Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"People who stop you to ask for directions? "

Unless you are in the middle of a race, does it really bug you to help someone who is lost? That 15 seconds you have to stop and point them in the right direction isn't going to stop you from qualifying for Kona...think of yourself as an ambassador for whatever you are out there doing, running, cycling, walking the dog, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Main one I can add is the teenager singing as loud as he can on his headphones. Oh and its death metal. I'm pretty sure something is wrong with him, but it is a bit creepy.

Now the thing that bothers me is the large cyclist groups who think they own the trail and expect everyone to get off to the side for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Lukelzard and All,

https://www.theguardian.com/...ggers-dangerous-cars

Excerpt:

Not all villains wear Lycra – cars are literallykilling us
Arwa Mahdawi/Aug 11, 2017
Flip this into…LikeLeave a comment

Share on
‘Hogger joggers’ and mamils aren’t the only ones hurling us into the path of danger. There’s a bigger and more normalised culprit on our streets
There is – you may have noticed – a certain sort of middle-class, middle-aged man who decides he’s going to burn off the angst of advancing age through aggressive exercise. He’s going to do marathons and triathlons and so on; he’s going to muscle his way out of mortality.
Now, exercise is normally considered a healthy way of relieving stress and dealing with internal issues. However, some of these midlife fitness fanatics rage against the dying of the light just a little too hard and their rage runneth over. A recent well-publicised incident in London was perhaps an example of that. On Thursday, the Metropolitan police arrested a middle-aged man in Chelsea as part of an investigation into an incident in which a jogger appeared to knock a female pedestrian into the path of an oncoming bus.
Admittedly, this would be a rathern extreme example of middle-age runner rage. But, looking at the coverage it caused, one could be forgiven for thinking that it was symptomatic of a far greater problem. Namely, the scourge of egregious exercisers on city streets. Indeed, the past few days have seen non-stop huffing and puffing about how “hogger joggers” and “Lycra louts” are a blight on Britain. And despite the fact that no bikes were involved in the Putney bridge incident, some commentators have managed to spin the event into a denouncement of all things bike-related. On Friday, for example, Jan Moir at the Daily Mail went on a tirade about how “cyclists are the worst”, particularly the “middle-aged male cyclist”.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was waiting for this thread...

Bike/run path, frequented by cyclist. Steep sections where cyclist pass by super-fast thought me to always keep my right no matter what.

So I'm easily jogging downhill when a this jerk is charging uphill at full speed. He sees me, but he keeps his left and I keep my right until he is going to inevitably hit me, while my left side of the hill is completely empty for him to pass. I get to be the chicken and jump off the path, only to be shouted by the jerk who what was wrong with me...

Who is the asshole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The grouchy guy who rides his Segway to work, rain or shine, fully kitted out in appropriate weather protection and reflective gear. Every time I'm out, thinking I'm the only loon willing to run in this weather at this early hour, he goes toodling by in the opposite direction. This is in a quiet suburb and 5-6AM, so he must have a really long commute, made longer by his indirect path through town. It just baffles me. He *stands* to work. Is it fun? It doesn't look fun.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [trihugger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihugger wrote:
Was waiting for this thread...

Bike/run path, frequented by cyclist. Steep sections where cyclist pass by super-fast thought me to always keep my right no matter what.

So I'm easily jogging downhill when a this jerk is charging uphill at full speed. He sees me, but he keeps his left and I keep my right until he is going to inevitably hit me, while my left side of the hill is completely empty for him to pass. I get to be the chicken and jump off the path, only to be shouted by the jerk who what was wrong with me...

Who is the asshole?

depends on the country :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about countries where they stay to the left and walk upside down? Huh?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-)

USA
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a closed trail or sidewalk (i.e. no cars) I don't understand the people who run on the LEFT side,

There are trails where this is the way it is done, e.g. American River bike trail in Sacramento.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:
On a closed trail or sidewalk (i.e. no cars) I don't understand the people who run on the LEFT side,

There are trails where this is the way it is done, e.g. American River bike trail in Sacramento.

Could also be due to trail camber. Runners with ITBS prefer level surfaces. We have several trails that run along lakes and rivers. The side facing the water is usually cambered and the other side is level. So we get runners running on the level side both ways.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 11, 17 13:42
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it is fun to startle people. Apparently I am a fairly quiet runner, because I have started people that were just walking along (no headphones) when I say "Exuse me (find it works better than on the left)". I get a chuckle when they jump :-p
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trail near me you are supposed to walk/run around it in a figure 8 pattern one direction and bike around it in the opposite direction, so if somebody is running on the left they should not meet on coming walking/running traffic, but inherently people just go around it whatever direction they want and screw things up.

Agree though that I pretty much stay to the right unless I am passing somebody.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My breathing sounds like a train engine I think so they usually startle as second or two earlier. I usually yell on your left about 10 m out. But if I have passed 3 or 4 headphoners sometimes I give up and the next person has no headphones. Maybe you are nynja runner!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always wanted to take candid photos of the strange happenings on the Burke Gilman multi use trail here in Seattle and publish them in a satire/humor book. Just about every method of human powered transportation is represented.

The one that honestly frustrates me the most though: Weekend warriors in skin suits riding in their aerobars when the trail is packed with runners, walkers, the elderly, kids, dogs. Seriously? There are better places to train around here! These are the same people in SUVs you're going to face on the road on your commute to work and they're going to have chips on their shoulder towards cyclists. Because you almost ran over their kid/dog/mom on your glorious KOM conquest.

