Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to give a quick shout-out to Josh. Found myself in a bit of situation last night as I was gluing on a new front tire for Racine. The valve externder that I had bought was too short and I didn't want to use the old valve extender that was on there (didn't have the valve at the top).

Ordered new extenders last night and als sent him a PM. Josh called me this AM to review my options and got me squared away.

Thanks, Josh. Mucho appreciated!!!

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Scott, I assume that the gasket is entirely outside of the rim, but can you post a pic to give me an idea of where.

I can guarantee that the stem sealing will improve, but that might not be the issue with your latex tube..they all bleed air, but some worse than others. For our Roubaix preparations with Cancellara and CSC all those years ago we did bleed-down testing on about 50 tires and rated individual tires in psi lost per hour, I can't remember the numbers exactly, but the range went from roughly 1/2psi per hour to 2 or 3 per hour.. Using a sealant helps, we had great luck with the CafeLatex from my good friends at Effeto Mariposa which makes a nice foam in the tire and reduced all of the tire leakdowns quite a bit.

I made a quick measurement after installing the extender last night and found about 10mm of gasket above the rim. If my math is right, that leaves 4mm inside the rim. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Speaking of sealant, I had trouble getting mine (Flat Attack) through the valve core and extender. I gave up, figuring the intersection of the core and extender was to narrow for the thick liquid. Any recommendations for that issue, other than unwinding the install and going directly into the core?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Power13! I'm happy we could help! I think we've all been in that pinch before, so we do what we can to help.

The thru hole in the RVC extension is as large as it can be and still have ample wall thickness in the thread interface where it meets the valve..which is smaller than the thru hole in the valve. Either way though, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting sealant through it unless the sealant has large fibers or particulates in it..I'm not familiar with flat attack. I use Effetto Mariposa Café Latex with very good results on mine.

I'll buy some Flat Attack and see what's in it. Thanks for the info.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
joshatsilca wrote:
Scott, I assume that the gasket is entirely outside of the rim, but can you post a pic to give me an idea of where.

I can guarantee that the stem sealing will improve, but that might not be the issue with your latex tube..they all bleed air, but some worse than others. For our Roubaix preparations with Cancellara and CSC all those years ago we did bleed-down testing on about 50 tires and rated individual tires in psi lost per hour, I can't remember the numbers exactly, but the range went from roughly 1/2psi per hour to 2 or 3 per hour.. Using a sealant helps, we had great luck with the CafeLatex from my good friends at Effeto Mariposa which makes a nice foam in the tire and reduced all of the tire leakdowns quite a bit.

I made a quick measurement after installing the extender last night and found about 10mm of gasket above the rim. If my math is right, that leaves 4mm inside the rim. I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

Speaking of sealant, I had trouble getting mine (Flat Attack) through the valve core and extender. I gave up, figuring the intersection of the core and extender was to narrow for the thick liquid. Any recommendations for that issue, other than unwinding the install and going directly into the core?

Scott

Hi Josh,

Turns out the sealant was just a matter of finding the right applicator. My local drug store has a stash of complimentary syringes generally used for dispensing liquid oral medication. The nozzle on that syringe fit nicely into the valve extender and I was able to inject the Flat Attack without any trouble.

Here is a picture of the 34mm extender on a 51mm Vittoria Latex in a Flo 60:

Nice to have some confidence in the setup heading into IMC next week!

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Jul 21, 14 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott,
That's good to hear, and a good recommendation on the medicine syringes. I'll add that one to my list of event hacks!
Thanks for the update
J

Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Josh, any idea if a Michelin latex tube with a length of 36mm inside a Enve 45 (depth 45) would work with your non RVC 45 extender? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waupaca11,
What you need is a 34mm non-RVC extension, which we didn't make until yesterday. Literally. I've just received them from the anodizer and we will be gasketing/thread-sealing them and packaging over the course of next week. They will be on the market officially by second week of September. We've sized them to be perfect for 45-50mm rims and 36-42mm valve stems.
Here's a prototype on my 45mm 303 with 37mm valve Zipp tube

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I'll order second week of sept, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
...{CLIP}

The only tubes I was able to source locally were the 48mm version. Unfortunately the 45mm Silca extender is a tad bit too long to work with our FLO 60 but the 60mm Silca extender works perfectly with our FLO 90. From my discussions with Josh, a 37mm tube will work perfectly with a 45mm extender and a FLO 60. My sources simply didn't carry that length. I'm chatting with Josh behind the scenes to try and find a better answer. I want to be able to recommend one tube length that works with a specific Silca extender for both our FLO 60 and 90.

Beside the minor fit issue we are dealing with, I have to say I'm really impressed with the product. Wrapping plumbers tape on your extenders isn't the end of the world, but it's a step that shouldn't need to be taken. Josh's design is really effective. After your rubber washer is installed (which is easy to do), you simply screw the extender on. They hold air really well too.

It's one of those products you use where you say... "that's how it was supposed to be done" OR "why didn't anyone else think of this?".

I hope that helps,

Do you also have a recommendation what will work with one valve length for your disc (no extender) and the corresponding extender for the 60. Note: locally I usually only see 48mm (and up) valve stem tubes as well.
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new 34mm Extender will work perfectly with a 48mm stem in a 60mm rim. The 45mm extender works best with 32-42mm stems in that same wheel.
We are working on a chart/database for all of this, but have been a bit slammed with everything else going on and are running behind!
Best
J

Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
Canadian wrote:
...{CLIP}

The only tubes I was able to source locally were the 48mm version. Unfortunately the 45mm Silca extender is a tad bit too long to work with our FLO 60 but the 60mm Silca extender works perfectly with our FLO 90. From my discussions with Josh, a 37mm tube will work perfectly with a 45mm extender and a FLO 60. My sources simply didn't carry that length. I'm chatting with Josh behind the scenes to try and find a better answer. I want to be able to recommend one tube length that works with a specific Silca extender for both our FLO 60 and 90.

