Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
...as I went to power away the chain was off.

...What would you do? I'm inclined to stick with 1x

What gear where you in on the 11-32 when it came off? Did it come off to the inside or outside of the chain ring?

I'd check the old chain for stiff links just to put your mind at rest. As someone else said the most likely one is the power link and if that was stiff you probably won't know now if that is how you took it apart.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex-cyclist wrote:
We've had a few people test it at A2. In these cases they pulled the hanger tab off as well. They did leave the small ring on. The net difference with a rider on has been within the margin of error at both zero and yaw. Everyone decided it was better to keep the front derailleur and have more gearing choices.

The is quite simply a lot of very dirty air around the front derailleur because of the rider pedalling. Again this is an instance where bike only testing does not accurately translate over to rider on testing.

kileyay wrote:
For those of us who don't have an FT of >5 W/kg and don't grind away at 78 RPMs, can you run the math on the difference between an 11-25 or 11-28 and an 11-36 or 11-40, aerodynamically? Or on how much drag a cassette contributes in total? The assumption in your posts seems to either be that there is no difference between these cassette sizes or that you would simply run the same cassette for 1x...

Without running any numbers my guess would be that, with a pedaling rider on the bike, these two things close to net out. But that's just a hunch.

As to this broader argument that keeps coming up on 1x vs 2x...why do we keep having it? This is something that's personal to you and where you ride and how you ride and how well you ride and the ways you feel comfortable or uncomfortable riding. It's not all that different from an argument about saddles, but we don't get on here and debate that. What is it 1x riders can't accept about 2x riders and vice versa? And why so much proselytizing on both sides? There's no need for all this zealotry about your drivetrain selection, people

I am vindicated and smug now. Goes to show that the called Slowtwitch "experts" in this thread have no idea how to apply theoretical calculations to reality and the science is about explaining what happens in the real world, not forcing the real world to follow flawed "expert" assumptions and calculations so that it conforms to false idioms.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you for bringing the data..

didn't know the FD was so expensive in aero money.. hmm..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

I am vindicated and smug now. Goes to show that the called Slowtwitch "experts" in this thread have no idea how to apply theoretical calculations to reality and the science is about explaining what happens in the real world, not forcing the real world to follow flawed "expert" assumptions and calculations so that it conforms to false idioms.

Are you smug because you estimated it was 10W worse for 1x and some tests figured it was a wash? Aero didn't figure in your op or the video. If the two setups are even on aero that does not make people running 1x fools - that was your statement and I can't see how anyone would consider that was vindicated.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Shinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shinny wrote:

Just like you, I can't justify 1x on my road bike - the climbs, and flats, and rollers all in one ride - all those really good reasons you stated, then reiterated. I've tried to convince myself I could 1x on even one of the road bikes, can't...
TT and mtb, 1x and never going back.
I was just pointing out even though I think 2X is best for me I can still see how 1X might work for some people and situations.

I could get away with a 1X for TT's but then I would need to change back to 2X for Triathlon. On the other hand I am moving away from triathlon and it would be nice to get rid of one of those stupid shift cables hanging in the wind.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Hybridlete wrote:

Are you smug because you estimated it was 10W worse for 1x and some tests figured it was a wash? Aero didn't figure in your op or the video. If the two setups are even on aero that does not make people running 1x fools - that was your statement and I can't see how anyone would consider that was vindicated.

No, I am vindicated and smug because one of the others posted saying a front derailleur hanger has way more drag than the entire downtube of a bike and that 1X is so much more aero than 2X just by getting rid of the FD hanger. I said that was stupid and not believable, not even common sense. He said it's because the FD hanger is a flat plate and he can prove his erroneous assertions with fancy calculations. I said it's actually curved with a big hole in it and is sheltered by the downtube. And now someone posted that they tested this exact thing in the wind tunnel and I am totally right. Goes to show that we need more common sense and less "experts" giving laughable assertions.
Last edited by: Hybridlete: Jul 10, 17 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
thank you for bringing the data..

didn't know the FD was so expensive in aero money.. hmm..

That's because it isn't. He gave you wrong information. The wind tunnel test the other poster posted about shows he is totally wrong about the stage of a FD.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heath, I don't suppose you ever tested anyone who used 1x to narrow Q factor?
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Shinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shinny wrote:
Just like you, I can't justify 1x on my road bike - the climbs, and flats, and rollers all in one ride - all those really good reasons you stated, then reiterated. I've tried to convince myself I could 1x on even one of the road bikes, can't...
TT and mtb, 1x and never going back.

Count me in as another MTB/TT 1x idiot like Shinny.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Last edited by: refthimos: Jul 10, 17 13:25
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

That's because it isn't. He gave you wrong information. The wind tunnel test the other poster posted about shows he is totally wrong about the stage of a FD.

