Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
hogfish1 wrote:
Triathletetoth wrote:
My first ironman after one year of short course tri training and only 3 months of ironman training was a 10:05 at imc.

What you need
swim 300 m in under 4:20.
Bike 3.5 watts per kg at lactate threshold.( if your bigger then 180 lbs you will need more for all the hills on that course)

Run with the ability to do a sub 3:10 marathon. Or 5:30 min mile at the track.

If you can do all those goals then you are capable . Although technique means everything over such a long duration there are still alot of variables.

Welcome to slow twitch were your goals are put down by people that can't reach theirs good luck.

I meet all of that criteria right now except for biking. I don't even know what it means to "bike 3.5 watts per kg at lactate threshold". I'm new to biking so I assume that I can't meet that standard yet. Yes, I noticed many people here are negative. They focus on why I can't as appose to why I can. Thanks a lot for your input.

Isn't the implication in this response he claims to be able to run a 3:10 Marathon? Or is he saying he can run a single 5:30 mile, which is a meaningless metric?

a 5:30 mile isn't even that fast. If you were a weak swimmer and a so-so cyclist, you need to run a hell of a lot better than that for sub 10. 5:30 should be your 5k pace IMO.

Better to aim high than be marginal.

I don't think we're trying to be negative.... just realistic with target metrics.

You 5k, 10k, 1/2 Marathon times are all indicators of your running economy and ability... as well as mental toughness. Some folks can;t run a 5k faster than 30:00. I think some of that is they lack the ability ot HTFU in traiing and that leads to lower fitness and slower race times. It's a domino effect. My local pool is really warm. Therefore I can;t train as hard, so my fitness is lower and therefore my swim times are slower.

You will need a certain amount of power combined with a good position to average 21mph in a IM. Its' just a matter of simple physics. It's not about being positive or negative. Everything doesn't need to have an emotional connection.

Again, assuming you can just achieve what many struggle too after a decade of hard work, without any proof that you have potential, is insulting to those that have tried. Do a search. You see a LOT of love for folks that post on here with a realistic goal backed up by 70.3 times, marathon times, swim times, Olympic distance times. Some of those guys IMO sell themselves short and we're happy to tell them that they are indeed fast and can do even better.

We don't respond well to someone coming form outside the sport and telling us he spend 1/2 his week in the gym but yesterday decided he wants to be an endurance athlete, but had a goal to be faster than 95% of the triathletes out there that have been doing this for years or even decades.

We have provided plenty of constructive advice. You need to determine some benchmarks so you know where you need to improve.

Here's a better one. Look up the 2013 results. Find 5 guys around 10 hours in your age group. Cross reference them in USAT results database. Go register for thsoe races they also did last year. See how you perform. Compare your times and figure out how much faster you need to get. Results from IM athlete scale pretty well. A guy that goes 4:25 at Racine 70.3, can probably do around 9:50-55 at IMWI and might go 2:08 in an Olympic Distance.... and run a 1:25 1/2 marathon.

You generally have some good points but have to disagree on the 5:30 mile comment. I think my one mile time trial would come out to 5:40 and last two ironman marathons have been 3h25min

I'm a crappy swimmer and a so so biker yet last ironman was in 9:45 and my first one 2 years back 11:04 and I was even more crappy on the bike then

Sub 10 splits approx
- swim 1:05 (wetsuit current assisted)
- bike 5:10 (pretty flat and forgiving course)
- run 3:25

You don't need to be superhuman to go sub 10. I know I'm not
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't think a 1 mile run TT is indicative if anything related to Ironman run performance, that's the point.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you get to FOP (sub 10hr), those guys race a LOT and tend to be fairly consistent... though you have to keep an eye out for unusually slow run splits and pay attention to weather. Anyone can "fold" on a hot humid run. There's tons of results you can look over to compare times. So if you do early season sprint tri in 58:00 and a guy that went 9:50 at the IM your doing went 57:30, you not far off the mark.

For example, most folks racing IMWI in sept, will likely be at Kansas, Racine, Steelhead, Muncie or REV 3 Dells. Those that are FOP, may be in at least 2 of those races. Plus some will do a couple destination races too like Oceanside, NOLA, St Croix. I think one guys will be about 4 or 5 of those I listed. Some of these guys are best described as professional amateurs. They do maybe 10-12 races a season including 4-5 70.3's and 2 IM's.

So yes, LOTS of data out there.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing to consider is taking those indicator times (1/2 IM, Oly, all the splits everyone has mentioned) and the results of others at those indicator distances and realize that to expand them out to IM, your training must be adequate for the full IM. The year I raced 70.3 WC, I was trained and prepared for the distance as well as the specific course and busted out a 4:12. I'm confident that, even with conservative pacing, I would not have been able to pop off a sub-10 IM with the specific fitness I had at the time.

It's a big task for the OP to get sub-10, but I hope he does as a result proper training.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not IM performance, athletic potential

Bryancd wrote:
Personally I don't think a 1 mile run TT is indicative if anything related to Ironman run performance, that's the point.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [hogfish1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you ever hire a coach?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why Ironman?

Why right now?

Your goals are lofty. I like them, but this is a sport where true success takes a long time - read years and years.

Athletes coming from other sports who have competed at a higher level, often do well. You have the mind-set of an athlete, already wired in your brain. Other's just coming into sports from nothing, have an uphill battle with this. You know that it takes a lot of work. You can push through things and make the training a priority. The down-side to this, is that you'll tend to rush and push things a bit too much early on, and you open yourself to injury.

