Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Wow, I must have gotten lucky...

I ordered linear pull CX brakes, GP4000s and a couple chains from PBK... 2 months later nothing. Filled in their form and had a refund within a week.

So what is everyone's favourite place to buy GP4000s these days?

Normally I get tires from worldclasscycles.com cuz they carry a few 650C tires that I like.

Prices aren't great all of the time but they normally have stock.

Biketiresdirect.com normally has good deals on tires too.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
So what is everyone's favourite place to buy GP4000s these
days?

I typically buy from PBK and just order them well ahead of when I need them. The last set of GP4000s I bought from Amazon for the same price as PBK and they were shipped fast.
I also use Mich Pro4 Service Course if I can get a deal on them at the time I can't find a deal on GP4000s. The Service Course is the only one I would buy for Pro4's. The race tire wears out really fast in my experience.

Amazon
Conti GP4000s at $39 US per tire, but they are currently out of 23mm on the link I looked at
Mich Pro4 Service Course $38 US per tire and they have various widths listed

With those type of prices at Amazon and domestic shipping I probably will look there first before going back to PBK especially since I already have Amazon Prime.

Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [VJL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm confused, they offered a refund or a replacement. Is it that they can't do a refund for Paypal? I have had 2 problems over the years with PBK. Once a package came torn open and some brake pads were missing. The credited my card within 24 hours. I also once ordered a chain and it didn't have the Shimano pin included, they gave me a discount in less than 24 hours.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jaretj wrote:
I ordered something from them on Jan 6 and received it today.

Just FYI for anyone. My order was over $200 ($202) so it got inspected for customs.

Duty was $.70 but the total fee was $22.20 so I got hosed pretty good on that one. Perhaps if I kept it under $200 I would have saved the $22.20. I have no problem paying duty but another $21.50 is BS.

jaretj

Understand the duty cost, but what was the 'fee' for?

PBK contacts with a shipper (Forgetting the name of that shipper at the moment). This shipper claims they are offering a service to pre-clear your package. I had a similar situation where I was charged ~$20 processing on $2 in customs fees. There was nothing I could do--I had to pay or they'd not release my package.

The email I got from the processor looked very much like phishing, too.

That was my last order with PBK; over the years I had many but this was the final straw for me. I find Wiggle & Ribble to be much better these days.

I did complain to PBK and they credited my account for the processing fee so at least that was something.

I'm not opposed to paying a processing fee, but this was excessive.

Same thing happened to me. Apparently $200 is the trigger. It did read like a phishing scheme, but in any case I just told them to send it back. PBK doesn't warn you about this customs thing, so it was a deal breaker for me. PBK said they would cancel the order, but I waited a couple of weeks and they hadn't, so I entered a dispute with Amex and got it credited.

Fortunately, my two items were each individually under $200, so once they came on sale again I made two separate orders and received the items in a timely manner. So I'll still use PBK, but cautiously.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it with AirCityPost?
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
Was it with AirCityPost?

Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jaretj wrote:

Just FYI for anyone. My order was over $200 ($202) so it got inspected for customs.

Duty was $.70 but the total fee was $22.20 so I got hosed pretty good on that one. Perhaps if I kept it under $200 I would have saved the $22.20. I have no problem paying duty but another $21.50 is BS.

jaretj

PBK contacts with a shipper (Forgetting the name of that shipper at the moment). This shipper claims they are offering a service to pre-clear your package. I had a similar situation where I was charged ~$20 processing on $2 in customs fees. There was nothing I could do--I had to pay or they'd not release my package.

That was my last order with PBK; over the years I had many but this was the final straw for me. I find Wiggle & Ribble to be much better these days.

I did complain to PBK and they credited my account for the processing fee so at least that was something.

Same thing happened to me. Apparently $200 is the trigger. It did read like a phishing scheme, but in any case I just told them to send it back. PBK doesn't warn you about this customs thing, so it was a deal breaker for me. PBK said they would cancel the order, but I waited a couple of weeks and they hadn't, so I entered a dispute with Amex and got it credited.

Fortunately, my two items were each individually under $200, so once they came on sale again I made two separate orders and received the items in a timely manner. So I'll still use PBK, but cautiously.

