Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule Glide
Quote | Reply
Does someone have a recommendation for a new running stroller? I'm between the BOB Revolution (whatever model they have for a single kid) and the new Thule Glide (either fixed or pivoting front wheel). I checked them both out in store yesterday and couldn't really determine which is better, The Thule seems lighter, but a little less substantial both in the handle and suspension. The BOB had issues with inflating the tires on the plastic wheels (too small to put a pump head in) and didn't have an adjustable height for the handle (the ones that did felt similar to the Thule in that there was some play). As price is the same, I really don't have a bias outside of performance. would people suggest giving the Thule a go or stick with the tried and true BOB?

Edited title to specify the Thule Glide strollers, not their Chariot line.
Last edited by: xc800runner: Jul 31, 14 8:29
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [xc800runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never tried a Thule, but I never had any issues with using my standard pump head on the BOB tires.

As for fixed vs pivoting, I would say it depends on if you run on straight paths or not. I never fix my front wheel on the BOB as I am constantly turning every block or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a BOB Rev user for over 5yrs (single and double versions), can't comment on the Thule comparison but will tell you the BOB has been awesome for us. Quick release rear wheels to fold down in a roof box, nice rolling, go anywhere stroller, lockable front wheel is nice. We use it for running a lot but also nice for walks to the grocery store and throw your purchases in the basket underneath, moves easy in aisles at the dreaded mall, etc...we don't use another stroller. I hear you on the tire inflating, I've been able to do it with a bike floor pump however so it may be a minor inconvenience for you. Never thought I'd own over $1000 in strollers, I guess thats why my bike is stock.

Good luck with the decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The BOB certainly isn't the fastest, but it's rock-solid, and you can't go wrong with it. Yes, it's a bit tricky to inflate that weirdly placed tire valve, but it's not as hard as you think - I did it readily with either my floor pumps with normal sized heads.

The BOB was so solid that I took it pretty much anywhere I could run. This included some really gnarly off-road stuff, some of which was so steep that I slid down the incline on my heels, or so rocky that you had to dance your way across the rocks and bounce the BOB across. My kid loved all that stuff and always squealed with delight when we hit the terrain features.

The BOB has surprisingly effective shocks on it, which make it work well. It also has a really easy to use centering feature so if your BOB drifts left or right when you push it, you can fix it in seconds.

I ran a lot of miles with my kid in the BOB, and would recommend it without hesitation. My fastest 5k with it on a fast, flat course was a 19:11; at the time I was probably in 18:45 shape for the same cousre, so it clearly goes plenty fast if the course is right. (Hills KILL your time with a stroller!)

The BOB also packs super-fast - one pull of a handle, and it collapses. It will fit through the airport security without removing the wheels (which are quick release just in case.) I actually found it much easier to take my BOB on plane flights than a compact stroller, as you can stack other bags or stuff on the BOB readily, whereas a compact stroller will often fall over if you do that, and the BOB goes through security in seconds due to the one-pull collapse. (Watch the video on youtube on how it's done - literally 1-2 seconds.)

Unless you really have a need to get the absolute fastest stroller, the BOB will be all you will need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm voting for neither & going for THE CHARIOT STROLLER. It has attachments that turn it from a jogger to stroller, to bike carrier, to xc ski stroller (two long poles attached to your hips with little skis on it). There are more attachments than that, but it is the Rolls Royce of athlete strollers. I have one & it is pretty awesome & tracks straight when you run. It is a 4-season stroller.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Chariot is the BEST however you have to pay for the BEST too.
I run a ton with the Bob Revo and it has been great for the last 4 years- no issues whatsoever. Get a smaller pump head and you'll be fine. The BOB is the way to go unless you have an extra grand to drop on a stroller OR you live somewhere where you truly can justify a stroller that turns into a backpack trailer, a ski trailer and whatever else it turns into.