I'm going to need Rinard to present his testing methodology along with the plot of drag at various yaw angles with and without a FD mount, including error bars to show what the testing uncertainty and variance is.

Strange that a random post that supports your assertion is immediately valid and doesn't require quite the same level of proof you were demanding from Rappstar.
Last edited by: dgunthert: Jul 10, 17 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's because the claim that Rappstar made about a tiny, sheltered 2X FD hanger having more drag than an entire downtube is outright non-sensical, illogical, and outlandish. He made such an obviously wrong and unbelievable claim that it is right to push him to provide evidence.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
For those of us who don't have an FT of >5 W/kg and don't grind away at 78 RPMs, can you run the math on the difference between an 11-25 or 11-28 and an 11-36 or 11-40, aerodynamically? Or on how much drag a cassette contributes in total? The assumption in your posts seems to either be that there is no difference between these cassette sizes or that you would simply run the same cassette for 1x...

Without running any numbers my guess would be that, with a pedaling rider on the bike, these two things close to net out. But that's just a hunch.

As to this broader argument that keeps coming up on 1x vs 2x...why do we keep having it? This is something that's personal to you and where you ride and how you ride and how well you ride and the ways you feel comfortable or uncomfortable riding. It's not all that different from an argument about saddles, but we don't get on here and debate that. What is it 1x riders can't accept about 2x riders and vice versa? And why so much proselytizing on both sides? There's no need for all this zealotry about your drivetrain selection, people

Well...it might be because we're starting to see bikes designed to ONLY allow for 1X (see 3T Strada), and some might be worrying it's the next "road disc brake" or "thru axle" type push that although in the short term increases choice, eventually decreases choice (see "26 inch MTB wheels/tires")...whereas on the opposite side, there's a need to rationalize the choice made.

I think about 1X drivetrains like I think about non-round chainrings: If it feels good to you, have at it.

Just don't ascribe "magical" properties to your choice ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

I think about 1X drivetrains like I think about non-round chainrings: If it feels good to you, have at it.

Part of the frustration of the 1x zealots (like me) is that we have ridden both 2x and 1x (and 3x), while the anti-1x crew points to gear calculators and how they think they would feel.

Same reason I can't weigh in on disc brakes for road bikes. I have never tried them so I can't make an educated statement about them.

I have no more front derailleurs on my bikes and I know what I give up for the simplicity and enjoyment - top-end range and smaller jumps - but to me it is worth it.

If I was a road racer, you can bet that where I live, my race bike would be a 2x.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Part of the frustration of the 1x zealots (like me) is that we have ridden both 2x and 1x (and 3x), while the anti-1x crew points to gear calculators and how they think they would feel.

Same reason I can't weigh in on disc brakes for road bikes. I have never tried them so I can't make an educated statement about them.

I have no more front derailleurs on my bikes and I know what I give up for the simplicity and enjoyment - top-end range and smaller jumps - but to me it is worth it.

If I was a road racer, you can bet that where I live, my race bike would be a 2x.

I gave my only 1X set up rig to my son to use as a college campus beater. It worked great for my flat commute ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, I'm pretty "agnostic" on the subject.

I'm not super-sensitive to larger jumps between gears (as evidenced by my 8-speed setup with a 12-30 cassette, and my "all-road" bike with a 10sp 11-42 cassette)...but, on the other hand, ALL of my bikes have front derailleurs and I have ZERO issues with them nor dropped chains...

Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
I converted my Plasma TT bike to 1x. Been riding it for four months and I was definitely a convert HOWEVER........... I dropped my chain the other night and I don't know how I did it, came up to a junction freewheeling and as I went to power away the chain was off.

Problem is I'm 1 week away from my target race (Ironman UK) and I'm in two minds about converting back. I was totally convinced that 1x was preferable for me but the road surfaces on the IMUK course are awful and I'm worried it'll drop again. I'm fine with the gearing I run 52 x 11-32 and I've ridden the course many times (it's less than 5 miles from my house) including yesterday and it's always been fine. I prefer it because on a course like this I am constantly changing gear and it's just easier to not bother with front shifts. I've checked the chain and it's not stretched, I run a SRAM narrow wide chainring mated with a Di2 10 speed rear mech (7970) so there is no clutch. I put a new chain on just for peace of mind, the cassette has only been on two weeks so I know it will mate.

What would you do? I'm inclined to stick with 1x

Check that your free wheel coasts smoothly. A loss of chain tension along the top will throw a 1x chain pretty easy. I had a little rub between my disc and cassette and it took a bit to figure out the problem. Your freewheel needs to be "free"
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Tom_Hughes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing that specific. Tested a track setup but even that has a pretty standard Q. Someone would have to modify a crank and compare it to a standard one. The wrenching would eat up a lot of tunnel time.

