Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [tri4ever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Okay, but what I do is wait until my wife gets home and go run then. Or go out running when they are all home or asleep early in the morning or late at night. I've went out running several times at 11PM and at 4AM, no one is out then, no cars, no people, clean air, just you and the stars - very peaceful and beats the treadmill hands down.[/reply]

-------------------------

Good for you!

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for me it's 0...usually I don't move on a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [FM.2.0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, 0 miles on a treadmill is the best answer yet !!!!

Tri4ever

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just worked for Polar this weekend at the Chicago marathon expo and ran a 2:33:57 marathon on the treadmill. That was the longest distance and time I've ever spent on the treadmill. It went by fast compared to winter trainer hours. 6:45 is my longest for the trainer, countless 5+ hour rides in the winter.

Kev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless your in rehabilation, over the age of 70 or train in the Arctic or Antarctic Regions - there is no reason why you should be on a treadmill. Unless of course your a girly man, and afraid of a little cold weather. Oh no.....a hat may mess up your hair. Be tough train outside. Plus, on a treadmill the ground moves undernear you, so you are not really propelling yourself forward. A treadmill is great for a common gym-goer who wants an aerobic workout, NOT for a triathlete or REAL runner.

HEY! That's completely uncalled for.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry.... didn't mean to offend. I just want people to stop finding the easy way out, it's an American cultural thing. Nothing against Americans, I am one too. But we have a tendancy to be overweight, coach potatos and fast food junkies. Along those lines we also have step aerobics, Tai bow, The Bun Cruncher, Elipical machines, Treadmills, Stair Steppers, Water Aerobics, the Thigh Master, etc.

All equipment to get our lazy butts off the couch, which is great for the average Joe and Jane. But not for a competitive runner or triathlete looking to improve their performance. Leave these machines for the people looking to get fit or back into shape.

Tri4ever

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine is a 2:20 marathoner who did a good chunk of his training for the 2004 Olympic Marathon Trials on a treadmill due to a crazy work schedule and crappy New England road conditions during the winter. It worked for him.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A friend of mine is a 2:20 marathoner who did a good chunk of his training for the 2004 Olympic Marathon Trials on a treadmill due to a crazy work schedule and crappy New England road conditions during the winter. It worked for him.
Same for me - I'm not a 2:20 marathoner, but a few long runs 14+ miles are better than 10 degrees below on icy roads in the dark during rush hour. I'd only do this when training for a spring marathon (e.g. Boston), otherwise any other cross training is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Plus, on a treadmill the ground moves undernear you, so you are not really propelling yourself forward."

I know you're just trolling, but I can't resist making one comment: You really ought to sign up for a beginning physics course. :)

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11 miles, 1:15 when I lived back east and it was snowing out.

I sweat so much I was afraid I might cause water damage to the machine...

Now that I'm in san diego, no excuse to not run outside.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10-12 miles

Quote | Reply
I'm kind of stuck on the treadmill for now because of a knee problem I am trying to rehab. The treadmill seems to be much, much lower impact than the road. The longest I've gone so far is 10 miles. I'm sure that will increase in the coming months. It's not so bad- I make sure I have tunes in my ears and the gym always has 3 TVs going on for added entertainment. Plus, I feel better about paying money for a gym membership when I use it every once in awhile.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The treadmill seems to be much lower impact than the road"

Which is good :D and also the treadmill does not get covered with snow and ice in the winter!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another bonus!

Yeah, we get a LOT of snow in Cleveland. I avoid the sidewalks when they're icy or snowy. No need to injure myself by falling. I'm too good at that by overtraining!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As soon as I forget the turd post we can talk ;-)
haha....what turd?

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Rob C in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Show me where in "physics" your propelling your body forward on a treadmill. If you actually propel forward, not lift your leg and set it down forward, but actually push off the surface with the same force you do when you run outdoors, you'd go off the front of the machine.