Ok all done :)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [triclimbski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triclimbski wrote:
I've always wanted to take candid photos of the strange happenings on the Burke Gilman multi use trail here in Seattle and publish them in a satire/humor book. Just about every method of human powered transportation is represented.

The one that honestly frustrates me the most though: Weekend warriors in skin suits riding in their aerobars when the trail is packed with runners, walkers, the elderly, kids, dogs. Seriously? There are better places to train around here! These are the same people in SUVs you're going to face on the road on your commute to work and they're going to have chips on their shoulder towards cyclists. Because you almost ran over their kid/dog/mom on your glorious KOM conquest.

Ok all done :)

Oh hell no. I see them too. Not many not often but they are there. So dumb. I ride on Sammamish River trail above posted speed limit.... but at 5 AM or at like 11 AM on weekdays when there's no one there. If there is someone coming up in the distance then slow down to pass then get on the gas again. Swerving through crowds on a trail has a higher chance of a crash than riding on roads.

Edit: besides BG pavement is so uprooted in so many places it is embarrassing. Very uncomfortable ride, and I'd never take my race bike or nice wheels out there. It's a trail for a beater commute bike to take out of town guests around the city without driving.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 11, 17 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always encounter the people who see me a quarter mile away, we are on opposite sides of the sidewalk/path and slowly merge into my side like we have some sort of magnet. Always leaves me last second switching sides of the path to avoid them.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The small group of guys doing their long run somewhere in the 6:00-7:00 mile range, refusing to give way in the early-ish morning and running a lady with a stroller off the path as they came up behind her.
Last edited by: stinkycheese: Aug 11, 17 17:34
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [stinkycheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of years ago I was riding on the bike path well after dark. On this particular bike path there is a short wooden bridge that goes over a small stream. On the other side of the bridge is a bench. There is also a curve before the bridge so your light is not really visible from the bench until you are on the bridge. Also when you come onto the wooden bridge it is extremely loud.

Anyway I came onto the bridge at around 20 mph and the bridge made its usual loud rumbling noise and I saw form pop up from a position facing the bench, I could see that another form was sitting on the bench. Being a little slow mentally I was well by before I realized that I had interrupted a girl playing a tune on her boyfriends skin flute.

Ever since then I was glad she did obviously not have a strong bite reflex when startled. I also have felt bad because you know he never talked her into finishing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Lukelzard and All,

https://www.outsideonline.com/...311/politics-passing

Excerpt:

"How to alert walkers, hikers, and runners to your presence—and why "On your left!" needs to die, already
There is a fundamental truth in cycling, and it is this:

When riding on a trail, it’s virtually impossible to pass a walker, runner, or hiker from behind without scaring the living shit out of them.

This puts us in something of a bind. After all, the cyclist-pedestrian relationship is a fragile one, and in some communities our trail access hangs in the balance. However, what are we supposed to do when our very presence is all it takes to frighten people out of their shoes?

No doubt this has been an issue since the very first velocipedist called out, “Ahoy!” And over the years our fair warning cry has evolved thusly:
“On your left!”

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not quite sure if this belongs to this "foot path" thread or is there a corresponding "bicycle path" thread?

Anyway, the path (bicycle path and next to it a foot path) goes in a park under a bridge, and I always cycle or run there going to or returning from work.

In the evening there is always (at least when I pass) a guy with a trombone. Only in winter. Does not look homeless, he is normally dressed. You hear him of course at least 100m before. If he plays. Sometimes he just steps around like he waits for a bus. I'm not an expert, but he doesn't seem to make much progress with his music, although he is there already for years.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [SRT-4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRT-4 wrote:
Ever since then I was glad she did obviously not have a strong bite reflex when startled.

Makes me think of a joke about a girl who had asked how to play on her boyfriends' skin flute. She was advised to say "Honolulu".
It went wrong however, since in the heat of the moment she had forgotten the name of the town and said instead "Caracas".
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I'm not quite sure if this belongs to this "foot path" thread or is there a corresponding "bicycle path" thread?

Anyway, the path (bicycle path and next to it a foot path) goes in a park under a bridge, and I always cycle or run there going to or returning from work.

In the evening there is always (at least when I pass) a guy with a trombone. Only in winter. Does not look homeless, he is normally dressed. You hear him of course at least 100m before. If he plays. Sometimes he just steps around like he waits for a bus. I'm not an expert, but he doesn't seem to make much progress with his music, although he is there already for years.

Maybe his wife was frustrated by his lack of progress and told him to find some place else to play because she didn't want to hear it at home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have some people that ride side by side on their ElliptiGO and block the entire path and refuse to move over. I think one is even in the tri club so no excuse =/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use multi-use paths whenever I can on my bike commute.
I always ride slow and safe and ding my bell when passing and respect other users.
Few nights ago I was riding to the pool, was doing maybe 8 mph. I passed this lady, who was doing like 6mph on her mtb.
Few minutes later she is pursuing me waving a flashlight in her hand, and yelling "I know what you did there! You gangster!"
She passed me, slalomed in front of me for a while, still yelling, then stopped, ripped her earbuds out and yelled:

"C'mon, b*tch, you wanna get it on?"

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cruisin for a bruisin :>
Quote Reply

Prev Next