Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This girl is something else and it's not witty and pretty. I'm bored at work and hit the link. Most of the comments are people telling her she's a moron. Unfortunately that's not the end of the story for this special person. She went and posted a follow up blog further justifying her actions calling people trolls, bullies and said she's looking forward to the end of the "crucifying." I guess she took enough heat for her actions and in lieu of paying for the race she made a donation to Girls On the Run.

Runners World even clowned on her: http://www.runnersworld.com/...from-a-running-store

http://wittyandpretty.com/...m-the-selfie-bandit/
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
dzxc wrote:
That is the very definition of a strawman

I've seen that word thrown around a lot, but I must admit that I have NO IDEA what it means; can someone explain it to me???

Is it anything like a Wicker Man?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman_argument
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
You're confusing the issues. Races get general liability coverage to cover its general liability. If a spectator is injured due to an RD;s negligence, it will be covered. However, as a quid pro quo for that coverage, insurance companies will require waivers from each participant. It's not that difficult a concept.

But a bandit is not a participant.

I could see that an insurance company might require the RD to take reasonable measures to prevent bandits as a condition for requiring coverage. I could see an insurer denying coverage if a RD knowlingly or recklessly allowed bandits to participate. But the lack of a waiver seems to be completely irrelevant.

Anyone using the closed course is a participant. Lack of waiver is not irrelevant. But you can go on thinking that

And that statement is based on what? Care to cite legal authority? Or are you just making it up?

So you're essentially saying that if an unauthorized individual sneaks onto a closed course, notwithstanding reasonable and good faith efforts by the RD to prevent it from happening, and suffers or causes harm, an insurance company would deny coverage under a general liability policy? While coverage always depends on the policy language, I highly doubt it would be denied in that case. This is precisely one of things that general liability coverage is for.

It's called the law. Ask any RD

But as you "suspect" it's not an issue, authority for that statement?

Really? What law? As a lawyer that has looked into the issue, I can't seem to find anything supporting your claim.

As someone who has regularly helped put on a local race, including assistance with securing permits, I know the insurance requirements imposed as a condition of obtaining those permits.

As a lawyer that advises municipalities, I know that no municipality would issue a permit to a race if it thought that there was such a gaping hole in the required insurance coverage.

Will an insurer deny coverage if a RD knowlingly allows a bandit on the course? Probably.

Do bandits increase the cost of such coverage? Possibly. Probably if the insurer is aware that it could be a significant problem or if there is a known history of bandits sneaking into the particular race or RD's events.

Will an insurer deny coverage under a general liability policy if, despite reasonable efforts by the RD to prevent if from happening, a bandit makes his or her way on to the course? Unlikely.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Apr 2, 14 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not problem if attractive females want to steal races, the unattractive ones however they should pay. And this one should have paid.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Netrepus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Netrepus wrote:
I have not problem if attractive females want to steal races, the unattractive ones however they should pay. And this one should have paid.

Imagine how different the tone would be on the thread about the woman claiming to be a pro triathlete, if she were ugly as well...
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [steelrain66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty+shitty = prettyshitty.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lakercr [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lakercr: Apr 2, 14 15:07
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
Why is stealing an object different than stealing a service?

The service is easier to hide in your pants.
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heh heh heh

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the kind of service you're getting.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Netrepus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Netrepus wrote:

ha ... I was going to say that if you have to tell people you're witty and pretty you're probably not, and not.

And further: blogging about banditing a half-marathon is like blogging about banditing the 1 mile run/walk at the local 5k. If you're going to do it, then at least finish the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate people like her. She's too stupid to understand that she is "stealing resources" from the race company. Also, what kind of 30 year old talks about "selfies"? I know college students who talk more mature than this ugly woman. Yes, ugly. I couldn't help but keep scrolling and notice she got uglier ever single mile. It made my eyes hurt. Maybe I should send her a selfie of how I looked when I first saw her face

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I couldn't help but keep scrolling and notice she got uglier ever single mile.