We have no idea of where you are at fitness wise, but normally, for a male who has the capabilities, I would say 10 hrs is a 3 - 5 year plan. Now, you may be some freak . . their are the truly gifted, but as I said, this is more a multi-year plan, where you embrace the training, the journey and the ups and downs, and the results will come . . . but only after a long time - usually much longer than people realize.

Also, I would suggest NOT to starting out and only start racing Ironman distance - take a few years, and get fit and maximize performance in the shorter races, sprints, and Olympics in particular. Years later you'll come back and think me for this. Trust me. Many get into the Ironman rut right from the get-go and never get out of it.

Best wishes.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 23, 16 7:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not impossible, but I'd place a healthy bet against you.

What's your name? I intend to forward this thread (as a cautionary tale) to other unjustifiably confident meatheads, and without a name I'm not sure I'll ever get any resolution.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andreasjs wrote:

You generally have some good points but have to disagree on the 5:30 mile comment. I think my one mile time trial would come out to 5:40 and last two ironman marathons have been 3h25min

I'm a crappy swimmer and a so so biker yet last ironman was in 9:45 and my first one 2 years back 11:04 and I was even more crappy on the bike then

Sub 10 splits approx

Good to know. I f nothing else, I feel more and more confident about my personal goal times. Of course what you "could" do and how well you execute may be totally different things. I was confident I could run 1:27 in my 70.3 last year but GI issues and poor bike pacing meant I went 1:31.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
andreasjs wrote:

Sub 10 splits approx

Good to know. I f nothing else, I feel more and more confident about my personal goal times. Of course what you "could" do and how well you execute may be totally different things. I was confident I could run 1:27 in my 70.3 last year but GI issues and poor bike pacing meant I went 1:31.

Hope you achieve your goal times!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Rest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that 2:10 is not fast enough. You have to have an extremely strong endurance/aerobic base for that to happen. I'm a 2:05-2:08 olympic guy and I would be praying to break 10 hours in a full. I also have a varsity collegiate running background. It was at a d3 school, but the background nonetheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A mile test is a very good show of running ability.

If you can't run 5:30 then you have no hope of 3:10.

If you can run 5:30 but in your marathon ran a 3:35. Then you made alot of mistakes with pace, form, nutrient.

Reasons 1 mile is a good test.

Easy to duplicate weekly or bi weekly. To long a run has to many variables, heat, wind, hydration. Mental focus.

I am not saying a 5:30 just meaning you have the full capacity to execute a 3:10 marathon but without a 5:30 mile don't think you can do a 3:10 marthon.

The same can be said for swimming if 300 m takes 6 min don't set your ironman goal for a 1:10 swim!

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I said if you can make those short paces goals you can do it with the right execution. If not make a new goal. he ays he can do it so why doubt him. funny story here, lake stevens 2013 ( pro friend training on course three weeks before) meets a guy on the bike, guy says doing my first triathlon here going to qualify for worlds. Pro friend yeah right good luck, ha ha. guy on bike qualifies for worlds beats said pro. ( later says I was a national rower). Don't assume they don't have talent because they are new to the sport.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omg... Lol.

Best of luck hogfish. I'll +1 to everyone who said get a coach. Getting a coach should be a top priority!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hogfish1 -

What are your most recent triathlon and/or distance swim, bike, and run results? Triathlon would be the most relevant. I think actual results will be the best indication of where you need to focus your remaining training time.

I wish you luck in your quest!
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [psihawk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fact that you asked for advice is admirable. The fact that you expected anything other than the very candid responses you got from the forum tells me that you know very little about the sport.

That said, welcome! I hope you take the advice of the group to heart and sign up for a reasonable distance with a reasonable goal time. You will learn to truly love and respect the sport and the athletes, who are every bit as tough as you proclaim yourself to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was reading through the "one shot at Kona" thread and reminded me of this....So did you get in? hows your training going? very curious to see if you follow through with this and hit sub 10
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: micaza75: Aug 27, 14 17:45
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [espejo09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did it go? Did you hit your 10 hour goal?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [SebastianK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Hogfish1 sold all his stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep. not as easy as it seems, I suppose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hogfish1 wrote:
Yup, and I will prove you wrong.

I'm a "freaky" sort of guy too. Trained MMA for 7 years at a major school which does not help in triathlon at all. I was born a "fast" runner. I hardly train now and usually medal in my AG.

All that being said... 140.6 is a different animal. I only did a sprint tri and a 5k before I did IMFL in 2012. A friend and I did it on a "dare" more or less with MINIMAL training. I'm 6'2" 192lbs and could run 1 mile in 5:12. I lost 4 toenails during IMFL. I was really humbled on the bike that day. I got a flat too (15 miles into the race) that took forever to change. I went 12:17.

You sound way more prepared then I was, but still I doubt you'll be sub 10. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hogfish1 wrote:
Okay this is for everyone. I didn't ask for an opinion on whether or not I could do this. I know what I can do. I make my own decisions. Y'all might look at me like I have two heads and that's fine.

Some folks here have been super helpful and gone extra miles to help me (thanks y'all). Now I have a better idea on how to go about training because of you guys.

I'll update on progress.

Did you go sub10 at IMLP?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [fastsi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since this was about the 2015 race, it seems only 12 people went sub-10. I am going to guess he probably didn't :)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 10 Ironman Training... Questions [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My extremely boring day at work allowed me to look into those 12, all of them have prior racing histories and most have previous sub-10s. (none 'new' to the sport by 2014)

This guy is one of the reasons for pink font statements being a thing

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply

Prev Next