Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread
Quote | Reply
Let's use this thread as a central place to discuss this bike and platform. Maybe some of those associated with Diamondback will engage as well.

And show us your pics!

Here's my (almost) finished build:

P.S. Several of you have asked -- I will be posting a review of the bike in the next week or so on a separate thread
Last edited by: kileyay: May 4, 17 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll do my best to either answer or to find out answers (or get someone from DB to reply).

icloud photo gallery (for now): https://www.icloud.com/...lbum/#B0i53qWtHXTK5E

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bike really looks so different in Black. Nice

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
bike really looks so different in Black. Nice

When I first saw the photos of the bike in the red color scheme I thought it looked like a fully faired motorcycle, I was surprised when I saw one in person at IM Texas at how much more smaller it was than I had anticipated. Cool looking bikes and I'm happy to see companies like DB, Ventum etc coming out with a more unique design.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty cool how that lower storage area shields the inside of the crank. That's a great looking bike.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kiley,

What size frame is that? Small?

Also, wondering what saddle you are running?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't looked at all, but based on this bike I'm guessing it tested well in recent shootout?

I thought it looked pretty cool in red, black is whoa!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the "saddle of choice" was the Cobb SHC?

"It's not the most comfortable saddle to ride. But, without question, it was the most comfortable saddle to race for many years, and remains a fantastic choice."

Is the new saddle replacing the Cobb SHC? Better or worse? Can you compare the current bike to your past bikes with regards to what you like or what you miss as there are always tradeoffs with anything new and/or different?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [sharkbaitguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i shouldn't reply for rappstar, but what i am awaiting from him is a product review of the dash. i think you see the dash on that bike because he's in the middle of that review.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:

"It's not the most comfortable saddle to ride. But, without question, it was the most comfortable saddle to race for many years, and remains a fantastic choice."

Is the new saddle replacing the Cobb SHC? Better or worse? Can you compare the current bike to your past bikes with regards to what you like or what you miss as there are always tradeoffs with anything new and/or different?

In total, I prefer the DASH Stage.9 in narrow to the SHC. There are things about it that I like less, and I'm still getting used to riding it and dialing in the setup exactly. But overall, for me, it's a better saddle. But the Stage.9 is the reason I used the word "was" in that sentence you quoted instead of "is."

It's also the saddle i refer to here - "Cobb no longer makes [the HC170] saddle, but I have a stash that I can rely on for the foreseeable future. However, I've discovered a new mistress that may render that point moot..."

I'm about to post a very in-depth review of the DASH Stage.9, so I'd ask that you wait for that, as I probably answer your questions in there.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [brianwchan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brianwchan wrote:
What size frame is that? Small?

Also, wondering what saddle you are running?

It's a small.

I run the Trek/Bontrager saddles -- either the RXL or XXX. What's on there now is an RXL with alloy rails -- but I'll be replacing it with an XXX that has oversized oval carbon rails as soon as the Ritchey clamp hardware arrives to allow for that. The Andean ships with saddle clamp hardware that doesn't work for oversized carbon rails. It's the same clamp system that's on a bunch of Cervelo's, including the P5 and P5-X
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbaitguy wrote:

PS: I wrote this in response to someone who asked the same question.

First off, to be clear, the seatpost binder system is great. I honestly don't know how I managed to mess it up in Texas. This is not a flaw with this bike.

As for the rest of the bike...

- I like disc brakes way more than I thought I would. I am running full hydraulic that I can't talk about. But still, just the braking power is wicked.

- it's a LOT of bike. with race wheels on, it's a lot of surface area. You get used to it, and I had no issues, but it certainly takes some practice. Especially with race wheels. With 808/disc, it's just a LOT for the wind to hit. Now, that makes it super fast when the wind is right, but it does take some getting used to in the big winds. If you are going to race somewhere windy, you MUST train in the wind. Absolutely.

- it's heavy. Notably so. This is a big bike. On a really hilly course, I am not sure that it's faster than a good, light, aero frame. Like the Serios. Over some really hilly net-uphill TT's, I would not say it's faster than the Serios. Not necessarily slower. But not necessarily faster either. I think the weight can make up for it on the downhills, but only if you're a good descender. You need to be able to take advantage of the braking power especially to carry speed.

- on the flats, it decimates the Serios. On flat TTs, at the same power, I crush times that I was able to hit on the Serios with similar equipment (race wheels, tight clothing, etc).

- Over a net-zero course, I haven't done enough testing just because the net-zero TT loop I have takes a while to get over to. I plan to do some testing in the near future. I will say, based on what I've heard, Kiley's data will be interesting here. The best frames as just really close.

- the storage for flat stuff down by the front wheel is massive. you can store everything you need in there.

