Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FYI, I looked at the results from the Philly Marathon and compared results with some big triathlons.

3:00 marathon = top 2.66%
Top 2.66% = 69th place at IM Canada = 10:02
Top 2.66% = 41st place at Eagleman = 4:22
Top 2.66% = 51st place Philly Tri = 2:08
I don't think percentages work for this comparison, because the big marathons have way more people whose goal is just to finish than any of the big triathlons.

Compare 18,000 in last year's Philly Marathon to. 2,000 at a big IM race. With just about an order of magnitude difference in the number of athletes, the percentage figure for the marathon is getting pushed to the slow side.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may have skewed the HIM time using Eagleman, Barry.

That is a notoriously fast (not to mention notoriously drafting-plagued) course.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those that are making some of these assumptions, do you think the logic works backwards. If you think a sub 3 mary is equivalent to a 10:30 IM, does it stand to reason that someone who can pull off a 10:30 IM should be capable of going sub 3??? It seems that most of the people responding are saying no.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that very much depends on whether you are a bike or a runner. i did 10:17 at AZ, but it was all bc of a sub 5 bike, and a >4hr run. My open marathon expected times are in the 3:15 range- so my guess is the answer is "yes it runs backwards if you are a better runner than cyclist but not vice versa"

Personally i would vote for: 10hr IM, 4:30 HIM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-Cartels: Serotta, Zipp 2001, Guru, eh?
-"It was kinda long and then i got really tired"
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wouldn't IM Canada be more top heavy than the Philly marathon?

I tend to agree. For example, someone like Oprah has done a marathon but I can't imagine her ever attempting an IM.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You may have skewed the HIM time using Eagleman, Barry.

That is a notoriously fast (not to mention notoriously drafting-plagued) course.

Yeah, but I figured the Philly Marathon is a fast, flat course as well. I'm mainly just throwing it up there for information. I think this is all very subjective.

As stated earlier, for some of us a 3:00 marathon seems much easier than those tri times, while others find the tri times much easier.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I cannot believe all the 4;30 1/2 responses to your question. I think a lot of folks must be using Clearwater or other Florida races as a bench mark. Let's use a real 1/2 time, like Oceanside or Wildflower. 4;30 on a legit non drafting course is not that easy, and is approaching a back of the pack pro time, and a winning womens time. A 3 hour marathon is not that hard if you just train a little, and have some background in running like any triathlete would have. I think I would go with the 4:45 number on a legit course, and certainly a sub 2:00 olympic is waaay off the mark. Once again, a non drafting legit course is super tough to break 2 hours. You are beating all but the few best women pros, and they are pretty fast. For an olympic I would say about 2:12 or so..I think people have been cheating so long, and using phony pr times from short or drafting courses, that most have lost all perspective on how hard a real 4:30 or sub 2 hour really is....Just my opinion anyway, you asked for it....
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man, I cannot believe all the 4;30 1/2 responses to your question. I think a lot of folks must be using Clearwater or other Florida races as a bench mark.

Except for BarryP with is 97.34th percentile :) and a few others, I think many of us are using our own personal experience or the experience of other athletes we know. That's why you see such a large range of times. Some of us (i.e. me :) aren't cut out for marathon running (I've run three, admittedly undertrained, but have never gotten even close to 3:00) and we low ball the equivalent triathlon time (my PBs are 4:20 and 2:01). Others perhaps don't swim and ride as well as they run and they inflate the equivalent triathlon times :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [gonzobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think many of us are using our own personal experience or the experience of other athletes we know. \\

Fair enough, and of course I'm using my own personal expirence and history in the sport to come up with an across the board answer..For me personally it was much easier to run a 3 hour marathon than to do even a 4:50 1/2, and running was by far my worst sport. I was trying to look at it from an overall perspective, and not just my personal one. Of course there will be guys like you that always had a hard time running, and there will be ex runners that compare their 2;30 marathons to a 5;20 1/2. Somewhere in the middle is a general rule, I was just trying to guess where that might be....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 3:00 marathon is 1.45 times the men's world record. Multiplying the men's ironman and olympic distance world records by 1.45 yields 11:23 and 2:25, respectively. Of course, this assumes we are talking about fast courses. I still tend to think people are over estimating the relative difficulty of a sub-3
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [PaavoNurmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub 3 isnt hard at all. the only people who are saying its tough havent run 70+ miles a week for a few weeks.

i come from a swimming only background and my first marathon was under 2:55.

putting together and executing a proper 4:30 or 10 him/im is so ridiculously hard, so the ones that do it get the kona slot (give or take 15mins)
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Sep 22, 09 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
sub 3 isnt hard at all. the only people who are saying its tough havent run 70+ miles a week for a few weeks.

One of my favorite exchanges was from a training partner of mine to a guy in our local running group.

John: "Man, you looked like you got run over by a truck as you struggled to finish that marathon. I guess you blew up pretty bad, huh."
Marc: "Yeah. You know, I never realized how much one could walk in a marathon and still break 3 hours."
John: "Hey!! I've never broken 3 hours!"

Marc was probably in 2:35 shape but went out at about 2:20 pace.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Sub-3 is hard for a lot. Else a lot of people would be doing it.

I trained pretty dang hard on marathon, getting up to 100mpw, and going thru Pfitz Advanced marathoning 70mpw and beyond 3 times. Got my marathons from 3:55 to 3:40 to 3:20 to 3:16, but still a long way off from sub-3. (My HM got as low as 1:25 though.)