Treadmills, Stair Machines, Thighmasters, Bun Crunchers, Ab Cruchers, Elipitcal Machines, Spin Bikes, etc are all for wimpy individuals who can't do the real thing. Unless, of course your over 70 years old, in rehab, or just getting into fitness - then it's a good alternative.

Why are so many people so afraid to go outside and run? It's fun, either cold, rainy, snowy, hot, etc. I know everyone has an excuse, so what yours?

Tri4ever

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think 10.5 in 99min.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Along those lines we also have step aerobics, Tai bow, The Bun Cruncher, Elipical machines, Treadmills, Stair Steppers, Water Aerobics, the Thigh Master, etc.

------------------------------------------

Dude, you forgot Chuck Norris Total Gym...classic!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do realize that even elite runners and professional marathon and olympic runners use treadmills, and that this has been increasing over the last few years, as a tool to improve increasing foot turnover or for other reasons---not to avoid or chicken out of running outside. Some of it does relate to time and family convenience but long gone are the days where it is now accepted to just trash treadmills as they have no use to even "Serious" runners.

In this thread, we have many here in this very thread (not me!) who run sub 3 hour to 2:45 marathons, who are sitting here explaining to you that they use treadmills, occasionally. Brian up there runs very fast marathons, I think, and he's no p&*%y.

Its not preferred. Its not that they do it every day for every run. Deena Kastor has used a treadmill. I read an article last year in Runners World discussing the growing use of treadmills by elite runners. Go over to Duncan Larkin's website and call him a baby for using a treadmill.

To lop everyone into a class of Fat Gym Cats who use one, who post here---again, I'm no elite anything---but there are those here who use treadmills and its just insane to say they are babies for using a treadmill.

I started this thread, and I think I've run a treadmill TWICE in 2 years. I was just curious how long someone or how far they've run on one, not whether treadmills are for babies or not.

Your same argument could be made for using a bike trainer. Let's just accept the fact that people are going to use artificial training devices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to get off your subject....... by the way I run 0 miles on a trainer, properly answer your question.

Tri4ever

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.6 miles, 1:39. Ran that on January 7, 2005. Haven't run that long on a T-Mill since.

I can manage 3-5, but after that, I start thinking of creative ways to dismount, like trying to hurdle the dashboard.

Haven't tried yet. Afraid of the long drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Hurricane Bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you try a running mount onto a spin bike? (I'm assuming you're THE Hurricane Bob...)

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Sorry... but anyone who runs on a treadmill, with the exceptions I mentioned above, as part of there training for a marathon or triathlon, is either not a serious runner or just a pussy."

OK, you pushed my button (doesn't take much). I too live in Chicago and for the last 15 years do most of my weekday Nov-Mar running on a treadmill. I don't like it but neither do I like running in the cold, ice and snow. I'll go out on a limb here and will gladly compare my running times with your "pussy" times. I did not see any results for J. Knight in this year's Chicago marathon or Accenture triathlon, so you might just be a poser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longest run on the TM = 13.

Most mileage for a year on a TM = 850.

I hate running at the track and ended up doing all my speedwork on the treadmill this year, plus a lot of my shorter runs. The long runs get pretty tough, and I only managed a few 13 milers before I had to do those outside. But there is nothing quite no nice as watching a football game or good movie to make the time fly by fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Your longest run on a treadmill is... [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah! No. However, funnily enough, I did crash a treadmill today at lunch. Dropped my sweat towel (didn't see it drop), and before I knew it that sucker stopped COLD.

Turns out the towel got sucked into the belt. This was a brand-new Star-Trac treadmill, and I guess it has a "Peril Sensor" or something, because the motor flicked itself off as soon as it sensed resistance (e.g., this could be a Kenyan getting sucked under - better stop).

I stepped off, pulled the towel back out (it'd been ground through in about 10 seconds), and restarted running.

I think at least 10 people saw it. Gonna' be hard to get away from that one.
Quote Reply

Prev Next