Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
jackmott wrote:
no idea about mountain biking

but I bet rolling resistance of a more durable tire has a much bigger penalty than the weight

I'd bet that as well. Although, you know what has a LOT of rolling resistance? A tire with a giant slice through the sidewall...

I think the take-home message should be that every race course has different demands. And if you think you've found an "optimal setup", then there's a race out there that will prove you wrong. Optimal equipment and pacing strategy are things you have to work hard at, if you're trying to shave seconds from your times.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
"Aaah...that's where you've run off the tracks. It's not the deceleration of the bike that's being resisted, it's the opposing forces. If there is no actual acceleration or deceleration, then there's no F due to mass. No "a", then no "F = ma"."

Still not seeing it. The opposing forces are still forces and F=ma for all Fs. Put anoither way for circular motion a wheel can be spinning at a constant RPM but their is still a centripital acceleration working on the wheel. You can't see any acceleration but its still there (and still related to M).

Try taking it out of the realm of bike where we both agree realistic mass changes make small diffences.

Take a truck and build a similar one out of balsa wood. One weighs 3 tons one weighs 30 pounds. Adjust the tires so that each has the same Crr. Start them rolling at 5 mph on level ground. You contend is that pushing them forward at 5 mph takes equal force to be applied?

I'm not contending it...the laws of physics demand it!

Let's simplify things even more: Take your 2 trucks into outer space and accelerate them to the same speed by firing a rocket motor. Then, cut the motor and tell me what happens to both...

You're confusing yourself with your centripetal acceleration example, BTW. I'm sure a "physics refresher" course somewhere might straighten things out for you ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
Jack, Tom or Jordan: what do you guys think of mountain bike wheel/tire weights? Obviously aero is taken out of the equation in this case. When it comes to tire choice for racing, my first prioriy is rolling resistance, but I struggle choosing between weight and durability.

For instance, some tire companies will put out two (or more) models of the same tire, but offer thicker casings for durability. The weight penalty for the more durable tires could be as much as 400 grams a set.

So...due to the nature of a typical mountain bike trail where there are steep climbs, lots of changes in pace, would weight differences have a similar (low) impact overall?

Due to the higher overall weight of MTBs in general, tire weight is even less of a "determiner"...for me, off-road tire selection is more about getting the right tread and psi for the course/conditions and then secondarily about rolling resistance. Once again, tire weight is way down on the decision tree.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
No where am I saying substantial. Take bearing friction out and only deal with air friction. Are you saying that a high mass gyroscope made of lead, vs a high (but lighter) mass gyroscope of the same dimensions made of magnesium takes exactly equal forces to keep from slowing down?

Yep...if the external surfaces are identical enough so that air friction is the same, what other forces will be need to be counteracted to prevent deceleration?

Are you familiar with "free body diagrams"? Are you familiar with states of equilibrium?

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:
Jack, Tom or Jordan: what do you guys think of mountain bike wheel/tire weights? Obviously aero is taken out of the equation in this case. When it comes to tire choice for racing, my first prioriy is rolling resistance, but I struggle choosing between weight and durability.

For instance, some tire companies will put out two (or more) models of the same tire, but offer thicker casings for durability. The weight penalty for the more durable tires could be as much as 400 grams a set.

So...due to the nature of a typical mountain bike trail where there are steep climbs, lots of changes in pace, would weight differences have a similar (low) impact overall?

Due to the higher overall weight of MTBs in general, tire weight is even less of a "determiner"...for me, off-road tire selection is more about getting the right tread and psi for the course/conditions and then secondarily about rolling resistance. Once again, tire weight is way down on the decision tree.

I'm glad to hear to say this, as I've moved away from the classic "weight weenie" tire selection method over the last two seasons. I'm finding that very wide tires that roll well (with the appropriate tread and PSI for the conditions) to be the fastest in general.

Getting back to what Jack and Jordan alluded to about thicker casings likely increasing rolling resistance - would this due to the stiffness of the casing?

Jon h wrote:

Still, the relationships between rolling resistance and normal force are far from linear..