I'd say anyone who trains for real for their first marathon and comes in over 3:45 is in for a rough time trying to go sub-3. 45+ minutes is a lot to cut off unless you were really undertrained for your 1st.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you ran 70mpw for 6-8 weeks?

if not, do it then tell me how your next marathon goes.

it starts getting hard once you break 2:45. then you have to do quality workouts and even more mileage
Last edited by: SeasonsChange: Sep 22, 09 13:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whle sub 3hr has a definate sound to it, that time isn't super fast for a marathon. Depending on the course I would go sub 4:50 to 5 for a half and sub 10:30 to 11 for full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an interesting debate... for some running a sub-3hr marathon is easy but getting under 10hrs in IM or 4:30 70.3m is real hard because they may come from a running background and suffer on the bike and swim. From my own experience I can't imagine running 60-70 miles a week but have gone 2:40 marathon, 9:56 IM and 4:19 70.3m.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [PaavoNurmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A 3:00 marathon is 1.45 times the men's world record. Multiplying the men's ironman and olympic distance world records by 1.45 yields 11:23 and 2:25, respectively.
Ah, but you can't use the same 1.45 factor for the swimming and cycling because of the exponential nature of the primary resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this really depends on the course, 10 hours at IM Florida is not really special, prob equals 10:30 + at most other IMNA events.

Running 3 hours is really not very fast "IF" you can manage to get your running mileage up for a good 6-12 months.

I would guess that

3:00 = 10:40 standard IMNA course

2:45 = 10:00
Last edited by: pokey: Sep 22, 09 15:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the Pfitz 18wk/70mpw per week program (max 70) twice, and then did Pfitz 18/80-100mpw (custom) once, over a 2 year period. Cut 50 minutes off my first real marathon, but still 3:15 - not too close to sub3. It's hard for us less gifted, and I wasn't a terrible athlete to begin with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blimey I never realised a 3hr marathon was so easy! Seriously though, I am miles off that but did a 10:06 at IMNZ and a 4:48 HIM on a hilly course last season. My running speed is not high (marathon PB only 3:39, admittedly I didn't know how to train in those days) but I can run close to that speed no matter how hard I go on the bike.

I would say these are equivalent assuming all are on flattish courses:
3hr marathon
2:07 non drafting oly tri
4:40 HIM
9:45 IM
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [skavoovie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Compare 18,000 in last year's Philly Marathon to. 2,000 at a big IM race. With just about an order of magnitude difference in the number of athletes, the percentage figure for the marathon is getting pushed to the slow side.

18,000 is the combined field limit for the Philly Marathon *and* Half Marathon. According to marathonguide.com, the marathon field was just over 7,000.

Using the 97.34th percentile time at the Pigman (lake swim, usually wetsuit legal; gentle rolling hills for bike and run; not a super fast course but by no means slow; the local pro, David Thompson, has gone under 4:00; the winning amateur time is usually around 4:10; the size of the field is usually around 500) for the last 10 years gives 4:27, 4:30, 4:27, 4:41, 4:31, 4:28, 4:29, 4:28, 4:34, 4:37.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

18,000 is the combined field limit for the Philly Marathon *and* Half Marathon. According to marathonguide.com, the marathon field was just over 7,000.

Using the 97.34th percentile time at the Pigman (lake swim, usually wetsuit legal; gentle rolling hills for bike and run; not a super fast course but by no means slow; the local pro, David Thompson, has gone under 4:00; the winning amateur time is usually around 4:10; the size of the field is usually around 500) for the last 10 years gives 4:27, 4:30, 4:27, 4:41, 4:31, 4:28, 4:29, 4:28, 4:34, 4:37.

I stand corrected on the absolute number, but it doesn't change my point. Before you start picking out percentiles and comparing them, you have to make sure the distributions are shaped the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I disagree. Sub-3 is hard for a lot. Else a lot of people would be doing it.

I trained pretty dang hard on marathon, getting up to 100mpw, and going thru Pfitz Advanced marathoning 70mpw and beyond 3 times. Got my marathons from 3:55 to 3:40 to 3:20 to 3:16, but still a long way off from sub-3. (My HM got as low as 1:25 though.)

I'd say anyone who trains for real for their first marathon and comes in over 3:45 is in for a rough time trying to go sub-3. 45+ minutes is a lot to cut off unless you were really undertrained for your 1st.
i agree, I ran sub3:10 for my first marathon and it took another 7 marathons to go sub3 and I was very familiar to average 80-90 weeks and 20+ every weekend. I think it's easy to go 3:45 to sub3, if you trained like a complete idiot the first time, but if you trained correctly, it's hard to shave off minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
in terms of overall fitness level, i would say probably 4:30 maybe 4:20. logic, if you are a 3:00 runner, then you should be able to go 4:30 unless you really, really, really suck at swimming and/or cycling.

I am a 2:51 runner... and I have yet to hit 4:30 , while still hitting close to 25mph in a 20K TT :(

Really bad swimmer.. you betcha

Quote | Reply
I had four 70+ mile weeks for Boston '07 and several more that were almost that. 3:33. I don't think the lack of headwind would have bought me 1/2 hour. Don't get me wrong...the mileage was very beneficial and moved me to a different level, but unfortunately that level was nowhere near sub-3. Sure, take a 40min 10K guy and slap 70 mile weeks on him and it's probably there, but take a 43min 10K guy (like, say, me :-) and slap 70 mile weeks on him and you get 3:20-3:30.
Quote Reply

Prev Next