Bob is great! Good luck and have fun- my 4 yr old daughter grew up in her stroller and LOVES running because of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look at the Baby Jogger Pod. Like the Chariot it has all the extra extensions but fits through a standard doorway and fold small enough to fit in the trunk of a Prius. You can adjust the handle height and my 6'8 husband has no trouble pushing it. I bought it before baby #2 but in hindsight would have gotten it before baby #1. I like it a lot better than my single Baby Jogger (similar to Bob).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the Bob and is awesome

> ability to pack down quickly and easily a big plus - with wheels off can fit in the back-seat foot well of my wagon
> you can use in the city as is manuevarable enough to get into stores and around town
> Lockable front wheel is handy for when running fast but having ability to keep pivoted for most uses is great as well
> no problems inflating tires for me with the bob
> have run with mine on basic trails and the like and has handled well
> If you have kid 2 both can sit on it for short walks to the shops/playground

http://opensourcetriathlon.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been pushing a stroller in some run races with my grandkids. BOB's I have borrowed have been great.

But here is one thing I learned last year. I started a racing pushing a double BOB with my 2 grand daughters. I had the front wheel locked. As soon as I went off fast in the 5K,
the front wheel got thrown off to the side. I stopped 3 times trying to see if there was an issue. I finally had to just unlock it.

So, the BOB's with the front wheel fixed seems to be faster for just race stroller running since no hassles with a fixed front.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have insight on the Thule? I've played with it a bit in store, along with the BOB rev. and honestly there isn't much between the two in terms of features. The Thule is a little sleeker, but the front locking mech isn't as firm in the unlock position as the BOB. Not a problem for running, but the wife wants to be able to stroll with the little guy and a pivoting front is probably a must. Neither seemed to turn very well with the wheel locked and in the ground (I figure for an out and back 5k, just tip the stroller on the rear wheels and swing him around at the u-turn). I'm intrigued by the more sleekness of the Thule from a pure running standpoint (the fixed front version is somewhat similar to the Sub-4, and at one point in my life I was a sub-15 5k guy, so I want to be able to go fast, though likely not anything better than 17 I would suspect). I may have to check Let's Run or Runners World to see if there are any reviews out. I think they've only been on the market for a few months, so probably not too many in use yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
I'm voting for neither & going for THE CHARIOT STROLLER. It has attachments that turn it from a jogger to stroller, to bike carrier, to xc ski stroller (two long poles attached to your hips with little skis on it). There are more attachments than that, but it is the Rolls Royce of athlete strollers. I have one & it is pretty awesome & tracks straight when you run. It is a 4-season stroller.

I like the idea of the Chariot, but like all good people on ST, I tend to want specificity. A road bike works fine for triathlons, but we gotta have the TT/Tri bike, no? Strollers are no different. The chariot just seems to want to do too much. And living in Houston, currently, a lot of the attachment options are lost on me. No skiing, really no cycling with it here as I'm near certain to get hit on the roads and the bike paths are a mess (or just a mess to get to). I was hoping someone had real-world experience with the Thule (Urban) Glide and could clue me in on the performance of that vs. the comparable BOB versions.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I ve never even heard of the problem with the front wheel unlocking. I never once had that issue and I've done plenty of intervals and fast downhill running with mine. I wouldn't count that as a real concern with a BOB. I prefer running with the front wheel locked, but some folks who run my speed actually prefer it unlocked so they can turn faster without lifting the front wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Honestly, I ve never even heard of the problem with the front wheel unlocking. I never once had that issue and I've done plenty of intervals and fast downhill running with mine. I wouldn't count that as a real concern with a BOB. I prefer running with the front wheel locked, but some folks who run my speed actually prefer it unlocked so they can turn faster without lifting the front wheel.