With all due respect, that's sorta to be expected; even for a Half Marathon

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I hate people like her. She's too stupid to understand that she is "stealing resources" from the race company. Also, what kind of 30 year old talks about "selfies"? I know college students who talk more mature than this ugly woman. Yes, ugly. I couldn't help but keep scrolling and notice she got uglier ever single mile. It made my eyes hurt. Maybe I should send her a selfie of how I looked when I first saw her face

She can't be ugly. She blogs about fashion and women's issues.

My triathlon training blog
Last edited by: tejanatab: Apr 2, 14 18:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just skimmed through 5 pages of this thread and did not see the word Boston once. In 1988 I did my first Boston marathon and I think there were more bandits then registered runners (the qualifying times were gun only and harder back then). Then it was normal to have lots of bandits. Last year was my fourth Boston (and I will be doing my fifth in three weeks). Last year after the bombs went off the streets were filled with really big guys in black with full auto machine guns and high capacity hand guns. In the last few weeks I have been getting e mails from the BAA with all kinds of new restrictions regarding how the race will be conducted this year. To the point of this thread: bandits will not be tolerated. To any one out there who thinks that they will be a Boston bandit this year, all I can say is that you had better have a bail bondsman on your smart phone speed dial. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [cervelorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump, as this is a serious topic, Tim

Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Stealing a service is still stealing. It doesn't have to be material goods. To some the value of the service is greater than any material goods she may have taken.

I do agree. I do think that you can bandit a race and not steal a service though. Stealing a timing chip (and then giving it back) is stealing a service. Using cleared roads is not stealing a service. TO me it all comes down to you cannot take domain over public property.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I acknowledged back early on that indeed, years ago it was a fine tradition to be a bandit at the Boston Marathon. Try doing that this year. Or try explaining to the Boston Marathon RD Dave McGillivary, all your reasons why you think it OK to be a bandit in a race. As I've said repeatedly, NO Race Director will have a favorable word about this.

I note that the blogger has been rather unapologetic, with all this. She's attacked the attackers. She's championed her "right" to do what she did. Said, that all the news outlets and media have been high-fiving her and saying great things about what she's done. Encouraging her. However, I note there is one very important group of people that she has not consulted - Race Directors. Not one word from any of them.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Using cleared roads is not stealing a service.

Wrong. Those roads are closed to host a race, not let random people safely go for a run. The road closure was paid for by the runners and organized by the RD. The road being closed is a service provided to the racers to ensure they have a safe event.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not nearly as annoyed with the fact that she "bandits" the race, as I am with her writing and showing off about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't share the hatred of bandits that a lot of other folks on this forum have.
Taking selfies during a race, though - *that* I can't stand. Even from legit entrants. that she's a bandit does make it worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not supporting either, but connecting race banditry to violent crime like the Boston bombers is quite a stretch. There is zero or near zero relation between the two.

And in a more general sense, it's disturbing in our society how "security" is now the magic reason to stop all kinds of things we don't like. It's not a good trend.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She seems like a putz but I don't really get the "banditing a race is evil" either. If an RD wanted to stop the bandits, it's not that hard to put some spotters and a cop at mile 1 and just pull people without bibs.

As far as being pretty and witty, there are lots of different types of wits...half, dim, nit...
Quote Reply
Re: Woman Bandits Race & Blogs About It [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BAA runs the race and they do not agree with you. Its their race and they make up the rules in conjunction with multiple law enforcement agency's. This year bandits are likely to find themselves being thrown to the ground with a machine gun pointed at their head. Welcome to the new world we live in. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never Bandited (not sure that is a word) a race before.

But I really have zero issue with a bandit jumping into a road race. My beef is if someone bandited a triathlon, that wouldn't fly with me. Why don't I care about a road race but I care about triathlon (because I am a d$%k). It's because triathlon is more dangerous and there is more room for injury. I can't count how many bike accidents I see during 70.3's, alot are from "Relay's" where the biker is in-experienced. Or where during an IM swim you hear people freak out and yell for help, even at Sprints.

Feel free to bandit a 5k or a 13.1, but don't bandit a triathlon
Quote Reply

Prev Next