Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any pics or comments on the behind the seat tube 'wallet' and the bottom bracket storage? I.e. How much (tube, lever, co2) can fit in each, how does it snap shut/open up, does stuff rattle around much when riding?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those hydraulic Dura Ace are nice.

so for doing the upgrade on the bike there would be two components to be purchased?
The brake levers ST-R9180 for TT bikes and the Shimano Dura Ace R9100 hydraulic disc brakes system (that would include the rotors and calipers?)?

Does anyone have any info on aprox costs for those?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Are you keeping it then Kiley?

The short answer is "for now". The longer answer will be in the review I'll post in a few days. And lots of thoughts on the storage stuff
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
so for doing the upgrade on the bike there would be two components to be purchased?
The brake levers ST-R9180 for TT bikes and the Shimano Dura Ace R9100 hydraulic disc brakes system (that would include the rotors and calipers?)?

Does anyone have any info on aprox costs for those?

The calipers should be ~$160 each, so $320. The brifters should be ~$550. The rotors should be ~$70 each, so $140. Total system cost: ~$1000

Keep in mind that these prices are close to retail (~90% of retail) because they are brand new. Over time Shimano products sink down to ~60% of retail (from the UK). So eventually these things will sell for much less.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet bike.

Interesting about your disc brakes, but I thought both shimano and sram seriously frowned on using a 140mm rotor on the front, at least for normal sized people for the high kinetic energy conditions of the road.

Is that correct ?

Why the choice to run 140mm on the front? Is it for an aero advantage?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 5, 17 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
tickyboy wrote:
based on this bike I'm guessing it tested well in recent shootout?

There's no correlation. I ordered this bike in December...it just took a long time to receive it and get it all put together the way I wanted.

That is quite fast 😅, ordered it straightaway in September and I still doesn't have it. But.........if the wonders at DB come true it would ship tomorrow. But after so many 'promises' I just can't believe it anymore. Must be because i choose the red one 😉
Just a little longer and it arrives just in time for the new shimano hydraulic DA group....
But i do like the black as well.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! will be keeping an eye on those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine's on the truck to St.G (well, hopefully already there I guess). I'll try to post pics this weekend, all the ones I have need to be resized. Similar set up to yours, Enve 7.8, BTA bottle, single rear.

Three rides thus far including a hilly TT. So far so good, except I hate the base bar. I chose the corsair drop bar on a whim (had never seen it) and as soon as I saw it I knew it was a mistake. Too low and the hoods are too far forward, I don't feel safe on it. I don't think I'm going to convince DB to swap it out, that's one failing of the consumer direct model.

Otherwise great bike, looking forward to racing it!

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
Any pics or comments on the behind the seat tube 'wallet' and the bottom bracket storage? I.e. How much (tube, lever, co2) can fit in each, how does it snap shut/open up, does stuff rattle around much when riding?

Wallet is useless, could maybe hold a couple of loose credit cards or possibly a small phone (my samsung doesn't fit). BB storage is rad. Never heard any rattling, door opens and closes securely. I've got a tube, CO2, inflator, patch kit, and multi-tool in there. I like it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got two guys from Diamondback's team that are focused on the Andean watching the thread if there are any specific questions.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I've got two guys from Diamondback's team that are focused on the Andean watching the thread if there are any specific questions.

- the current stem system is not great. and it only works with a Corsair. I had to hacksaw it to make it work with the Zipp bars. Hard for me to advise that to a regular consumer. If you like the Corsair bar, great. But I don't think it's a great bar.

What limits the stem system to only work with the Corsair? Are any other bars compatible at all or will they be? Profile Design Aeria, Zipp Vuka, etc. Shouldn't any 31.8mm bar be able to clamp in?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [sharkbaitguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:
the current stem system is not great

It's not a matter of the clamp it's a matter of the 'flanges' or 'wings' on the stem. I don't know what would stop Diamondback from offering another stem that doesn't have the 'wings' on it. This would allow for a good interface with the head tube/integrated storage while providing more optionality for after-market front ends.

All that said, I like the Corsair a lot. I don't understand why so many people have an issue with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an older set of Hed aero bars that slipped all the time...despite proper torque and friction paste...will never use a Hed aerobar again.

With that said, can anyone from Diamondback address the ability and compatibility for using other after-market aero bars?

p.s. Diamondback may want to update their information on their "Custom Studio" to address bars that may or may not be compatible. What if someone purchases a build with the intention of swapping bars only to find out after the fact that they cant?
Last edited by: sharkbaitguy: May 5, 17 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:
p.s. Diamondback may want to update their information on their "Custom Studio" to address bars that may or may not be compatible. What if someone purchases a build with the intention of swapping bars only to find out after the fact that they cant?

Then that person is dumb and can use their own stem to facilitate their idiocy. Or they can use the Corsair. Or the 3T Vola. Or the 3T Revo. Or the Profile Design Aeria.

