Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is quite shallow, swam there a couple weeks ago, no head scrapes. I was thinking about it first lap though! It is the Penticton Rec Center pool.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So do wetsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a pull buoy quite regularly. I am a 1hr IM swimmer and 27:00-29:00 half. Of course that is wetsuit legal. I wet went 32:00 at Eagleman that was non-wetsuit. I did not grow up swimming and did not play water polo. I think I am just a natural swimmer with good feel for the water.

James - est. as a Triathlete 1983
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:

Really depends what we're defining as 'triathlete' firstly.

If we're talking everybody participating in triathlons then maybe 1/2 of them will be involved with the sport for 2-3 years and then move on, whether kids or bucket listers. And then take into account (at least here in NZ) all bar may be 1 - 2 races per year are non-wetsuit, and the rest wetsuit legal..... You really have to ask yourself the question where is my time best spent for that one particular athlete in front of me. What are their goals?

As with all things coaching - 'it depends' is usually the answer.

For sure pullbuoys are used alot as 'crutches' by some, and as a useful tool for a variety of interventions that are athlete specific, by others, wouldn't you agree?

I long for a non-wetsuit swim here in NZ! Only non wet suit swims seem to be Kinloch and Takapuna elite races...if only the water temperate rules were the same for age groupers.

I guess I'm just coming at it from a swim perspective. At the club I trained with as a kid, the young kids all used fins in training, to assist them in learning how to kick properly ,which subsequently helps with body position.

If a triathlete in a wetsuit is still doing a big scissor kick, then that is still going to affect their body position. It sometimes amazes me how low some people can get in the water even with a wetsuit on, and that is usually a function of them not knowing how to kick or how to hold their legs. I've noticed triathletes often reach for the pullbuoy when they start to get tired, when what they should be doing is focussing on trying to keep a similar body position, whether they are kicking hard or just doing a 2 beat kick.

I agree that tools like pullbuoys and paddles are useful, I guess my point is that people should try to become semi proficient without these tools before relying on them too much.

As a swimmer, I cam remember doing whole sessions doing pull only or kick only, depending on whether my shoulders or my knees were injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My n=1

Figured pull bouy was the same as a wetsuit.. get strong arms.. just coast the legs, bam, reasonable swim finish and can make up time on the bike on the run.

Trained about half pull bouy, half freestyle in the pool (and all free in the lake). Training went well, did some 1500y pull sets in 30 minutes, was ready to roll.

Total fail on 2 OLY tris, finished bottom 10%.

Now other crap went wrong on my races. But I do think pull bouys hurt me. I got my stroke "ok" in 3 months, but having no kick did not help.

Now in a masters swim class, lots of 200y kick sets. I think I can do a heck of a lot better this year.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its at least 1 metre (3.3'). Plenty to flip in, at 6' I can flip in 2' of water. If you hit your head in 1 metre you are not doing it right.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
They're a tool for swimmers, a crutch for triathletes.
Pull Buoy = Triathlete crack

i have a different opinion on this. I see swimmers as often thinking very highly of themself and there swimming. Reality is, most would not make the cut for the fast lane in the squad. Perhaps the second lane?

there is plenty of high level or very well train pro and age group triathlete that can swim right at the front in open water with the college swimmers. I simply train them in a different way as they are onset adult swimmer and dont have the millions of hours available to become fast ''conventional swimmer' The good news is...my job is to make them fast in a wetsuit in open water.....not in a pool with a speedo. It's a important distinction that is often missed

Pool Buoy is a amazing tools. allow us to get some quality session in times where it would not be possible. Allow me to make them progress quicker. It s not a miracle device...the hard work and meters needs to get done. Anyway, i think the article bring lots of good points and reflection. And for the swimmers that make fun of it, i invited them to join us in a open water session and see for themselves what kind of level we reach with this approach. My door is wide open!

enjoy swimming!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This strategy works until you reach a non wetsuit swim. Then all the bitching and moaning begins and the real swimmers start cheering.
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [jakob1989] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jakob1989 wrote:
interessting Brett Sutton posted a blog about exactly the same today
http://trisutto.com/the-pull-buoy-debate-2/

the problem for me is just that I can't really use it much more anyway...;-)

Only annoying part about the pb is that I sometime get quite an abrasion from the edge of my pb on the inner thigh. but the very smooth ones are not good either as they tend to get to slippery after a while.