- the storage behind the seatpost is not very useful. Unlike, say, the draft box on a Trek SpeedConcept, the Andean's storage here is SUPER narrow. It's hard to even get a single tube in there. It was designed primarily for aerodynamics. And you can store stuff as a "wallet" for training. But really, it's more for "show" than function. As opposed to the "trunk" down low, which is super useful.

- the current stem system is not great. and it only works with a Corsair. I had to hacksaw it to make it work with the Zipp bars. Hard for me to advise that to a regular consumer. If you like the Corsair bar, great. But I don't think it's a great bar.

- it's a BIG frame. Make sure it will fit in your bike box, especially in a larger size. The XL is basically totally at the upper limit of my TRICO case, and doesn't really fit perfectly.

- there's a LOT of storage. May be much more than you need. I didn't end up using nearly as much as I could. I just don't carry that much. But if you want to carry a lot, they certainly make it easy.

- it's way more of a "normal" bike than it seems like. You'll get a LOT of weird looks when training, but it's actually pretty normal when you're riding it.

- did I mention that I like disc brakes? Wink After all of the experience with "aero" brakes, to have brakes that are easy to access and which work - really work - is awesome. Especially since they are easy to access and make minor adjustments to if needed. I'm using 140mm rotors front and rear; I can't imagine needing/wanting more power. If it was a really hilly course, maybe a 160mm in the front...

- it's very steep (regarding seat-tube angle). If you struggle to get steep enough, no worries with this frame. My saddle is way back. If you ride slack, it may be too steep to get the saddle really far back.

- it's a good bike. It's way less of a departure than it looks like. That's both good and bad. If you are expecting to get on it and shave minutes off your times versus another good frame, you're out of luck. It's fast in all winds. But it's heavy. It balances out. For many courses, it will be faster. But we're starting to get into the marginal gains here. For how different it looks from other bikes, it's much more normal. I'd say the P5X is similar. The biggest advantage of that bike? Super adjustable and disc brakes. The aero stuff. That's actually a surprising secondary aspect...

Anyway, it's a wild looking bike. That's surprisingly normal to ride. Whether or not that is a good thing or bad thing is up to you.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tickyboy wrote:
based on this bike I'm guessing it tested well in recent shootout?

There's no correlation. I ordered this bike in December...it just took a long time to receive it and get it all put together the way I wanted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When are those brakes going to be available to the general public?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you used your Tririg, rear-mounted cage on the road before? If so, thoughts? I wanted to like the cage, but found the grip too tight to be functional for removal. I suppose if only removing once during a race, it could work, but then training would be very challenging.

I will admit the black version of this bike is far more aesthetically pleasing.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: May 4, 17 10:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What extensions are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

No idea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

- I like disc brakes way more than I thought I would. I am running full hydraulic that I can't talk about. But still, just the braking power is wicked.

- did I mention that I like disc brakes? Wink After all of the experience with "aero" brakes, to have brakes that are easy to access and which work - really work - is awesome. Especially since they are easy to access and make minor adjustments to if needed. I'm using 140mm rotors front and rear; I can't imagine needing/wanting more power. If it was a really hilly course, maybe a 160mm in the front...

Tom A. is not happy now.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Have you used your Tririg, rear-mounted cage on the road before? If so, thoughts? I wanted to like the cage, but found the grip too tight to be functional for removal.

I have. It's too tight at first, and then it loosens up over time. The specific cage I have behind the saddle on the Andean -- which was on my Felt for some time and has been broken in -- is just right in terms of tightness and grip. I have the opposite problem on my mountain bike, where I have the cage mounted almost parallel to the ground behind my saddle. At first, it was great, because I literally could not eject bottles...but now, I eject them frequently. I just keep a spare tube in there now. Go figure.

I have one of those X-lab things that screws into the back of the post on the Andean, but I've heard they can snap off and break your seat post when struck -- and I would prefer not to risk that.

In any event, I don't understand why these other companies don't make cages that can be easily zip tied without dremeling into the carbon. TriRig has figured out that this is a desirable product attribute, but I guess nobody else has.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

I know you were asking about Jordan's SRAM group, but Shimano Dura Ace hydraulic 9180 ships next month -- I'll be picking that up for this bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorelegs wrote:
What extensions are you using?

I use the Zipp Vuka Carbon Evo 110s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So cool! I love all the new hyper bikes. I don't know really how much faster they are but they don't look like Canyons which is nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Diamondback Andean Owners Thread [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Rappstar wrote:

Tom A. is not happy now.

Tom is supposed to come down from Santa Barbara one of these days to ride it, which may change his mind...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you keeping it then Kiley?
Quote Reply

Prev Next