Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Strange denizens of the foot path.
Quote | Reply
Maybe that lady didn't deserve to be pushed in front of the bus, but let's be honest; how many times have you been tempted to clatter someone? It can't be just me?

Dog walkers with long leads.
People who stop you to ask for directions?
People who walk three abreast taking up the whole path who seem surprised when the guy in neon yellow has to full on stop before they realise they're blocking.
New one tonight - and I'm quite sure it was intentional... blowing a massive vape cloud into my path. 🤢
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [LukeIzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had a lady tell me "your welcome" as I road in the dirt to avoid her and her dog on a long lease.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Early in the morning last week, as I was running to the track on the MUP in front of my neighborhood, I had a shirtless meathead in front of me. This dude is built like a brickhouse. As I am catching up to him, we come across a couple walking their little pocket dogs on longer leashes. The couple notices us coming & pulls the dogs in close. Pocket dog #1 starts barking at meathead. Meathead then stops in his tracks, completely freaked out by the 6 ounces of barking fur. Not expecting him to completely stop, I run right into the back of him. Remember, he is shirtless and sweaty. So now I am covered in meathead's sweat as he stands there frozen in fear, and I am just getting my workout started.

It reminded me that keeping a safe distance is not just for when you are driving your car.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite was some mormons trying to stop me and proselytize while I was in the middle of a lunch-time jog.

Admittedly I wasn't pushing myself too much (9 min/mile pace, maybe?), but still -- that's just silly. Don't I look a little busy?
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dog size is inversely proportional to lead length.

I did once pretend my GPS watch was video enabled when I saw someone shirking their shit-lifting responsibilities. So there is that. 😂
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two dudes mid to late 20s running 6 min/mile. They looked like they could lay down a sub 3 hour marathon no problem. They obviously run a lot.

Anyway they were running side by side in the middle of the trail. I came up behind them going 25 mph. This is a little known and usually deserted trail so got no problems going fast. I yelled on your left and they looked over their shoulder and saw me with probably good 5 seconds of lead time. The right guy stayed where he was (more or less in the middle) and the left guy didn't move either until he looked at me again with a second to spare and awkwardly moved left just as I was on top of them. Had to hit the brakes swerve and thread the needle between him and the fence to avoid all three of us going down.

The only reason this wasn't a crash is that these sort of encounters happen all the time and I'm prepared to get out of it no matter what the other party does. Just really surprising that these two didn't know what to do. That was properly strange.
Last edited by: Dilbert: Aug 10, 17 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get annoyed by the people who are walking around the walking path (Running and Biking are allowed), and smoke. First thought is there is an ordinance against it, so it is illegal on the property the path is on, also the point it to be healthy, not blacken a lung.

Oh and if you comment they say sorry then just keep on doing it. Ran past somebody that did that the other night.
Last edited by: tyme: Aug 10, 17 15:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not strange denizens, but more of an annoyance - people who let their dog off leash when the sign clearly says "dogs must be on leash"

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a scene fragment from some old MASH episode that goes like this:

Hot Lips: "...and this is Major Burns, on my left..."
Hawkeye: "on your left what?"

Hawkeye was joking, but I've also run into plenty of folks who aren't and as far as I can tell are genuinely confused by what I mean by "on your left". I'm now less surprised by this if they are, for example, an elderly couple out with walkers or young kids who might not have heard the term but for runners to not have heard this is a bit more unexpected.

On the other hand, an old custom that I was taught is that cross country skiers (specifically experienced classic/track skiers) yell "Track" as they come up behind a slower skier in the track ahead of them, but most casual weekend I'm-out-for-a-hike-on-skis skiers don't know what that means either, so maybe your runners have never been around cyclists very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclists travelling way too fast, treating the path as if it was a raceway and not a multiple-use trail with associated hazards of pedestrians, dogs and children.. tempted to carry a bike pump just to stick in their spokes..
joking not joking
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old people and children get a bye ball.

I think the "on your left/right" call (depending on which side of the road you drive on) make sense to 95 % of people regardless of their sporting endeavours.

The ones who mess it up are the same people who think the overtaking lane is just another lane.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
not strange denizens, but more of an annoyance - people who let their dog off leash when the sign clearly says "dogs must be on leash"
This!!! Had a big dog charge down the trail and jump on me once. The owner catches up and says "he's friendly". Uhhhh, I'd hope so!!!

