Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts..
Quote | Reply
Some sound science now on how sitting all day hurts your strives for health gains:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-much-does-sitting-negate-your-workout-benefits
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [Zippy303] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work freelance and switch job locales by the month. I've been close to pulling the trigger on this...especially since it can hold 2 monitors: http://www.varidesk.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based upon some quick math and the fact that my job requires much sitting in front of a PC, I have figured relative to a pro triathlete who likely isn't required to sit as much as me, my actual "sitting-adjusted-fitness-level" is off the charts. When I add back in all the lost 8%'s, I actually won Kona last year.

This is great. We already have age group waves. Now we can have age-group-sitting-time waves.

Somebody please pass the eggs and red wine. Wait, are they good for me or bad for me? I can never remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. Science for the fatty masses can't be directly used on triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:
Some sound science now on how sitting all day hurts your strives for health gains:

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/how-much-does-sitting-negate-your-workout-benefits

So, why do the TdF guys say "sit if you can and lie down whenever you can"??? And why do serious HS and college swimmers take naps once or even twice a day, when they can??? Why does Andy Potts sleep 11-12 hrs/night??? Because all of the above are frigging completely exhausted from 4 to 6 hrs of training/racing per day, that's why. This "sitting is bad for you" may be be true for someone whose total workout load is 1.5 hr/wk, but not for most serious athletes.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what does lying down have to do with sitting?

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:

Lying down is more restful than sitting, but sitting beats standing up for hours at a time, and even if you walk a lot rather than sitting, I don't see that walking is going to improve the running abilities of anyone who runs very much. When I was in grad school I did a lot of lab work and hence stood up a lot, and walked some around the lab, but mostly I stood a lot. I was always quite happy to be able to sit down. I can see how sitting a lot is bad for people who don't train very much but for most ST-ers I just do not see that sitting is an issue.

Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Lying down is more restful than sitting, but sitting beats standing up for hours at a time... I just do not see that sitting is an issue.

I don't think you understand the issue. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's there.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Lying down is more restful than sitting, but sitting beats standing up for hours at a time... I just do not see that sitting is an issue.

I don't think you understand the issue. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's there.

I understand what this study is saying but I just don't believe it. Just because someone does a study that allegedly finds some problem, does not mean that said problem actually exists. I've read 1000s of studies in detail, so I fully grasp how easy it is to find what you're looking for in any given study:)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
N=1 here so take it for what it us worth.

I am a dentist. I sat all day to work. 5 years ago I injured my groin and found that 'skating' the wheeled chair was keeping Ithe injury from healing. I decided to stand instead.

5 years later i never sit at work. I sit for a total of maybe 1 hr per day....eating, writing reports. Otherwise I stand or lean....I have no desire to sit. I find standing more comfortable and I find that I do have fewer nagging injuries.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy303 wrote:

Actually, your post title is wrong as the study found that each hour of sitting allegedly subtracts 8% from an hour workout, i.e. 10 hrs sitting takes out 80% of an hour workout, 40% of a 2-hr workout, 20% of a 3-hr, etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
but sitting beats standing up for hours at a time, and even if you walk a lot rather than sitting, I don't see that walking is going to improve the running abilities of anyone who runs very much.

Yes I found in my previous career which consisted of standing for all of an 8-10 hour shift every day (except for the required 30 minute break) that my legs were always tired. I also tried every possible type of shoe to keep my feet from hurting and never succeeded. I was much younger then and my training load was 50% less than what it is now so I can't imagine doing that job today. I am happy to have a desk job these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure if you are running 10 miles a week.

Start swimming 4 days, biking 5 days and running 7 days a week and see how much you want to stand all day when you don't have to.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My N=1 experience:
If I sit for longer uninterupted periods during work, my legs look & feel somewhat bloated or swollen in the evening. I think it is a circulation issue.
This is especially true if I have a tough workout or race and sit a lot the following day.

Incidentally, what helped me figure out the connection between long uninterrupted sitting and sore/swollen legs is the inactivity alerts on my Polar V800.
It's a shame that (for now) these alerts don't come on the watch in real-time, but instead you just see them on the web-platform when syncing at the end of the day (when its too late)...

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Jul 25, 14 4:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand most of my day so whats my excuse for being slow?

To me I think having a physical job has it's own pro's and con's as well. Some days I don't even want to do my workout due to heat and lethargy after a hard work day... I do them anyway but wonder how I would have felt if I had been sitting at a desk in the AC like some of my coworkers...