Actually, by definition, Crr (the coefficient of rolling resistance) is the ratio of retarding force to normal force...in other words: a linear relationship.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
Getting back to what Jack and Jordan alluded to about thicker casings likely increasing rolling resistance - would this due to the stiffness of the casing?

Si. Although there are a lot of very funky things about tire casings. Like, for instance, the common "myth" (though perhaps that's not really the right term) perpetuated by Vittoria that higher TPI = lower Crr. Assuming equally pliable fibers, you actually hit the sweet spot for Crr at somewhere between 60-120 TPI. A higher TPI tire will actually have HIGHER Crr because of inter-fiber friction.

There's a LOT that goes into making a fast tire. And I'd say that it's certainly an oversimplification to say a thicker tire = stiffer sidewall = higher Crr. It's more likely that a thicker tire is probably designed with something other than minimizing Crr as the primary goal and that for numerous reasons, Crr will be higher. Anyway...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ShoMyOFace wrote:
I'm no engineer, but find this stuff fascinating, so thanks to all. Given the weight of rim and acceleration differences, I'm wondering if we used a real life example for a crit or CX race, what sort of energy saving/speed gain would you benefit from a rim weighing 400 grams versus 300gm. The 1000 gram example above is a bit large, but in an hour race with a hundred accelerations, I bet the savings really start to add up.................

I'll take that bet ;-)

I guess you missed my link in post #29: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...cceleration;#3255798

Typical accelerations in a CX race or crit are going to be at lower levels than the "attack" acceleration I looked at in that post...AND the 200g total rim weight difference you're assuming is half what I assumed. So...if you think that an extra peak pedal force loading of somewhere in the range of an extra 1/8 - 1/4 lb. is going to "really start to add up" over the course of short races like that, I think you're drastically underestimating how much peak pedal force you're typically pushing with anyway just accelerating yourself.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:

Still, the relationships between rolling resistance and normal force are far from linear..

Actually, by definition, Crr (the coefficient of rolling resistance) is the ratio of retarding force to normal force...in other words: a linear relationship.

Unless you are riding on this stuff. Then it's MUCH higher.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:

Si. Although there are a lot of very funky things about tire casings. Like, for instance, the common "myth" (though perhaps that's not really the right term) perpetuated by Vittoria that higher TPI = lower Crr. Assuming equally pliable fibers, you actually hit the sweet spot for Crr at somewhere between 60-120 TPI. A higher TPI tire will actually have HIGHER Crr because of inter-fiber friction.

There's a LOT that goes into making a fast tire. And I'd say that it's certainly an oversimplification to say a thicker tire = stiffer sidewall = higher Crr. It's more likely that a thicker tire is probably designed with something other than minimizing Crr as the primary goal and that for numerous reasons, Crr will be higher. Anyway...

Interesting...thanks for the info.

What I was thinking about specifically was the UST (mavic tubeless type) tires. In my experience they tend to have very stiff and thick casings. As you said above, they are designed with something other than minimizing Crr as the primary goal - in this case it is for air sealing without the aid of liquid sealant. That being said, I've never flatted for slashed a side-wall on these type of tires - oh those pesky trade-offs.

Rappstar wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:

Hmmm...that assumption of "equally pliable fibers" is a big one (and not necessarily a valid one). The reason that higher TPI casings are typically faster is because by definition the fibers themselves need to be thinner to pack more into an inch of ply. Thinner casing means lower strain through the casing for a given deflection. Lower strain in the casing means lower energy losses within the material.

Now then, if "higher TPI" is used the way that some companies use it (i.e. not the TPI of the "base" ply material, but of the TOTAL of overlapping plys), then yeah, higher "TPI" in those cases means a slower tire because they're just using thick casings and then using multiple layers.

Rappstar wrote:

I'm not so sure if I agree with you that it's an "oversimplification"...but, I do agree with you that there's a lot that goes into making a "fast" tire :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:

Yes, my mistake in framing it that way.

This, however, assumes that Crr is constant. Crr is function of normal force. I'll try and find some empirical data that confirms this...
Last edited by: Jon h: Apr 17, 11 18:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bonesbrigade wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:

Interesting...thanks for the info.

