Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13
Quote | Reply
Apologies if there has already been a thread on this topic. I couldn't find one.

What are the thoughts on this? I saw a lot of mental gymnastics going on on Twitter regarding this.

If you are anti Bahrain 13 and pro Tri Equal what do you think?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just going out to Costco for some popcorn....

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't bother. Nobody wants to touch this one for some reason.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Andrewmc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is too bad. I wonder, had Sara Gross lived in the early 1900s in the United States, if she would have been against women's suffrage. I suspect she would have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a worthless debate that's been hashed out before on ST.

Perhaps Sara's bio (from her website) might provide people with some insight as to her motivations:

Born:
March 26th 1976 in Sarnia Ontario Canada

Grew Up:
Kitchener, Ontario and Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Education:
Dollar Academy, Scotland (Highschool) Queens University, Canada (BA and MA) The University of Edinburgh (PhD) In June 2006, Sara graduated from Edinburgh University with a PhD in Ancient History and Religion. Sara's dissertation was in the field of women's history. She analyzed the methodology of women's history, specifically in relation to women in the first two centuries. Sara is passionate about the need to make sure that women figure as often and as highly as men on the pages of our history textbooks.

Sporting History:
Growing up in Canada Sara played a number of team sports, her favorite being soccer (or football for the British crowd). At one stage she even played on 3 teams at once, practicing every morning and evening with matches up to five times a week. After moving to the Middle East with her family in 1991, Sara took up individual sports including running and swimming. Sara swam competitively in University but claims she was never very fast. She was also a recreational runner for 10 years before taking up triathlon. After spectating at the K-town Tri in Kingston Ontario in 1999, Sara bought a bike and started training for her first triathlon.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Jan 19, 16 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Sara. While I might not agree with everything she says or writes, I see what she's trying to do and can applaud her for that.

However, like you said, I fall into the mental gymnastics on this one. This seems to go completely against character. Like John Rocker signing up with the Mets.

*edit* Bio does make some sense into this... still awkward in my book.
Last edited by: lordhong: Jan 19, 16 8:19
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:

Are you trying to say that some of our debates on here are worthwhile?

Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's her take. Makes me wonder what she thinks of OJ Simpson.

Quote:
First of all, I strongly believe that allegations are allegations and that there is no way that myself or TriEqual or anyone else can condemn someone whom the courts have not. I will leave justice to the justice system and allow my own impression of His Highness to be formed when I meet him.

http://www.witsup.com/...e-13-team-heres-why/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Are you trying to say that some of our debates on here are worthwhile?

My bad. They are all worthless. Continue. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or bill Cosby. ......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm assuming this statement is in reference to Macca? I wasn't thinking about that. Just that generally speaking, women rights aren't a priority in the Middle East - which kinda goes against what Sara is preaching.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That article is awesome. I don't even know where to start with the moral relativism but this really tickled me:

"In the end I can’t avoid what I know is right because individuals might not understand what I’m trying to do."

Paraphrasing - if you don't understand my reasons you'require idiots. Sub-text "they offered me a deal I couldn't say no to"

To parephrase Clive Stafford Smith "I explained to them the meaning of equality and they explained to me the power of cash"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Quote:
First of all, I strongly believe that allegations are allegations and that there is no way that myself or TriEqual or anyone else can condemn someone whom the courts have not. I will leave justice to the justice system and allow my own impression of His Highness to be formed when I meet him.

http://www.witsup.com/...e-13-team-heres-why/

LOL. Let's not mention that the "justice system" in Bahrain is controlled by "His Highness's" family... I'm sure it can be counted on to fairly and blindly pursue justice when the alleged criminal is a member of the royal family. To put so much passion into the 50Q and characterizing it as a terrible injustice to women, but to so easily dismiss the issues of women's rights in Bahrain when they want to give you a paycheck requires some really deep sand to bury your head in. Or just outright hypocrisy.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Gah. I was really trying to buy into her argument. I was ready to be convinced by a change-from-within vs. isolate-and-shame approach. She's been well-spoken in the past. But I cringe at "leave justice to the justice system." Many of the highest-ranking members of the Bahraini justice system are members of the royal family, with predictable results in matters related to the royal family. The state fundamentally lacks the concept of an independent judiciary. And that's ignoring the whole Sharia side of the courts, which is a whole other popcorn issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said, pretty much sums up my thoughts. Not that she'd care, but I lost a lot of respect for Sara here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion is this article has a very weird vibe. In the end I feel like it's a press release posing as an article trying to make some sort of conflict/stand/news angle on what really is just a sound bite or a tweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What if you're pro Bahrain 13 and anti TriEqual?
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Gah. I was really trying to buy into her argument. I was ready to be convinced by a change-from-within vs. isolate-and-shame approach. She's been well-spoken in the past. But I cringe at "leave justice to the justice system." Many of the highest-ranking members of the Bahraini justice system are members of the royal family, with predictable results in matters related to the royal family. The state fundamentally lacks the concept of an independent judiciary. And that's ignoring the whole Sharia side of the courts, which is a whole other popcorn issue.

I was pretty sold by her argument that there are lots of really bad thing that have happened in history and lots that are happening right now, really it is the West's fault, and she can not solve it, so lets just ignore it and talk about triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you sold by her argument that the court has not found HRH guilty so we should just ignore it?

Quote Reply
Post deleted by cinc [ In reply to ]
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [Miamiamy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other thing that I'm not sure has been explicitly pointed out is related to this quote:

"My contract is a little different to the other athletes’ in that it has a longer list of media requirements. I still get to race as part of the team but there is less emphasis on performance. Instead, I will focus some of my energy on writing and other media work "

It seem logical that they want to improve their reputation when it comes to human rights (heck that is the whole reason they named the team Bahrain 13 in the first place) so they say, "Hey! if we can get the president of TriEqual to join the team and get her to talk a lot about the great work we are doing for women in Bahrain all the haters will have a hard time arguing against her!"

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

LOL. Let's not mention that the "justice system" in Bahrain is controlled by "His Highness's" family... I'm sure it can be counted on to fairly and blindly pursue justice when the alleged criminal is a member of the royal family. To put so much passion into the 50Q and characterizing it as a terrible injustice to women, but to so easily dismiss the issues of women's rights in Bahrain when they want to give you a paycheck requires some really deep sand to bury your head in. Or just outright hypocrisy.

Lost all respect for Gross. Maybe I'm being a bit simplistic here but it seems she threw away her values when it comes the TriEqual stuff in order to make a buck to fund her career.

That's great and all but the hypocrisy is stunning. She's going to really regret this decision when all is said and done.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
She's going to really regret this decision when all is said and done.

I doubt it.

Quote Reply
Re: Sara Gross joins Bahrain 13 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just in:

Sue Aqilla

As a co-founder of TriEqual I resigned on 1/12/16. I believe equality is a human rights issue. You can't advocate for one without the other.

Last edited by: BLeP: Jan 19, 16 13:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next