I know back in the early 00's Trek produced a bike with a special narrow BB that tested faster at LSWT. Walser also produced one and several track bikes used in the olympics. That's about the only known data points I have.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WRONG!
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was roughly in 14 or so, on a flat road having just finished a threshold effort. The chain came off to the outside of the chainring. The chain seems fine, nothing stiff at all. It's a connex wipperman chain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a TT bike could be perfect for a 1x. A TT bike is essentially a track bike with gears. A track bike is a fixie, so a single chain ring.

For most nearly all TT's and Ironmans I see no need for anyone to ever get out of a compact 50 big ring while running a fairly standard 11-28.

For a dual-duty proper road bike that gets fitted with TT bars on occasion, stick with the double ring. If you're a TRUE road rider, at some point you're going to sprint faster than some 1x setup will allow AND you'll grind slower up a hill than a 1x setup with 11-28 will do.

I've put TT bars on my Propel and I've also taken on some Cat III and up to HC climbs also. Good luck on an HC climb with a 1x that has any flat-speed capability.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot on!! imagine that...someone has a preconceived idea/conclusion about something and as soon as they see some information to support it, that say "that's is...see I told you" while discounting any information to the contrary.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because your audience isn't just him...others appreciate your thoughts/time... always remember that
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
1x is a case where Shift technology might prove prescient.

You might be right. A post last year described a ST'er testing either a QR cd01 or illicito as 2x and 1x, and found the 1x was slower by the equivalent of 3-4 watts. I was really surprised (and disappointed!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
I don't think that is what is happening. The original statement here totally dismisses 1x. I think most 1x people here are just defending it's place, which would be as a valid option alongside 2x. I haven't read anyone dismiss 2x but I may of missed that. Support of 1x might sound over the top but you have to put that in the context of the original post.

Personally I think 2x is the safer choice that will work for a wider range of riding. You should think about your ratios if you are going 1x. But I don't think 1x limits your range as much as some might assume without doing the research. Both have their place but every time cassettes get more speeds the utility of 1x increases.

When you put it like that...

But no. I think you and many others missed the point of the original statement, which was made by someone who has clearly been around here a long time and is now posting under a new handle pretending to be dumb. The OP was written to stir up the 1x mafia and inflame their emotions about the great drivetrain debate of our time. And stir up/inflame it did. It was a pretty solid troll and indictment of a movement that has taken on more dogma than it, in my opinion, should.
Quote Reply
Re: Really Good Video on Why 1X Drivetrains Are Bad For Racing [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Well...it might be because we're starting to see bikes designed to ONLY allow for 1X (see 3T Strada), and some might be worrying it's the next "road disc brake" or "thru axle" type push that although in the short term increases choice, eventually decreases choice (see "26 inch MTB wheels/tires")...

I think you're reaching on this one. The analog you should draw is to the demise of the mountain bike front derailleur, which actually seems to have been a consumer-demand driven phenomenon that won out on the merits of the product offering, not by the push of industry. Choice was not diminished. SRAM bet on the XD driver with a 10T cog going up to 42T and Shimano bet on Synchroshift di2 tech. We know who won that one.

There is one bike out there that doesn't have a mount for an FD hanger, but that also seems to be part of a specific strategy to shift the 1x paradigm to 12 speed or 13 speed drive train via a unicorn freehub body. The bet from 3T seems to be that a 10T with 12 and 13 speeds is the tipping point for 1x to go from a niche use case to widespread adoption, and putting these eggs in the XDR basket without larger industry players on board seems tantamount to Specialized's experimentation of the 135mm thru axle standard in the 2016 cx frames.

I'm not betting against 3T either, even though it's a ballsy move to be a first mover here. But in general, regarding the Strada and the removal of the FD hanger -- this was their logic:

Bikerumor wrote:
The biggest new thinking is about the clutter around the crankset with water bottles, front derailleurs and two chainrings. All of that blocks wind and forces air to go wider, all the way out around the legs. Getting rid of the front derailleur and small chainring lets air flow around the seat tube, between it and the chainring, keeping it more streamlined against the bike.

I call bullshit. I want to see the test rig that determined that the front derailleur was pushing all that air around the legs, which is something different than rappstar is saying in this thread. Or are we in CFD la la land at this point? This goes back to what Heath was saying about how there's all this turbulent air down there, which probably renders any test data without pedaling legs next to useless.

The only way it makes sense to remove the FD hanger on new gen aero bikes is to actually prove the above point (as relayed by Bikerumor) and to convince 2x-inclined consumers of it. Otherwise as a manufacturer, you eliminate choice and by extension reduce your potential customer base, which just won't make sense for most companies.
Quote Reply

Prev Next