You simply don't order a bike like this without considering and asking about compatibility of after-market parts that you wish to use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a point of reference, I believe it's the same stem and handlebar setup on the Serios. I switched to a PD aerobar setup for a couple reasons: 1) the HED Corsair bars that came on my DB had the integrated brake levers and I wanted to take full advantage of the Di2. 2) I wanted to slam the stem because a) it looks sick and b) I wanted to adjust my pad height by changing riser height (the HED Corsair doesn't allow that)

and yes, I had to do a little bit of sanding to get the PD aerobars to mate up with the stem. The stem is nice, the Di2 junction box fits in the nose cap and there's a small hole to see the red/green LED indicator.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Howdy folks,

I'm one of the "Diamondback guys" watching the thread, and will try to answer any questions I can, as I can. I'm out at St George this weekend, so will have limited time to monitor the thread, but will do the best I can. If you happen to be at the race tomorrow, please drop by the Diamondback booth at the expo and say "hi."

One thing worth noting in my responses on this and other threads; Diamondback has hired me on a contract basis to add some triathlon-specific bike fitting and technical expertise to their team as they kick the Andean project into overdrive. I'm not an employee of the company and will, as a result, be unable to speak to some issues that would require an insight into the company process and policies that I simply do not have. I'm not going to bullshit you on stuff I don't have answers for, and I'm not going to tell you stuff I don't know to be true.

Stem -

The stem on the Andean will mate to any standard 31.8 bar that doesn't have a "wing" cross section that extends any further into the clamping area than the HED Corsair it was designed to mate with. I will measure this spec and post it up on here when I can if someone doesn't beat me to it. Fair warning, might take a while. I'm flying solo here in Utah and my plate is pretty overflowing!

The Andean isn't limited to using the included, proprietary stem. You can put anything you want on there, but as the Andean has a 1" steer tube (yup!) you will likely need to use a spacer to do so.

Corsair Bar -

I'm with Kiley, I like the Corsair, but if it's not to your taste, it's relatively easy to replace... much easier than the proprietary bar/stem/extension setups on most "Superbikes". We're working to come up with some alternate options for people, and there are a couple of Profile design base bars available on the bike configuration tool now.
Having said that, I'd like to find out how much people are actually concerned about the Corsair base bar vs a concern with the flip-lite extensions. It would be super useful to disambiguate this so that I/we can accurately address people's concerns.

OK, it's 8:30 here, which means that on Expo time I'm finally going to get my body around some "lunch." Will check back when I can...

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
sharkbaitguy wrote:

Then that person is dumb and can use their own stem to facilitate their idiocy. Or they can use the Corsair. Or the 3T Vola. Or the 3T Revo. Or the Profile Design Aeria.

You simply don't order a bike like this without considering and asking about compatibility of after-market parts that you wish to use.

Totally disagree...it is "dumb" that the maker selling the product would not disclose this information...two words, customer service.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Andean seems to be screaming out for the USE Tula aerobars (http://www.ultimateuse.com/aero-handlebars). Super-aero and with disc brakes the tiny leavers might actually work somewhat effectively.

If I built one up that would be my mind-set, a 1* chain ring at the front and an aero-or-die flat course head down approach, and deep wheels to match. For anything hilly I'd use a different bike.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:
I had an older set of Hed aero bars that slipped all the time...despite proper torque and friction paste...will never use a Hed aerobar again.

With that said, can anyone from Diamondback address the ability and compatibility for using other after-market aero bars?

The issue is not (primarily) the base bar. Almost any base bar will work. The issue is really the clip-ons. The Corsair clips bolt on front-back (as opposed to top-bottom, if that makes sense). This is what limits its compatibility.

Diamondback is testing some other bars as I heard from some fitters that did work with the Serios (same stem, except 1-1/8" instead of 1" on Andean) that it is compatible with some Profile and 3T bars that have unique extension clamping systems that clear the flanges on the stem.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [Multisportsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Multisportsdad wrote:
I wanted to adjust my pad height by changing riser height (the HED Corsair doesn't allow that)

Why does this myth persist?

The HED Corsair does allow that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a simple one. What thru axles do I need to buy (and where do I buy them) that I can tighten by hand for both front and rear? I'd like to pick a pair of these up for training, and these new thru axle bikes have different threads (the rear TA for the P5-X will not work for the Andean, and vice versa) but I can't find anywhere that this thread spec is written.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Multisportsdad wrote:
I wanted to adjust my pad height by changing riser height (the HED Corsair doesn't allow that)

Why does this myth persist?

The HED Corsair does allow that.

Aside even from that, you could always have bought stand-offs and some bolts from McMaster-Carr if you wanted. Any pad carrier that bolts on - which is basically all of them - can be pedestaled. And the spacing of pad bolts is relatively consistent, like water bottle holders. For example, I've used Vision's 12.5mm and 25mm aero risers on the old Zipp VukaAero, because Zipp only made 4mm and 8mm risers for that bar. The spacing is close enough that it's an easy swap. I used Zipp VukaAero cups with Zipp risers on the Specialized Shiv (nose-cone version) because that's what I was used to. The pad hole spacing on the Zipp pads was identical to the Specialized ones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
I've got a simple one. What thru axles do I need to buy (and where do I buy them) that I can tighten by hand for both front and rear? I'd like to pick a pair of these up for training, and these new thru axle bikes have different threads (the rear TA for the P5-X will not work for the Andean, and vice versa) but I can't find anywhere that this thread spec is written.

Thanks

Through axle spec is 12mm x 1.5mm (otherwise, known as 12mm "medium thread pitch").

Rear through axle is 12mm x 142mm (length).
Front through axle is 12mm x 100mm (length)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How close are you to posting pictures of your Andean?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted earlier, but not sure if you saw it.

Is sram ok with 140mm brake rotors on the front for road use?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next