Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail
Quote | Reply
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. The metal piece in the carbon frame that the seat post screw goes in to became loose. LBS called Specialized and epoxied it back in, but it didn't hold. As you tighten the seat post screw, the metal piece it is screwing into dislodges from the frame and starts to come out. Looks like it will need to be sent back to Specialized. Wondering if this is a unique situation or if others had the problem as well and what the result of the Specialized fix was.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had exactly the same thing happen two weeks ago. The bike store sent it back to Specialized who did the repair but it still didn't hold. Specialized are now sending me a new frame. The amazing part is that after the repair they accidentally sent out a replacement frame that was the wrong size. In the interim I had to leave for Ironman Austria so Specialized worked with my LBS (Gears in Port Credit, Canada) to build and box the bike there and the ship it to me in Klagenfurt - at Specialized's cost. It is meant to arrive tomorrow and I could not be more satisfied.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear Specialized was cool about, not so good to hear it was a problem for you too. Good news is that I bought a Specialized Road bike that I am getting fit for tomorrow....so I will have something to ride!! I guess my timing was good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No idea about the Shiv.. but the seat post retention design in the Transition is complete shite.... kind of a bummer to hear they may not have learned their lesson.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same problem, got some glue from specialized but it's not working!! Raceday is 5 weeks from now, crap!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Thisted] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thisted wrote:
Same problem, got some glue from specialized but it's not working!! Raceday is 5 weeks from now, crap!

My bike shop warrantied my frame. You should be able to get another and have your bike built in a week. I'm concerned it will happen again though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it looks like I am lucky enough to join this club now too! I have always had good luck with Specialized in terms of warranties but this time is most important of all! I have a race in 2 weeks and the bike just got dropped at the LBS yesterday (saturday). I REALLY hope they can resolve this ASAP and get me a repair or new frame immediately or I am SOL!!
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue, left side 3mm the other about 1mm.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [jmeitz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is your seat post staying in place? Are you getting it fixed right now? I started another thread about it and am trying to understand what you guys did to get a quick resolution, clearly the epoxy method is bogus and temporary at best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not getting mine fixed till after IMAZ. The seat post has not moved as of yet.

---------
Specialized Shiv
Scott Addict
Niner Jet 9
Niner RLT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neverenough - how did you get them to warranty the frame vs trying the epoxy route? I am being told they only epoxy now and there is no frame replacements. I am not actually desperate for a new frame by any means, I love my red SWORKS and they didnt make one this year......BUT.....I also want this to work without any issues! I dont trust the epoxy route and would hate to get to race day and have my seat post drop and make me look like a clown on a big wheel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also had this issue and my shop did the epoxy job. As of now, I have not any issues - knock on wood. I have not adjusted or removed the seat post as I've been worried about it happening again. We will find out in a week when I reassemble my bike in Vegas.

It would seem to me that if is a known issue and the fix isn't working, Specialized would have little choice but to warranty the frame. Am I wrong?

http://www.TeamRWB.org It's our turn!
Blazeman Warrior No. 387
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
Neverenough - how did you get them to warranty the frame vs trying the epoxy route? I am being told they only epoxy now and there is no frame replacements. I am not actually desperate for a new frame by any means, I love my red SWORKS and they didnt make one this year......BUT.....I also want this to work without any issues! I dont trust the epoxy route and would hate to get to race day and have my seat post drop and make me look like a clown on a big wheel.

My LBS called specialized after trying their recommended solution (epoxy) twice. My guess is that they now have better epoxy, or figured out how to make it work if they are saying they will not warranty the frame. As far as your seatpost dropping....I think this problem only rears its head when you are loosening and tightening the screw...and I would definitely not tighten the screw over 5.1 nm. I have my seat in place on my new frame, the screws are holding and I won't be loosening those screws again. I doubt it would happen again...but I have no need to move my seat post and won't be to insure it doesn't happen again. Other than epoxy, I do not know how else this could be fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK - well, I am hoping they get this resolved ASAP. I have to get a frame in time to rebuild the bike and leave in a week to go to my race. They came back with some other "solutions" but I am giving them a chance to re-think that before I post anything. I am going to have faith that Specialized will do the right thing for their customers, especially the loyal ones like myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NeverEnough wrote:
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue. The metal piece in the carbon frame that the seat post screw goes in to became loose. LBS called Specialized and epoxied it back in, but it didn't hold. As you tighten the seat post screw, the metal piece it is screwing into dislodges from the frame and starts to come out. Looks like it will need to be sent back to Specialized. Wondering if this is a unique situation or if others had the problem as well and what the result of the Specialized fix was.