Reading comprehension much? That blog (linked in the original post) was the impetus for him posting.

If you're getting abrasions, then you are still kicking while holding the PB. Stop that.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [Nick B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last time i swam in hawaii... i was in the pro lead group with the pace car right in front of me out of transition....

so much for this strategy not working.......

read the article, it will explain why.

The bitching and moaning is associated to a certain type of individual. Those people dont really last long with me as a coach....triathlete or swimmers.....

i guess perhaps i m just lucky...the triathletes i work with done whine, they simple get the work done.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Dec 8, 14 20:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not that I'm representative of anything...

But, I used a pull buoy - I think 10 years ago.

Adult onset swimmer. 1st out of the water in my AG 6 out of 8 races last year. And, on one of the races the guy who "beat" me out of the water was by 5 seconds and ended up 27 minutes back at the finish. I just don't see how letting me cheat on body position with a PB makes me a better swimmer. My kick for propulsion is pathetic, but, it does give me a decent body position. Therefore, for kicking, I only "invest" as little as I need for good position.

But, that's just me - and if it works for you, more power to ya.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the blatant appeal to authority logical fallacies, I find your whole pull buoy premise strange since you advocate using bands and paddles which I totally agree with.

It appears that you use a lot of pool toys so it's better to say:

Use bands+paddles+buoys a lot rather than "the pull buoys, use it a lot."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you lost me on your first sentence? perhaps something more simple in english?

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop making these kinds of statements:
http://en.wikipedia.org/...ument_from_authority
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure i m following you but anyway, this is just a fun reflexion on a article that Brett Sutton wrote. I have work in the past with him and it was always amazing to see him get such spectacular results with poor swimmers quickly.

The motto was: pull buoy is never big enough and you never get too much of it...... we would use it for 50-60% of the workouts total meters.... would allow us to ride more/harder/run...and still get quality swim session after long runs/track workout /bike intervals etc. I do like this approach and my experience with other athletes as show me it can work very well.

and of course, there is many other way to skin a cat....

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
LazyEP wrote:
They're a tool for swimmers, a crutch for triathletes.
Pull Buoy = Triathlete crack

i have a different opinion on this. I see swimmers as often thinking very highly of themself and there swimming. Reality is, most would not make the cut for the fast lane in the squad. Perhaps the second lane?

there is plenty of high level or very well train pro and age group triathlete that can swim right at the front in open water with the college swimmers. I simply train them in a different way as they are onset adult swimmer and dont have the millions of hours available to become fast ''conventional swimmer' The good news is...my job is to make them fast in a wetsuit in open water.....not in a pool with a speedo. It's a important distinction that is often missed

Pool Buoy is a amazing tools. allow us to get some quality session in times where it would not be possible. Allow me to make them progress quicker. It s not a miracle device...the hard work and meters needs to get done. Anyway, i think the article bring lots of good points and reflection. And for the swimmers that make fun of it, i invited them to join us in a open water session and see for themselves what kind of level we reach with this approach. My door is wide open!

enjoy swimming!

As a lifetime competitive swimmer and sub 52 swim leg swimmer in the ocean, I agree with this approach for new swimmers. Having spent my childhood swimming from point A to point A, a good body position comes naturally regardless of whether I kick or not. (For the record, I am a very weak-ass 2 beat kicker...mainly using it only for balance in the water.) But when I try to help my friends improve, it's soooo hard to explain all the little things that go into an efficient stroke. So if you can get the body position correct for the purpose at hand (open water wet suit swim), that is a solid way to make the gains most age-group triathletes need.

Question for you coach...if you are training athletes for open water ocean swimming, would you use a bigger buoy to account for the additional buoyancy? I always need a few practice swims in the ocean when I wear a wetsuit. (all 5mm neoprene...I think I would be better off with 5 on the chest, and 3 on the legs...but that is exactly inverse of most "tuned" suits for obvious reasons!)

