Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running
Quote | Reply
What’s holding a triathlete back at the end of a race is not the lack of cardiovascular fitness,” McGee says. “They just can’t pick up their legs anymore; their legs are shot.”
Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...rting-your-run_82038
This is why I have been such a strong believer of powercranks and have been using them 7 days a week. If you cannot pick your legs up during the run, you are just going to be slow.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Apr 22, 15 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you even ready the article?

Pretty much everything in that article goes against what you just said, however, this is likely the best:

“You can hold a plank for three minutes, but that doesn’t help your running,”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
This is why I have been such a strong believer of powercranks and have been using them 7 days a week.

Do you offer kitchen cabinets or realistic looking government ID's with purchase?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would give you an upvote and gold if I had a way to do it here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you know you're not delusional?
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you know you're not delusional?

As opposed to the people who will respond to his post and expect this thread to be any different than any of his others?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you beat dead horses with power cranks too?

Gimmicks aren't going to make you pick up your legs, getting fitter will. Since you have no desire to actually get fitter... good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you even get them anymore?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have to 3D print your own out of magnetic bracelets.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:

Unless Frank died in the last few hours, yep

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

The website doesn't inspire confidence.

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

True, but still like my results.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Economist wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Psshht, I won't believe your claims until you do something truly spectacular fitness wise. Have you ever run a sub 20 minute 5k pushing a stroller? Won your age group a bizzillion times with your sizzling run split? Maintained sub 5% bodyfat year round for eternity?

Let us know when you are that awesome and maybe then we will consider this powercranking business.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Economist wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Psshht, I won't believe your claims until you do something truly spectacular fitness wise. Have you ever run a sub 20 minute 5k pushing a stroller? Won your age group a bizzillion times with your sizzling run split? Maintained sub 5% bodyfat year round for eternity?

Let us know when you are that awesome and maybe then we will consider this powercranking business.

All the stuff in bold is ridiculously difficult to pull off when a guy is in 55-59, so you gotta give him that. I am going to support Dave in that Powercranks are excellent supplement to real running. Certainly for older racers, it is a great way to maintain good running fitness without the pounding. I actually find that running in Hoka Bondi has a similar effect...those things are like boat anchors so more work for the hip flexors and hamstring, but more padding/less pounding than many shoes....but that is real running. With powercranks the hip flexors and hamstrings get big aerobic training load and obviously there is zero pounding, so the eccentric work that your quads do while running is not there.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Economist wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

lawl how much do you get paid to shill crazy gramps mc cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Jordano wrote:

All the stuff in bold is ridiculously difficult to pull off when a guy is in 55-59, so you gotta give him that. I am going to support Dave in that Powercranks are excellent supplement to real running. Certainly for older racers, it is a great way to maintain good running fitness without the pounding. I actually find that running in Hoka Bondi has a similar effect...those things are like boat anchors so more work for the hip flexors and hamstring, but more padding/less pounding than many shoes....but that is real running. With powercranks the hip flexors and hamstrings get big aerobic training load and obviously there is zero pounding, so the eccentric work that your quads do while running is not there.

Steve Magness thinks it's the hip extension that gets you forward when running. Actively using hip flexors and hamstrings is waste of energy.

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/...ing-with-proper.html
"The extension of the hip is where the power comes from, not from pushing with your toes or other mechanisms which are commonly cited." ... "Trying to actively move the leg through the recovery phase is another common mistake and will only result in wasted energy... pulling the lower leg to the butt simply wastes energy as the hamstrings have to be put to work in doing this action. Instead, the folding up of the leg should be thought of as a passive activity.""
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

It's even harder to win the 55 -59 age-group when your not his age ;-)

Aren't there a whole lot of other ways to train your hip flexors that are less expensive? I can imagine using one of those rubber bands for instance. I've never tried (or even seen one overhere) powercranks, but I have to say that their website does not help their cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running would probably be pretty cheap and I'm guessing it works your muscles for running pretty well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for the record, do you receive any sort of benefit from your support of powercranks? When you write an entry supporting a product, I think it is important to be transparent.
Unless I missed it, I do not see reference to powercranks in the link you provided.
Clearly, you are a good athlete and a fan of powercranks, but that does not necessarily imply cause and effect. N=1 is not science.
Ben Greenfield is a good athlete and a fan of the squatty potty...just sayin'

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Economist wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Sweeney wrote:

Yep, ran many times sub 20 pushing a double stroller in a 5K. My 1:24 Half marathon last year was okay. Yep, I usually win my AG. Do I have any body fat? Lets see, I was 149lbs in high school, and stay around 160 now all year round. Whatever it is my wife will NOT let me lose anymore weight. I already look like the walking dead.

Just continue to smile when so many post about something they have never tried. I am not saying anyone else should use. But just like compression socks, funky shoes, etc., I see no reason folks cannot talk
about things they use and feel help them.

And nope, I never had made a penny talking about powercranks. And Frank will not sponsor me because I am not good enough. I just really really believe than can help some runner, especially older, as Dev stated.

I guess I should get onto the Kickr thread and post these same type of negatives, but wait, that is different, right. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already troll the kickr threads and post useless crap. You shouldn't expect any different on a thread like this.

But just continue to smile...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
What’s holding a triathlete back at the end of a race is not the lack of cardiovascular fitness,” McGee says. “They just can’t pick up their legs anymore; their legs are shot.”
Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/...rting-your-run_82038
This is why I have been such a strong believer of powercranks and have been using them 7 days a week. If you cannot pick your legs up during the run, you are just going to be slow..

I don't understand your logic. Can you explain it please?
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [wilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are tons of ways that can train the aforementioned muscles while avoiding the pounding of running...here are a few:

1. Snow shoe running
  2. XC skiing
  3. Water running
  4. Exercises of the rubber band (but you have to do a ton of time....might be even more boring than water running).

I agree with the poster that said leg extension is more important than lifting the recovery leg from the hip flexors, however, keep in mind that everything in running is force and counterforce. You can't extend with the push off leg without the the recovery leg being in the symmetrically opposite spot in space. Here is a good view from Ms. Carfrae that illustates both muscle groups doing their share of the work:

I was having this exact conversation with Sam Gyde right before IM South Africa (where he was first overall age grouper at 40-44). He is a power cranks guy who swears by them and I actually said that Powercranks do not work your range of motion behind your center line and you can't just lift your legs with no backwards drive, or you end up with a lot of useless vertical oscillation like an athlete doing high knee drills before football or soccer practice....so yes, you need to do both. That's why I think that XC skiing is the best simulation in a non pounding environment while being weight bearing, but the best is to actually run, but that has limitations for many athletes.

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Apr 23, 15 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Why I believe powercranks are so great in helping running [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Running would probably be pretty cheap and I'm guessing it works your muscles for running pretty well.

X a Googolplex.
Quote Reply

Prev Next