I did not say the front wheel unlocked. I said if it is locked, and you push hard with weight, as I did with 2 kids in a 5K race, the spring is not strong enough and it will move the wheel over.
I have heard others tell me this when I was trying to find out what was happening. I just unlocked the front wheel to make free wheel and it fixed. But I had a friend race with me once
and on his, with the front wheel unlocked, and it may not have been a BOB, it was shacking all over when he was trying to run fast. So just when I have seen.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I guess that makes sense, although I honestly never experienced what you did, although at the same time, if I lock the front wheel, I lift it to turn it. My front wheel has not once 'given way' even while pushing hard at sub 6-minute pace on a track doing intervals, nor has it ever given way when I hit rocks or other pretty gnarly trail terrain that required some serious hot footing to get across.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Ok, I guess that makes sense, although I honestly never experienced what you did, although at the same time, if I lock the front wheel, I lift it to turn it. My front wheel has not once 'given way' even while pushing hard at sub 6-minute pace on a track doing intervals, nor has it ever given way when I hit rocks or other pretty gnarly trail terrain that required some serious hot footing to get across.

I only had it happen with the double BOB, when I had the kids at maybe 70 lbs between the 2. When they were smaller, it did not happen which is why I was so shocked.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again look at the Baby Jogger Pod. I have two small swivel wheels for just strolling and I have a fixed front wheel for running. I also purchased the bike trailer accessory but you wouldn't have to if there's no place to use it in Houston. You can customize this one for what you want/need. And I started using it when baby was one week old with the Chariot sling so no need to add the weight of the car seat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know the Thule, but I've had a BOB for 8 years and have used it through three kids and I LOVE IT. Love it. I cannot say enough good things about it. I have the SUS (Sport Utility) and it's the one with the fixed wheel, which I would'nt trade for anything. I've tried to run with another stroller of mine that has a lockable wheel and it just didn't work well for me.

The suspension is amazing - I run with other ladies in a running group and my stroller definitely takes the bumps in sidewalks and trails quietly and smoothly, the kid hardly notices anything and neither do I pushing it.

I use my bike pump to pump the tires.

I routinely push my almost 5yo in the stroller and am thinking to get a double BOB (the Ironman duallie) to take out him and his younger brother since they fight over stroller runs.

Good luck!
Cynthia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have the Bob Revolution. Having a pivoting wheel option is great and it's light and durable.

The problem with the job stroller concept is that my daughter always wants to get out of the stroller and run around and doesn't like sitting still while Daddy and Mommy are having so much fun running. Who can blame her?!

The apple doesn't fall far. Lol.

So, I used it a little bit between 6-12 months, but now that she is running around herself, I feel bad making her sit still and hardly ever take her running in it.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn't Chariot owned by Thule?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:

You can't really vote for neither because the Thule is Chariot. Thule bought the company and is now selling Chariot under the Thule Brand but still carry the same line of strollers. I was confused when I first saw Thule but quickly realized they are one in the same.

As far as the difference between the two I am just starting to run with my 9 month old and like the BOB but we might be getting a Thule because I really want to be able to ride with him in the future. The BOB single is nice but really wide at times when taking it shopping or running errands. I have a feeling the Thule 2 person will be similar in width. A decent umbrellas stroller is a good substitute when these won't do it all.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [simpy16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
simpy16 wrote:

You can't really vote for neither because the Thule is Chariot. Thule bought the company and is now selling Chariot under the Thule Brand but still carry the same line of strollers. I was confused when I first saw Thule but quickly realized they are one in the same.

As far as the difference between the two I am just starting to run with my 9 month old and like the BOB but we might be getting a Thule because I really want to be able to ride with him in the future. The BOB single is nice but really wide at times when taking it shopping or running errands. I have a feeling the Thule 2 person will be similar in width. A decent umbrellas stroller is a good substitute when these won't do it all.

