Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never tried the Thule but our BOB Rev has been rock solid. The little guy is only 13 months but he has easily logged close to 1000 miles in it with long runs in the 15-17 mile range. It honestly doesn't slow me down all the much unless I am on a hill or really rough roads. On smooth pavement, it is more just getting used to running one handed. Never had an issue inflating the tire with a Planet Bike pump. I thought the lack of handle height might be an issue but so far no problems for myself (6') or my wife (5'4").

My wife got me one of these (http://www.amazon.com/...+stroller+cup+holder) to go with it. Not the BOB brand, but cheaper and got better reviews. Makes carrying a bottle or two and some nutrition on the long runs a breeze.

--------------------------
IMWI 2011 - check - 11:54
IMMT 2012 - check - 10:49
Michigan Titanium 2013 - 11:50
http://www.ironmanbythirty.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which one has storage space for that extra trucker hat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you get, make sure you can lock the front wheel, running with a front wheel that swivels is very dangerous (for the child). The front wheel can get sideways, skid and cause the stroller to tip over if you hit a bump at a decent speed. When you lock the front wheel the wheel base becomes longer and the center of gravity becomes lower so it's more stable (I have a bob revolution, fwiw). Also, it's not difficult to turn with a locked wheel, unless it's a really sharp corner you can navigate it without even lifting the front wheel off the ground.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They both do. But the benefit of the Thule is that the extra storage is covered. I can keep that trucker hat clean. Though maybe they're supposed to have some stains on them...
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the fact I did not know that sure I can vote that way. I have had it for 8 years so not like parents tend to keep up with who owns the older toys they bought/don't use any longer. You go with the info you have at the time of decision to vote...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You won't get reliable answers for this question because BOB has been around for so many years while the this is Thule's first year with a stroller. The Urban glide is just a couple months old. Very few people have used it or even heard of it.

I own a Chariot Cougar 2 and a BOB Revolution SE. My store sells many other strollers, and I've test-run with quite a few.

IMO, the best hybrid jogger (hybrid = front wheel can swivel or lock) is the Mountain Buggy Terrain. It's more expensive than the rest and quite a bit heavier, but the performance is just better than the rest.
2nd best is the Thule Urban Glide. I like it more than the BOB for several reasons: much easier fold, lighter weight = better maneuverability, better suspension, deeper recline, and better reclining mechanism, and zippered storage basket. It also has an adjustable handlebar, which the BOB Revolution doesn't, but the BOB Flex does. Overall, Thule is a better stroller than Beast of Burden.

3rd best is the Baby Jogger Summit X3. Better than the BOB. The lock/swivel adjuster is on the handlebar instead of on the front of the wheel, which means you can change it in stride. This is a beautiful feature, and almost made me rate it above the Thule. It has an easy one handed fold as well. Suspension on all 3 wheels, but weight is same as BOB, so that tipped the scale for me, and was the reason I voted Thule over the X3. No adjustable handlebar.

4th is BOB Flex. Same as the revolution SE except the handlebar adjusts. It's still a great stroller, and I'm happy with it, but better things are on the market, and BOB hasn't kept up with its competition.

If you find a killer deal for a BOB, grab it. Otherwise, if money isn't a factor, go with either the Terrain or the Urban Glide. If you don't have the Terrain to test in your market, don't get it, because there's a chance you won't like all the weight behind it.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [babytown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
btw, a hybrid jogger is by far the most popular choice. Not being able to swivel the front wheel is a pain. Dedicated joggers are more popular for race-only use, although some people do train with them as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [ironmanbythirty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, the reviews are one of the strong points to make sure about any product. Happy to see you find a best quality stroller. Recently I have also bought a stroller organizer for Jack my son from Booyah Strollers. I found some positive reviews about this product then I have decided to gift this to my wife at her birthday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
babytown wrote:
2nd best is the Thule Urban Glide. I like it more than the BOB for several reasons: much easier fold, lighter weight = better maneuverability, better suspension, deeper recline, and better reclining mechanism, and zippered storage basket. It also has an adjustable handlebar, which the BOB Revolution doesn't, but the BOB Flex does. Overall, Thule is a better stroller than Beast of Burden.