For those of you who struggle with the swim....look at it this way...it has to be fun picking off the swimmers as you go through your day!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a guy who trains in our 50m indoor pool with a wetsuit on AND a pull buoy. What's that about?

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
last time i swam in hawaii... i was in the pro lead group with the pace car right in front of me out of transition....

so much for this strategy not working.......

read the article, it will explain why.

The bitching and moaning is associated to a certain type of individual. Those people dont really last long with me as a coach....triathlete or swimmers.....

i guess perhaps i m just lucky...the triathletes i work with done whine, they simple get the work done.

Yawn!
Comments are a bit derisive - "I'm this great coach and if athletes don't like my way then it's the highway" and 'gee, I'm fast so what I say is right '. Woohoo and Full marks to you! Lots of people are fast and could hose you swimming backstroke so please save the 'look at me" for those who are impressed.

BUT, your carrying on aside, I agree with your sentiment that it has a place and can be (more often than not) a great benefit to the triathlete swimmer. Probably less so for the great swimmers - still very useful but for different reasons. Good points you make - though you could support it a little better with more than the ' Oh well, that's what my athletes do and anyone who doesn't can bite me' type rationale.

Good coaches explain why things can help and generally don't try to blow their own horns to prove a point.
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Dec 9, 14 1:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in huge agreement with this for triathletes who are going to do wetsuit swims only. If I were still in triathlon I'd probably use a buoy a ton to mimic a wetsuit position. I hadn't tried a wetsuit in over 20 years until a maybe 18 months ago. One of the Huub suits? OMG. It was insane what a blast and it was a loose fitting suit a bit tall for me, but still hilariously awesome. I was literally smiling the entire time playing around with different aspects seeing how it effected my pace. I'd still kick if racing in a wetsuit b/c that's just how I swim, but my regular Speedo body position isn't quite what I get from a newer technical wetsuit and a buoy would get me closer to that. The Huub was so buoyant I intentionally had to adjust my head up a tiny bit to bring my feet down and keep them boiling rather than coming out of the water. Pinching a buoy b/t the thighs makes it easier for me to make a 'uni-leg' and completely shut the kick off, but with no buoy my natural inclination is a soft 6 beat. These new suits are insane!

Plus if it gets a triathlete to the pool to swim more by making it more fun then I'm all for it. Just so they are ready for what is in store for them when a race isn't wetsuit legal....as long as they can deal with that expectation then more power to the buoy!
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lifetime swimmer and sub 52 !!

you don't need much advice on how to get through the first leg.

Bike and run more is where you'll get best bang.

999999/1000000 of us here hate you (in a jealous way)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about BC or Quebec, but NONE of the swim squads I have ever been a part of have ever eschewed pull buoy work, or made fun of it, and the distance swimmers especially loved using them. I wasn't a distance swimmer, and my primary even wasn't freestyle, so I never used it as much as the distance lane, but we did a ton of work with the buoy and paddles.

We did make fun of "some" triathletes because they were crap swimmers, but generally respected the ones who obviously put in the work. Lisa Bentley swam with us during her xc offseason, and while she was never fast by swimmer standards, she did put in the work and turned out to be a semi-decent triathlete after graduation.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah but it's a 'coach driven' thing - not swimmer. As you would well know, when training with a squad you do as the coach says. Some like using them lots, some some times, some never. If you ask them, they all think their way is the right way.

And that ladies and gentlemen tells you that there's no right or wrong way!

Individual training - you're the coach! So to pb or not to pb is up to you! I'm a pb fan. My kids hardly use them (but they have them in their bag). They are faster - but I reckon I'm better looking :)
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Dec 9, 14 2:05
Quote Reply
Re: TRIATHLETE: USE the PULL BUOY...use it A LOT!!!! [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Douchbag much...?
He initially posted the wrong link...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are all pull buoys created equal or is there a particular brand you'd recommend? I've generally just used what's at the pool but think I'm going to buy one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My question for Jonnyo is:

Should we use the pull-buoy moving our legs or without moving our legs?

Thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply

Prev Next