I am having the same exact issue here. The metal plug that the seat post collar bolt threads into on the frame has popped out of the frame and is loose. If i try to tighten the seat collar down, the plug just pulls out more and more.

I use a 5Nm torque wrench, so I'm not over-tightening per Specialized specs. I heard a pop/creak while riding yesterday that I thought was the rear wheel shifting in the drop-outs. I stopped and noticed that the electrical tape I use to mark my saddle height was "pushed up" and my seat had dropped. I tried to tighten it back and that is when I noticed the plug is loose. Carbon below the plug appears to be cracked...

I am racing my "A" race in Lake Tahoe in 2-weeks. No time for warranty process.

One option is to order a non-cut seat post and let the new seat post just bottom out in the frame at exactly the right height....
Another option is to use some JB Weld or Marinetex to bond the aluminum to the carbon, but that would probably void warranty....

Murphy's Rule in full effect.... I'd got to LBS, but I am up at altitude camp in Mammoth Lakes,CA

http://www.triandcatchme.com
https://twitter.com/kevintaddonio
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [kevintaddonio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kevintaddonio wrote:
NeverEnough wrote:

The specialized solution is an epoxy that you let cure. Call them and see if they can send you epoxy or tell
You what to buy....they did that for my lbs.

I am having the same exact issue here. The metal plug that the seat post collar bolt threads into on the frame has popped out of the frame and is loose. If i try to tighten the seat collar down, the plug just pulls out more and more.

I use a 5Nm torque wrench, so I'm not over-tightening per Specialized specs. I heard a pop/creak while riding yesterday that I thought was the rear wheel shifting in the drop-outs. I stopped and noticed that the electrical tape I use to mark my saddle height was "pushed up" and my seat had dropped. I tried to tighten it back and that is when I noticed the plug is loose. Carbon below the plug appears to be cracked...

I am racing my "A" race in Lake Tahoe in 2-weeks. No time for warranty process.

One option is to order a non-cut seat post and let the new seat post just bottom out in the frame at exactly the right height....
Another option is to use some JB Weld or Marinetex to bond the aluminum to the carbon, but that would probably void warranty....

Murphy's Rule in full effect.... I'd got to LBS, but I am up at altitude camp in Mammoth Lakes,CA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup had the same issue. Seat went down again today after hopeful fix with the glue. Nine days out from IM Worlds! New frame is on its way to kona! Not too stressed! Need plan B though.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [jasmalec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jasmalec wrote:
Yup had the same issue. Seat went down again today after hopeful fix with the glue. Nine days out from IM Worlds! New frame is on its way to kona! Not too stressed! Need plan B though.

Did it just fail or have you been moving the post up and down? Not that it should matter.....but thought that if it's secure and set, that the likelihood of it failing would be minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have same issue twice.. Even after new frame. OIssue occured just before IMNZ on a 4 week old replacement frame, and epoxied inserts back in. Good for race, but now it's moving again. Specialized good about replacement frame, but what to do now?
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Bigdiesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frame #2 just failed. Lovely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that sucks. :( I have the Shiv and I travel with it pretty regularly. I use a torque wrench, sure, but from the posts in this topic is looks as if this failure is pretty much inevitable. I just hope it happens here at home and not at a race. Or you guys will see another "Urgent need a bike at ??? race!" topic that seem to pop up here every once in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Well that sucks. :( I have the Shiv and I travel with it pretty regularly. I use a torque wrench, sure, but from the posts in this topic is looks as if this failure is pretty much inevitable. I just hope it happens here at home and not at a race. Or you guys will see another "Urgent need a bike at ??? race!" topic that seem to pop up here every once in a while.

Yep….it's the first time I touched the seat post screw since I got the new frame in August of last year. I have been afraid to mess with it….but I needed to change seat height. I even used the torque wrench I purchased from Specialized….to be certain I had their tools. Really bummed….but at least I don't have a race in the next couple of weeks, and Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames. However, I would think they would be tired of replacing frames for customers. Nevertheless….it's a pain in the ass and wrong that I was afraid to touch the seat post clamp on a bike that cost several thousand dollars. With a number of incidents in 2013, I was really surprised to see the 2014 frames have the same seat post mechanism. The epoxy fix did not work on the last frame, so curious to see if they have a new recommended fix now. I just hope it is a permanent one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifetime warranty is nice but do you have to pay your LBS to tear down and rebuild new frame? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Specialized Shiv Seat Post Screw Fail [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Specialized reimburses them for that. So it's $$ out of their pocket to the LBS, frames they most likely end up trashing, and shipping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good to know. I had a frame fail on a Scott road bike. I had to pay LBS labor.
Quote Reply

Prev Next