What I was thinking about specifically was the UST (mavic tubeless type) tires. In my experience they tend to have very stiff and thick casings. As you said above, they are designed with something other than minimizing Crr as the primary goal - in this case it is for air sealing without the aid of liquid sealant. That being said, I've never flatted for slashed a side-wall on these type of tires - oh those pesky trade-offs.

You'll probably laugh because I don't know of anybody besides me who does this, but I run "regular" MTB tires with Michelin latex tubes.

I had experimented a bunch with DIY tubeless liquids (i.e. DIY "Stan's") a long time ago and although it works well, I'm not a big fan of having the fluid dry out in the wheels if I don't ride my MTB often, although I did like the apparently lower rolling resistance. And if a tire does get sliced or flatted, it's quite a mess IMO.

Now, the UST design tires don't necessarily require a fluid, and as you point out they have an extra layer of butyl inside of them for air sealing. This makes them seem "slow" and "sluggish" to me.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon h wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:

This, however, assumes that Crr is constant. Crr is function of normal force. I'll try and find some empirical data that confirms this...

In the ranges of tire deflections we're talking about, it basically is constant. The only "modifications" I've seen to Crr have been related to velocity, but even then the effects are typically minimal, or being "confounded" with another effect.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably a better discussion for when we next drive to Tom's Farm... The point I was trying to make is that yes, you can make a thinner casing with thinner fibers, but those casings often have higher inter-fiber friction. Now, whether or not that ultimately results in a faster tire is open for discussion.

I had a fascinating discussion with the tire team at Specialized when I was last in Mo'Hill. You would have loved it. The senior engineer is a German guy (Wolf!) who has been doing tire design for 10years.

Even stuff just like cut angle for plies is fascinating (and rarely talked about). Same everything, but different cut angle, would result in quite different performing tires...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:

Unless you are riding on this stuff. Then it's MUCH higher.

Are you calling me dirt?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Jon h wrote:

In the ranges of tire deflections we're talking about, it basically is constant. The only "modifications" I've seen to Crr have been related to velocity, but even then the effects are typically minimal, or being "confounded" with another effect.

I am ignorant to the specific situations with a bicycle, Crr may very well not change much with normal force. My comments earlier were directed at a situation with trucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You'll probably laugh because I don't know of anybody besides me who does this, but I run "regular" MTB tires with Michelin latex tubes. "

No laughing here, I actually just ordered some michelin latex tubes for my mtn bike (for similar reasons you describe), but silly me ordered Schrader valves! Anyone want some 26inch latex schrader tubes?

asad137 wrote:
AnthonyS wrote:

This is why I'm an engineer and you're a professional shyster.

Remind me never to buy or use anything that you design.

rruff's test gets exactly to the heart of the matter -- if you can't feel the difference when the wheel is attached to no load, do you somehow magically think it'll be more noticeable when it's attached to the dynamic and inertial components of the trainer that will dominate the response of the system?

Asad

Actually his test removes the most important aspect of cycling, load. A bicycle is machine used to propel a human being, without load you are negating this most important fact. His test is moronic, and so are you for thinking it gets to the heart of anything.

And since we are talking about a very small difference in acceleration due to the fact that even super badass bikers really aren't very fast moving objects and most bicycle wheel weights are comparable, one has to be very specific in how to conduct this test.

Go back to your idiotic postulating on balsa wood trucks, free spinning bicycle wheels and all the other make believe crap. You might as well use a unicorn to conduct your fantasy tests too.

I am definitely through with this topic. I don't have time to enlighten idiots. It's entirely too frustrating and futile.

If anyone with a variety of bicycle wheels (some really light and some really heavy), ones with wildly different moments of inertia and similar weight (disc versus heavy rim with light spokes), a bike, a trainer, good strong legs and a stop watch wants to conduct a real world test that will show the differences, then PM me. I'll be happy to help someone with a functioning brain and ears.

As for the Asad and rruff types that already know everything, yet are somehow getting their asses kicked exponentially by Newton's Second Law written for rotational acceleration, you can all bugger off. For a bunch of self adulating smart people, you all are monumentally dumb when it comes to simple things.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AnthonyS wrote:
I'm seriously in awe that you asked two salesman and business owner types to explain rotating mass and inertia to you.....