Ian

to be fair, customs fees are not a PBK-specific thing. i believe they DO warn buyers that duties may be imposed (it may be buried in the fine print). in any event, it is up to the buyer to know whether the goods they are purchasing may be subject to duties. one can find that information on the internet in the form of harmonized codes.

the issue i had is the Air City Post applies hefty processing fees on top of the customs fees. it is totally normal for shipping companies and/or processors to do this as part of facilitating the customs process. for example, UPS will front the money for the customer so as not to delay the package. what is not common is a 10x mark-up -- particularly when ACP are not taking on any risk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Going through this right now. Ordered in early December. Never arrived. Notify them after waiting 45 days. They then ship out replacement order (still not received) and they do not ship one of the items I paid for (Dura Ace chain). Now almost 2 months after ordering and paying and I still have no product...just a promise that they have re--sent 2 of the 3 items I paid for.

Probably won't deal with them again.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [ludlaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar boat, but they handled mine and issued a refund. Two separate orders from beginning of December never showed up. Filled out their claim forms and in a few days my money was refunded. Sure enough about a week later the two shipments show up. It was from Dec 3 to Jan 24, so more than enough time past. I notified them that I received them and will send back. They're going to credit me the return shipping too.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll never order with them again. I paid an expedited shipping fee. Then I found out I had to pay an extra duty. Two weeks later I can't get any updates shipping info or any replies. Avoid them like the plague. I trust shipments from China much more than them.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying I'd never buy from them again. They had a good deal, I jumped on it, got hit with the extra fees and had to pay them. Shame on me to think there wouldn't be any.

My problem is with Air City Post with their $20+ markup. That took away the savings I could have had.

Pro Bike Kit delivered the items I ordered as promised. This time it cost a little more.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [gregarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregarious wrote:
I'll never order with them again.
Same here. I don't mind paying a duty, I'll factor that in to the overall cost, but I'm not paying exorbitant admin fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very strange there have been so many issues I have always ordered my tires from them when they do a deal. I just got 2 gatorskins and 2 4000s shipped for free with the 15% off deal. took about 2 weeks to get to Colorado but I was in no rush that's why I do it now during winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
Very strange there have been so many issues I have always ordered my tires from them when they do a deal. I just got 2 gatorskins and 2 4000s shipped for free with the 15% off deal. took about 2 weeks to get to Colorado but I was in no rush that's why I do it now during winter.

As long as your order is under $200 you won't have the duty + fee issue.

So the sweet spot for PBK is > $75 so you can get the free shipping and < $200 so it doesn't get held for ransom by AirCityPost.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Exige wrote:

So the sweet spot for PBK is > $75 so you can get the free shipping and < $200 so it doesn't get held for ransom by AirCityPost.

Ian

WOW the duty threshold in the US is really low, we can ship in goods up to $1000 in Australia (for now, current government wants to change this). I use wiggle for all my gear, never had any problem, one package got lost and they resent it after i emailed them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered 4 tubulars from PBK back on Dec 26th and when they had yet to arrive this week I emailed them and 3 days later a box came Global Express Mail -from Amsterdam?- with the 4 tires I had ordered. No paperwork of any kind included so all I can assume is that PBK acted very quickly on my email and had replacements shipped to me very immediately -not happy about waiting a month but VERY HAPPY with their quick action on resolving what was probably a postal error not their error.

Note I have ordered many things over the years from Pro Bike Kit and have typically been very happy with price and generally satisfied with delivery time.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [old man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a thread on MTBR about something very similar. Like others, I've had good experience, but have crossed them off the list.

Should we post these threads to their FB page? Tweet them out? Maybe management isn't aware what is happening on the flip side.

Quote | Reply
Let me chime in as an online retailer that ships internationally for the past 16 years. USPS is a hit-and-miss company when it comes to this. PBK typically ships with a company that contracts with USPS once the package makes it to this side of the pond.

In our business, we ship a lot of packages with USPS. We use three services- First Class Int'l, Priority Int'l, and Priority Express Int'l. The latter is the most expensive, but has the most detailed tracking. First Class, which is used for small, lightweight items basically sucks, but it's very cheap if the package is less than 4lbs...but, the tracking is abysmal and sometimes shipments take up to 2 months to some places.

We have a page on our site that explains the pitfalls of international shipping, including info about customs, duties, etc., but we find that maybe 20% of our customers ever read that page, so they are surprised when they get charged duties. We do things to mitigate the fees they pay, but in some countries (Brazil for example), customers are charged at 60% duty on incoming goods if the shipment costs more than $50.

As far as lost packages...it sucks. In fact, right now, we have a customer in Spain that we shipped two packages to, on the same day. They received the smaller one, but not the larger one...three weeks ago. The larger one has nearly $500 worth of merchandise in it. USPS tracking indicates it was delivered on the same day as the first one, but the customer assures me he never got it.

