Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The P5X is here! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rider weight limit is dictated by the components not the frame, same as our other models. We test our frames way beyond what a rider will weigh. ( (100's of kg's beyond) this is one of the stiffest frames we make due to the monocoque design.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How will the future hydraulic TT levers affect pricing?

Edit: bad question based on uncertainty. I'm expecting a higher price.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 6, 16 17:50
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was giving this one some thought and I think Cervelo is onto something here. Their first offering has its issues (e.g. clunky brakes), but honestly I think they are appealing to a big segment of their market.

I'm not a triathlete - if I am on my TT bike, I am doing 20K or 40K TTs. I don't need to eat during those efforts. I don't carry a flat kit because if I get a flat, my race is over. So I'm not the target customer for this bike. This is me on my P5. No gels taped to the top tube. Pretty simple. Likely faster now since I've switched to Alpha X / Omega X.

But I see a LOT of riders on TT bikes here in SoCal, and very few have a similarly minimalist setup. This bevy of riders may never do an IM distance triathlon, but their bikes are set up so they can. They've got bottles all over. They have huge saddle bags. They've got bentos, you name it. They are packed like they are ready to do RAAM. Solo. Basically, anywhere they can affix something to their bike, they do.

And for this large segment of riders, the P5X is gonna be faster. It's gonna hide all that damn gear. And yeah, if you are a 140.2 triathlete and need to carry a bunch of stuff to race, the P5X has got it all figured out for you. It's really not a bike as much as a complete integrated bike + storage solution. And for a lot of riders out there, many of them who have never heard of Slowtwitch, that's exactly what they need.

And yeah I know, my seat's too high.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Oct 6, 16 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any plans to release a rim brake version? Give your customer base the option, similar to Specialized with the Venge or Tarmac for example.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this summarizes Cervelo's goal perfectly. They took many pics at IMs to look at what the average age grouper is doing and proposed a bike to make that better. They didn't take a ST poll because they probably didn't care quite as much about what the average STer wants which--sorry to say--does not align with the average triathlete out there.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 6, 16 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
the weight power suck even at 0% grade more than eats up the supposed 31g drag savings probably netting you a 20g loss to use their terms

Now there is some system level thinking :-)

Edit: Did you calculate both at 30mph? The reason I ask is that the difference will grow at lower speeds since rolling resistance force is constant, while the aero drag force varies with v^2 (as I'm sure you well know)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Oct 6, 16 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Mugen_EP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not for the P5X. Future products? Perhaps.

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I was giving this one some thought and I think Cervelo is onto something here. Their first offering has its issues (e.g. clunky brakes), but honestly I think they are appealing to a big segment of their market.

I'm not a triathlete - if I am on my TT bike, I am doing 20K or 40K TTs. I don't need to eat during those efforts. I don't carry a flat kit because if I get a flat, my race is over. So I'm not the target customer for this bike. This is me on my P5. No gels taped to the top tube. Pretty simple. Likely faster now since I've switched to Alpha X / Omega X.

But I see a LOT of riders on TT bikes here in SoCal, and very few have a similarly minimalist setup. This bevy of riders may never do an IM distance triathlon, but their bikes are set up so they can. They've got bottles all over. They have huge saddle bags. They've got bentos, you name it. They are packed like they are ready to do RAAM. Solo. Basically, anywhere they can affix something to their bike, they do.

And for this large segment of riders, the P5X is gonna be faster. It's gonna hide all that damn gear. And yeah, if you are a 140.2 triathlete and need to carry a bunch of stuff to race, the P5X has got it all figured out for you. It's really not a bike as much as a complete integrated bike + storage solution. And for a lot of riders out there, many of them who have never heard of Slowtwitch, that's exactly what they need.

And yeah I know, my seat's too high.
Youve hit the nail squarely on the head. This place is a great resource, but many seem to think it's the be all and end all of triathlon.

But it's not. Sorry Dan - but you know that already right?

Almost all of the people I know here and in the UL who are triathletes have no clue about this place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised we are not discussing how heavy it is.

P5 already feels on the heftier size when I compare it to other bikes; and must say I do feel the difference on steeper climbs

if this one is even heavier ...that is not good
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheJakes wrote:

Yep—sounds like the most exciting thing about the P5X is the P3X that will follow:
  • Minor tweaks to adjustability, portability and aero to bring frame price down to planet Earth
  • Maybe an option for rim breaks to help people with an existing investment in wheels
  • More aero hydro disc breaks to maybe make up for aero compromises above
  • Will still make a lot of existing bikes look like toys

Cervelo—please consider this post your first P3X order.
Last edited by: yonadav: Oct 7, 16 1:47
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [yonadav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yonadav wrote:
TheJakes wrote:

Yep—sounds like the most exciting thing about the P5X is the P3X that will follow:
  • Minor tweaks to adjustability, portability and aero to bring frame price down to planet Earth
  • Maybe an option for rim breaks to help people with an existing investment in wheels
Will still make a lot of existing bikes look like toys

I see the P5x as a concept bike or a flagship product. They are probably not going to sell thousands of them, bc of the disc and the price tag.