If you find a killer deal for a BOB, grab it. Otherwise, if money isn't a factor, go with either the Terrain or the Urban Glide. If you don't have the Terrain to test in your market, don't get it, because there's a chance you won't like all the weight behind it.

I went ahead and got the Urban Glide since I could cash in some airline miles and get it on the cheap from REI (added benefit is the member cash back). I think in total it cost me about $160.

Pros: Very smooth rolling. The thing just holds speed on the pavement once you get it up to speed.
Large awning for those sunny days
Light weight
Adjustable bar height.
Sleek looks (that matters, you know. The BOB looks like a tank in comparison).

Cons: When the seat back is at the highest position, the child's head can hit the awning swing arms. This happened to us once while walking around the neighborhood on some uneven sidewalks. Needless to say, he was irate.
To that note - poor head support and the harness is a bit narrow. It's not unsafe, but may not be as comfortable or secure as the BOB seat/harness combo.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. Construction seems solid. And while I found it to be a little bouncier than the BOB, the kid doesn't seem to mind at all. Pushing on a crushed gravel trail cost me about 15 sec/mile on our first outing. Smooth pavement is less than 5.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a Baby Trend because it was on sale and included the car seat.

To me BOBs are way to expensive and not worth it. For half the price, go with another brand. Its not like you are going to go set a PR pushing one. You just need it to get some runs in.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy, it depends on the mileage you put in. Baby Trend will not last. The bearings are junk. After a few hundred miles you'll be fighting with it to keep it going straight. North of a thousand, the front wheel will vibrate like crazy. We used to sell Baby Trend joggers, and stopped because of the horrendous return rate (we rejected most of these returns because they happened beyond the 90 day mark pursuant to our policy). You get what you pay for. If you want a cheap stroller for light jogging and don't plan on putting more than a couple hundred miles on it, then go with Baby Trend or Graco. Otherwise, save yourself the headache, return the Baby Trend, and get a quality jogging stroller like Baby Jogger, Mountain Buggy, Thule, or BOB.

Also, the Baby Trend car seats have the bare minimum safety features to pass federal crash test regulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I owned the BOB and the Charriot (now Thule). For running nothing beats the BOB. It is also the best at being a stroller. You will find yourself using it all the time. Once I got my BOB my Charriot was only used on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like the Mountain Buggy Terrain has a few adapters for car seats: http://mountainbuggy.com/...in-car-seat-adapters

Is there one you recommend?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
recommend as far as adapters or car seats? Or stroller?

The adapter you get depends on the car seat you have or will get. If you haven't gotten a car seat already, here are a few things to consider:

car seats will either have cradle adapters or side adapters. The cradle adapters are bulky, which isn't a problem with the car seat in the stroller, but in some strollers, these adapters prevent stroller folding, and others, it just sticks out really awkwardly when folded. Something to consider when car seat shopping.

Side adapters slide into a hole on the side of the car seat and clicks into place. These are small and unobstrusive, and allow for easy folding.

Car seats that require cradle adapters: Chicco, Peg Perego (older version), Graco (older version), Baby Trend, Summer Infant. The new Graco and Pegs use side adapters, but most strollers don't have adapters for them yet.

Car seats that use dedicated side adapters: Britax, uppababy, Maxi Cosi, Cybex Aton/Aton Q, Nuna Pipa, JJ Cole. Cybex and Nuna both have Maxi Cosi-style slots, so if the adapter says it fits Maxi Cosi seats, then it'll fit Nuna and Cybex as well.

What seat do I recommend? Nuna Pipa. No comparison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although you're referring to the Mountain Buggy, I want to elaborate on your subject of adapters.

the BOB does not make adapters for many popular car seats, especially the better quality ones. I know BOB is such a household name, but when shopping for a BOB, that's one thing to keep in mind.