I guess based on post count and forum presence they are experts though.

As for me, I prefer to ask my mother in law about food things (see is a graduate of the CIA and culinary instructor) and ask my father in law about wine (he actually takes trips with his wine distributor; I get to go to Italy next month too).

Suffice it to say if I were going to ask Tom and Jack for advice it would be about running a triathlon related business or perhaps even bicycle or triathlon racing.

You need a physics major or engineer.

I can perhaps even suggest a simple experiment one could do on their bike trainer to understand this fully..... but what do I know?

I don't really have a comment to make. I'm just responding so I can have a tag on your post.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
no idea about mountain biking

but I bet rolling resistance of a more durable tire has a much bigger penalty than the weight
I come from a mountain bike racing background and rotating weight is huge in that scenario as there are so many hills, turns, obstacles, etc and constant accelerations. You also need to be able to stay with the lead pack, explode to overtake and respond to constant attacks. The most popular racing wheels are those built with Stans tubeless rims because they are one of the lightest and they let you run regular (lighter) tyres without the need for tubes - the total combined wheel+tyre weight (i.e. rotating weight) is the lightest on the market that's the main reason why most mountain bike racers use them.

Time trialling is at the other end of the spectrum with very little accelerations I won't enter into that debate as it is already being beaten to death and there are much more knowledgeable people than me on that topic!
Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go back being a presumptuous prick and leave me out of it.

Sounds like a bad case of projection. You started off by presuming quite a lot about Tom A and jackmott that wasn't true... and the other part... let's take a vote on it?

I thought your suggestion about the trainer was a good one... or at least the way I interpreted it. If you put the bike in a trainer with no resistance and feel how hard it is(not) to spin up the wheel to a high speed, then that demonstrates just how little effect wheel inertia has on acceleration.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
bonesbrigade wrote:

Agree with you Tom, but wheel weight is a more significant consideration on mountain bikes than road bikes due to the much greater number of decelarations caused by braking. The kinetic energy in the wheel is lost to heat in the brakes. This might happen many hundreds of times on a technical mountain bike course, so a small weight saving in the wheels has more effect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even stuff just like cut angle for plies is fascinating (and rarely talked about). Same everything, but different cut angle, would result in quite different performing tires...

Do you remember any details? I'm curious because tire plies are usually at 45 degrees, and according to Mark McMaster on weightweenies, the "neutral" angle is 52 degrees... ie the minor diameter of bike tires contracts a bit to help hold them on. But Maxxis makes a "radial" model with an angle greater than 52 degrees (and they are super hard to put on... maybe to compensate), and I have a suspicion that Hutchinson tubeless tires may have a smaller angle to make them get very tight when inflated.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotating weight - jackmott, Tom A, explain this to me [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Do you remember any details? I'm curious because tire plies are usually at 45 degrees, and according to Mark McMaster on weightweenies, the "neutral" angle is 52 degrees... ie the minor diameter of bike tires contracts a bit to help hold them on. But Maxxis makes a "radial" model with an angle greater than 52 degrees (and they are super hard to put on... maybe to compensate), and I have a suspicion that Hutchinson tubeless tires may have a smaller angle to make them get very tight when inflated.

Uh, I remember all the details. ;)

A wider cut angle results in more compliance but increased rolling resistance. A narrower cut angle results in less compliance but decreased rolling resistance. Of course, this doesn't necessarily consider the effect of compliance on rolling resistance. And of course, it's also dependent on what sort of specific compliance you are looking for. It was a LONG conversation. Much of it was related to an article I'm currently working on (or supposed to be working on, but I'm replying to you).

Anyway, in response to your radial question, I do have a specific answer on that. Radial tires require a circular belt to provide structure and that extra belt basically makes the tire quite poor for rolling resistance. So I'd say that the Maxxis tire is probably very compliant (though perhaps it's a bit of a tough discussion to have without actually defining what that specifically means) but probably doesn't roll very well because of a lot of hysteresis within the tire itself.

Quote Reply

Prev Next