Yes, Thule bought chariot and now has the Thule "chariot" line of strollers/trailers. They also have started producing a new running specific stroller that is effectively the same as a bob revolution called the Glide (and urban glide). It is the latter that I am asking about. I have some REI dollars coming in this week and will be making a purchase of one of them. I was just hoping to see of anyone had experience (good or bad) with the Thule Glide line.

http://www.thule.com/...rban-glide-_-1684897
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
I've been a BOB Rev user for over 5yrs (single and double versions), can't comment on the Thule comparison but will tell you the BOB has been awesome for us. Quick release rear wheels to fold down in a roof box, nice rolling, go anywhere stroller, lockable front wheel is nice. We use it for running a lot but also nice for walks to the grocery store and throw your purchases in the basket underneath, moves easy in aisles at the dreaded mall, etc...we don't use another stroller. I hear you on the tire inflating, I've been able to do it with a bike floor pump however so it may be a minor inconvenience for you. Never thought I'd own over $1000 in strollers, I guess thats why my bike is stock.

Good luck with the decision.

We have two BOB Revolution strollers, a single and double. The single is great for running and we have never had any issues with the front wheel. We almost exclusively used the single stroller for all occasions when we had only one child. Like the previous poster said it folds up nicely. We never had an issue fitting it in our Yakima roof box. The double stroller is great too (if you ever may need one), but there's a lot more weight that comes along with it. It can get away from you pretty quickly on the downhills if you're not paying attention.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a single an double Charriot - in hindsight we would have considered anything else! We used the jogger, stroller, and cycle trailer options. Absolutely loved them and used frequently in all 3 modes.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xc800runner wrote:
I like the idea of the Chariot, but like all good people on ST, I tend to want specificity. A road bike works fine for triathlons, but we gotta have the TT/Tri bike, no? Strollers are no different. The chariot just seems to want to do too much. And living in Houston, currently, a lot of the attachment options are lost on me. No skiing, really no cycling with it here as I'm near certain to get hit on the roads and the bike paths are a mess (or just a mess to get to).

Any chance of a second kid? The double Chariot is sleeker than the double BOB which is huge. I've got a single BOB and double Chariot, and with two kids the BOB is never used.

The flexibility of the Chariot to bike is fantastic. Ours gets switched between running and biking a couple times/week. Even if you don't have much safe riding, it's fun to just ride the kids to a park and back, or to the grocery store for shopping. They enjoy it, and I appreciate every little bit of riding I'm able to squeeze in. I also like the better all-weather capability of the Chariot, as it seals up great in the rain and stays warmer in the cold. It's like a little rolling tent, where the BOB is design is more open to the elements

One thing I love about the BOB are the car seat attachments, as they allow you to run with a much younger baby. The baby is laying down in the car seat attached to the BOB and doesn't need the neck strength to sit upright, otherwise I believe you are not supposed to run with a baby before they turn one? It's been a while... talk to your pediatrician.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Stroller: BOB vs. Thule [tballco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tballco wrote:
Any chance of a second kid? The double Chariot is sleeker than the double BOB which is huge. I've got a single BOB and double Chariot, and with two kids the BOB is never used.

I wish the answer was no (that may change as the little guy is still a couple weeks short of half a year), but I'm sure there will be a second one coming along soon-ish. Probably 2 years still. I really hope to never find a need to run with more than one, but at that point I may go with the Chariot. Or buy a second single and force the wife to run with me... I should also be somewhere a bit more bike friendly by then as I tend to move about a lot and the next 2-3 places on the radar are Denver, or more likely the Netherlands/Norway/Denmark - maybe Scotland, but that's a last choice.

tballco wrote:
I believe you are not supposed to run with a baby before they turn one? It's been a while... talk to your pediatrician.

6 mo is the standard thinking from most manufacturers. I would think so long as he has good head control, which my guy does, he should be pretty good to go. I can always toss in the supplemental head support inserts if I see him rattling about too much in there. And since I'm currently in Houston, I probably wont be running with him until October when it gets cool enough for him to be outside. The other option is 5am, and neither of us want to see that hour of the day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next