Beside the minor fit issue we are dealing with, I have to say I'm really impressed with the product. Wrapping plumbers tape on your extenders isn't the end of the world, but it's a step that shouldn't need to be taken. Josh's design is really effective. After your rubber washer is installed (which is easy to do), you simply screw the extender on. They hold air really well too.

It's one of those products you use where you say... "that's how it was supposed to be done" OR "why didn't anyone else think of this?".

I hope that helps,

Do you also have a recommendation what will work with one valve length for your disc (no extender) and the corresponding extender for the 60. Note: locally I usually only see 48mm (and up) valve stem tubes as well.

Exactly what Josh said. His 34mm extenders will be our new standard for all of our wheels. It would look like this.

FLO 30: 48mm Tube
FLO 60: 48mm Tube + 34mm Silca Extender
FLO 90: 48mm Tube + 60mm Silca Extender
FLO DISC: 48mm Tube

I hope that helps.

For the record, I'm hearing the 34mm extenders should be available within the month. Josh and can correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Last edited by: Canadian: Aug 31, 14 22:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
FLO 30: 48mm Tube + 34mm Silca Extender

I think you meant FLO 60 on the 2nd line there.
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
Canadian wrote:

FLO 30: 48mm Tube + 34mm Silca Extender

I think you meant FLO 60 on the 2nd line there.

Thanks! I definitely did. I just edited my post.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First ship date for 34mm Extenders will be Sept 16. We are just awaiting packaging, and are currently assembling parts now.
Best
J

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Josh, I see the RVC 34mm extensions...What about the non RVC in 34mm?

Thanks
Last edited by: waupaca11: Sep 18, 14 21:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
Waupaca11,
What you need is a 34mm non-RVC extension, which we didn't make until yesterday. Literally. I've just received them from the anodizer and we will be gasketing/thread-sealing them and packaging over the course of next week. They will be on the market officially by second week of September. We've sized them to be perfect for 45-50mm rims and 36-42mm valve stems.
Here's a prototype on my 45mm 303 with 37mm valve Zipp tube

Any eta on when we can see the non RVC in 34mm?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a couple questions I could use help with. I have historically used the zipp extenders with a set of FLO 60/90s. Never had issues, but now I bought a new pump it doesn't seal with the valve extender, and there are no threads to use my crack pipe. So I'm not able to use my wheels!

3 questions for you.
1) can I use a normal floor pump, and co2 flat repair pump, with these?
2) are there issues (aero?) with my valve extender protruding too far from the rim?
3 what do people with a disc do to pump up? Still need a crack pipe or does this alleviate needing to carry one of those around?

Or, I need to buy myself a new pump which is annoying..

Thanks!!
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta,
Both types of SILCA valve extenders have standard valve core threads on the top, so they will work with any pump or CO2. I think that a lot of people are caught off guard by barb type valve extenders, as many of the modern CO2 inflators will not work at all with them, and so many pumps now use thread on chucks that they will not work either.

There can be an aero penalty for valve extenders protruding too far, but it's pretty small, on the order of 0.05 watt per centimeter of extender protruding, and you typically need at least 12-15mm of exposed valve for most pumps.

People with disc wheels still need an adapter or some sort and generally do not need valve extenders. We strongly advocate for testing your CO2 inflator on both your disc and valve extenders as the side of the road during an Ironman is NOT the place to be figuring it out, and many if not most CO2 inflators will not work with disc wheels or barb type valve extenders.

Josh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would the non rvc extender work with co2? Specifically lezyne if you know?
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplant,

Thanks for asking, YES, our extenders will work with Lezyne CO2 regulators, and in fact work with ALL CO2 regulators. That is something we've been trying to spread the word on as the most heavily sold CO2 regulators (Lezyne and Birzman) require valve threads to operate properly, while the majority of OEM valve extenders ( pre-2014 Zipp, Reynolds and Mavic) are of a barb type that will not work with those regulators.

Josh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size extender do I need for a zipp 808 with a vittoria latex tube? Vittoria says the tube is 51 mm long but I measured it and its really 44 mm. Using 44mm on the chart puts me in between the 45 mm and 60 mm extender. I think the 45 mm extender will work but I just want to confirm. Also, is there any reason to use teflon tape on your extenders?

I'm racing next weekend..... how fast is your shipping? I'm in need of a disc wheel adaptor and just curious if I order today, when can I expect to receive shipment.
Thanks

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Josh

I am bringing back an old thread. Is it still an issue with the combo of 51mm tubes / Zipp 404 and using the Silca extenders? Or does the 34 RVC solve this issue?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loosegroove wrote:
Is it still an issue with the combo of 51mm tubes / Zipp 404 and using the Silca extenders? Or does the 34 RVC solve this issue?

I have a 34mm RVCs, FC 404s, and Challenge latex tubes (47.5mm) and the rubber piece on the extender does not contact the rim - they rattle around like every other extender.
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up...a little disappointed. Would you recommend these still over standard extensions?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: SILCA Valve Extenders... [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

I used a bit of heat shrink tubing on the Zipp extender as a workaround.
Quote Reply

Prev Next