I am pretty sure Cervelo is going to offer in the next months (3 to 6 months) a much cheaper version of it (P2/3X !?), that will be designed for use in a real life ($, rim brake etc) by real people.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R2 wrote:

P5 already feels on the heftier size when I compare it to other bikes; and must say I do feel the difference on steeper climbs

Not sure if it makes up the delta, but I would want to factor in the weight of the typical bento box, rear hydration mount, etc...to get an apples to apples comparison. As I recall, those Xlab rear hydration mounts are half a pound easy. Not sure what the typical bento box weighs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jakub,
That's fair enough thanks for the replies.

Well done on making the first stylish Beam in my opinion anyway.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [the slow guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 o 6 months?

Can they put a cheap version of that frame?
Still a beam bike ?
P3X would be nice also in red please
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [yonadav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
  • Will still make a lot of existing bikes look like toys

Why would they introduce a bike that would clearly cannibalize demand for the P5X by A LOT? If they introduce another version, it will have to be distinctly worse than the P5X. The problem is that the P5X's advantage over the P5 or even P3 is pretty modest so they don't have much headroom to work.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
jeffp wrote:
the weight power suck even at 0% grade more than eats up the supposed 31g drag savings probably netting you a 20g loss to use their terms

I know you didn't post this initially, but to clarify: is jeffp saying that the extra few pounds of bike/system weight impact on rolling resistance more than counteracts the (claimed) drag savings of the p5x ?

Am I understanding that right?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
jeffp wrote:

I know you didn't post this initially, but to clarify: is jeffp saying that the extra few pounds of bike/system weight impact on rolling resistance more than counteracts the (claimed) drag savings of the p5x ?

Am I understanding that right?

That is how I read it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [the slow guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the slow guy wrote:

I am pretty sure Cervelo is going to offer in the next months (3 to 6 months) a much cheaper version of it (P2/3X !?), that will be designed for use in a real life ($, rim brake etc) by real people.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
the slow guy wrote:

Yes
I make a bet.
Cervelo entry models will be 3 yo in January. Time to renew them. Or people will buy the newest toys by BMC, Canyon etc : newer, sexy, cheap (compared to a P5x), and with rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [chrisgrigsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisgrigsby wrote:
R2 wrote:

Not sure if it makes up the delta, but I would want to factor in the weight of the typical bento box, rear hydration mount, etc...to get an apples to apples comparison. As I recall, those Xlab rear hydration mounts are half a pound easy. Not sure what the typical bento box weighs.

No, no way it's that much. I have a SpeedFil Z4 between my bars and and R1 carrier behind and they are just plastic with a tiny bit of hardware. My plastic bento box behind the stem is also super light.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to be fair, I just used on online calculator and changed the bike weight by 1.5kg to account for a p5-6 to p5x difference. assume 30mph. think I used gribble and only assumed a crr watts to g conversion. I relooked at it after post and it was probably net -10g ish instead of -20. I cant recall what assumptions I used for crr etc and since cervelo hasn't released that yet I don't feel need to either. suffice it to say I was only looking at the crr though and increased weight increases crr :)

I look at that from time to time to see what might happen if I actually make race weight some day
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, that is what I am saying

edit: that is how small the aero savings is that is being stated
Last edited by: jeffp: Oct 7, 16 8:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
to be fair, I just used on online calculator and changed the bike weight by 1.5kg to account for a p5-6 to p5x difference. assume 30mph. think I used gribble and only assumed a crr watts to g conversion. I relooked at it after post and it was probably net -10g ish instead of -20. I cant recall what assumptions I used for crr etc and since cervelo hasn't released that yet I don't feel need to either. suffice it to say I was only looking at the crr though and increased weight increases crr :)

I look at that from time to time to see what might happen if I actually make race weight some day

I want disc brakes about as much as the next guy (i.e. not at all), but I checked your math and it's way off. ~3 lbs of weight increase does not more than offset ~30 grams of drag reduction, all else held equal. That's nonsense.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Oct 7, 16 8:49
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are correct, factor 10 error

1 w more needed to go 30mph for the extra 1.5 kg so ~10g less to be had for aero somehow I was converting that to 100g

I am wrong more often than right
Last edited by: jeffp: Oct 7, 16 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: The P5X is here! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I think this summarizes Cervelo's goal perfectly. They took many pics at IMs to look at what the average age grouper is doing and proposed a bike to make that better. They didn't take a ST poll because they probably didn't care quite as much about what the average STer wants which--sorry to say--does not align with the average triathlete out there.

Here's what I don't understand about that, though....they made a bike for the average age grouper and priced it out of the average age grouper's price range. All of their rationale for this bike would be spot on if it was about $5k, but it doesn't make much sense to me at $13K.

Spot

Prev Next