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sit at a desk for about 5-6 hrs a day and take a walk around the office every hour, but I find it is good recovery from run/bike workouts in the morning. I couldn't imagine standing at my desk the whole day after running a 16 miler or doing hard intervals on the bike in the morning. I don't think this applies to those who exercise 10+ hours a week.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Sure if you are running 10 miles a week.

Start swimming 4 days, biking 5 days and running 7 days a week and see how much you want to stand all day when you don't have to.

jaretj

Testify, brother!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nevertheless, the scientists conclude that associations between prolonged sedentary time and cardiometabolic biomarkers is markedly less pronounced when fitness is a positive factor, but note that although their findings suggest a need to encourage achieving higher levels of fitness through meeting physical activity guidelines to decrease metabolic risk, further exploration of the effects of sedentary behavior on cardiometabolic risk is warranted in cohorts with available fitness data, but provisionally their findings underscore the need to encourage achieving higher fitness levels through meeting physical activity guidelines to decrease disease risk factors.

I read this to be saying that if you are very fit, sitting when you are not working out is likely not much of a problem, but was not really covered by this study. But, the study definitely supports the conclusion that If you are a couch potato who thinks walking around the block in the evening is going to make up for sitting behind a desk all day, think again.

I'm going to wait for more data before I stop sitting down after my workouts ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew a guy that was a utility meter reader. Guess what... he always performed better on Sunday races than Sat. because he was off his feet an extra 24 hours.

Training load and recovery are not mutually exclusive. The study won't apply to those training near the limits of their capacity where recovery becomes more and more critical.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another version of this article was in August, 2013 Runners World "Why Sitting Is The New Smoking".
http://www.runnersworld.com/...ing-even-for-runners

I bought a Gaiam Balance Ball Chair
http://www.amazon.com/...m+balance+ball+chair
in response and have used it ever since.

I work in IT development so sitting is part of the job, however I am fidgety so I get up frequently, which they say is a good thing.

That 8% figure is depressing as I sat 8+ hours yesterday and ran 3 miles with the dog so effectively I had -64% of an hour for sitting and +40% of an hour for running with the dog so I would have been better off standing eating bon bons all day.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Nevertheless, the scientists conclude that associations between prolonged sedentary time and cardiometabolic biomarkers is markedly less pronounced when fitness is a positive factor, but note that although their findings suggest a need to encourage achieving higher levels of fitness through meeting physical activity guidelines to decrease metabolic risk, further exploration of the effects of sedentary behavior on cardiometabolic risk is warranted in cohorts with available fitness data, but provisionally their findings underscore the need to encourage achieving higher fitness levels through meeting physical activity guidelines to decrease disease risk factors.

I read this to be saying that if you are very fit, sitting when you are not working out is likely not much of a problem, but was not really covered by this study. But, the study definitely supports the conclusion that If you are a couch potato who thinks walking around the block in the evening is going to make up for sitting behind a desk all day, think again.

I'm going to wait for more data before I stop sitting down after my workouts ;-)

If your training load is minimal, than additional load, more importantly, more weight bearing time.... is more important than rest. Just standing for a couch potato is the equivalent of a easy spin or a short easy run between key workouts. Hell, just standing up out a a chair is probably equivalent to a 30s hill sprint. You ever head a fat person huff and puff just getting up from the table at Pizza Hut? Damn... I'd love to see the HR data on that. Yes sir... I pushed it right to threshold on that one. Its just another reason to avoid chains like that. Very sad really, very sad.... and it could easily be any of us without the right life experiences and motivation.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to formulate how much the two rest days during the TdF allegedly takes away from the athletes estimated 90 hours of exercise but then the math got too complicated and I decided to can it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Jul 25, 14 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
I work freelance and switch job locales by the month. I've been close to pulling the trigger on this...especially since it can hold 2 monitors:http://www.varidesk.com

I used a standing desk all last year while training for long course. My legs were constantly sore from all the volume along w/ being on my feet all day. This year I've been sitting again, and i'm able to do more volume w/ less soreness.

If you've never used one before, be prepared to be in a decent amount of pain for the first month or so. Some people I work with bought a drafting chair, but then ended up sitting in it more often than standing. YMMV.

"Sweep the leg...Do you have a problem with that?" - John Kreese
Last edited by: CobraKai Triguy: Jul 25, 14 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Sitting all day...subtract 8% from your workouts.. [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you notice any improvement in posture with this? I sit most of the day but periodically get up and sometimes get my run in mid-day. I have pretty bad posture sitting at my desk. For whatever reason I find myself hanging off the front of my chair "on the rivet" most of the time and usually with a rounded back.

linhardt wrote:
I bought a Gaiam Balance Ball Chair
http://www.amazon.com/...m+balance+ball+chair
in response and have used it ever since.
Quote Reply

Prev Next