If you're using a stroller for casual street running, I don't think you'll need to spend the extra $100 on a Mountain Buggy, but if you're a more serious runner going better than 7 min pace or running trails, there's absolutely no substitute for a Mountain Buggy. If you have time to wait, the new Mountain Buggy will be out around March 2015 with a more aesthetic frame and one-handed fold.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this has been mentioned but the new BOB Revolution has an adjustable handle height.

I have the new Rev and also the Ironman. LOVE the Ironman. Not a lot of miles yet on the new Rev since I just got it, but I liked the old Rev I had a while back.

ETA: My kids' nanny has switched from using our City Select double to the Ironman Double 100% of the time. She loves it as a regular stroller (but complains the front wheel doesn't swivel. The one on the Rev is locking/unlocking so I'm sure she'll switch to that as soon as I let her).

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Last edited by: Mendeldave: Nov 14, 14 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife is due at the end of March and I do like running fast as well as running trails. I don't want to buy more than one and am happy to spend more for quality.

I may not set a world record, but do want to be able to run a sub-20 5k and double podium for the stroller + dog division of a local turkey trot.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Wife is due at the end of March and I do like running fast as well as running trails. I don't want to buy more than one and am happy to spend more for quality.

I may not set a world record, but do want to be able to run a sub-20 5k and double podium for the stroller + dog division of a local turkey trot.

Going to try and break 20 again pushing a double stroller at a turkey trot in a week, assuming it is not raining. Then going to be stupid. Taking a 5 minute break
then pushing a single stroller in a 10K. Grandkids love it.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:

It really depends on what your priorities are. If you want the absolute fastest time in a race, and that's more important than anything else, then you need a dedicated jogger, not a hybrid. Dedicated joggers have a lower center of gravity, larger wheels, and longer wheel base, and they're lighter. The BOB Ironman is the best dedicated jogger on the market. You'll go ~5 seconds faster per mile in the Ironman than the MB Terrain on race day on a flat course. ~15 seconds/mile on a hilly course. If you've never pushed a stroller on a run, be prepared to lose 10 seconds per mile on a flat course, 30-45 seconds per mile on a hilly one.

If you use a dedicated jogger for any activity other than running, you'll hate them because the front wheel is permanently fixed. Hybrids are by far the most popular option because they can be set in the fixed wheel position or swivel depending on your needs.

Instead of having 2 joggers, one for training, one for racing, some people will just get a quality everyday stroller like a uppababy Vista or City Select, and then get a dedicated jogging stroller.

Mountain Buggy is too heavy/bulky to be a practical everyday stroller. If you want only one stroller for all your needs: everyday walking, training, racing, I'd recommend the Thule Urban Glide.
If priority is best race times in a road course, I'd recommend BOB Ironman + uppababy Vista/Cruz as an everyday stroller
If priority is training durability, trail running, I'd recommend Mountain Buggy Terrain + uppababy Cruz as an everyday stroller
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The BOB had issues with inflating the tires on the plastic wheels (too small to put a pump head in) and didn't have an adjustable height for the handle (the ones that did felt similar to the Thule in that there was some play).

Just bend the schrader valve slightly away from the plastic rim and I can get both my pumps to fit. Handle is not adjustable. I have two kids (80 lb!) and its really easy to push them along in the double bob... and its the off-road version with bigger tires and shocks! The single child road version must be ridiculously easy to run with.

-Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [triromad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triromad wrote:
I owned the BOB and the Charriot (now Thule). For running nothing beats the BOB. It is also the best at being a stroller. You will find yourself using it all the time. Once I got my BOB my Charriot was only used on the bike.

