Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Person who was in the bike train [bens1234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Ben - great first post! I am now a fan and will be following you!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
-tamara has officially arrived. surely 1:13 flat is the best women's run ever? but the bigger story, to me, is that she held her own on the swim and bike. no woman in the sport can afford to leave T2 with her, and most would need at least a few minutes' buffer. let's see how she goes against bigger fields, because i think she's now in the discussion.

100% yes.

This is one of those delightful success stories that all the pieces of the puzzle may be falling into place.

Tamara was a very good runner - running at the national level in Canada at the U20 level and then while in college. Not crushing it but up there in the mix in the bigger races. But apparently it was just one injury after another behind the scenes - lot's of down time, rehabbing and then just when things were rolling along - boom another injury. She discovered "cross training" and then triathlon. I announced at several races that she first did in Triathlon and she had the FASTEST run splits women and men in these races. One of them was a 15km run at the end of a triathlon, that ranked in the top 5 of stand-alone 15km road running times for women, in Canada that year!!
!

Yup, she has been a legend in the Southern Ontario triathlon scene for years now. I was ahead of her and I could not believe my eyes when she passed me, and I was going about 3:55/km at the time. I really thought she was part of a relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the narrative and great context, Ben and good luck for your training and next race.
Yep: those two behind you were Sodaro and Jewett, at each timing mat anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Start list is fire; 73 MPRO [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Engner66 wrote:
Fleck wrote:
-tamara has officially arrived. surely 1:13 flat is the best women's run ever? but the bigger story, to me, is that she held her own on the swim and bike. no woman in the sport can afford to leave T2 with her, and most would need at least a few minutes' buffer. let's see how she goes against bigger fields, because i think she's now in the discussion.

100% yes.

This is one of those delightful success stories that all the pieces of the puzzle may be falling into place.

Tamara was a very good runner - running at the national level in Canada at the U20 level and then while in college. Not crushing it but up there in the mix in the bigger races. But apparently it was just one injury after another behind the scenes - lot's of down time, rehabbing and then just when things were rolling along - boom another injury. She discovered "cross training" and then triathlon. I announced at several races that she first did in Triathlon and she had the FASTEST run splits women and men in these races. One of them was a 15km run at the end of a triathlon, that ranked in the top 5 of stand-alone 15km road running times for women, in Canada that year!!
!

Yup, she has been a legend in the Southern Ontario triathlon scene for years now. I was ahead of her and I could not believe my eyes when she passed me, and I was going about 3:55/km at the time. I really thought she was part of a relay.

Two summers ago she had been aero tested by a guy in Toronto. He was telling me about her, I did a bit of research and reached out to an ex colleague saying "she doesn't have a bike sponsor, you really should look into her". It went nowhere. Then again, a certain Norwegian sent a sponsorship request in a few years before Tokyo, and they turned him down as well. So much for an eye for potential :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clarifying the situation. Hope the rest of your season goes well. It would be cool if you started your own thread about your first year journey as a pro.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great post! Would you consider going ahead and finishing what turned out to be an almost complete race report? How did T2 go? What happened on the run?

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Tritalkingfacts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Kat Matthews said you rode respectfully and that it’s an organisational error that you ended up there in the first place.

Clearly you know now next time to get yourself out of the female group, the big factor being you make the draft easier for the girls hanging on. But there are certainly no hard feelings from the pro women you were with so don’t worry about all the grumpy old men moaning here :-)

Mark

nice one
its always good when you can silcene some of the big mouth people that know everything while having no idea.
sub17project guy likes to make things up and then asks others to proof him wrong , which you have done nicely.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Kat Matthews said you rode respectfully and that it’s an organisational error that you ended up there in the first place.

Clearly you know now next time to get yourself out of the female group, the big factor being you make the draft easier for the girls hanging on. But there are certainly no hard feelings from the pro women you were with so don’t worry about all the grumpy old men moaning here :-)

Mark

nice one
its always good when you can silcene some of the big mouth people that know everything while having no idea.
sub17project guy likes to make things up and then asks others to proof him wrong , which you have done nicely.