So, as a retailer, what do I do? Is he lying to try to get a $500 refund? If I refund him, my small business is out $500. In many cases, the tracking is incomplete and my customer wants a refund, so I have a period of time (30 days for Priority Int'l) where if the tracking doesn't show delivery, I have to refund. Sometimes the package never turns up anywhere and is simply lost. Sometimes they end up getting it 2 months later. Sometimes it ends up back at my office several months later. That is, unfortunately, the nature of the beast when it comes to shipping internationally.

We file claims with the USPS, but if the package shows "delivered", they will never pay, and their claims process takes MONTHS!

Ultimately, as a retailer, we are obligated to "trust" the customer and refund or reship if they say they never got the shipment, and we are simply out of luck.

FWIW, when a customer disputes charges, 99 out of 100 times, the merchant gets screwed, and when tracking indicates a package has been delivered, the merchant has zero chance. eCommerce is a tough biz to be in. In your case, if tracking doesn't show delivery, it's pretty lame of them not to refund in my opinion.

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Exige wrote:

Ian

Weird thing is I ordered those tires which were under 200 like you stated but the same day I ordered a new groupset from wiggle which I understood was in the UK as well? this was over 400$ and it showed up fast with no issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to report that my SiS nutrition plus GU gel order has arrived just fine from PBK this morning, here in NZ. I was getting worried after reading this thread but all seems well.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
sneeuwaap wrote:
tetonrider wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
jaretj wrote:

jaretj

Ian

to be fair, customs fees are not a PBK-specific thing. i believe they DO warn buyers that duties may be imposed (it may be buried in the fine print). in any event, it is up to the buyer to know whether the goods they are purchasing may be subject to duties. one can find that information on the internet in the form of harmonized codes.

the issue i had is the Air City Post applies hefty processing fees on top of the customs fees. it is totally normal for shipping companies and/or processors to do this as part of facilitating the customs process. for example, UPS will front the money for the customer so as not to delay the package. what is not common is a 10x mark-up -- particularly when ACP are not taking on any risk.

I too fell for the PBK / air city post hostage demand. First time in almost 12 orders from overseas retailers. It was a couple shifters that was around $250. I got the first email and remembered this thread. I replied about the handling fee and they responded right away that it was their charge. I responded by telling them I won't pay it and ship it back to PBK. I also emailed PBK and said I refused the 'fees' and told acp to return the shipment. Also added they can refund my card of I'll start chargeback procedures with chase.

Now I get an email stating my shipment is on its way? Never give in to extortion.
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ordered a Scicon bike case from PBK and just got the Air City Post email. Looked like a scam but they had information about the order that would be hard to phish/fake/hack. Thought I'd search ST to see if it was legit. That was $60 I wasn't looking to spend but the case was 50% off so it was still several hundred dollars cheaper than other retailers so it's not a deal breaker for me. I will be very careful about ordering from PBK in the future.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another case where I should have consulted ST before making a purchase. I ordered an ISM Adamo Attack saddle for a pretty good price from them about two months ago. My situational awareness was not on tight as the company's page looked legit and I assumed it was an American company...When I got my e-mail receipt and saw the expected delivery date being a month later I had to slap myself in the head. I got the saddle though, which although I am decently happy with, is a whole discussion on its own.

It looks like the trend and best way to deal with them when orders begin to get shady is after their initial BS reply, you contest the purchase with the CC company.

"Who cares if you're in pain...no one else does" - Ryan Lochte
Quote Reply
Re: Pro Bike Kit got me! [trIInfected] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of the problem is that PBK advertises itself as PBK USA to those of us on this side of the pond. This is pretty much the first thing that pops up when I google ProBikeKit:

Welcome to ProBikeKit USA, where you'll find cycling clothing, cycling accessories, cycling components and bikes at great prices - shop now at PBK!

One would think they're dealing with a company in the USA, or at least one that has a USA presence, or shipping facility/warehouse. You'd have to make a couple of mouse clicks to figure out it's 100% a UK-based company. It's mildly deceptive at best. I've ordered tons of stuff from them over the last few years... most of which was under $200... but I did order a Zipp disc from them 3-4 years ago and I did not pay some customs ransom for that. Like I said, the case was still way cheaper even with the $60 extortion fee but I will be very skeptical about PBK going forward.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, for what it's worth, I had a completely seamless experience with PBK. Granted, my order wasn't one of those over $200 ones, but I ordered on April 10th, it was dispatched the next day, and arrived at my door (just outside Philly) today. Picked up a pair of Conti GP4000S for $88.

I guess it's just hit and miss with them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next