Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM
Quote | Reply

Just curious what your opinions are on this. Sub 3 hr standalone marathon seems to be a standard of performance that places folks in somewhat universally recognized special category. For some reason, if one person is a 2:58 finisher and another is a 3:03, it's not that big of a time gap, but since it's below that line, mentally I place that finisher in a select group. Maybe it's just me. I'm wondering what that threshold equivalent number is in IM or HIM. Is it 11hrs for a IM, sub 5 for a HIM?

BTW...I am in no way taking recognition away from a person that does a 5 hr marathon or 17 hr IM.

ADW

Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Onetimepad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub 10 for IM, and i dont know about HIM cause sub5 is too easy...
maybe sub 4:50~
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [gooli32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would add sub 2 for olympic

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in terms of overall fitness level, i would say probably 4:30 maybe 4:20. logic, if you are a 3:00 runner, then you should be able to go 4:30 unless you really, really, really suck at swimming and/or cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marathon PR is 2:58; i've found it a lot easier to go under 4:30 1/2 IM but have not yet gone under 10 hours in 7 IM attempts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 10, 4.30 & 2 I reckon.

nec rege, nec populo, sed utroque
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree on sub 5 HIM (it is too easy, but it was a nice round number) I was just throwing that out there.

I guess one way of looking at this might be to measure the % of finishers that go sub 3 in a marathon and apply that to HIM / IM races. Then again, if the average finishers time is slowing every year since 1990, and the number of participants go up, that might skew the data a bit.

It's not a doctoral project. Just a random curious thought.

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ranked from most difficult and most rare to least difficult and most common.
Assuming easy courses & accurate distances:

1. sub 2 oly
2. sub 10 iron
3. sub 4:30 half
4. sub 3 marathon
5. sub 5 half
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's a magic number. People have different strengths and weaknesses. And your marathon time in an IM is as much a function of how strong a cyclist you are as it as how well you can run. But neither of those trump the most important factor in an IM - the mental aspect.

That said, as a 'rule' I've often heard though - take your 70.3 time, double it - and add an hour - to get your rough IM time.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [chur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub 3 Mary and a sub 2 Olympic are not in the same ballpark. Maybe a sub 2:20 Olympic or so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub 4:30 HIM
Sub 2:05 Oly

For me personally it's easier to train for a marathon as far as scheduling. Training for an HIM and bringing everything together seems to be more difficult. I'm pretty close to a 4:30 HIM and would feel the same way about a 3:00 marathon were I to train specifically for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it depends on the HIM and IM course. A tough bike course will be more influential on overall time. granted 112 is 112...but running strong off a flat 112 is easier than the adverse.
For example I would not put a sub 10 IM Florida in the same category as a sub 3 open.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sub 2 10ish olym
sub 10 30 im
sub 4:45 him

sub three in a marathon isnt all that hard to pull off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, those are some pretty fast equivalents everyone is throwing around (sub-2:00 Oly!!).

Granted, my perspective is a bit skewed since most of the guys I know are converted runners, but the converted runners I know who can run close to 2:00 for an Oly were running well under 2:40 for a marathon. For people from a running background, I'd guess that 3:00 is very roughly equivalent to 11:00/5:00/low 2:20s.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [tom1376] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sub 4:30 HIM
Sub 2:05 Oly
+1
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
logic, if you are a 3:00 runner, then you should be able to go 4:30 unless you really, really, really suck at swimming and/or cycling.

Ouch. That hurt, man. That really hurt.

(2:40ish marathon, 5:00 PR in HIM)

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [PaavoNurmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have gone 9:50 in an IM (IMCDA), but have never gone faster than 3:15 in a stand alone marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, I looked at the results from the Philly Marathon and compared results with some big triathlons.

3:00 marathon = top 2.66%
Top 2.66% = 69th place at IM Canada = 10:02
Top 2.66% = 41st place at Eagleman = 4:22
Top 2.66% = 51st place Philly Tri = 2:08

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those results are interesting Barry. I wonder what top 5% would look like? As a past runner, the tri splits seem way more difficult than a sub 3. I'm not super fast as a runner (never was crazy fast, but wasn't bad back in the day), but I'm pretty sure if I focused on it, I could go sub 3 in less than a year. I don't know that I could ever get near 10 hrs for an IM or 4:20 for a HIM. For an Oly, 2:08 seems tough but reasonable. I just did a a 4:46 HIM last weekend and 4th place was 4:22. My run split (and much of the run course was underwater was 1:39 and hurt like hell). The guy that had a 4:22 ran a 1:22. Pretty sure he could go well under 3 hrs for a Marathon. Of course he's gone like 9:15 at Kona too.

It was just a thought. I was curious what people would come up with. Here are my uneducated opinions:

Oly 2:08
HIM 4:40
IM 10:30

ADW

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last year (2008)
3:07 marathon (Sask.marathon =flat)
4:28 half iron(GWN)
10:32 im canada

thought it might give some more data for your question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is sub 10 IM and sub 4:30 HIM

But contrary to that, my best stand alone mary was 3:12, best IM 10:04 and best HIM 4:27.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally:
9:47
4:14 (possibly short)
2:52
2:05
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3 hr marathon equivalent in IM or HIM [PaavoNurmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, sub 2:00 oly means you have to be pretty damn fast at all three.

Sub 10 IM is not that difficult (done it twice and I'm nothing special). It's more about getting your nutrition right on the day then being particularly gifted. But then I don't see sub 3:00 as being super special either.

I think 2:05 is probably more on the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
FYI, I looked at the results from the Philly Marathon and compared results with some big triathlons.

3:00 marathon = top 2.66%
Top 2.66% = 69th place at IM Canada = 10:02
Top 2.66% = 41st place at Eagleman = 4:22
Top 2.66% = 51st place Philly Tri = 2:08
Wouldn't IM Canada be more top heavy than the Philly marathon? I think a sub 10 IM is more difficult to achieve than a sub 3:00 marathon. I would say a 10:30 IM (without drafting most of the bike) is closer to the equivalent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind marathons are typically run in cooler weather, whereas a lot of IMs and HIMs are not.
Quote Reply

Prev Next