The Chariot trailers are very different from the Thule Glide. If you try it, you'll see the difference. Actually, you can just look at it and see the difference :)

The BOB Revolution is outdated, and is on the bottom of my performance jogger list. In the hybrid category, the Summit X3, Glide, and Terrain all are far superior than the Revolution, which was the subject of OP's question. However, for dedicated joggers with a permanently fixed front wheel, BOB Ironman is still ahead of its class. Thule Glide Sport and Baby Jogger FIT are definitely a step down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
babytown: thank you for your input, it is fantastic

We have a Thule Chariot and it was great for the winter last year (NYC) as it was super cold. The baby was out there with me at 20 degrees and her hands, feet and nose were as warm as her beautiful smile for up to an hour.

Mentioning the NYC, you can imagine storage is an issue. The Chariot barely folds and is humongous so we are figuring out a new solution. Our regular stroller is a Britax Agile 4, which is nice and seemed better in comparison to the City MIni. We are looking to replace both and your information is very helpful.

The Thule Brand stuff is solid and the Urban Glide is on top of our list. With a rain cover, it may be good enough to take our little girl out in the cold while she is bundled up in a bunting suit.

Do you think the Thule folds well? Sometimes we take the bus and you have to fold it up and it can be tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this info.

Does anyone know if you (from the side) grab the Thule Urban Glide, one hand at the front between the wheels and one hand one or near the handles and carry this stroller? This is useful when taking the subway in NYC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
babytown wrote:
kjmcawesome wrote:

It really depends on what your priorities are. If you want the absolute fastest time in a race, and that's more important than anything else, then you need a dedicated jogger, not a hybrid. Dedicated joggers have a lower center of gravity, larger wheels, and longer wheel base, and they're lighter. The BOB Ironman is the best dedicated jogger on the market. You'll go ~5 seconds faster per mile in the Ironman than the MB Terrain on race day on a flat course. ~15 seconds/mile on a hilly course. If you've never pushed a stroller on a run, be prepared to lose 10 seconds per mile on a flat course, 30-45 seconds per mile on a hilly one.

If you use a dedicated jogger for any activity other than running, you'll hate them because the front wheel is permanently fixed. Hybrids are by far the most popular option because they can be set in the fixed wheel position or swivel depending on your needs.

Instead of having 2 joggers, one for training, one for racing, some people will just get a quality everyday stroller like a uppababy Vista or City Select, and then get a dedicated jogging stroller.

Mountain Buggy is too heavy/bulky to be a practical everyday stroller. If you want only one stroller for all your needs: everyday walking, training, racing, I'd recommend the Thule Urban Glide.
If priority is best race times in a road course, I'd recommend BOB Ironman + uppababy Vista/Cruz as an everyday stroller
If priority is training durability, trail running, I'd recommend Mountain Buggy Terrain + uppababy Cruz as an everyday stroller

Agree, but honestly, the BOB Revolution (not Ironman) with its hybrid design is more than enough for pretty much any dad AND it's an awesome everyday stroller. It easily collapses even through the airport security scan without removing wheels. I had two strollers at first, thinking I'd only use the BOB for running, but it's such a good everyday stroller that I gave away the other one.

In most cases anyway, you'll be starting toward the rear, even if you're a FOP runner , and you'll lose a lot more time waiting for the slowsters to clear the way than you lose with your stroller. I still managed to win my AG with a 19:11 in a small local 5k despite starting literally last on line (I waited until the masses sort of cleared before I crossed the start mat - last.)

The Thule Glide I haven't used, but it looks pretty comparable to the BOB in price and performance just looking at the specs.
Last edited by: lightheir: Nov 15, 14 13:27
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide [digitalfitness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
digitalfitness wrote:
Thanks for this info.

Does anyone know if you (from the side) grab the Thule Urban Glide, one hand at the front between the wheels and one hand one or near the handles and carry this stroller? This is useful when taking the subway in NYC.

If you already have the Britax B-Agile, I'd suggest just using that one around the city. It's super compact and light weight. Do you need a jogger while in the city, riding a bus?

It's hard to explain how the Thule Glide folds. You should youtube it, but it's super simple. You can wheel it with one hand too while it's folded. Convenient.
Quote Reply

Prev Next