Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They mention "this letter" twice. What / Where / When / How do we get "this letter"?

Edit: In the story. Pay attention, self.
Last edited by: Naps a lot: Mar 26, 15 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2x!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [Naps a lot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can download it within our story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Already got a call from my LBS this morning. I think they were surprised when I answered the call with, yeah let me guess, Shiv recall? They laughed.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [RyuTan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I see it new cables needs to be installed when doing the switch to the low stack solution.

Is that correct?

(I might the the opportunity to switch to a new RD and shifters)

-------
Last edited by: perplex: Mar 26, 15 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [perplex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perplex wrote:
As I see it new cables needs to be installed when doing the switch to the low stack solution.

Is that correct?

(I might the the opportunity to switch to a new RD and shifters)

I looked at the low stack kit last year and ended up going with a negative stem instead. It does require recabling (since the cables run through the inside of the existing extensions. It's also heavier and much less adjustable....but less likely to crash you.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how the fix using the low stack clamps will accommodate pad setback (other than the limited hole options on the pads themselves)?

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may not accommodate every riders pad position. When mine was taken care of at IMNZ they had to replace the base bar with a Profile bar as using the low stack clamp wouldn't allow them to replicate my pad position - I have the pads in front of the clamp. With that done, my position was unchanged.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickey wrote:
It may not accommodate every riders pad position. When mine was taken care of at IMNZ they had to replace the base bar with a Profile bar as using the low stack clamp wouldn't allow them to replicate my pad position - I have the pads in front of the clamp. With that done, my position was unchanged.

How did they get the Shiv low stack clamp to attach to the Profile basebar? Did they have to go with new extensions too?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the profile bar they don't have to use the low stack clamp option. My original extensions are used uncut in what I assume are the standard Profile clamps.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [mickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a SHIV Pro Race . . . only to have the 'stop sale' go into effect. My LBS has no information (i.e., zero) about the recall which is quite frustrating. Welcome any information / pictures / schematics on the proposed solution that I can forward to my LBS to move this process along.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [swiss tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swiss tri wrote:
Just bought a SHIV Pro Race . . . only to have the 'stop sale' go into effect. My LBS has no information (i.e., zero) about the recall which is quite frustrating. Welcome any information / pictures / schematics on the proposed solution that I can forward to my LBS to move this process along.

Contact Specialized directly, they will make it right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
mickey wrote:

How did they get the Shiv low stack clamp to attach to the Profile basebar? Did they have to go with new extensions too?

The low stack clamps would be unique to the Specialized base bar, I can't imagine them working with another bar unless there is some kind of standard there. The low stack clamps replace the entire "pivot" assembly and attach just like that assembly with bolts from below. You can use the same spacers to adjust height. The pad height is 19mm lower compared to the pivot assembly, so you'd need to add one of the big (20mm) spacers to replicate your old stack height. If you had a bike with the carbon bars, it probably came with a complete set of spacers and screws. If you have a bike with aluminum bars, I think they only came with a couple spacers, so I assume specialized is probably scrambling to get those parts also since everyone should need to add the 20mm spacer.

The pads fasten onto the top of the low stack clamps with the same adjustment positions via bolt placement, but it does not provide the ability to adjust the "rotational" angle since the pads are attached flat to the top of the clamps rather than with a clamp to the extensions.

The extensions need to be cut way down because they don't "pass through" the low stack clamps. The extensions terminate within the clamp and the clamp has a small hole in the rear for cable mounting. The install requires re-cabling the shifters.

The setup is pretty solid and a much safer design from my perspective. I always thought the original design was flawed. One bolt/wedge trying to clamp down a long extension was never a good idea. My only problem with the new setup is that you can no longer angle your extensions up/down independent of your base bar. I like mine angled up a bit, but I don't want my base bar angled up. I may ask my LBS to look into other extension options.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [swiss tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically they are swapping in the Low Stack aerobar mount as a replacement for the recalled parts.

Details (including images, and the $100 credit):

http://www.bicycling.com/...ues-voluntary-recall

http://www.specialized.com/...pport/safety-notices

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lbs says parts are not available until May due to lack of supply. Is this what everyone is hearing?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My lbs does not have it in stock but is hoping to have it in next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shop is saying they'll have the parts next week as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [jaycutler24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized told me they would be shipping out 500 replacement kits per week. Wonder how many Shivs are out there?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My store said next week as well. I tried to get them to just order the part because I don't like other people working on my bike, but they said that they have to do it. Now I don't have my tri bike for a week
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized recalls Shiv Tri aerobars [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
Specialized told me they would be shipping out 500 replacement kits per week. Wonder how many Shivs are out there?

Not just Shivs. My 2012 Transition has the hydro-formed bars that were installed by the LBS at time of purchase. I didn't like the stock bars and white tape, I needed/wanted Ski-Bends.

That LBS is telling me they are calling every Monday and so far no date on when they will have the repair kit. They are also telling me not to worry, just don't abuse the bars and I will be fine.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:

http://velonews.competitor.com/...300-aero-bars_364617

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more question. Is Specialized sending new bar tape with the new bars?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They aren't sending new bars, you will use your existing extensions.
Quote Reply

Prev Next