Try getting your facts right next time. Another poster mentioned how he commented that he "enjoyed riding in a group" on the bike. It was also mentioned by the same poster that his wording could have indicated he was drafting.

I'm glad it was cleared up that it wasn't the case. I wasn't there nor were you, so you can only respond to what is said.

Another poster mentioned male pros draft zone increasing from 12m to 20m behind female pros. I wasn't aware of such a rule, so the idea of riding together does sound unusual at 20m spacing.

Anyway, I'm just glad no foul was committed. I've seen and experienced so many people drafting in races that it isn't even funny. The reality is it happens way too often and it's very much against the rules. There are lots of people that seem to take the position that they will draft until they are caught. That is not cool and needs to change.

I'd rather them go draft legal, since so many are doing it with total disregard. Pacing/drafting with your team is not legal. That seems lost on a lot of folks.
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another poster mentioned male pros draft zone increasing from 12m to 20m behind female pros. I wasn't aware of such a rule

——-
There is no rule *currently*, we have been theorizing/talking up a potential rule like this to help in this situation. But currently there is no rule for that and I theorize IM wouldn’t add it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Apr 4, 23 4:19
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Another poster mentioned male pros draft zone increasing from 12m to 20m behind female pros. I wasn't aware of such a rule

——-
There is no rule *currently*, we have been theorizing/talking up a potential rule like this to help in this situation. But currently there is no rule for that and I theorize IM wouldn’t add it.

Gotcha! That's probably why I wasn't aware of it.

I think they need to go draft legal or increase the draft zone. Just pick something the pros will be happy with at the end of the day. Going draft legal minimizes the Uber bikes. Increasing the draft zone helps Uber bikes. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, I like allowing drafting as it takes away an avenue for people to illegally draft in the AG ranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

Try getting your facts right next time. Another poster mentioned how he commented that he "enjoyed riding in a group" on the bike. It was also mentioned by the same poster that his wording could have indicated he was drafting.

I'm glad it was cleared up that it wasn't the case. I wasn't there nor were you, so you can only respond to what is said.

Another poster mentioned male pros draft zone increasing from 12m to 20m behind female pros. I wasn't aware of such a rule, so the idea of riding together does sound unusual at 20m spacing.

Anyway, I'm just glad no foul was committed. I've seen and experienced so many people drafting in races that it isn't even funny. The reality is it happens way too often and it's very much against the rules. There are lots of people that seem to take the position that they will draft until they are caught. That is not cool and needs to change.

I'd rather them go draft legal, since so many are doing it with total disregard. Pacing/drafting with your team is not legal. That seems lost on a lot of folks.

do you understand who mark is ....
and if you were not there dont make things up .
Last edited by: pk: Apr 4, 23 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

I do know who Mark is and understand what he said. Seems like no harm, no foul. I'm good with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what a relief…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

So who exactly is this "Mark" guy??? Are we talking about Mark Allen??? I doubt that I am the only STer who is uncertain about who Mark is. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
pk wrote:
So who exactly is this "Mark" guy??? Are we talking about Mark Allen??? I doubt that I am the only STer who is uncertain about who Mark is. :)
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

@EricMulk - Here you are. Mark is younger than Andy Potts so you may be too old to know him.
PS For the avoidance of doubt, you are not one of the grumpy old men to whom he's referring ;)
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 4, 23 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too will not tell you who Mark is, but here’s his face.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
pk wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

@EricMulk - Here you are. Mark is younger than Andy Potts so you may be too old to know him.
PS For the avoidance of doubt, you are not one of the grumpy old men to whom he's referring ;)

Right but I know lots of guys/girls younger that Potts. I take my dogs to a park near the U of Tennessee so I meet young UT girls almost every day. :):):)

Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Ajax Bay, kajet, Sub17Project] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

OK, so a little Googling reveals that Mark is Mark Matthews, Kat's husband. I thought maybe someone would just tell me but you guys are a hard bunch. :)

Last edited by: ericmulk: Apr 4, 23 12:14
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
Great post! Would you consider going ahead and finishing what turned out to be an almost complete race report? How did T2 go? What happened on the run?