Not an annoyance but a denizen. I saw a couple hiking while pushing their baby jogger on rocky/rooty single track. I really wonder if the kid is enjoying the ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cute little 4 year old girl pedaling like a maniac making airplane sounds who calls out "ON YOUR LEFT!" as she whizzes by on your right (and looks back to see if you are watching her). She has bike handling skills, I'll give her that.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a closed trail or sidewalk (i.e. no cars) I don't understand the people who run on the LEFT side, in the US. I, like most people, run on the right side and occasionally have to jump out of the way of these folks who are dead-set on running into oncoming foot traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:

my usual patch has loads of meadows where dogs can play and blow off steam -- unfortunately some owners think it's fine on the trails as well, so dogs bolting out from the underbrush in chase mode happens all the time.

No clue that a dog barrelling around at top speed isn't a hazard.

Also, people with leads fully extended, face down in the phone. Navigating should be a joint effort.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LukeIzard wrote:
Old people and children get a bye ball.

I think the "on your left/right" call (depending on which side of the road you drive on) make sense to 95 % of people regardless of their sporting endeavours.

The ones who mess it up are the same people who think the overtaking lane is just another lane.

On your left can confuse people IMO. I always go with "Runner Back" or "Bike back" really loud way ahead of time. They always GTFO of the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two people on motorized wheelchairs two abreast that don't move over when you are coming in the other direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It always amazes me how 2 people manage to block a 3 meters width footpath... and not make way when someone approaches form the opposite direction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are familiar with the paths in the Woodlands where IMTX course is run, you know that a good bit of the trails are cut through thick trees and bushes. Sometimes I have to run at night and it's obviously very dark, especially on those sections of the trails. I run with a head lamp. It's about 10 at night last summer and I'm running. I typically might pass one or two people at that time of night, and they have flashlights as well so coming up on anyone suddenly can be a surprise. Well, I come up on a kid (12-13) in full camo, with a skull bandana covering his face. He's on a bike just parked in the wooded area of the trail. I don't see him until I'm 25 yards or so away him and he gets illuminated by his phone. Freaked me out. Turns out someone else called the cops about it (wife saw it all over the neighborhood facebook). Kid was just playing pokemon go, haha.

Also had a lady scream at me to "use my bell" on my bike one day. I was riding just fast enough to not fall down (bonked hard on a ride and used the multi-use path to get home). We made eye contact a good 100 yards before I got to her. She moved off the trail with her dog probably 50 yards before I got to her, seemingly in a cordial manner. I was telling her good morning before she started to yell. Apparently, I needed to still ring my non-existent bell.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Apparently, I needed to still ring my non-existent bell.

so what color bell did ya get?
;-)

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [pookie87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run on the canal in Indy occasionally (only occasionally, because of the hassle it has become), and these are rampant.

Additionally:

- Groups of 3-4 people or more all walking abreast of one another
- Groups of 2 or more on bikes riding leisurely abreast
- Segway tour groups blocking the path
- Other runners who don't even pretend to acknowledge your courteous attempt to be polite and wave
- Dog walkers with the extend-a-leash that don't pull their dog close when others approach
- The kids do get a pass, but their parents don't. Keep your 3-year old out from under my feet, please. I'm trying to avoid him/her, but I can only do so much.

Brenden Macy
Sports & Entertainment Attorney
I am Drive. I am Grit. I am Determination.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The folks who can't hear you because they are listening to music with earbuds. Then they have a big startle response when you pass them.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other runners that dont knowledge my slight hand gesture/wave always bugs me for some reason. We're trying to build a society here people.
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And adults riding bikes on the freaking sidewalk. Like most of you probably do - I totally play chicken with them and wait to see who is going to move over first. (Obviously kids on the sidewalk is fine - but grown adults shown get on the damn shoulder or use a different road FFS)
Quote Reply
Re: Strange denizens of the foot path. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
KG6 wrote:
Apparently, I needed to still ring my non-existent bell.

so what color bell did ya get?
;-)

Hmm what if, instead of yelling on your left, we make a ding-a-ding-ding sound like a bell? Hmmmm?
Quote Reply

Prev Next