes, they could have beaten me, but no, they weren't there. It's all in how you define winning I suppose. I think it's the same with Strava. There are around 8 pro triathletes in each state (not to mention tens, if not hundreds of 1's and 2's), each of whom could go out and destroy whatever these "segments" and KOM's are, yet there's probably only a fraction of them on Strava and it's up to you to decide whether or not it matters to you that you're slower than them whether or not they've got times up on Strava. Just something to consider...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
That Strava thing certainly explains those rude zombie cyclists out there that drive to the foot of climbs, take insane risks (like the guy in SF who killed a pedestrian) and are rude to others on the road.
De-Generation, I say.
But hey, I can accept that this is your life and not mine, gamers.
I don't understand most of what you're written but I don't think Strava created rude cyclists.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Users submit segments based on their rides. They mark the beginning and end. Once someone marks a segment, strava will track everyone's times on that segment.
There are "private" segments too if you just want to track your own times on a particular climb/loop/whatever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Is it any different than trying to be first up the hill or winning a sprint on a group ride?

I can pick a popular running route and sprint part of it. The fact that I might have sprinted faster than a Gold medalist did the day before on a warm up jog for that segment doesn't mean a lot.

It means you are awesome.
I am getting set to go out on a Strava whoring mission after I finish my swim and pick up a few things at Lowes.
I will report back about my dominance later this afternoon;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you suggest we use for bragging rights? lol
bragging rights are innately stupid, and most people know that and brag tounge in cheek, for fun.

styrrell wrote:
I see a big difference between trying for a PB on a ride or a part of a ride, racing people in your category and "racing" against people who don't even know they are being "beat" On the one hand people are saying its no big deal, but this thread is full of people that are obviously making a big effort, including protesting other peoples results as false and asking Strava to take them off the list, not to mention complaining that people may have gamed the system by wearing skinsuits or getting drafts.

Using Strava for personal satisfaction and training motivation Good, Using Strava for bragging rights Bizarre.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm jelly, I want to assault the veloway segment again but I got a 39k tt tomorrow.

tri_yoda wrote:
styrrell wrote:
Is it any different than trying to be first up the hill or winning a sprint on a group ride?

I can pick a popular running route and sprint part of it. The fact that I might have sprinted faster than a Gold medalist did the day before on a warm up jog for that segment doesn't mean a lot.

It means you are awesome.
I am getting set to go out on a Strava whoring mission after I finish my swim and pick up a few things at Lowes.
I will report back about my dominance later this afternoon;)

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robertl wrote:
"Just an easy spin" or "morning coffee ride" or "nice easy recovery ride"

meanwhile they PR everything and bag a few KOM's

When I first saw this ride on my feed, I couldn't help but think of this thread and laugh.

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two Cat 3 KOMs. I had to ride 30 miles to get to the first KOM, so it was a worthy ride. Especially when I got to the top and found out the descent on the backside was a dirt road.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previously I had been tied for the KOM of the local veloway loop, but my name always showed up second, so I had been planning an assault.

Well this morning someone stole our joint KOM by 2 seconds!

So, I threw on the http://www.view-speed.com/ skewer for the first time JUST NOW and TOOK IT BACK! Nipped another 4 seconds off the time and set a new ~6min power record. yessssssssssss

http://app.strava.com/segments/432701

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full race setup, or are you still holding back some?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done!! I love that he held the KOM for less than 4 hours.

I friggin love Strava!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
jbank wrote:
Full race setup, or are you still holding back some?

I am holding back SOME.

Not MUCH, lol

I have gone after a couple of KOMs in close to race setup (aero lid, race wheels), but only ones that are part of a local tri course, so I'm comparing apples to apples. I have my own arbitrary standards to uphold ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the veloway KOM's are belong to Jackmott!!

Nice. What was the NP?

You should get a tat now. To immortalize this achievement.
Like the glorious creation on the M.Dot tat thread, but with KOM instead of 140.6.

Do it!! DO IT NAUGH!!!!!! ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except now you are tied on Quattro vueltas, and your name shows up second in the list. Get it done.
Last edited by: MattAune: Jun 22, 12 9:28
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [robertl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one who had never even heard of Strava until this week's lawsuit?

I confess I downloaded the app and I'm likely to play with it a bit. Whether I get hooked or not remains to be seen. The one question I can't help but ask though is how anyone knows anyone's times are legit? What stops a guy (tool) from just driving up a climb with an iPhone in his car and taking the KOM status for every climb in the area?
Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just get a 3.0 sticker!

The route is too short to get a NP for it, but power output is highly variable there. Lots of not pedaling into the tight turns and power spiked up short, steep hills.

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
Except now you are tied on Quattro vueltas, and your name shows up second in the list. Get it done.

No, that one is problematic, the trees cause you to not get a reading in that segment 9 out of 10 times, especially when going fast. Not worth the risk.

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iron Buckeye wrote:
The one question I can't help but ask though is how anyone knows anyone's times are legit? What stops a guy (tool) from just driving up a climb with an iPhone in his car and taking the KOM status for every climb in the area?

You call them out on the internet and watch them try to replicate it in person =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. That's actually a better answer than I was expecting. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
No aero lids were used in this one. And no disc wheels or wheel covers!

Hmm, I think your slipping. In choosing which aero goodie to add to take back your KOM you chose an improved skewer. Unless this was carefully calculated to give just enough of an edge to keep ratcheting up the KOM while still holding something in reserve after you get topped again. Or maybe your going to claim that while you can corner on a TT bike, you can't corner on race wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just lost my neighborhood climb KOM to a Road pro who happened to be in town training. Might be time to get out the aero helmet.....

Quote Reply
Re: Strava fiends crack me up [Iron Buckeye] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can "flag" a ride or run you suspect has questionable data.
Doing so IMMEDIATELY removes said ride from any KOM leaderboards, until such time as a full investigation can be done. ***

I did this for an obviously bogus time going up Perkins on Bear Mountain - the KOM doode's speed was almost literally double that of the next fastest rider - who happened to be Pro CX stud Tim Johnson.
So, I felt pretty comfortable that it was BS, and flagged it as such.
;-)

*** Hmmm, where have I heard of something like that before - the sanction/penalty going into effect before the athlete in question even has a chance to defend themselves?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next