I guess he just ran a 1:21, a minute faster than Lawrence in #4.
Here are three reports of the race from the lead WPROs (#4, #5, #3). If Sodaro or Jewett have put something out, I have not found.
Findlay

Lawrence

Matthews

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cqp7xRMspmZ/
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Apr 6, 23 0:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

Seems Paula Findlay had a major issue with the lone male pro that was riding with the lead females in her latest YT.

Basically said the guy was a huge distraction and hampered race dynamics in terms of creating a draft for the girls behind every time she tried to separate.

This was to the advantage of the girls she was trying to drop to include Kat Matthews. Hence the reason Mark saw likley no issue with it.

I'm not advocating one position over another, but there are competing thoughts on what happened here and I'm presenting those views.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Sub17Project wrote:
pk wrote:
Tritalkingfacts wrote:
Hey Ben,

Mark

nice one

Seems Paula Findlay had a major issue with the lone male pro that was riding with the lead females in her latest YT.

Basically said the guy was a huge distraction and hampered race dynamics in terms of creating a draft for the girls behind every time she tried to separate.

This was to the advantage of the girls she was trying to drop to include Kat Matthews. Hence the reason Mark saw likley no issue with it.

I'm not advocating one position over another, but there are competing thoughts on what happened here and I'm presenting those views.

Those are reasonable points.
there is a few issues here
start times of the field, in my mind the main issue .
education of pro athletes and race referees .
who gets to start in a race with top athletes in it if there cant be enough time gaps. between male pros female pros and top amateurs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sub17Project wrote:
This was to the advantage of the girls she was trying to drop to include Kat Matthews. Hence the reason Mark saw likley no issue with it. I'm not advocating one position over another, but there are competing thoughts on what happened here and I'm presenting those views.
Stern (lone MPRO) rode at wheel #4, behind Matthews all the time (so she gained no advantage). Findlay and Lawrence needed to drop Sodaro and particularly Jewett. But those two were nicely tucked in, entirely legally, behind Stern (according. Neither Findlay nor Lawrence seemingly had the power to break the train and Matthews (in "am I OK" mode) was less motivated.
Looking at the splits (12/26/39 miles) Stern is +3 seconds at each mat, and Jewett is +5, +5 +4 behind Stern.
Matthews has said (on 'gram) she had an NP target to hit and so pushed on harder in last 10+ miles. And when she did, Findlay and Lawrence held on but Stern, Sodaro and Jewett popped off the back (+21 seconds at T2, plus Jewett's 30 sec penalty plus stopping starting and having trouble clipping in - see Outside).
So I think Findlay's assessment is fair: Jewett and Sodaro might have popped off earlier without the Stern link.

Fun fact: Sodaro ran the same time as McElroy.
Here's Bergère's 'gram:
https://www.instagram.com/...rce=ig_web_copy_link
Quote Reply
Re: Person who was in the bike train [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious & checked out some other IM races coming up & it seems like the short time between the men's/women's start is the norm. It's just a 5:00 gap at IM Texas. You'll definitely get some women swimming 50-55 & some men swimming closer to 1hr. Gotta figure out a way to put a little more time between the race starts.

Haven't watched Paula's YouTube but Stern didn't cause her to run 1:27-high. I agree that he might've helped keep the pack together. Sam couldn't get away in the men's race so maybe it still would've been hard to break up the pack with the draft zone the way it is. He expressed some thoughts on IG today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Findlay was also throwing major temper tantrums to her husband on YT only because she was injured a few years ago. So I take her opinion with a grain of salt. Tamara beat her fair and square.
Quote Reply

Prev Next